Oude Gueuze Tilquin à L'Ancienne | Gueuzerie Tilquin

Oude Gueuze Tilquin à L'AncienneOude Gueuze Tilquin à L'Ancienne

Gueuzerie Tilquin
gueuzerietilquin.be

Style: Gueuze

Oude Gueuze Tilquin à l’Ancienne (6.0% alc/vol) is a spontaneous fermentation beer, produced from the blending of 1, 2 and 3 years old lambics. It is unfiltered and unpasteurized, and refermented in the bottle for at least 6 months. The lambics used were fermented and oak aged in our installations. These lambics are coming from worts brewed by Boon, Lindemans, Girardin and Cantillon breweries.

Added by Jason on 07-05-2011

#390

Ratings: 2,048 |  Reviews: 362

4.49/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Included in the first monthly "Beermageddon Night" with several people. Review is from my notes. I want to give a big thanks to Jon for bringing this to the tasting as well! Bottle says that it will age well until 2022. No time to wait, then! Poured into a teku glass from a 330ml green bottle.

Opens with a modest pop, and pours an orange amber color with some modest head at first - which slowly retracts as all volatile beers within this style do. There's some surprisingly moderate lacing on the glass, but that slowly dries out and vanishes. It's definitely syrupy looking, and quite thickened in feel. Different from the draft version that I had a few months ago, this one is not as lively in terms of carbonation or feel. In fact, the best way I could consider it is to be dead looking and hazy... Almost like an unfiltered white wine of sorts. It even leaves some grime on the glass as the dregs get poured in. However, I really love stuff like that. Again, this isn't winning a beauty contest or anything, but to me it wins me over with the ever timeless "rustic" appearance.

The flavors in the bottled version of Gueuze Tilquin can only be described as "hazy." Not muted or anything, but "hazy" in the sense that everything truly blurs together in a pretty lively and fascinating way. This being a blend of four batches of different gueuze makers, as well as differences in up to three years in the blend, you'd expect this to retain some complexity. Funky flavors are everywhere here (probably due to Cantillon), and yet there's sweet sharpness (Lindemans), and fruity, bittered orange rinds that abound (Boon). It's amazing how much this gueuze reaches for *balance*, however, when so many just allow the yeast to go crazy. There's some tangerine-filled yeastiness here, as well as a sharp soured flavor, but otherwise, it's truly jubilant and way above average for the style.

The flavor is filled with citrus, juicy funkiness, and loads of other flavors I don't think I even got on the draft version. Apricots, oranges, lemon juice, hay straws, cheese rind pungent aromas, and other bold sour yet not too overwhelming flavors. My favorite part of drinking this is the lack of overbearing acidity that always gets to me in a grueling way with gueuzes. The dregs only added more to the beer, in the fact, and reduced the boozy sweet notes and adding more to the syrupy texture. Absolutely all over the place with the blending, but again, it's very pleasant and very drinkable.

In my opinion, this surpasses the draft version for upholding the yeasty texture that makes this beer really one of a kind in the world of oude gueuzes. I could seriously drink this every day if I had the budget and patience to do so, as it's refreshing, complex, yet ridiculously balanced overall given the variety of flavors it provides. Pleasant to drink. World class for sure!

4.61/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Single 12.7 oz bottle
Best before 21/03/2022

A - hazy, golden amber in color, 1/8" white head with slippery lacing, nice effervescence

S - sour notes, light funk, green apples, citrus, white grapes,

T - sourness that puckers your cheeks, like a mouthful of sweet tarts, vinegar, green fruit, Brett, flavors I've only found in white wine,

M - very wet and thirst quenching, extreme acidity, puckering, crisp and refreshing

O - My first Gueuze that I recall. If this is how most of them are, I can see me hunting down more of this style. What a remarkable beer!

4.72/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. Back label says best before: 21/03/2022.

A- Pours a semi-hazy medium amber color with a full two fingers worth of head that retains decently before slowly collapsing to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a fluffy sheet of surface foam. Slippery lacing leaves clots behind on the glass.

S- Extremely bright aroma rushes into the nose and perks me up. Invigorating barnyard funk with lots of hints toward a sour flavor. There's also that lovely cheesy, musty funk that’s Tilquin’s signature.

T- Bold, sharp sourness in the flavor but it eases into a fruity complexity I've not witnessed in a lambic before. The astringency shoots up but then backpedals as the citrus notes take hold. Incredibly tasty with that super subtle yet captivating complex sourness and funk.

M- Dry, tingly and puckering but with a nice balance between that and some slick, thirst-quenching moisture. Lightish body and medium-high carbonation.

O- Finally! A gueuze I can really get down with! After having the overly intense Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze, I was hesitant to drop another $12-$15 on a little 12.7 oz. bottle of something I thought I might dislike. But I'm glad I took the risk as this is a very enjoyable beer. Not too sour, not too harsh. A great example of the style IMO.

Oude Gueuze Tilquin à L'Ancienne from Gueuzerie Tilquin