Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Added by minterro on 07-21-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 75 | Ratings: 523
4.58/5  rDev +15.4%

Appearance: Pours a deep, opaque black brown with a towering three and a half fingers of thick greyish tan foam.

Smell: Fairly muted aroma of toasted malt, cocoa powder, caramel, coffee and a faint, almost grape-like, fruitiness.

Taste: Faint citrus, roasted and caramel malts, cocoa, pine, some bitter grapefruit rind and a nice spicy bite. Superbly balanced.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and fairly creamy with a lightly crisp finish.

Overall, this is one of the best black IPAs I've had. Unique, complex, flavorful, and perfectly balanced, this is a beer lover's beer.

3.07/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A pitch black with a dark creamy head that has a good cling to it.

S. hop resin, malts, chocolate and coffee beans.

T. Good level of hop taste up front, some malts, full bodied, toasted nutty flavor, roasted coffee. The balance falls apart as the beer finishes with a heavy handed dose of anise that sticks to the mouth.

O. The charred lack licorice taste left a bad aftertaste and a lot to be desired. I will not be having this again.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

12oz bottle into a tulip.

a - pours a murky brown shade with a thin cap of light brown head. leaves thick rings of lacing in the glass.

s - sweet citrus, faint roasted malt, faint dark fruits, faint pine resin.

t - more of the nose. pine resin, roasted barley, faint grapefruit, faint dark fruits. has an herbal bitterness that hangs on the tongue for quite a while. really an interesting flavor profile. tastes...angry.

t - lighter in body with lighter carbonation and a medium co2 profile.

o - an interesting take on the style. not quite like any other beer i have tried. memorable, but maybe just shy of greatness. worth trying if you come across it.

4.04/5  rDev +1.8%

Had as part of a flight. Beautiful dark brown color and two finger off white head. Creamy mouthfeel, roasted and hoppy. Another solid Greenbush entry, love what these guys are doing.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A really good beer but a definite near-miss. It is gorgeous for a black IPA. As dark as a porter and the mouthfeel is comparable to porters - thick and creamy and very appealing. The taste is solid but not outstanding for a black IPA. Everything is good but nothing stands out. Roasted malt, a bit of coffee, a strong but not particularly distinct hop presence in the taste and in the nose. It is a well balanced beer for this style, which is nice - many are not - but black IPAs - to me - should be bold and distinct. I like this beer a lot and think it would be a great summer beer when you're looking for something a bit heavier. It almost but doesn't quite blow me away. But the price is right: $9.99/six. This will make it a more likely choice for me.

4.37/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one amazing beer, my fellow explorers.

The appearance is a solid jet black with mild carbonation and a beige two finger head

Smells: Roast Malt, Oats, Hops, Coffee, and Cocoa

Taste: Roast Malt, Coffee, Pine, Cocoa, and a boozy, citrus finish

Mouthfeel: Smooth and Thick!

Overall, I'd have this again in a heartbeat. Such a great beer for this time of year, when you don't want the total stout.

4.37/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Color me impressed. Pours a pure black with a thick caramel color head. Smell is of chocolate with some faint hop aroma. Taste is fantastic. Rich malts, coffee, chocolate, and then some dark fruit. Also some lighter fruits from the hops. Perfectly balanced. Mouthfeel is thick which may not be right for style. More like a hoppy stout. I'll take it though because it's delicious!

4.3/5  rDev +8.3%

I don't have a lot of experience with this style, my only other beer in the category is Founders Artist Inspired Black IPA. While I was ambivalent about that one (surprising since I'm a huge Founders fan) this offering by Greenbush is surprisingly tasty.

Appearance: Nice black appearance with a medium dark blackish head

Smell: Pleasing, slightly roasty, aroma

Taste: This is where this little gem really starts to shine. Nice malty balance to the hoppy finish. I’m reminded of a Bell's Two Heart. Really, this one is that good!

Mouthfeel: Nice hoppy mouthfeel, with a slight roasty notes..

Overall: After tasting the Founders Black IPA, I was ready to write this style off entirely. I'm glad I didn't. I'm headed back to the store for a six pack.

4.24/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Served from growler into English pint glass.

Pours a very dark brown to black color. Not much of a head, less than a finger. Appears to have low carbonation. Light lacing occurs.

The first thing that comes to mind is coffee and roasted malts when I smell this thing and since I love coffee beers and stouts in general, this smells amazing. There are some nice earthy hops behind the malt, but no real bold hop aromas hit me in the nose.

