Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Added by divineaudio on 11-09-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 74 | Ratings: 581
4.02/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L- dark golden color
S- can smell the alcohol; hints of honey/caramel
T- very bitter at first, but dies away quickly and leaves slightly sweet aftertaste
F- medium body & carbonation; smooth and a little creamy

I'm a big fan of this beer. I get a 4 pack every 2-3 months.

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance is amber-orange, translucent, with a small amount of head. Smells citrusy and piney, malty and sweet, and some alcohol. I little more bitter than I expected upon tasting and it has a malt backbone that supports the heavy-handed hoppiness. Finishes sweet and dry and alcohol is evident. The mouthfeel brings an interesting aspect as its oily and slick. Well-carbonated. This one is a tough one to review because there is really only one other imperial ipa made with honey from Michigan. It's good and I'm glad I tried it, but I would rather have a Hopslam.

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

Description: Has a dark, deep tan look, roughly the color of apple cider with a small amount of white head and lacing. I don't think this has any bourbon aging, but bourbon/booze was the first smell I picked up. Also sweet hints of honey, grape and some sort of smoky/wood/earthy aroma. Taste was bitter, certainly more than would be expected from the smell but that gave way to sweetness...which then tasted bitter...and then sweet again on the finish. The aftertaste was a bit too sweet for me, almost cloying. Not an IPA for hop lovers. Alcohol was very apparent. The mouthfeel also defied typical IPA expectations and was thick, velvety and coated the mouth.

Suggested food pairing: Chicken pasta salad with a creamy or mayo based sauce

If you like this beer then you should also try: Curmudgeon. Definitely not an IPA, but that's what this beer reminded me of.

Overall: 4.25 (This is a good beer and I would likely drink it again) That overall rating should be qualified with the comment that this is not a typical IPA. If it wasn't written on the bottle, I'd probably guess that this is an Old Ale or Barleywine. Still though, not a bad beer. Boozy, malty and ultimately on the sweet side, it probably functions better as a slow sipper.

4.06/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance is beautiful, deep almost red amber color, almost opaque and I like that. This beer has character. Smell is fantastic!I smell apple, alcohol, and herbal-pine-citrus hops. In your face hop flower goodness. Taste is what Id expect after smelling it. This is a strong beer, the alcohol is not well hidden, but for the way this one turned out, Im digging that, its a big beer. Almost like a barley wine. Mouthfeel is nice, almost chewy, definitely not light. Its a bit on the expensive side at 15 a 4 pack, but compared to the 10 dollar 4 pack also purchased at the same time, which shall remain nameless, this one kicked its ass and was well worth it!

4.09/5  rDev +8.2%

Tatsy take on a balanced double. While the honey makes the hops more palatable for those less acclimated to the very high ibus, it can create an very busy taste profile.

4.09/5  rDev +8.2%

Good beer on its own... But in comparison with similar beers... Just doesn't crack the top offerings.

Starts sweet... But the bitterness is not playing well with the beer.

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Greenbush branded snifter

Pours a golden amber capped by a slight off white two finger head. Excellent retention, significant lacing. Tropical fruit, mango and papaya especially, floral notes round out the nose. The taste follows the nose initially, hint of caramel, the honey comes through midpalate, finishes with light grapefruit bitterness combined with light caramel and honey-tinged floral notes. Medium-bodied, moderate carbonation, slick and silky. Very nice beer. More balanced than modern day hop heads might prefer; but a solid DIPA that more seasoned veterans might enjoy more.

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance - Dark golden and very cloudy. Light carbonation but some decent lacing as it was drunk.

Smell - First bottle had a wonderful aroma - lots of honey and tangy hops. The second bottle definitely had a smell of alcohol in addition to the honey and hops.

Taste - A great balance of sweetness and hoppiness. Nice example of an IIPA. The taste lasts through the end of the beer - no diminishing as the mouth is coated.

Mouthfeel - Thick, smooth, even.

Overall - A great IIPA. Due to the high alcohol content, the desired balance of alcohol to hops and honey might be hard to achieve consistently.

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had on-tap at Boat Works in St. Clair Shores, Michigan for $6.25 a pint.

I've been wanting to have this beer for awhile, but most places where I've seen it on draft have charged insane prices... $6.25 a pint for a IIPA that's over 10% is a very fair price. Digging in...

Appearance: A dark amber color. Quite a dark red color... maybe a little darker than I usually expect from even an Imperial IPA. Two finger head sat on top when I got my pint, and it looked awesome. Lacing was sip-for-sip from top to bottom. Nearly a flawless looking beer.

Smell: Sweet. Bursting with a lot of citrus, but there's a solid earthy note as well. I can't pinpoint exactly what fruit it is, but it's a very inviting citrus and tropical aroma. I've smelled better, but this still smells outstanding.

Taste/feel: Yeah, another great beer from Greenbush that I'd give an "A" rating to. The look of it is glorious, the smell is candle-worthy, the taste follows suit with a sweet start, and then bitter, drying finish, and the mouth feel of Brother Benjamin is awesome... medium/full feel that's nearly perfect. The alcohol in this is nearly untraceable, making this a delicious, dangerous beer.

