Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Oude Gueuze Tilquin à L'Ancienne | Gueuzerie Tilquin

Oude Gueuze Tilquin à L'AncienneOude Gueuze Tilquin à L'Ancienne
4.34/5
Outstanding
Oude Gueuze Tilquin à L'AncienneOude Gueuze Tilquin à L'Ancienne

Gueuzerie Tilquin
gueuzerietilquin.be

Style: Gueuze

Oude Gueuze Tilquin à l’Ancienne (6.0% alc/vol) is a spontaneous fermentation beer, produced from the blending of 1, 2 and 3 years old lambics. It is unfiltered and unpasteurized, and refermented in the bottle for at least 6 months. The lambics used were fermented and oak aged in our installations. These lambics are coming from worts brewed by Boon, Lindemans, Girardin and Cantillon breweries.

Added by Jason on 07-05-2011

#390

firstprev| 1976-2000 | 2001-2025 | 2026-2050  | next → last
Ratings: 2,033 |  Reviews: 358
3.62/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 mL bottle split two ways at Moeder Lambic. Reviewed 4 June 2011

Ar: Chalky, floral/fruit, unique aroma, grassy, dusty, light fink, very old dry wood

Ap: Thick white head, good retention, lace, hazy dark straw

T: Slightly sweeet, mild acidity, mild taste, acid more present at the end, lingering grapefruit-like bitterness, dusty, grassy, good subtleties, light tropical fruit, chalky, mild

M: Chalky end with warm acid, medium body, ends heavy for a geuze, very light acetic acid burn at end

O: Shows good promise, subtle, unique, chalky

4.12/5  rDev -5.1%

A nice pour at the Great Thirst 2011, Ebenezers.

A- Hazy golden orange hue with a foamy white head. It's size and retention are decent. Some legs but not much lace action.

S- Really like the funk profile going on here. A musty, cheesy basement feel, socks and sweat and all. Also oak, straw, light fruit and citrus.

T- Again, a unique funk presents itself to me. Cheese, musty old basement, oak barrel, straw grass, light fruit, apples, grapes and fruit pits.

MF- Similar to other examples. Light body with fizzy carbonation and a sharp sourness.

If you like funk this is a great one for it. Enjoyable as most good gueuzes I haves tried.

4.31/5  rDev -0.7%

A big thanks to Bobby for sharing this beer.

A: The beer pours a hazy orange color with a big white head that dies down somewhat quickly.

S: A very funky nose nose to this with a lot of the must and sweaty sock type of smells you get out of Drie Fonteinen beers. Lots of grass and green apples with a mild oak note and quite a bit of citrus.

T: The citrus and sweaty sock funk stand out quite well. Still plenty of grass and must, with a very earthy note that is reminiscent of mushrooms. As with the aroma, a mild oak note, but overall, the flavor is not quite as good as aroma.

M: The body is medium with medium to high carbonation.

O: This is a really nice gueuze. I would be happy to have this again.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

I received this as an extra from forgetfu. (he brought this back from a trip he made to Belgium)Thanks Bill!

2010-2011 edition, best before Dec 22, 2020.

Corked & Caged 37.5cl bottle with some added taping by Bill.

When I opened it, the beers rose slowly towards the opening but stopped short...got a good whiff while I watched. First impression was of green apples and a musty horse blanket smell.

Now that it's in my glass, yes to both. Very green apple like tartness, musty notes though not as strong as I originally thought.

In my glass, I see a cloudy orange coloured brew with a small but stubborn head of foam and when I tilt my glass, lots of nice lacing.

First sip and this is deliciously sour. Green apples plus a more than healthy taste of vinegar with only a slight hint of the must I mentioned. Not at all complex to my palate but damn...it works fine. A sour sour that brings ummm..the sour! Can't get any more basic than that!

Medium bodied with the carbonation bouncing back and forth between medium and high side of low, it has a nice mouthfeel and is so very easy drinking. Good lord, I love my beers that bring the sour.

I wonder, really wonder what it would be like to have this closer to the best before date..

Thanks again, Bill!

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

750 ml bottle opened at the US debut in Philadelphia at Monk’s Cafe.

A: Hazy golden-wheat colored body. Lively off-white head forms upon pouring. Sticks around for a minute or two, leaving behind spotty lacing in the glass.

S: On the cleaner end of the gueuze spectrum. A soft lemon citric aroma is central here. My palate recognizes it as quintessential Girardin (which is one of the lambics blended into this). Ever so slight mustyness.

T: Like the nose, lemon-citrus dominates. There is also a bit of sharper acidity which I’d guess comes from the Cantillon lambic. I found this to be decently complex. Some constructive criticism would want a bit more earthiness.

M: Moderate effervescence. Light to medium bodied. Restrained sourness in the finish. Acidity wasn’t crazy.

O: I liked this. I’d put its flavor profile somewhere between Girardin and Cantillon, and while it could use more complexity, I think subsequent batches (or some age) will treat this well. Hopefully it comes into the US market at a good price... cause I’d gladly toss this into my normal line up with Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, De Cam, and Girardin.

3.85/5  rDev -11.3%

2010/2011 - REF A 1011 cork - 375mL

A - Hazy golden with finger of white head, leaves a ring with spotty lacing.

S - green apples, grass/hay, with lemon.

T - Taste is a nice balance of barnyard brett and lemon rind. Nothing too complex, similar to a Cuvee Rene at a few years.

M/D - prickly and dry, wears on the palate a little more than it should.

A pretty solid gueuze blending from the new guy in Belgium, which can probably only get better,

I sampled this next to a Girardin that was bottled within 6 months of the Tilquin, and the Girardin was the clear winner. I think it would be nice to do a side by side with all 4 of the lambics he uses to really get a feel.

3.78/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy golden color, small white head forming a collar around the glass.

The smell carries a grassy, lemony funk with a bright acidity. It's not overtly funky but I think it stands out a little more. A slight hint of mint in the nose as well.

Leathery dry brettiness upfront in the taste. The sourness hits the back sides of my tongue and sort of lingers there after the finish. It's sharp and lemony. That being said I feel this is quite young. It needs the maturity of the 3 year old to create a stronger connection between the funk and the sour. Right now it's nothing remarkable and slightly better than middle of the road for me.. I will look forward to future batches.

3.58/5  rDev -17.5%

Look: Yellow golden color with a very small white head.
Smell: Horse Blanket, funk, lemon and some grass
Taste: Grapefruit, Funk, lemon, some spicy oak. Quite fruity for a geuze. Medium sourness
Mouthfeel: High carbonation with a bit thin mouthfeel
Overall: I am happy to see a new geuze blender in Beglium! It is even the first one in the French speaking part of Belgium. Their beer however, still lacks the complexity of Cantillon and 3 Fonteinen. Also I like the geuze more sour. A nice geuze to drink though

firstprev| 1976-2000 | 2001-2025 | 2026-2050  | next → last