St. Bernardus Witbier | Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,609 |  Reviews: 684
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured a 33 cl bottle into a witbier glass.

Very cloudy sepia/gold, with 1 cm head, and nice lacing. Visible flaky sediment.

Aroma of citrus, coriander, and slight yeastiness. Not a heavily spiced aroma, as some Wits can be.

My expectations of taste up to this point, is that it would be fairly average, yet respectable. To my delight, I found it to be an exceptional balance of orange/lemon restrained tartness, yeasty sweetish twang, and a nice mild peppery finish. I was impressed how these taste elements seem to layer with one another, as opposed to a quick fire succession of sweet>spice>tart as in many Wits.

Medium mouthfeel with tight carbonation, making for a refreshing, substantial smoothness.

Extremely drinkable...

Excellent

3.66/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - A nice fluffy cloud of a head sat atop the yellow goldish nectar below. Maybe slightly clearer than some other Wits?

Smell - A light sweet, citrusy, spicy bread nose but not overly strong.

Taste - A light citrus tang on top of the wheaty body.

Mouthfeel - A little creamy but I feel the carbonation is more pronounced than other Wits.

Drinkability - Easy to drink and would work nicely during a hot summer day.

My third go around with the Pierre Celis Wit. Not bad but I definitely prefer the flavor profile of their normal Wit or the Allagash offering. Still worth a try though.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Waited to try this for a while...here we go

A: Wow!!! Pours a golden yellow, beautifully nontransparent with an unyielding, soapy white head...

S: A potpourri of scents emitting. Slightly tart upfront, then hints of spice, clove, and citrus following, with a slight yeast ending

T: After the head slowly dissipates, a strong clove and spice flavor are first evident. Getting past the carbonation, there is a sweetness, perhaps honey mixed with the citrus, complimenting eachother wonderfully

M: The carbonation creates a real tang on the tongue, awakening every taste bud. Rich, creamy, tart and sweet...still the head is prevalent with beautiful lacing.

D: Light and easy to drink. A pleasure to the palate...Another great Wit...-Cheers

4.91/5  rDev +18%

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

S: Straw/grassy notes, slight bread, pleastantly dank, acidic.
T: Lemon, definitely coriander (I ate cilantro just a few hours earlier), mild clove (if any), white bread or yeast, finishes off with a light long-lasting bitter at the end, if you tighten the palate.
F: Carbonation, nice carbonation, all the way to the tip of the tongue. Creamy, feels cloudy & thick.

Overall, really liked this beer. Was surprised. I wanted to give it higher taste ratings, but if anything it had less than what I wrote. Mouth feel was pretty great on this one, can't go with a 5 though, just doesn't have any "crisp" or anything defining, as it was mostly just thick with decent carbonation.

4.49/5  rDev +7.9%

As an avid follower (at least I thought I was) of the St. Bernardus brewery line, I was rather surprised to find this beer on the shelf at a local (Jacksonville) wine store (Total Wine). ABT 12 is one of my favorite beers and often finds its way into my regular drinking schedule. However, when I realized St. B purveyed a witbier, my love of a good brewery and the most drinkable beer class I've come across were combined in a truly fulfilling brew. The head is soft and flat, the color is bright blond with a tinge of orange, and the feel is perfectly effervescent. The taste is refreshing and has the characteristic coriander and orange peel flavor of many witbiers, but with a stronger, more mature aftertaste than Hoegaarden.

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am a regular Hoegaarden drinker and this was my first shot at this amazing white Belgian beer. They served it from the bottle in a Leffe glass. It was a hot summer day and I was conquered by the amazing freshness of the first tastes. I have tasted many a white beers but this one was truly exceptional. I wanted to have a second glass but they had served me their last bottle. I have to admit that I was disappointed. This beer is truly outstanding and if you are a white beer lover, you have got to try it.

4.66/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A- pale hazy yellow. Big white head
A- coriandee, spice, Lemmon zest
T- Lovely smooth citrus/spiced wheat beer
M- High Carbonarion ended with a really nice smooth and creamy texture
O- Not much bad to say about this one. Strait forward in a good way. very sessionable. Bravo

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

Knowing that Hoegaarden was my first Belgian experience and my first Wit experience, all others that follow will end up being compared to it in my mind, but I'll try and stay away from articulating those.

The pour is completely cloudy and orange/yellow, and the head is fizzy and white and eventually settles to a thin layer that stays with it all the way. The smell is difficult to explain. I didn't catch as much citrus or sweetness as I was expecting. I was getting more of the yeast and the spices.

The taste is clean, crisp, and sweeter than the smell. Refreshes thoroughly. I enjoy the malt. After I finished each sip, I wished that sip were longer. A very drinkable version of the style. Out of the bottle, I get no watery mouthfeel, which I am thankful for, and the aftertaste is minimal. If I were to compare this to Hoegaarden in the bottle, I would say this beats it. See, I still had to mention the Hoe.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

Really good. Was expecting a little more asertiveness one way or another on the aroma. Didn't really get much beyond the wheatyness and breadyness. Do agree there is some acidity or citrusy component mixed in there but kinda hard to nail down. Kinda like that. Refreshing as all hell on the pallet. Bright yet soft; clean yet full of flavor. A smidge tart, but very drinkable. Really like this beer and seems to open and grow as it warms in the glass.

4.46/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2.25/5  rDev -45.9%

Did not enjoy too much. The first thing I noticed was a strong iron smell (like a strong mineral smell). Supposed yeast bear, but does not taste like bread. Initial taste is like mineral water (almost no flavour) then it has a "yeast" taste that becomes kinda strong, which was slightly bitter.

4.71/5  rDev +13.2%

Tried this one on a recent trip to Bruges.
Just outstanding.
Poured professionally from glass bottle into tulip glass by a very pretty Dutch speaking waitress in a little, locally populated cafe in the side streets of the medieval quarter of the city.
Two finger head, with a slight haze but not too much compared with other wit beers.
The smell was faint but coriander and maybe cumin.
Taste was extraordinary. Clean yet flavoursome. A real nice spice without being overwhelming, a bit of orange peel and bubblegum towards the end.
I can’t recommend this highly enough. One of the best beers I’ve ever tasted.
I drank alongside a Flanders style beef stew. Went together very well.

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Consistent,y one of my all time favorite beers. The look of it is picture perfect: hazy yellow with a lingering, sensual head. The smell is sort of spicy, with coriander coming through; but also a mix of orange/banana I smell. The taste is top notch. The spices are dominant, but banana, orange, and some grassy notes come through to really balance out this beer. Paired with chicken and dumplings, this is a near perfect meal!

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%