I have certainly had some better Imperial IPAs, but few better that have been over 10%. This is nearly a masterpiece of a beer, and any Double IPA fan should seek this out.

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A - Pours a great copper amber with a finger of caramel head. OK retention, with so so lacing.

S - Huge grapefruit resinous hoppy aroma, grain and caramel malts

T - Honey, resinous bitter hops, lots of sweet caramel followed by citrus rinds and more honey

M - Light bodied+, decent carbonation, quite drinkable

O - Honey and citrus rind deliciousness

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Rich burnt orange color with a perfect, full white head. Light aroma of pineapple, honey, citrus. Huge flavor, more on the sweet side of honey and caramel. Sweetness is balanced by finishing hop bitterness and tangy citrus. Very rich with miniscule signs of alcohol despite the abv. Drinks similar to barleywines I've had. Something about the flavor combo doesn't sit as well as it should in the finish. Other than that, I like it.

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%

12oz bottle, $4.49 at Drakes Party Center in Kalamazoo.

Pours dark amber with a beige, fluffy head of two inches. A solid skim coat and plenty of stringy lacing for the duration.

Aromatics lead off with pungent piney resins, dank-drizzled candies, and fruit skins. A hint of spice-dusted leather and caramel follows through.

On the full side of medium bodied with a chewy, tacky mouthfeel.

Sweet malt starts the palate but a semi-numbing hop assault quickly follows. Resinous and piney with plenty of spicy bite and warming alcohol.

Finishes with lingering malt, piney hops, and boozy alcohol.

Tasty beer but more of a Barleywine than an IIPA. The malt character is almost as big as the hops, which are one-dimensional as well.

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%

I picked up a bottle of Greenbush's Brother Benjamin last week for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. I'm continuing my way through Greenbush's lineup and I decided to go with this Double IPA tonight, I have had their Norton 11 and I thought it was good, so I have high hopes for this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter

A- The label looks ok, but I find it to be a little odd looking, it's weird. It poured a hazy brunt orange color that didn't let much light come through, when held to the light it just had a slight darker orange hue to it with two and half fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sheets of lacing behind. This is a very good looking DIPA, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight honey like aroma followed by lots of hops, there's some floral and slightly pine like aromas followed by lots of citrus hops that seem to dominate the aroma and are full of grapefruit, mango, pineapple, and citrus rind aromas with a slight peach aroma coming through. The malts show up towards the end and impart a medium caramel and bread malt aroma. This beer has a very good aroma, it's balanced yet full of citrus hop aromas that remind me of Hopslam, I think the aroma is just as good.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but not as intense and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a light honey like flavor and was followed by loads of hops mainly floral and citrus hops with the citrus hops sticking out a little more and imparting flavors of all the fruits that I picked up in the aroma, they are just a little lighter though. Up next comes some malts which impart some bready and slight caramel like flavors followed by a medium amount of warming alcohol. On the finish there's a pretty high amount medium bitterness that is right on the border of being pretty damn bitter and it had a sweet and citrus hop like aftertaste. This is a good tasting DIPA, I thought it was pretty enjoyable.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, a little creamy, on the full side of being medium bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of a DIPA, it was balanced nicely and it had a very enjoyable hop profile, but it seems to be a little short of being as good as some of the elite DIPA's. This beer had decent drinkability for the style, it was fairly smooth, not overly bitter, and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, but it was a little boozy so I think one would be enough for me, but If i didn't have anything to do the next day I could see drinking a couple of these, but it's not something I would do often. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was very good and it was so full of citrus hops that it smelled like a sweet and slightly floral fruit juice, I really enjoyed it and I couldn't stop smelling it. What I liked the least about this beer was how much the warming alcohol stuck out, it wasn't super boozy, but It was pretty warming and I think the alcohol could have been hidden just a little better. I would buy this beer again when looking for a good DIPA, but I think it's a little pricey and if it was a little cheaper I think I would buy it more often. I recommend this to anyone who likes DIPA, i think any DIPA fan would really like the aroma of this beer, I know I did. All in all I was happy with this beer and I enjoyed it, it didn't blow my mind, and I wouldn't put it up there with my top three DIPA's, but I still think it's good nonetheless and I like the fact that this beer is readily available. Greenbush is putting out some pretty good beers, I have yet to have one of their bottled beers that I didn't like, I have to say that the last couple beers from them have really peaked my interest in this brewery and they are now on the list of brewery's I need to visit, good job guys, this is a good DIPA,

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass; no bottle dating, but was released recently. Pours very hazy reddish orange color with a nice 2 finger dense cream colored head with incredible retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big orange zest, grapefruit, orange rind, peach, pineapple, pine, floral, honey, caramel, bread, floral earthiness, and pine resin. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of hop notes; with good malt balance that isn’t overdone. Taste of orange zest, pineapple, orange rind, grapefruit, peach, pineapple, pine, floral, honey, caramel, and floral earthiness. Good amount of piney citrus bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus zest, citrus rind, pineapple, peach, pine resin, floral, honey, caramel, and floral earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Fantastic balance and complexity of hop flavors; with a solid malt balance that isn’t too strong; and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a creamy, sticky, lightly slick, and lightly crisp mouthfeel that is very nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with hardly any warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a highly excellent DIPA! Great balance and complexity of hop flavors with solid malt balance; and dangerously smooth to sip on. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.22/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz. Hazy dark orange pour. A thick fine bubbled white head. Retained very well.

