Anger | Greenbush Brewing Company

Added by minterro on 07-21-2011

2.5/5  rDev -37%

3.45/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Aroma is pine, dark malts and a hint of mint. The flavor is grapefruit, hop resin, tangy notes and a mild/medium spicy/heat finish.

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

4.26/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle, pours black with slight mahogany hues when held to a light, huge foamy tan head, excellent retention, some lacing. Fresh, dank, citric and floral hops - mainly grapefruit, with some dark malts on the nose. Tastes include an excellent meld of roasted malts, chocolate, biscuity grain, caramel, grapefruit rind, and pine. Very creamy mouth-feel, bitterness lingers with roastiness in there as well. Overall, I really enjoyed this offering from Greenbush. I look forward to trying more of their beers.

3.58/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks to zaphog for looking out in a LNBA BIF. enjoyed from a mystery brewing tulip.

a - brew poured watery black with a thin grey white head that had some creaminess to it. hung out for a bit, but eventually vanished leaving a thin skin of heady bubbling and lace chunks on the surface.

s - strong hopping over roasted malts.

t - just like the smell, strong hopping over roasted malts. bitterness is more subtle.

m - medium bodied, decent bitterness not overly hoppy.

o - overall, not wild about this style less a few examples. just had a short's double black ipa (goodnight bodacious) and feel that this is pretty similar except the shorts had a bit more heat and the hopping on the shorts was a bit more present and gave the beer a bit more character. this one is not bad, and worth checking if you dig the style, but for me, this was just pretty good.

4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Anger last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I'm still working my way through Greenbush's lineup, I haven't had this beer before but I have had Rage before which I think is suppose to be the imperial version of this beer, I'm in the mood for a Black IPA tonight, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, I know it's fairly fresh since they just showed up. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it had a nice darker look to it that went nice with the name which I also like, Anger just seems like a fitting name for a Black IPA. It poured a nice black color that let hardly any light come through with two fingers worth of medium tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking Black IPA, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma is pretty intense and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight brown sugar like aroma to it followed by a good amount of hops that impart a pretty big resiny and piney aromas with a slight bit of citrus hops that add a little more depth. Up next comes the malts which also stick out a good deal and impart some dark, roasted, and almost charred malt aromas followed by some nice chocolate and coffee aromas and there was also a slight boozy aroma. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it was intense and fairly complex, I enjoyed it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight brown sugar flavor to it and it's followed by a nice amount of hops with some resiny, piney and citrusy hop flavors all showing up equally making for a nice and unique hop profile. Up next comes the malts which impart some dark roasted malts flavors that had a slight charred flavor to them and were followed by a nice medium amount of coffee and chocolate flavors. Towards the end I get a real slight boozy flavor followed by a medium amount of bitterness with a half and half mixture of roasted malts with some resiny and citrus hops in the aftertaste. This was a good tasting Black IPA, it was well balanced and pretty unique.

M- fairly smooth, creamy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied, with a nice amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel, it worked nicely with it and I have no complaints.

I thought this was a good beer and a good and unique example of a Black IPA, it was nicely balanced with neither the hops or the malts being too overpowering and it wasn't overly bitter. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth and the flavor did a good job at holding my attention, but I couldn't see myself drinking more than two of these, this seems like a nice fall time beer. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was enjoyable and pretty unique, I liked it. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, I don't think that there's anything that I would change with this beer, it's fine just the way it is. I would buy this bee again when in the mood for a nice and unique Black IPA and I think it's priced well, I would recommend this to anyone who likes Black IPA's. All in all I enjoyed this beer, it did remind me a lot of Rage, but much less intense which made it much more enjoyable. I thought this was a good Black IPA, I still think that Arcadia's B Craft is still my favorite Black IPA, but this beer isn't that far behind. I've been pretty impressed with these new Greenbush beers, it seems like all the beers I have had from them haven't tasted like anything I have had before and I really like that, Keep up the good work guys.

3.69/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

3.42/5  rDev -13.9%

Pour is dark brown, fairly right tan colored head. Nose has a decent amount of roast and some black licorice notes. Light char and a bit of citrus orange. Taste is even more char, heavy and dark roast, black malts, citrus and hops behind, lingering bitterness with strong lingering char. Strong carbonation on a light body, a bit slick on the back of the throat.

