St. Bernardus Witbier | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,588 |  Reviews: 677

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

2.82/5  rDev -32.2%

When I went to Three Floyds I was able to drop in the Liquor Stop and saw a 4 pack of this brew, which I was excited to see. I have not seen it at Sam's or Binny's in Chicago.

A: I poured my in a pint glass where the top half is almost twice the size in diameter in the base. The beer has a pale tan tone that is very murky, with the yeast sediment drowning at the bottom. Kind of a light wooden color that would be found on a hull of an antiquated ship.

S: A light wheat yeast smell emits from this witbier, and slightly sweet. My first reaction to the smell reminds me of a cheese danish from Starbucks, but not as overwhelming.

T: There was no real taste in this beer, I am not sure if I just had a bad bottle or not. The wheat taste I am common to was very subtle and shy, and I could barely taste it. Very bland and dull

M: Nothing special here, my tongue and my mouth were only interested in trying to find the flavor I thought this beer had.

D: Since mine was lacking taste, I could not see myself having more.

I am definitely disappointed in this beer, as it never asserted itself to me.

3.92/5  rDev -5.8%

Light hazy golden straw-colored. Head retention pronounced and whitish in color.

Aroma is moderately sweet with perfumy coriander/spices with a bit of zesty citrus reminiscent of cut oranges.

Malts have a honey-like sweetness with a slight citrus finish in the taste. Hop bitterness is low with notes of coriander and dried orange peel.

Medium-light body. Smooth and light creaminess leaving a nice effervescent character from the high carbonation.

Overall pretty good representation of the style. Could have more varied/complex spices and acidity to balance out the sweetness but does carry forth the proper characteristics of the style represented.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 33cL bottle (with an expiration date of 4-08-08) into a pint glass brought on a nice two-finger head that lasted a few minutes. The beer was a cloudy, translucent, pale yellow-ochre with a few dark specks at the bottom.

This has that spicy belgian smell, though it isn't as strong as that of a tripel or quad (duh). It tastes like it smells, mildly spicy and quite pleasant; I detected a very slight sourness at the finish. Mouthfeel is dominated by tingly carbonation.

This stuff is quite drinkable; I could drink several in a sitting, and probably would if it was cheaper and easier to find around here. Every St. Benardus I've drank has been impressive, and this continues that trend. I'll be drinking this again soon.

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

A - Pours a beautiful golden amber. It is cloudy which keeps it from being transparent. It pours with a nice head, that never goes completely away.

S - Alcoholic scent with a bold yeasty scent. There are also hints of spices and cinnamon. I also pick up some honey and banana. It comes off a little bitter on the nose at first. Swirl it around and take another sniff to get through this.

T - Starts with a bite from the carbonation, but the flavors quickly begin coming through. A strong clove and flavor are apparent. The not so apparent flavors come through as honey, and banana.

M - It is a little on the thicker side for other witbiers that I have had. The yeast gives it a little bit of a cloudy feel. While moving the beer around to hit all the parts of the palate it does become rather foamy.

D - I could easily drink several of these. It is fairly light and easy to drink. The flavor also is not to far on the sweet side to keep me from another glass.

4.56/5  rDev +9.6%

4.91/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.41/5  rDev +6%

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: Poured into a tulip glass. Pours a cloudy pale white. Classic for the style. Beautiful white foamy head.

Smell: Big banana, clove. Lots of Belgian yeast in here. Floral sweetness, nice malt balance in the nose.

Taste: Clove, banana, subtle coriander spiciness. Lightly sweet malt.

Mouthfeel: Wonderful viscosity to this beer. The wheat shines through and adds a pleasantly full mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Crisp, clean, very refreshing. I can and do drink this beer often.

4.95/5  rDev +19%

Appearance - A cottony-white head, honey/gold liquid. Slightly cloudy as expected.

Smell - Mild citrus, a bit of yeast, a bit of clove, some fruit.

Taste - Lemon, touch of coriander and orange, a bit of banana bread.

Mouthfeel - Smooth - carbonation is more evident if tasted soon after poured. Additional citrus finish.