Aroma, Some resiny pine and citrus. Fairly balanced with some malty candied caramel.

Taste, yellow raisin and caramel. Quickly goes into heavy citrus. Grapefruit. A very dry finish, with the bitter lingering nicely.

Probably a little over medium bodied. Creamy and coating, but the dryness keeps it all in check. Alcohol is very well hidden, drinks dangerously easy.

One of the better new DIPAs I've had in a while. Would recommend even if just to try. Thumbs up for this one Greenbush.

4.24/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

At crunchys and in a bottle on 3/7/13. About $4 in a bottle and less then that at crunchys cause it was half off sunday

Very volital aroma. lots of sugary sweetness, floral, earthy, and fruity. The aroma is very unique. A decent amount of alcohol as well. Color is a murky red/brown. The head is a egg shell white and leaves globs of lacing along the snifter, dies relatively fast.

Quite hot like most of their beers. Very intense mixture of sweet and alcohol. Lots of grapefruit and citrus in this one. Piney bitter finish. very smooth medium body.

Very good beer overall. On tap I felt that it could have used a bit more of a boast in flavor but in the bottle it was as powerful as I expected.

4.37/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Beautiful orange/amber color. Pures a little hazy with about two fingers of eggshell head. Pretty sticky full layer of lacing that doesn't go away. Very good looking beer.

S- Smells excellent. Very hop forward. Floral with tons of citrus. I'm really getting a creamy orange scent. I would rate a little higher if the aroma was stronger and didn't die out quite as quick.

T- Tastes awesome. Very balanced. Very creamy. Very hoppy with a nice bitter finish. Love it.

Mouthfeel- Also excellent. Sticky sweet, medium body, and creamy. Bubbles are small and lingering.

O- Highly drinkable and alcoholic. I'd like a little heavier mouthfeel and a little more depth, but still this beer is awesome. An excellent beer from and excellent brewery.

4.39/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Outstanding beer . Beautiful amber color. Floral and a touch bitter. I found myself wanting another. It packs a punch but not anything irritating. Just really mellow. It almost has a creamy taste and is definitely hop forward. I plan to take this to our home "Up North" so I can sit on the deck and look at the lake and just feel great. Not an everyday six pack beer but who drinks those anyway??

4.39/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours that thick, dark, orangey ruddy color, that isn't all that great to look at, but often is very good. I like ales filtered or not, so, no big deal here, but really not a looker either. Anyway, smells floral, complex, somewhat boozy and sweet with little malt forwardness (a good thing). Taste is great. Mouthfeel explodes, and at the right temperature, the bitterness just sings. Great echo of the hops...really carries along. I think temperature of this one is more than key: mid-fifities and this DIPA flies. I really liked this fresh bottle. I'd buy a 4/6.

4.4/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a Spiegelau glass. I added this beer into a mix 6 pack at the Garden Center / Grocery Store in Sawyer, having somewhat high expectations as it was $3.99/bottle.

A: Pours a medium brown color with over a finger of off white head that reduces fairly slowly and leaves great lacing. Surprised how dark this is in color, brown with a slightly copper tone.
S: Wafting aroma of a good mix of citrus, pine, and honey. I get pine in the front, honey throughout, and the lemony citrus as a slight compliment. Very impressed with how this one comes across.
T: Pine and citrus up front, and a long lingering honey after taste. I'm getting some heat here too, which is acceptable for over 10%.
M: Carbed well, extremely bitter, and leaves a mildly dry after taste.
O: Finding a beer like this on a whim is a large part of why I love craft beer. I had never heard of Greenbush before snagging this one, and I've got to say I'm very impressed with their first beer I've tried. Very reminiscent of another Michigan beer also brewed with honey, however I think I prefer this one.

4.59/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A hop bomb from the northeast. I live in Hawaii so I get a lot of the California doubles like Pliny, Knee Deep, etc., and this ranks right up their with them in my opinion.

4.6/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorites from a great brewery right here in the Mitten. This one is all that you expect from a honey DIPA. Smooth, sweet, warm, and floral. The ABV is hidden well, too well. I'd love to have a few of these in a sitting, but one and I'm done. Absolutely a delicious must have.

4.87/5  rDev +28.8%

Appearance is a deep amber, copper with minimal head.

Smell. Honey, hops.

Pours nicely in a tulip glass with minimal lacing. Lots of sediment.

Smooth honey taste with hint of banana and very slight spice, hops, then alcohol presence on the back.

Great DIPA, right up there on the favorite list. Hopslam is a second to this for me.

These guys are doing something right. I would put this on par with Bell's Hopslam. This is a terrific DIPA with some great honey sweetness to balance out the aggressive Hop Bitterness. Please excuse not formatting this by category. Hands down, would recommend.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last