Very similar to the aroma. Big, sweet, roasty malts hit you on the first part of the taste. The hop bitterness hits next and sticks around for a little bit. Seems pretty straightforward, nothing overly complex in here, but I like that. Kind of reminds me of what I would think of as hoppy stout. Different than other "black ipas" that I've had.

Mouthfeel was a little above average. Loved the "fullness" factor of the beer, as it was a little more heavy bodied than other black ipas I've had. A little low on carbonation, although that could be from the growler. Hop flavors stick in the mouth for awhile.

Overall this was a pretty good beer. Could use a little more carbonation, but loved the full bodiedness of the beer. Hops weren't over the top like in other american black ales. They stuck out for sure, but complemented the beer rather than overtook it.

3.7/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Appears well carbonated, deep brown but opaque, a bit muddy looking.
S: Vaguely hoppy, grapefruit, not much else. As it warms I get a little bit of alcohol, and maybe even some slight butter? This might be a malt characteristic though.
T: Flavor is nice, more grapefruit, maybe some orange, mild roast, caramel, toffee flavor. Bitterness is very present but not overpowering. Not too dry which is nice, I ilke this style to have a bit of mouthfeel to it. The hops could could be a bit more interesting, but they are also perfectly fine. I like this. It's solid.
M: Medium to medium full. Could even be backed off a little bit. Might be slightly overcarbonated.
O: A pretty good black IPA, malts could be backed down a touch and hops up a bit to make it better. Fermentation could be a touch cleaner as well. But pretty solid, I enjoyed this.

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

Greenbush out of Sawyer, MI is somewhat of a relatively new brewery to Chicagoans. Believe they have been distributed here just this past year. I have seen them on tap occansionally but not as much as I would like. Big fan of their Closure Pale Ale, and this is the third time I have tried their Anger Black IPA.

I like to refer to this as Wookey Jack Lite. Which is not a bad thing to say the least. Also, the ABV lends it to be a beer in which you could have more than one at a seating. Not saying that it is sessionable, but it is a bit kinder in that regard versus other Black IPAs.

Appearance, Smell and taste are it's strengths. Jet black, great hop nose that tricks you into thinking its an IPA. But at the last second you catch that coffee and chocolate hint. Taste is very fullfilling with a smooth dry finish.

If anything, the mouthfeel is a bit lacking. Some may define this beer as being a bit watery, but I would not go that far. It just needs a bit more malt backbone.

Overall a great offering from Greenbush and enjoyable. Perfect for the cold weather season here in the Midwest when you still crave the hops but want something a little more robust.

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

This beer gushes a deep dark brownish black and a great head crowns with great lacing on my Southern Tier tulip.

Amazing aroma wafts through the senses. One of the best BIPA aromas I have experienced. The aromatics of the black roasted malt are dry and then transition directly into bold pine needle hops along with some nice fruity notes.

Cant wait for the taste after that nose. Could not stop smelling this one, just intense.

The taste is a surprise but not too surprising. It is still intense with the black malt flavor but does not have something I picked up before. Maybe the hops? But they too are intense. Mostly pine and a touch of citrus. Just a bit different than the nose but it's good. Very bitter finish.

M: Sharp and carbonated mouthfeel and slightly harsh.

I liked the aroma the most and the taste was good. I think this one was meant to be abrasive (hence the name) so I guess they hit the target. Pretty good heavy hitting black IPA. My first sample of Greenbush just a stones throw from Warren Dunes...heaven on earth.

3.87/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pored this out almost black and produced a nice two finger dark tan frothy head that has super small tight bubbles. The nose is interesting. A sweet candy cherry, slight roast, earthy, caramel, and some pine. The taste has all hops in the front then you get the slight roast character in the finish along with a bitterness. I get pine, earthiness, slight cherry sweetness, then the roasted coffee character comes in with a dry finish. The bitterness builds and takes over the flavor (malts and hops could be slightly more balanced.) Definitely a unique flavor for this style with a lot going on. This one is worth a try if you like the style but be ready for a beer that has a strong pronounced flavor and bitterness, cheers!

3.8/5  rDev -4.3%

Dark chocolate color. Aroma is nice combination of tobacco, licorice and coffee. Light carbonation, with a light, creamy mouth feel. Taste follows the nose, with malty, brown sugar sweet finish. Not heavy for a 7.6%. Not entirely sold as the fizz and flavor aren't entirely aligned, but very enjoyable for one pint.
BA lists Black Ale, but Greenbush lists as a Black IPA. Regardless, I much prefer it on tap at their brew pub to the bottle.

3.62/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: black body with a tan two finger head that leaves some lacing.

