Cherry Porter | Wild Rose Brewery & Taproom

Wild Rose Brewery & Taproom
Alberta, Canada
wildrosebrewery.com

Style: American Porter

Brewed using only the plumpest, ripest whole BC cherries, each glass of Cherry Porter is lush and creamy with a fruity aroma.

Rich and sensual, the flavour is reminiscent of Black Forest cake with sweet chocolate notes and a slightly smoky character from the roasted malts.

Added by IronDjinn on 11-25-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.99/5  rDev +1.5%

Sampling a 1L pop top bottle of the 2010 batch, which was available Nov-Dec '10....

A- Love the bottle with the pop top....very royal looking bottle shape as well! Pours about as dark a black/brown as you're gonna find anywhere, and has just a tinge of cola hues around the top and bottom ring of liquid. The head is dense and puffy with caramel coloring. It retains very well, settling slowly from around two-three inches thick to about a half inch thick cloud. Lacing is sticky and foams nicely on my glass!

S- The aromas are dominated by freshly brewed coffee and a mild milk chocolate undertone. There is a dry roasted malt character to the finish with just a hint of cherry fruit....I was hoping to smell just a bit more of this. Maybe I'm smelling a vague alcohol whiff here as well....

T- The flavors are very much the same as in the aromas, with just a bit more of the cherry coming through. It starts with rich and roasted malts, followed by a blend of coffee and cocoa....it almost has a ground chicory root bitterness/dryness to it. The finish is where the essence of fruit is noticeable, which is nice actually, as it ends with just enough of crispy fresh cherry to warrant another drink of this elixir! I would definitely like to taste a little more of the cherry in future offerings however, but it is there!

M- Thick bodied, smooth carbonation and the alcohol hides well within the rich flavors provided here. The viscous nature of the brew glides gently over my palate, coating it well and giving me something to chew on. Good job in this department!

D- Normally I wouldn't be able to have more than a couple of porter style beers in a sitting but this one is different due to it's slightly sweet nature. It has a refreshing finish which makes me want more! I'd definitely have no problem enjoying this over an evening or more likely, with a meal! My only disappointment is that there's not as much cherry flavor as I was hoping for, but this is a minor complaint. Good job overall!

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Pours pitch black with a thumb of mocha head, decent retention (couple minutes), settling leaving some fine lacing.

S - Scent is definitely dominated by dark cocoa and espreso malts with a hint of cherry on the finish. The scent is muddied a bit by a chalky musty scent which is a bit odd.

T - Again, espresso and chocolate dominate, with the cherries making an appearance, but coming across quite mild. The description of Black Forest Cake is quite accurate, or alternatively some dark chocolate covered cherries. Very tasty.

M - Medium bodied, goes down smooth and leaves your palette wet and awaiting more.

D - Overall this is a very tasty offering from Wild Rose. I'm glad I picked up a bottle and I would definitely recommend it to others. Don't expect an overwhelming cherry flavour, but it's a nice change from other cherry porters I've had where the cherry is too synthetic. Higher ABV goes unnoticed as well, which is quite nice.

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

A - night sky black with tall brown head that left randoms sticky lacing
S - light dark chocolate and sweet cherry, burnt malt with light coffee notes
T - strong smoky and dark roasted malt flavours, with sweet cherry and dark chocolate building through the finish
M - smooth chewy with a carbonation kick that leaves a smoky dry sensation
D - this should be listed as a porter rather than Fruit beer, it is a legit porter with a cherry chocolate accent, a very nice offering, although I found the smokiness of it to somewhat take away from the feature flavour, BUT very drinkable

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

This was drank/reviewed on Feb 12/10

This is an absolutely gorgeous 1L swing top bottle, it's definitely one of my favorites and seems fitting that I crack this while I'm watching the opening ceromonies for the winter Olympics.

A- This pours a deep black, no light getting through this one, with 2 fingers of soft mocha like head that leaves behind a reasonable amount of lace.

S- Mainly coffee and chocolate on the nose, I guess there's a bit of sweetness from the cherries as well.

T- The taste is much like the nose, but the cherries are more pronounced and you can also pick up a woody taste. The flavors are fairly mild, but enjoyable. This doesn't remind me of black forrest cake like the label states.

M- The body is on the lighter side for a porter, but I don't mind it and I think it works with the milder flavor profile. Still manages to be fairly smooth and creamy.

D- No problem finishing this by myself, I'm actually wishing I had more. A great beer from start to finish and one that I'll pick up again for sure.

I have always liked the Cherry Porter from the big bottles, so this was a good excuse to go back to the Tap Room and try it on tap.
Black looking with only a smalll amount of light sneaking through the edges. Thin layer of foam, thin stringy lace.
Aromas of cocoa/chocolate, a little cherry sweetness, some alcohol warmth comes through as it warms. Nice porter flavors, roasted malts, a bit of smokiness. Good cherry fruit finish, noticable, but not overly sweet or artificial. Nicely balanced. Thick yet smooth mouthfeel. A nice easy to drink sipper that gets deeper and more complex as it warms up.
I always look forward to this winter seasonal.

3.69/5  rDev -6.1%

Comes in a gorgeous, giant 1L swing-top bottle. Once cracked it pours a deep, impenetrable black with a thick, high, pillowy light tan head that leaves intricate webs of lacing.

There's not much more going on in the nose other than roast, coffee and cocoa, as well as some pear like esters. And no bad thing.

The taste is a little restrained, the roast in the nose isn't as prominent in the taste, it's more like charred wood, but it's there along with coffee and baker's chocolate joined by a nice cherry sweetness that works in harmony with the overall flavor. Slightly tart in the aftertaste. The label says the taste is reminiscent of black forest cake, and I can totally see where they are coming from. Except that I hate black forest cake and I really like this beer. Go figure. Overall just a really good balance and depth of flavor.

The body is a little light and thin with a good amount of carbonation.

I drank the 1L bottle by myself, but you'd be much better off heeding the label's suggestion to share it. One litre is too much of a good thing.

I'm normally anti-fruit-in-beer but this one's convinced me that, when done right, fruit in beer can be a good thing.

Received from stagger. Thank you once again, kind sir.

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

1L swing top bottle poured into pint glass dec14 2009

A black with a giant mocha head that has great retention and leaves a fair bit of lace. as the foam slowly falls it turns to a island on top of a 1/2inch head never really falling completely

S mild coffee and chocolate and a little smoke and cherry

T tastes as it smells with a little more cherry but still quite mild, and I think this is a good thing not over the top like so many other fruit beers

M silky, smooth but a little flat but that doesn't hurt its cause to much

D well worth trying and I will be drinking this again

I drank this last month at the tap room and was a little happier with my pour at home. much warmer at home and not full to the rim allowing a head to exist. to be honest that was my only complaint with the tap room is how this beer was served. all that aside one of my favorites from Wild Rose and only wish it was brewed more often

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Serving type: 1 litre bottle and on tap at the Wild Rose Taproom I am so lucky to be a few short blocks away from.

Appearance: Dark, black with glints of dark red, off white head, thick and creamy, poured aggressively this head stays two fingers thick halfway down the glass.

Smell: Rich coffee, molasses and barley with a slight kick of cherry and lightly floral hops.

Taste: Big, rich chocolate, dark barley a tad bitter filled in with the molasses suggested in the nose. In comes the cherry in a gentle wave, warming with the alcohol and quenching with the light, hoppy finish leaving a lingering, bitter taste on the tongue with a slight warming from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Rich, smooth and...slippery? This was slick in the mouth, big and bold and a low medium carbonation. Creamy and smooth all over the place! A real treat!

Drinkability: I had to dock points here. More than a couple glasses of this becomes a bit too much. I polished off, (somwhat foolishly,) my whole 1L bottle by myself and I'll say that, although the overall experience for this porter was excellent, it is a big, rich deserty beer. This makes one or two awesome, but more than that would make it excessive, sort of like eating too much chocolate.

Bottom Line: Awesome beer! If you want something to put a good end note on your nights session, this is a damn fine offering from Wild Rose. If you are Canadian, do yourself a favor and grab a bottle of this deliciuos brew!

-Curtis

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

1 litre swingtop bottle shared with my lovely wife as per the instructions on the bottle. POured very dark brown... in fact, make that black, with a cream coloured head that laced splendidly. The appearance is really amazing, and I'm mightily impressed. Aroma of coffee, bitter cocoa and coffee. The cherry flavour is wonderfully integrated into what is a remarkably solid porter in its own right. Great cocoa and coffee flavours, with a cherry profile always lurking in the background. Bloody excellent in fact, and one of the best fruit flavoured beers I've come across. Medium body and carbonation round things off, with a slightly waming finish.

Thanks to Alex for this excellent beer!

3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours ruby black with tan one finger head. Smell - chocolate mostly, roasted malts. It doesn't really smells like cherry though, it's kinda fruity but chocolate covers it all. Taste is chocolaty and you can better taste those cherries now. But I wouldn't call this beer fruity which is not necessarily a bad thing. It is really silky and smooth, nice warming alcohol slightly showing up, I guess it's a good Christmas brew. It's pretty drinkable for it's kind, they did really good job.

2.75/5  rDev -30%

One litre bottle. Appearance- pours very dark with ruby highlites. Minimal mocha head. Nose- chocolate malt and stale cherry. Taste- sour cherry and chocolate milk powder. The components- (cherry and porter) don't seem to mingle well. The cherry is upfront and dies off quick leaving a thin bodied earthy cocoa flavoured flatish ale.

3.81/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was shopping at Sherbrooke last night for some Scottish beer, the better for my Gaelic friends to cry in today, as we watched Italy finally put an end to Scotland's Euro 2008 qualification hopes. With an armful of heather, gooseberry, and scotch ale, I had almost made it to the checkout, when this bulbous, festive-looking large bottle with the Wild Rose label on it caught my eye. A ribbon of fake mistletoe hanging around the neck, I realized it was the seasonal Cherry Porter, recently arrived from the good folks down south.

Today, after helping the Scots drown their sorrows, it's a quiet Saturday evening, HNIC about the only thing going on, and that big bottle with the kitschy holiday theme was burning a hole in the top shelf of my fridge. After glancing at the previous years' reviews, it seems that the label design and text this year haven't changed, but are amusing nonetheless. I'm not quite wrapping Christmas gifts just yet, so I just dove right in.

This beer pours a muddled, very dark brown cola hue, almost black, with some thin basal highlights, and two chubby fingers of puffy and creamy tan head, which sticks around for a few minutes, before rendering some nice sea froth splash lace around the glass.

It smells of fairly tart, kind of vegetal cherries, with mild medicinal twinges (cherry cough syrup sans the sweetness?), dry, chalky cocoa, somewhat meaty roasted caramel malt, a touch of day-old coffee, and some soft lactic sourness – a nod to the historical ways of London porter? The taste carries on with more of the tart cherries, complemented by a burgeoning caramel malt, bittersweet chocolate, a fading roasted coffee bean bitterness, lumbering milky notes, and rather tame earthy, weedy hops.

The carbonation is adequate, not too many bubbles, which perfectly suits, the body perhaps a bit too much on the light/thin side, but smooth enough, with a slight airy creaminess. It finishes off-dry, the cocoa, struggling cherry fruitiness, and understated bready caramel notes limping somewhat into that good night.

An enjoyable flavoured porter, as the extra alcohol that helps push this into seasonal delight territory is very well hidden. As for drinkability – well, I’d ask for a bit more cohesion and fullness of flavour, were it closer to the holidays and I was small enough to still plop down onto Santa’s lap. At any rate, a nice winter brew to help us cope with the next few months, until spring comes into view.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance – Poured very dark with deep oranges tinges. Head was minimal…really just a ring.

Smell – Smells like smoked cherry wood. There is some roasted malt as well and it is complimented by sweet nectar and honey. It’s nice but lacking in strength.

Taste – Almost all of sweet cherries. There are roasted malts as well as chocolate present. Bit of crystal malt and sourness too. All in all quite good. I liked to taste this one to the end of my bottle.

Mouthfeel – Lacking. Body is too thin. Carbonation was somewhat high. Meh.

Drinkability – Fine here. This beer is quite easy to down but a one liter bottle would be better for sharing.

I liked this Porter….but its nothing overly special. Still I might purchase it again at some point, maybe to share with my mother or something.

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a dark brown with a hint of red or purple to it. No head left in my chalice, but a thin tan ring in my wife's glass.

The smell is a faint smoke with a bit of fruity tartness. The smell is not very strong, but is alright.

Taste starts with semi-sweet cherries and runs back to a nutty finish, most closely resembling peanuts to us. The coffee flavour is almost absent, left as an undertone. All together it makes a pleasant taste, though nothing amazing.

The beer is a little less than medium bodied with almost nothing for carbonation. This isn't a bad thing for this beer, though a bit more thickness would benefit.

A very drinkable beer, and would be a good treat to share during a winter get-together.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Another interesting Wild Rose brew. Fresh at least. Pours a deep dark black, cloudy with good head and lacing. Smelled kind of metallic, vanilla and malt backbone. Tastes like malted sour cherries and vanilla notes. Pretty full beer, creamy with a tart sour cherry finish. Nicely carbonated. Thanks pootz.

3.82/5  rDev -2.8%

1liter Jug 1 week fresh from the Brewey. Poured a clear ruby-mahogany color with a small off white cap that goes fast to a ring...softly carbonated. Nose is interesting...coffee and cherry coke. Taste was a surprise these two tastes do marry if they are not over done..there was just enough real cherry taste to compliment the coffee and charred malt tastes giving a tart roasty cherry cola decernment. This variaton on a porter works.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

A surprise again from this brewery. Fresh seems to make a difference. A decent porter, with cherry juice which is not for all, moderat8ng the portery mouthfeel. Looked like a wine, with reddish colour and quite fruity characteristics. Very malty and try hopped. Tart finish. Thanks Pootz for sharing.

3.85/5  rDev -2%

A nice dark reddish amber beer, between the brownish and reddish states of color. A nice beige head comes, but quickly let herself out.
A sour smell is perceivable, with a teint of cherry, fruity and malt is also present.

Her taste is very particular, it has some aromas of roasted coffee and chocolate and the sourness of cherries. Not very much my cup of team but it is quite different, very good mouthfeel.

Big mucho thank you merci beaucoup to Irondjinn for providing me a bottle of this beer.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

Wild Rose's winter seasonal, with the jingle "A wild Christmas beer, only here once a year" on the label. Always throwing in a bit of humour, Wild Rose's label suggests you wrap the gifts first, then consume this beer. I should have reviewed this a long while ago. By porter standards, this is a very fine looking beer in the glass: it is nearly opaque, definitely black, although near the edges can be seen some dark brown. The reddish-brown head is as large as you want to pour, small-bubbled and fine, but one which seemd to recede quickly, leaving a ring. Lacing is a good screen, not overly thick, leaving skeleton strands on the glass. This is a handsome porter. After popping the flange-topped 1-litre bottle, I was struck with a massive smell of creamy rootbeer. An extremely creamy chocolate maltiness. In the glass, I get a very strong chocolate, French vanilla coffee aroma. I cannot smell the cherries much, but I suppose they add a little more sweetness this beer would otherwise not have. Butter, darkly roasted coffee, malty dark grains, chocolate raisins, faint faint hints of the cherry, some leather, roasted meat, and throughout it all is a vanilla-coffee cream smoothness. Superb. The taste is a little more sweet than the aroma suggested, as it hits the front of the tongue with a very vanilla-chocolate, almost syrupy feel. Definite raisins in the front as well. The coffee comparisons are inevitable, but this truly does have the same graininess as a deeply roasted fresh cup. This balances in the middle and finish, however. The aftertaste even has a definite oily, earthy hop feel. Though I cannot sense the cherries much in the aroma, or even the taste, I think they add some creaminess and sweetness to an otherwise roasted, dry beer. Plus, their sugar gives a little more alcohol. This could use a little more carbonation, because the lack of it makes for too much of a syrupy, near-cloying resin feel; but the mouthfeel is still, despite this, excelling. Full-bodied. I could drink this quite regularly--smooth, in the creamy sense of the word, sweet, with just enough dryness for balance in the finish. This would make a perfect after-dinner sipper; who needs desert in the solid form?

3.97/5  rDev +1%

It poured a deep ruby black with a thick, bubbly, noisy head that shrunk into the beer very quickly. Some lace was clinging to the glass.

On the nose, thick, toasted sweet malt came first, slight cherry sweetness second.

Creamy rich and sweet roasted malt dominates the initial flavour. A toasty burnt flavour builds over time, intermingled with the slightest hint of cherry tartness in the middle. The finish is dry, clean, and slightly roasty. The flavours are fairly simple and clean, in the Wild Rose fashion. I'm happy to say that even though the flavours are simple and clean, they're not overly weak. Definitely don't serve this too cold, or you'll miss it all.

In the mouth it feels rich and satisfying. It is extremely easy to drink. This is probably my favourite Wild Rose brew so far.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

A holiday seasonal from Wild Rose, offered in their long 1 litre brown bottle and adorned with a gold ribbon and sprig of fake holly(?), although those berries look more like cranberries, or even (ahem) small cherries if you use a bit of creative license. It's a nice package, far better than bringing wine to all of those Xmas parties you're invited to this year.

Pours out thick and black, the way it should be. When held up to the light only the faintest walnut nimbus can be seen along the bottom of the glass. It's capped by a big creamy beige head that recedes after a few sips, but leaves a wall of lace in it's wake.

Aroma at first is all big roasted malt and coffee, but as it warms up the sweetish sour scent of cherries becomes more apparent.

Once again, the flavour of cherry is only apparent after it warms up a bit. Mild sour cherry up front, while the finish is all roasted and chocolate malt, with the cherry showing up again in the aftertaste, this time bittersweet. Very interesting balance. I had my doubts about this at first, but given time the subtleties start becoming more apparent.

Mouthfeel is creamy at first, but then becomes surprisingly oily on the finish.

I'm impressed by Wild Rose this time around, the thought that was put into this porter was well worth the effort. If you're expecting a kriek lambic style flavour then forget it, the cherry flavour here is to accentuate the dark malts. Something to share with your sweet baby in front of that crackling fire on those cold winters nights, or better yet, under the mistletoe.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last