1825 | Greenbush Brewing Company

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

4.25/5  rDev +14.6%

3.52/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

picked up a bottle of Greenbush's 1825 last week for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. I tried this beer last month at a Greenbush tap takeover and I liked it and I thought it was a solid example of a Belgian Pale Ale and I'm interested too see how the bottled version is, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up recently so it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks pretty nice, it may not be the most eye catching, but I really like the look of it. It poured a nice and slightly hazy golden orange color that took on more of an amber orange color when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thing ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy and spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking Belgian Pale Ale, but it could have used a little more head and that would make it more true to style.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that has a slight candied sugar like aroma to it followed by a good amount of Belgian yeast being the first to show up and it imparts a light spicy aroma with some nice bubble gum and banana like aromas with a very slight hint of some of that funky Belgian yeast, but it's barely noticeable. Up next comes a noticeable herbal and slightly medicinal aroma with some fruity and dark fruit aromas coming through. Towards the end comes a pretty light alcohol aroma followed by some malty aromas with caramel malts seeming to stick out the most. This beer had a nice aroma that was fairly true to style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that bordered on being highly sweet and it has a slight candied sugar like flavor to it followed by the Belgian yeast being the first to show up and it imparts all those Belgian yeast aspects that I got in the aroma with no single flavor seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a slight herbal and slight medicinal flavor with a slight bit of alcohol coming through. Towards the end comes a little more sweetness followed by some malty flavors with caramel malts still seeming to stick out the most and it had a higher amount of low bitterness with a sweet and Belgian yeast like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting Belgian Pale Ale, it was a slightly rough around the edges, but I thought it was still pretty solid.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly cloying, slightly sticky, crisp, medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation that was just slightly prickly. The mouthfeel was nice and it was fairly true to style.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a solid example of a Belgian Pale Ale, it's not as good as some of the authentic Belgian Pale Ales, but for an American version it's pretty nice and it has just enough of those Belgian Pale Ale qualitys. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, crisp, slightly filling, and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, but I think one would be enough for me, the sweetness might start to wear on me if I have more than one. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style it was, it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style and I thought the appearance was also pretty nice. What I liked the least about this beer was the slight herbal and medicinal flavor and aroma, I could have gone without that. I would buy this beer again when I want a Belgian Pale Ale but don't want to spend the money on a imported one and I already got another one for the cellar just to see how it changes over time. I would recommend this beer to most fans of the style and people who generally like Belgian Style beers. All in all I was happy with this beer, it was pretty much just how I remember it being on tap last month. It's for sure not my favorite of the style, I prefer my Belgian Pale Ales more like Orval, but I thought for an American version this was nice and it was also good for the price. Good job Greenbush, I thought this one was pretty solid and I wouldn't mind seeing more of their Belgian Style beers get bottled, hopefully retribution, keep up the good work guys.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

3.77/5  rDev +1.6%

This blows the doors of a Westmalle dubel. There is so much going on with this one that it took me a bottle to figure it out. Pour it in a goblet and let it warm up a bit. It has high alcohol so you can sip it. It is full of yeasty, caramel sweetness but not so much sweetness as to be cloying. If is very well balanced with just enough bitterness. It is full flavored with fantastic mouth feel.

1825 from Greenbush Brewing Company