Drinkability - Very easy to drink - it could be enjoyed at any occasion.

I'm finishing my 6th bottle and find myself planning to pick up another pack.

This is my favorite witbier - it is exactly the right balance of all flavors. Compared to other witbiers the flavor of St. Bernardus Wit is unique in that the flavors are much more complex and continue to bounce around the tongue before swallowing. There are many different delicious flavors that come and go and come back again while drinking this witbier. It is a very pleasant experience.

I've seen a few reviews by some who say it is flat when poured - my guess is it could have been a bad batch? The latest bottle I've poured happens to be the oldest, with a best by date of September '09 and it's August '09 now. Whatever the case may be I suppose i've been lucky for the last five bottles i've had because every one of them has been a real delight.

The flavor is negatively impacted if poured while below 40F. This beer is best enjoyed when the bottle is taken from the fridge and left on a countertop at room temperature for 15 minutes, and then poured into a room temperature glass. The coriander is more pronounced when poured too cool; the tartness is more pronounced when poured too warm.

There is no comparison between this witbier and a Hoegaarden - to me, Hoegaarden has two distinct flavors but the St. Bernardus Wit is a kaleidoscope. Highly recommended.

Best by date 9/11/09

My first review....I will do my best to follow the review protocol but please remember I am a newbie.

Appearance-Cloudy yellow color with lots of visible carbonation. A bit lighter in color compared to other wits.

Smell-Lemon with an under current of yeast.

Taste-Perfectly smooth and balanced. I find it to be more of a lemon taste vs. other wit's orange presence. There is barely a hint of hops which seems to be typical for most wits that I have tried. Love the taste of this one!

Mouthfeel-High level of carbonation which I enjoy. Lighter and smoother than the typical wit.

Drinkability-Easily the most drinkable beer I have ever had. I know this style is typically considered a summer beer but I could have one of these anytime or with any meal.

Comments- I am a big fan of witbiers and St. Bernardus has easily become my favorite. As a reference point, Allagash white ale used to be my wit of choice but I consider that to be a distant second now. This beer is pretty pricey, but I like it so much I find myself continuing to buy it despite the price premium.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Bought one glass bottle from local grocery store. The price tag on all St. Bernardus beers are six dollars a pop at the store, but that does not keep me from buying them! This is a fairly light beer with a pleasant smell of wheat, lemons, and maybe some citrus mixed in. Goes down really smooth. Overall this is a beer I can drink everyday of the week.

4.26/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.71/5  rDev +13.2%

Tried this one on a recent trip to Bruges.
Just outstanding.
Poured professionally from glass bottle into tulip glass by a very pretty Dutch speaking waitress in a little, locally populated cafe in the side streets of the medieval quarter of the city.
Two finger head, with a slight haze but not too much compared with other wit beers.
The smell was faint but coriander and maybe cumin.
Taste was extraordinary. Clean yet flavoursome. A real nice spice without being overwhelming, a bit of orange peel and bubblegum towards the end.
I can’t recommend this highly enough. One of the best beers I’ve ever tasted.
I drank alongside a Flanders style beef stew. Went together very well.

Excellent!

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a tumbler...bottle marked "31 12 06" on the back.

golden straw color, fairly opaque, murky without particles... not quite white but very inviting...loads of carbon flowing up but a very thin frothy head that fades fairly quickly, but remains as a thin trace throughout. lace on the top, but doesn't stick. faint apples on the nose, a bit of that classic wheat smell...mmmm very fruity flavor, apple cider like even, but not tangy or spicy. reminiscent of...a syrupy fruit candy? at first just a crispness, frothy feeling...then comes around and coats the tongue with a richness you don't expect for a wit but always expect from bernardus...tingly all around, with that very round, surrounding flavor coming back from behind (think a ball of bubbles surrounded by a by warm, smooth syrupy fruitiness). Unfortunately, the flavor seems to thin out a bit, so drink quick. alchohol not really present at all...superbly easy to drink.

tip top enjoyable, quite refreshing yet still flavorful...highly recommended

St. Bernardus Witbier from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV