Dystopia | Greenbush Brewing Company

Reviews by StoutItOutLoud:
3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours black in color with a decent sized khaki colored head. A chewy, bready, biscuity, roasted, sweet, malty aroma jumps from the glass. It smells rock-solid, exactly what I would want a beer of this style to smell like. It's inviting, and further promises me I'm about to dive into a BIG, delicious stout.

Roasted malts followed by coffee and brown sugar comprise the flavor profile. It's only medium bodied for a russian imperial stout. For the style, I expected it to be a bit heavier. Now, this is not a thin or wimpy beer by any rate, it's just not "quite" as heavy as many other R.I. stouts.

The flavor is excellent in my book. It tastes just what I would want it to, but it does lack the "deep, dark depth, and vivid uniqueness" that I for some reason thought this beer would have. Maybe it's their nice label, but I was expecting something a bit bigger and wilder. This truly is a great beer, and one I would like to drink regularily, but it turned out to be a beer very true to it's style and not an extreme version of a style I already like.

This is an old-school, high quality russian imperial stout without any big bells and whistles. I would love to drink this everyday of my life. I like it that much. But somehow I wouldn't be excited to give it to my stout loving buddy that I only see twice a year.

3.84/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%

On tap at Ashley's in Westland for the Shorts vs Greenbush Throwdown. Dystopia pours a very deep color, but not quite dark enough to be called black - ruby shines through all of the edges. Not much of a head, but the khaki-colored skin and ring sits on top of the beer almost all the way down leaving some generous spots of lacing behind it.

For a Russian Imperial Stout, the aroma is actually quite muted. I know the beer was served a bit too cold, but even after giving it some time to warm up, it's not really bashing my sense of smell like it should be. Some roasted malts, very faint cocoa powder, and maybe even a hint of smokiness. A very light sweetness plays into the tail end, but no real scents can be drawn from it... maybe a touch of molasses or anise, but it's really hard to discern.

Luckily, the taste is much more lively than the aroma with its first swing containing a brazing of deep cocoa nibs, some toasted and roasted malts, and quite a bit of molasses and brown sugar sweetness. Alcohol is warm and tasteful without being overbearing. Some licorice, anise, and a hint of dates rests in the background, along with a fading taste of cocoa powder in the finish. Surprisingly low bitterness and no immediate hop flavors are jumping out at me. Thick bodied relative to beer in general, though it's still not quite as thick as I'd like my RIS's to be. Low-medium carbonation and a soft, smooth mouth feel.

Not a bad choice, although there are many other RIS's I'd reach for before I'd grab this one (shelf RIS's, that is). Unfortunately it was the aroma that kind of let me down. It was so muzzled, especially compared to the flavor. I really don't understand how that's possible, since flavors and aromas are so closely tied together, but I was reaching deep to pull stuff out of the nose.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

3.94/5  rDev 0%

4.09/5  rDev +3.8%

2.57/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Basic ris decent flavor,smell and mouth feel

4.06/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.94/5  rDev 0%

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

4.36/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Excellent chocolate smell... taste very similar to founders Imp Stout, which I like very much... recommend trying.

3.56/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.76/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dystopia from Greenbush Brewing Company