Witbier | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

Added by Jason on 01-06-2003

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,630 |  Reviews: 692

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

A- Milky yellowish white. Very light tan head. 70% translucent.
S- Yeast. Smells like a bakery.
T- Delicious. Slight banana taste, coriander, yeast.
M- Bubbly, finely carbonated. Definitely bottle conditioned. Palate cleansing.
D- Could drink this all week if I could afford it.

3.1/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is a little different than most white beers that i have had because its lacks sweetness. Instead it gives us a tart lemon and orange taste that leaves a tangy finish. It also has a smell that is similar to a fresh cut orange. The color is a cloudy gold and white with a white head. This beer is pretty pricey and i would probably spend my money on blanche de chambly, hoegaarden, white rascal, ect.. because they have more flavor and are cheaper. Although, it is good to try if you want a dryer white beer that is made from the brewer of hoegaarden. This beer is okay.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter.

A - Very cloudy body, pale orange in color. Looks almost like fresh-squeezed clementine juice. Or your piss after you haven't drunk any water all day, but I think the former is a more pleasant image. Nice head, but less retention than I expected. Still, an impressive display.

S - Smells great! Fruity, yeasty, refreshing smell.

T - Tastes like a bouquet of fruits without being too sweet. Lemon tartness up front, which develops into an orangey sweetness, and leaves an aftertaste of bananas. Plus a good wheaty heartiness that doesn't dominate too much. A nicely complex beer.

M - The first few sips have a rather thin mouthfeel, but as you get down to the end of the glass, where the sediment condenses a little bit, you start getting some thick, wheaty mouthfuls. Foamy and soothing. Basically turns into foam if you swish it around in your mouth.

O - St. Bernardus can do no wrong IMO and this is yet another proof of that. Great wit beer that I will definitely be drinking again and will seek out extensively next summer.

4.94/5  rDev +18.8%

A - Poured a hazy straw yellow into a tulip glass. Head was about 1 finger but dissipated quickly.

S - Smells like your average witbier.... citrusy and wheaty. Very enticing, while at the same time reminding of lesser beers of its type.

T - Wow! Tart, lemon citrus, wheat, clove, and other spices come to mind. This is exactly what I want out of a beer. Simple, light, easy to drink, yet full of great flavor. This does not taste watered-down by any means. It's just a perfect balance. I imagine it goes well with most food.

M - Light, and refreshing, pleasant carbonation. Finishes smooth with nice carbonation, and just the subtlest hint of bitterness.

O - This is the best witbier I've had (I've had Hoegaarden, Alagash, Blance De Chamby, Hitachino.. etc), and this style is really one of the best, in my opinion. I think this beer is a bit underrated and deserves more attention on BA.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hazy yellow, almost opaque. Light colored. Thick fluffy head on pouring that dissipated quite quickly. Very little lacing.

Nice funky yeasty spicy aroma! After warming, slight notes of citrus aroma when swirled.

Citrusy taste. Zero bitterness. Hint of tartness, especially after it warmed up a bit. Finishes spicy. Slight tart aftertaste.

Sharp carbonation gives it a very good crisp feel, without going down rough. There's a sense of body to the mouthfeel; doesn't feel lightweight (which some wheats suffer from).

Nice burps after drinking! I enjoyed it! Overall very impressive!

Wow! THIS is what a wit should taste like! Very delicate, creamy mouthfeel, and a great companion to a spicy dish.

LOVE!

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

4.64/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A greatly balanced piece. Typical cloudy look. Complex flavor with citrus notes as well as spicy (black pepper/coriander). High carbonation typical for the style. Excellent drinkability.

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%

Rather good witbier here. Not my style at all, got this from a friend but I'm impressed. Smells spicy, yeasty, clovey. This has an excellent mouthfeel. Might be the first time I've ever thought that from a beer. It's a creamy carbonation. Tastes nice and spicy. Light n' tasty. I love when a beer surprises you. Drinkability is high in this, I'd have lots more if I had anymore. Well done.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried this one out as part of a special 6-pack featuring multiple St. Bernardus beers. 11.2oz bottle.

The beer poured a cloudy, but bright orange with a thin head of clean white foam. Orange and coriander were apparent up front. Notes of pine came through the nose as well. The taste was quite clean with the expected citrus zest and wheat coming through. This beer is quite clean in the mouth with lots of flavor up front, but is also light and sharp with limited residual sweetness once you swollow. Overall, this is a very nice light wheat beer with great flavor that very drinkable.

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle that came in St. Bernardus 6 mixed pack. Severed in goblet.

I could see the cloudiness in the bottle when I held it up to the light. Looks golden and cloudy like you would expect from an unfiltered Wit.

Smells of wheat with a hint of salt and small hint of must.

Tastes...funky but not bad funky if you know what I mean. I did not expect that. Hits me at first that this is sort of like a weak sour. Has notes similar to Westbrook Gose does in middle of it's flavor ride. Taking more of a taste, I taste wheat and feel the nice carbonation and then taste slight bit of cherries all in the first second and then it switches to the weak alka seltzer/musty cellar like water taste that slowly just passes away with an elegance till only the mouth feel persists. Interesting beer. Sours are growing on me just because the flavors are so interesting but they are not flavors I can say I totally like yet but like the experience and this reminds me of a sour.

Mouth feel is very nice as it is somewhat glossy or viscous. Does not finish dry but lingers nicely.

Over all I gave it a little higher because it is well constructed, the flavors move along nicely and I know there are lots of fans that love these flavors. If someone offered me one I would be delighted and enjoy it but I would not spend my hard earned cash for what it sells for again when I could buy something else I enjoy more. Good flavorful experience but not exactly my flavors or favorite style. (For reference my favorite styles are big sweet, Belgian Strong Dark Ales, Bruins and Dubbels)

4.16/5  rDev 0%

Novice tongue weighing in.

A: A pale golden pour with two fingers of very sticky head that hung around for a while sticking to the edge. Pretty white.
S: Picking up very strong citrus in orange and lemon.
T: It's fruity without being overpowering. Strong banana-ish flavors in the beginning with almost a coffee finish.
MF: Very light to the palate. Very carbonated. Not too offensive.
O: A pretty great beer! A fantastic blend of flavor for a Witbier.

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured a 33 cl bottle into a witbier glass.

Very cloudy sepia/gold, with 1 cm head, and nice lacing. Visible flaky sediment.

Aroma of citrus, coriander, and slight yeastiness. Not a heavily spiced aroma, as some Wits can be.

My expectations of taste up to this point, is that it would be fairly average, yet respectable. To my delight, I found it to be an exceptional balance of orange/lemon restrained tartness, yeasty sweetish twang, and a nice mild peppery finish. I was impressed how these taste elements seem to layer with one another, as opposed to a quick fire succession of sweet>spice>tart as in many Wits.

Medium mouthfeel with tight carbonation, making for a refreshing, substantial smoothness.

Extremely drinkable...

Excellent

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

S: Straw/grassy notes, slight bread, pleastantly dank, acidic.
T: Lemon, definitely coriander (I ate cilantro just a few hours earlier), mild clove (if any), white bread or yeast, finishes off with a light long-lasting bitter at the end, if you tighten the palate.
F: Carbonation, nice carbonation, all the way to the tip of the tongue. Creamy, feels cloudy & thick.

Overall, really liked this beer. Was surprised. I wanted to give it higher taste ratings, but if anything it had less than what I wrote. Mouth feel was pretty great on this one, can't go with a 5 though, just doesn't have any "crisp" or anything defining, as it was mostly just thick with decent carbonation.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in witbier glass, pours a hazy straw color, large white foamy head with great retention and lacing.

Sweet smelling, lemon and assorted citrus, strong yeast, wheat and other grassy tones.

Taste isn’t overly sweet, primarily lemon and maybe a touch of orange or tropical fruit, wheat and yeast, hints of spice. Lot going on here.

Very well carbonated, light bodied beer. Very smooth.

Very good beer, big fan of St Bernardus and this one doesn’t disappoint. Very well made and intricate wit that stands out very well for the style.

3.66/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - A nice fluffy cloud of a head sat atop the yellow goldish nectar below. Maybe slightly clearer than some other Wits?

Smell - A light sweet, citrusy, spicy bread nose but not overly strong.

Taste - A light citrus tang on top of the wheaty body.

Mouthfeel - A little creamy but I feel the carbonation is more pronounced than other Wits.

Drinkability - Easy to drink and would work nicely during a hot summer day.

My third go around with the Pierre Celis Wit. Not bad but I definitely prefer the flavor profile of their normal Wit or the Allagash offering. Still worth a try though.

Witbier from Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV