Imperial IPA (M.A.D. IPA) | Wild Rose Brewery & Taproom

Imperial IPA (M.A.D. IPA)Imperial IPA (M.A.D. IPA)

Wild Rose Brewery & Taproom
Alberta, Canada
wildrosebrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Wild Rose Brewery’s Imperial India Pale Ale is like a big bitter smack to your senses! You may not like it, but we do!

The finest Alberta malts were blended with six kinds of the freshest Pacific North West hops to create a truly inspirational Imperial IPA. Mark, Andrea and Dave have collaborated on this amazing beer to challenge your palate and amaze you with its complexity.

The result is a M.A.D. I.P.A. (get it? Mark, Andrea, Dave ...)

These hops gave their lives so that you could enjoy this beer: Apollo, Cascade, Centennial, Glacier, Simcoe & Zeus.

Added by BigBry on 01-28-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Glad I happened to be habitating once again in Cowtown for this one! Have yet to stop by the tap room to try it on draught, but I've been collecting my fair share of these brown 500 ml flip top bottles.

Pours out a flat clear light amber in hue, frothy large bubbled cream-coloured head that lingers as a thin frothy cap and leaves concentric rings of lacing to denote and record each sip.

My eyelids lightly flutter as my eyes slowly roll back into my head in a subtle bliss from the aroma. It has that Baby Bear's porridge type of balance, between biscuity and toffee malts, skipping merrilly hand in hand along with a flowery citrus and pine hop presence.

The flavour packs some whallop as well, but once again equally as balanced. Intense, rich, almost Barleywine-like malts married to ripe, pine and white grapefruit rind hops that slowly caress the palate with a certain degree of force and tooth. A sort of playful slap 'n tickle to the tastebuds, firm yet enjoyable. Mind you I only really enjoy that with my beer....

The mouthfeel is on the fuller side, smooth, velvety and creamy, with the slight oiliness expected from the hops coating the palate and throat.

This stuff is gorgeous, get as much as you can while it's still available. That note isn't for you either, it's a reminder for me, as the more you drink the less I get to.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Limited release from Wild Rose, great to see them brewing big beers, hopefully this is not the last one.

Pours bright copper colour, very clear with one finger off-white head. Good looking beer.
Smell - traditional IPA, pine, grapefruit, hops, pretty smooth, no alcohol coming through, which scores additional point for me.
Taste - extremely bitter, very hoppy - great stuff. Nice refreshing grapefruity taste upfront, bitterness all the way through, finishes dry.
Mouthfeel - smooth and creamy, very rich, full body.
Drinkable for a style. Not as drinkable as it could have been because of bitterness, but bitternes gives that beer the carachter.

Great beer. Hands down the best beer from Wild Rose I've ever tried. I'm glad I bought the case of it.

4.37/5  rDev +5%

On tap direct from the Tap Room, the winter seasonal, also available in 500 ml flip top bottles. Dark orange amber color, white foam but not alot of retention or lace. Lots of floral citrus and pine hop aroma (Chinook, Bravo, Cascade). Lots of malt which balances the big hop flavor, and keeps it from being too bitter or sharp. According to Wild Rose literature, at 80+ IBUs if you don't know/like hops, this is not the place to start. Thick, slightly oily and coating mouthfeel. My scores may be a bit biased, but it is great to have a locally made hop bomb to compete against other IIPAs. Must get more before it is gone!

$6.50 per glass at the Tap Room.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last