Aroma: I could smell the piney hops when I popped the cap;

Flavors: nice hoppy spice for a black IPA; roasted grains mix it up with some citrus and pine

Mouthfeel: good bitterness, medium-full body, mild-moderate fizzy carbonation feel, pine on the aftertaste, very dry

To the Point: I have had several black IPAs and this one does have a little attitude with the bitterness compared to the other ones. If you like to have an IPA with a little black lager – this is it

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

Greenbush is one of the best new mcrobreweries in 2011. In fact, when I stopped by for a taste of their brews on August 5, they had been in business less than two months.

Sawyer, MI is a small town in Michigan Harbor Country, not far from the Warren Dunes State Park. Great location, and great brews.

I stopped to sample the Sunspot, a hefeweizen, and Anger, a black IPA. It was a tough call, but I chose to buy a growler of Anger.

The growler was popped open this weekend and it has been two days of utter enjoyment. Poured into a Duvel tulip, the beer is dark as night with a frothy tan head that recedes to leave a thick coat of lacing on the glass.

On the second day of the growler, I notice a tad less carbonation and that is just fine with me. The hoppiness has also faded since it was bottled three weeks ago and this beer smells and tastes more like a smokey porter than a black ipa.

The beer gets much more complex as it's allowed to warm to room temperature. Again it tastes like a fresh Edmund Fitzgerald from Great Lakes than a two-day-old growler.

I am a satisfied customer. Greenbush really impresses me. Looking forward to a Labor Day weekend beer stop.

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured out of a growler, courtesy of Mattyb319...thanks Matt!

A- Black, quite black. A bit of burgundy around the edges when held up to the light, with a healthy tan head resting on top. Good lacing, great head retention.

S- Nice! First thing to jump out of the glass is the hops: floral, slight citrus, a hint of tropical fruit, and peaches and cream. This is coupled with a nice wave of milk chocolate and a bit of roasted malt. As the beer warms, the peaches and cream becomes less prominent and the milk chocolate comes more to the front.

T- Follows the nose, with more of the roast coming through in the taste, and the beer leaves more lingering bitterness than the aroma would have suggested. I think this is a good balance between hop character and caramel/roasted malt presence, which is what we all seem to seek out in a black ipa.

M- This is the one area in which I don't think this brew performs quite as well. It's still good, good carbonation, creamy, medium-bodied mouthfeel, but it leaves a slightly harsh finish that just doesn't sit quite right on my palatte. I will, however, give this beer credit for disguising the 7.6% abv...no alcohol presence at all, well done.

O- Great beer and I'm glad I had the chance to try this...really makes me want to get my hands on some more Greenbush brews. My buddy Matt clued me in on the great things that this brewery is putting out, and he's definitely right. If Greenbush isn't on your radar now, it will be soon.

3.24/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Fresh bottle from trade.

Brown pour with tan head. Aroma is earthy - grass, dirt. Taste is hoppy - bitter, bright notes of pine with some malt backbone (although not as pronounced as I would like).

Not my favorite but a decent offering from Greenbush.

3.79/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I dont really understand "Black IPAs" ....Theyre good, but I dont get it. Anyway, This beer is really good.
A- Aesome head retention. This is black as a porter. Nice lacing, a sure sign of a well crafted beer.
S- I smell the black patent(?) Malts and a dank piney floral hop aroma. Its quite nice, I almost smell licorice... interesting.
T- Matches the smell. I like it, I taste pretty much what I smelled, dank piney hops and dark malts. Its really a hopped up porter in my opinion, as for this style I think someone just messed up one time and said uhh its a black IPA, yeah thats it. Hah, some of the best things that happen are accidental. I like it though.
M- Outstanding. kinda chewy, full bodied, smooth, almost creamy, I love this.
Overall this is the best "Black IPA" Ive ever had. And Ive knocked back a few. Wortha try if youre into this sort of thing.

Cheers!

4.13/5  rDev +4%

Poured from bottle into snifter.

A: Nice dark brown with a gorgeous tan head. This beer looks awesome.

S: Smells piney and citrus. With a little booziness in there too.

T: Starts off a little sweet, getting citrus notes, dark malts, ending with a nice bitter pine finish.

M: Good mouthfeel, carbonation is just right.

O: This is my second offering from Greenbush, and never has a newer brewery impressed me like they have. I love everything they've done with this one, the maltiness, the hoppyness, watch out for Greenbush Brewing!

4.11/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured slowly down the side of a nonic from a 12 oz bottle. Dark in color. Light barely peeks through a dark amber window around the edges. Left a pinky thick, dark sandy colored head that was light and foamy and disappeared into a silky beer ceiling. Very light lacing.

