Closure | Greenbush Brewing Company

good
ClosureClosure

Greenbush Brewing Company
greenbushbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

A different hop variety each and every time we brew a batch.

Added by TMoney2591 on 11-09-2011

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

3.4/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A- Cloudy, copper, thin off white head with decent lacing on glass.

S- My nose is failing me here...it's floral for sure.

T- My first sip gave me some strong grapefruit, but not getting it anymore. Caramel notes abound with a hint of tannic astringency if you put your tongue against the roof of your mouth after you sip it.

M- Light bodied and smooth at the end despite the medium carbonation.

O- Word on the street, this beer's hops change based on whatever Greenbush can get their hands on. It would be interesting to try the same beer brewed at different times to see how much this thing actually changes. It's an efficient pale ale, nothing mind blowing but it has it's strengths (mainly the way it finishes so smooth). I have drank all six and I can finally bring this evaluation to a closure.

3.01/5  rDev -17.3%

Huge amounts of head, grew impatient and spooned most of it out of the glass to pour the remainder into the pint glass. The Beer is a cloudy caramel color with a sweet, simple smell. Certainly tastes like an IPA, with two notes: simple hops and floral/nectar. I keep thinking it tastes like the flower on the label.

The mouth feel is very good, creamy balanced, not to bitter or alkaline.

Drinkable and hoppy, I would want this beer with cookout food, particularly sausages, brats, and spicy meats.

3.17/5  rDev -12.9%

12oz bottle, interesting look - cloudy copper with a huge head that fills half the glass, but half the ale is still in the bottle and my glass is full of foam. Mountainous rocky head recedes leaving literally large chunks of foam on the glass. Aromas are bready, earthy, spicy, caramel, citrus. Tastes are dank, earthy, rye, bread crust, pungent, grapefruit rind, slightly medicinal. Full bodied, very creamy, fairly bitter finish bordering on IPA bitterness even though the bottle says 40ibu, seems like more. Overall, this one was odd for me. Seemed like it was tainted of sorts. Maybe I'll try it again...maybe not.

3.04/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I poured a finger and 1/2 of off-white head over a beer with a nice complex looking body. Held up to the light, the coloration on this beer is interesting, a variety of yellow-orange to burnt orange colors come through. Lacing tries to cling to the glass.

I smell caramelized malt and weak, generic hops.

The front end is a light malt sweetness. The hops come in rather quickly, and it's a generic pine flavor. A little earthy tone also noted.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Carbonation a little on the weak side, but not quite flat. It has a dry, bitter finish.

This beer is interesting in that it looks much better than it is.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. The local beer store just started carrying Greenbush products a week or so ago, so I'm confident it's as fresh as can be. My bottle states a 5.90% abv. Brewed with a different variety of hops in every batch, so I'm assuming this is a fairly inconsistent beer, with varying results for everyone. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but whatever.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Gentle pour yields one finger of soft fluffy off-white head with excellent retention. Body color is a dark coppery looking blood orange, with some ruby hues when held under the light. As others have said, fairly dark appearance for a pale ale. Some bubbles lazily floating to the top. Some of the biggest walls of lacing I've ever seen. Very intense.

S - Smell is of juicy earthy hops, of an unknown variety obviously. Sweet malt presence, with tons of floral action reminiscent of lilacs, lavender, & spring daisies. At times, I feel like I'm sniffing the flower on the bottle. Smells good, but it falls short.

T - Taste is of lightly bitter hops, earthiness, lemongrass, & tons of floral notes approaching lavender and lilacs. Tastes like I'm drinking the flower on the bottle, also. Bit of a peppery type finish on this one.

M - Feel is creamy & smooth, with hop bitterness coating the palate & some floral notes leftover. Medium-full bodied.

Overall, it is a nice beer, but it seems to hang somewhere just slightly above average. High drinkability, nice flavors, decent abv, but it seems to be missing something. I would be interested to try a bottle from a different batch to see how it varies from this one. An interesting beer that I would drink again.

Greenbush Closure ---3.5/5