4.38/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

nice black with a tan-ish head on top....
smell is earthy and a bit bitter smelling.
nice porter mind of taste, moreso than a black IPA in my opinion. thick to a degree, chalky, musky and earthy bitterness. almost some espresso-like flavor, but not quite.
overall, a very decent brew but not sure which way they are trying to go with it. very good brew, but more of a porter, no? black IPA works too, I suppose but either way it tastes very good. a little thicker than I was expecting, cheers!

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

3.99/5  rDev +0.5%

A solid black brown colored ale poured cold from the 12 ounce bottle. It carries a hefty tan layer of frothy bubbles on top and leaves a serious blanket of lacing. The nose picks up an abundance of deep roasted coffee chocolate malt and sea foam piney hops. Scrumptious! The flavor delivers a unique seaweed malt and light coffee with creamy milk chocolate. It has a slight mineral water quality mixed in as well. Quite unusual but it includes a solid pine bite that's a tad funky. The body is medium at least but it has a fairly quiet, almost aqueous feel with a very delicate/ gentle carbonation. One of my favorite styles and a more than solid entry here.

3.72/5  rDev -6.3%

On tap at Pete's Garage. In the dimly lit restaurant, the beer is seemingly black, only traced with a wood-stained brown around the very edges when held up to the light. It's capped with a coffee-and-cream colored head that mellows out at a few millimeters thick and leaves small bits of wet, dripping lacing on the sides of the glass.

Chocolate malt is the first thing that my senses pick up on as I take my first whiff - it's got a hefty, dry cocoa aroma to it. Crushed coffee beans, burnt caramel, and some roasted malts make up the remainder of the malt bill contribution. Hops are in full force; leafs, mild pine, and even a small, citrus-filled finish. Reminds me a little of Shorts' Goodnight Bodacious, only this one is a little more tame and not quite as coffee-heavy.

The citric character in the nose is only amplified on the palate - heavy citrus up front; a good helping of peppery grapefruit and tangerine. It's actually almost tart for a brief moment before the leafy and herbal notes start to creep in and take over. The malts crescendo through the background and halfway through, they are in full force; slightly roasted coffee beans, cocoa powder, and some charred wood. The aftertaste is full of burnt hops with a roasty malt and faintly citric flavor combination. Medium bodied, decent carbonation with a slick and almost crisp mouth feel.

I don't know why, but I wasn't feeling the vibe on this one quite like everyone else. It was okay, but not something I would seek out or pick up again, unless I had a super-huge craving for a black IPA and there were no other one's available. I'd take both Shorts' black IPAs over this one (Bludgeon Yer Eye and Goodnight Bodacious). I guess my main complaint with this is that the citrus profile of the hops didn't mesh too favorably with the malt bill. I would have rather seen more herbal, ashy, spicy hops. Wish in one hand, I guess.

A-dark brown black color with a nice light tan head and great lacing

S-dark malt, light coffee, cocoa, pine, herbal

T-dark roasted malt, coffee, cocoa, little citrus, pine, moderate bitter finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp and smooth

O-solid black IPA, good flavors and enjoyable drinking

3.94/5  rDev -0.8%

12 ounce bottle into a teku glass. Bottled 4/25/16.

Pours near black and opaque, with a one finger head and a good amount of thin, foamy lacing. Smells of malt, citrus hops- grapefruit, orange, some chocolate, some resiny hops. I've had this before, the smell is off a bit with this bottle, getting a little sulphur. The taste is similar in leading with the malt, and the grapefruit and orange from the citrusy hops. A little chocolate, some resiny hops, some coffee. A strong amount of bitterness throughout, earthy. Smooth, dry, a good, medium body, well carbonated.

Good flavor and body, lots of hop bitterness with a good malt backbone to balance it. Very enjoyable to drink. A very traditional Black Ale. Worth a purchase.

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

Thanks to dschuster03 for sharing this growler.

A - Dark brown colored beer with a bit of khaki head that left some spots on the glass.

S - Roasted malts, little bit of bitter chocolate, floral hops. Really great smelling.

T - This is a very tasty beer that doesn't get too heavy for the style. Nice roasty malts with some good hoppyness. Very clean tasting with a touch of citrus in there to brighten it up a bit.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O - A really nice beer. Easy to drink, and has great flavors. I really liked this beer a lot and find it a great example of the style.

Anger from Greenbush Brewing Company