Aroma: Coffee apparent. A subtle long grass breeze swoops in followed by a spicy chocolate. Spice slightly tickles the back of your throat.

Taste: Coffee comes through first. Its quickly followed by sweet chocolate and a grassy hop character. All is pushed aside by a tongue lashing of spicy hop character that sticks to your gums and teeth. Spice slowly fades out and leaves you with a grassy bubble gum to chew on until you take your next drink.

Mouth feel: Medium body. Its a bitter beer at 85 IBU's. The hops takeover here. Water feel at first followed by the medium body that turns into thick hop, bitter consistency.

Overall: A great beer. Solid! Has everything you could want from a Black IPA. Greenbush is coming. Look out!

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

Had on tap at the brewery.

A-Pours a deep dark brown pretty much black. One finger dark tan head rises and fades away to spotty lacing rather quickly.

S- This beer has the perfect balance in the aroma with the roasted malts and bittering hops playing the two major parts with light bitter chocolate and settle alcohol bringing up the the rest of the aroma.

T- The roasted malts in the front give way to a hint of bitter chocolate. The malts do a good job of not overkilling the palate in the front and you can tell when the light grassy hops and citrus hops kick in right afterward. The ending of the beer is a balance of roasted malts and hints of citrus hops to me.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation I think is perfect for this beer. Medium alcohol drying on the palate with each sip. Clean roasted malts and hints of bitter hops are left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly alcohol, citrusy hops, and clean roasted malts. Flavors were very balanced for this style with no off flavors present while drinking this beer.

O- This has got to be one of the best Black IPA's I have had. One of my favorite beers from Greenbush and a style they do well. The balance between roast and hop without overdoing either or is something a lot of brewers could take a lesson on. Fantastic beer

4.36/5  rDev +9.8%

"Anger," - On Tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor.

A: Pours a very dark brown with little to no lacing on my glass. However, the waitress filled my pint up to the brim (thank you!), so it may have had some at one point. It's definitely not very sticky, which concerns me that it may be a bit "watery," but we shall see.

S: Suprised. I smell a lot more hops than any roasted malts, which is not typically of many other Black IPAs that I've had. In fact, I don't smell anything else other than the hops. I believe the hops are Columbus...the smell reminds me of a beer I brewed using Columbus hops...I could be wrong on this though. Anyway, I'm partial to a strong hop presence over roasted malts in my IPAs, so I'm excited about this one.

T: You actually can taste the roasted malts in the initial drink, however, the strong hop profile takes over from there. I really like the taste of this beer...At first, I thought the hop profile faded too quickly, but now that I've drank 1/2 of it, that taste is just sticking around...which I'm pretty happy about. However, I do warn people who usually like this style because of the Roasted Malts, that you will probably be disappointed, as that is not where this beer shines. The roasted malts are a nice addition to a beer that shines in other ways that I just discussed.

M: Mid-light body for the style. It wasn't as watery as it looked, thank goodness. It has a dryer finish (thank you cotton-mouth hops!) that makes you want to drink more.

O: I want to say that this is my favorite Black IPA that I've had. Although, I really liked Stone's as well. I'd have to try them side by side to compare. If you prefer a hops-forward profile over roasted malts in your Black IPAs, then you'll enjoy ANGER. I do, so this beer is solid in my opinion. Well done Greenbush!

3.71/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Overall, very good. Not as hopped as I would expect from similar IPAs. Very refreshing and flavorful.

Greenbush is new to my market. I have tried three of their beers, and would recommend each of them. The Anger is one of the best dark ales i've had.

3.65/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into Dogfish Head IPA glass.

A: Pours a deep jet black, developing 1 1/2 inches of creamy mocha head. Thick lacing is left on the glass as the head dissipates.

S: Strong odors of roasted malt and coffee assail the nose. Tiny hints of piney hop notes are noticeable, but get overwhelmed. Pleasant, but in small doses.

T: Full disclosure, I am not a coffee drinker. I enjoy coffee notes in beer, but Anger tastes like straight black coffee, erases any pleasure I get from the bitterness of the hops. The flavor feels one-note, and fails to develop real depth. However, there are moments where dark chocolate flavor plays a large role, and these are my favorite drinks.

M: Has a very light body despite the thickness that the head appeared to promise. The carbonation appears slightly overdone. Average mouthfeel.

O: I feel that what I wrote above may sound slightly more critical than I actually feel about this beer, as I believe it solid. However, it would not be my first choice in the Black IPA variety.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last