Power Plant TIPA | El Segundo Brewing Company

elsegundobrewing.com

Style: American Imperial IPA

None provided.

4.46/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy big DIPA, sadly several I have drunk lately were disappointing. I saw this beer and salivated, it sounded delicious. The beer is 52 degrees and served in a snifter. The pour on the beer was a gentle and produced a two finger frothy and creamy head. The head is bright white and left a little lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is SRM 7 a medium amber color with orange hues. The clarity of the beer is clear with visible carbonation within. The beer presentation is beautiful.

The aromas of the beer are tropical, pine, resin, biscuit, toasted malt, herbal, and grapefruit.

The beer has immense tropical, grapefruit, pine resin, biscuit, toasted malt, and herbal.

The mouthfeel is bitter and astringent and bracingly strong alcohol.

The body of the beer is full, the carbonation is medium, and the finish is long.
The beer is flavorful, full hop flavor and a strong malt backbone. The beer holds up well and delivers the punch hop heads are wanting. Recommended to try, you will not be disappointed.

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.06/5  rDev -0.2%

I signed up for Tavour a couple/few months ago & their service has really been bringing the west coast beers to this east coast imbiber! Man, my last shipment comprised two (2) boxes! I brought several bombers with me to Allentown last weekend, but my traveling companion was more into Stouts & Porters so I brought me big DIPAs home for another time.

From the bottle: "West Coast Craft"; "This behemoth of a 'Triple' India Pale Ale gets a healthy dose of hops both in the kettle and on the dry hop resulting in a nose that is straight up fruit cocktail. Truly impossible to distinguish just one note. Monstrous, yet deceptive in the same breath. Don't let this one sneak up you, lest ye be #PowerPlanted[.]"; "Smell Drink Repeat".

I Pop!ped the cap & began a slow, gentle pour into the awaiting glass. This beer was not lacking for carbonation as it created a dense, foamy, pillowy, one-finger cap of tawny head unbidden by an in-glass swirl. Color was solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity, allowing the bubbles to really shine, like a poor man's lava lamp. I agree that the nose was fruit cocktail, but there was also a good bit of fusel heat to accompany all of that sweetness. It went right into my sinus cavity & caused my eyes to water! Phew. A Triple IPA, indeed. Mouthfeel was full, kind of creamy, whether a product of the carbonation or the malt or both, but it was quite pleasant on the tongue. I was amazed at the taste - it was fruity, but not as simple as "tropical fruit", which is the flavor of the moment, nor was it entirely bitter, like grapefruit. Instead, it struck a pleasant slightly sweet fruitiness that went well amongst the ever-present alcohol. Quite simply, this was a big beer that never seemed to want to let me forget just how big it was. Finish would have been semi-dry, thanks to the fruitiness, but the inherent heat of the alcohol really dried it out to the point that I sneezed a couple of times in response to my sinuses. Phew! Nice, but one was plenty.

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev +0.5%

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

3.53/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.19/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2017-03-28
22oz bottle served in a large mug. Purchased in Medford, OR. Bottled on 020317. Left a little bit in the bottle.

Pours pretty clear amber golden with a big head and plenty of carbonation. Smell is nice -- very floral, a little juicy. Maybe a little lemon and pine in the background.

Taste is powerful. Super sweet (honey and honeysuckle), super bitter (pine and hop resin), opened my eyes and raised my eyebrows when it hit my tongue. Resin is really strong here. This is a quite nice beer.

Mouthfeel is thick, sticky, but resinously dry. Overall, good beer.

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

4.04/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap at beermongers.

This beer looks attractive enough (good head retention), but the aroma and flavor profile are awful. I would be curious to know what hops were used, as I was getting a huge aroma of nail polish and onions. The flavor profile was more of the same, with a huge burning bite of alcohol on the finish. I literally couldn't wait to dump this down the drain.

Frankly, having tried most of the IPA's and dipa's from El Segundo (which were all pretty good to excellent), this came as a complete shock. It's been a long time since I tried a beer I disliked this much. This is completely undrinkable (IMHO).

Looking through some of the previous reviews, it's almost as if I was trying a different beer, and I wonder if freshness might have been an issue. I asked the bartender at BM if he'd heard any comments about the beer, but he was pretty busy and wasn't really interested in talking about it. I did notice that the beer didn't seem to be selling all that well, and that there was virtually no banter about the beer (the beer was poured during BM's anniversary party, and so there were a number of interesting selections on tap). Weird.

Edit from 2/26/17. With some trepidation, I tried this beer again at the recent TIPA festival at NWIPA yesterday. Was told that the keg for the event was super fresh, and it showed. The beer I had yesterday had almost nothing in common with the miserable mess I sampled at Beermongers a while back. While certainly not one of the top echelon TIPA's I tried yesterday, it was by no means the worst either. The aroma profile was much more attractive (still some onion aroma, but no nail polish), as I picked up some nice tropical fruit, dry citrus, light honey and some light onion. The flavor profile replicated the nose pretty closely, and while there was still some heat from the alcohol on the finish, it was nothing like the abomination I tried at Beermongers. The beer I had yesterday was actually pretty decent, and is one I might consider ordering again. Anyway, I'm going to assume the beer I had at Beermongers was an aberration, and I've adjusted my review ratings accordingly.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.52/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev -0.7%

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours medium coppery amber with a one finger white head with good retention and thick lacing. Aroma of caramel malt, tropical fruit, piney and citrus hops, touch of onion. Flavor is caramel malt, resinous piney and citrus hop, tropical fruit, grapefruit and lemon citrus. Finishes with long lingering resinous piney hops. Medium bodied with a good creaminess. Delivers on the power plant. Bold, powerful hops that skate on the edge of astringency, but even though the caramel malt is rather dry without the sweetness many of these big IPA have to cut the bitterness, the hops are well supported. Nice hops profile and good fruit flavor, nicely balanced. It's big ABV is obvious, slightly boozy, but the hops are such a main attraction that the alcohol is mostly covered. I'm somewhat impressed that this triple IPA does not taste like a borderline barleywine, and I suspect it might not age like one, but it tastes great now as is appropriate for an IPA. Flavorful and powerful. I like it a lot.

4.31/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

poured into a pint glass. coppery orange with a white head.

smells of bitter grapefruit, hops.

taste is hop forward, grapefruit, and a little hot. given its 10.5 it hides it very well.

clean finish and extreme lacing.

another very solid effort from el Segundo.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%