Velvet Fog | Wild Rose Brewery & Taproom

Wild Rose Brewery & Taproom
Alberta, Canada
wildrosebrewery.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

A special blend of 50% wheat malt and 50% barley gives this unique unfiltered ale a distinctive hazy, golden colour and a fresh tangy character. The choice is clear. The beer isn't.

Added by IronDjinn on 08-04-2003

4.2/5  rDev +21.4%

I rather buy AGD! But I dont mind the taste at all. Pretty good price too. Specially on Tuesday nights, wings and beer!! oh bother, I die right there!!
grrreat taste!! & combination.
If it was from Ontraio, I'd never would of looked at it though.
ALBERTA ROCKS!! so anything that comes out of here, I'm game.

4.12/5  rDev +19.1%

4.07/5  rDev +17.6%

Appearance is cloudy and orange with minimal head. Smell is mostly of citrus and wheat, also picked up grass and fruit.

Taste is also dominated by wheat and citrus, picked up pepper, bread and grass as well. Texture is very ceamy. Light bodied with good carbonation. Aftertaste is dry and spicy.

Overall, this is a decent wheat ale and good introduction to wild rose. Would recommend on tap.

Poured into pint glass.
Appearance: Cloudy yellow, with some sediment. Head is foamy and fades fast with some lacing.
Smell: Wheat and yeast.
Taste: Very, very smooth. Creamy wheat with light citrus on the finish. Coats your mouth, but no intense flavours.
Overall: Highly drinkable and enjoyable. Not super complex, but still tasty.

3.92/5  rDev +13.3%

Velvet Fog: a fitting and clever name for a wheat beer. A healthy, 2 to 4 centimetres of head sits atop a nontransparent white/yellow beer. The head forms a small, creamy layer quickly after, leaving ample and attractive but fast-disappearing lace. The appearance is, thus, not outstanding, but definitely above average. Wait until you pour the last glass from the bottled version, because, if you are one who prefers to pour the sediment, you will notice large, large pieces of sediment(possibly yeast? I am not sure if this is a hefe-style or not). Oh yes, the last glass from the bottle is where you truly see the meaning of "unfiltered," as the bottle suggests. Thick, thick, thick. Go on, drink it, it is healthy. Now, the aroma piqued my interest because of the generous hops: never have I smelt such hop presence in any other wheat beer I have tried. Note: smell immediately after pouring, with the head still full, and you will see what I mean. I thought it an interesting, atypical characteristic for a wheat beer, and one I quite enjoyed, so I rated the smell quite highly. Additionally, the aroma has wheat malt, fruit, and citrus qualities. From the bottle, Velvet Fog has perhaps a little watery mouthfeel, but nothing that detracts markedly from the taste; and the draught version lacks any of this wateriness. Tart wheat, very strong citrus flavours, and, again owing to the unusual hop level of this beer, a delightful hop finish; one that is definitely stronger than is usual for a wheat beer. Oddly, however, there is not much bitterness. Really, really taste and you will detect the hop presence. I, for one, like it. Drinkability is high--these 1-litre flange-top bottles empty very quickly. Serve me this over Calgary's other major wheat beer(Grasshopper, by Big Rock) anyday, although Grasshopper is flavourful. It will be another pint of Velvet Fog for me, however!

3.85/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance- Pours a foggy straw yellow with a finger width of bubbly white head.

Smell- Barley, malts, citrus, grainy/grassy.

Taste- Bready malts and barley with a grassy finish. Light wheat flavours. Mild flavours overall.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with light carbonation. Smooth and light creaminess to the body.

Overall- A refreshing and light wheat ale by Wild Rose. Crisp, clean flavours and a surprisingly smooth mouthfeel makes this an easy summer session brew.

3.84/5  rDev +11%

3.79/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.77/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

I have a soft spot in my heart for this brew, which is one of Wild Rose's longest running beers. I first had this at the now defunct Barley Mill south location prior to a ski run to Fernie. This beer is a great package - hazy, grainy, grassy and of course, Alberta wheat. I love the current packaging - any beer with a Mel Torme buffalo is a winner in my books.

3.74/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a hazy yellow with a tinge of orange, which makes sence considering the amount of residual yeast left in this product, definately worthy of its' name. Really no head to speak of when I poured into my glass, which dissapointed me a bit and really no lacing to speak of.

S- A little citrus, I pick up a bit of orange and lemon, but also has a soft yeasty aroma about it as well. I also smell a mild malt aroma that is pleasant and cuts through the sharpness of the citrus a bit.

T- I really liked the flavors that come through in this, which would contradict the underwhelming looks and typical smells. I detect a really nice hop finish that just catches the back of my palate. There is a nice malty sweetness that is noticeable upon immediately hitting the palate that is countered by a mildly acidic fresh lemon zestiness.

M- Nice medium body, with a delicate creaminess to it. There is also a mild carbonation that just keeps it refreshing enough to keep me anticipating the next mouthful. Good job here!

D- This is a beer that I would enjoy 3 or so of before needing to either stop or at least need to switch to something lighter, as this has lots of flavor and could in my opinion, do a decent job of filling you up. I think this would be a good beer to have with some food....probably an Asian style meal!

3.71/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured with an average-sized, off-white head that diminished to a very thin film. Body was dark-yellow and quite cloudy. Aroma was quite boring... slightly wheaty, but that's all. Thin with a bit of oiliness on the palate, average carbonation. Nice taste of light wheat, and slight bitterness in the finish. Overall, a decent beer of its style, but nothing special.

Velvet Fog from Wild Rose Brewery & Taproom