Barrel-Aged Cherry Porter | Wild Rose Brewery & Taproom

wildrosebrewery.com

Style: American Porter

Added by leaddog on 05-05-2013

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

750ml bottle poured into tulip 11/4/16

A cola looking liquid right down to the noisy finger of foam, no lace and it looks a little still

S sour cherry, vanilla, moldy wood, cinnamon of all things, faint root beer, bourbon, the black forest cake described on the bottle has a little burnt brown sugar and chocolate syrup on top.

T again some sour fruity notes work well with char and chocolate, cherries stronger then the barrel much to my surprise, I figured the fruit would fade with some barrel time but shes there in force

M lighter side of medium and more bubbles in the mouth then I'd guess after looking at it, I keep telling myself this isn't a 10%+ BB aged RIS as I drink it, most BB brews I try have a heavy weight where this ones somewhat light and drinkable

O perhaps one of the lighter BB aged stouts I've had but still plenty of flavor just not a big ass, thick, and intense monster

This bottles a new release from the "Rare" series, not waxed like the pic below but I'm pretty sure its the same brew.

4.21/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Deep brown with reddish edges, I swear the head has a reddish tint from the cherries. Nice looking beer.

S: Sour cherries are surprisingly pungent on the nose, reminds me a little of a bourbony flemish brown ale. Brownie-like cocoa base, a bit of vanilla.

T: Cherries are up front again with a marshmallow-y chocolate base that is quite delicate for such a big flavorful beer. Extremely easy to drink with a cherry-truffle vibe.

M: Creamy and soft on the palate, I am impressed with how mellow this is so fresh out of the barrel.

A great beer from Wild Rose, I greatly preferred this over the regular cherry porter.

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

No. 587 of 600 limited bottles from Wildrose Brewery.

Appearance - Pours a dark chocolate/cola brown with a finger of bubbly cream-coloured head.

Smell - Bourbon, oak, tart cherries, vanilla, cocoa/chocolate, red wine.

Taste - Sweet and sour cherries straight out of the gate, followed with vanilla, cocoa, red wine and light oak. Impressive flavour palate.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with light-moderate carbonation. Pleasant stickiness.

Overall - For a very limited run of bottles from Wildrose, they deliver on all fronts. Bourbon/oak flavour is at just the right level and the complex blend of flavours is cohesive. Pick up at least two bottles before they run out - one to age, and one to enjoy now.

Barrel-Aged Cherry Porter from Wild Rose Brewery & Taproom