Brother Benjamin | Greenbush Brewing Company

Added by divineaudio on 11-09-2012

Reviews: 76 | Ratings: 587
2.53/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from their 12oz bottle...

Appearance - Pours 3 fingers of tight khaki foam, body is a deep opaque brown amber, by far the darkes and murkiest dipa I've ever seen, leaves big thick lacing. Really looks like a barleywine.

Smell - Floral hops, pineapple, candied orange, tropical notes, whiff of carmels, and perhaps some butterscotch.

Taste - Whoah, rich ripe plums, rum cake, sweet ruby grapefruit, warm butterscotch with an accent on the scotch, touches of brown sugar and molasses, finishes pretty hot from the alcohol, slightly sweet grapefruit zests, and a slight spice heat, like white pepper.

Mouthfeel - Higher side of medium, sweet and somewhat mouthcoating, carb is on the lower side and very smooth and foaming, which gives the impression of being mouthcoating - and really lets the heat from the alcohol settle in vs. any kind of scrub.

Overall - The only sign of this being a dipa is in the nose - otherwise the appearance, taste and mouthfeel are much more like a barleywine/scotch ale/wee heavy. The label says "prepare to be mystified" - and I truly am, why this is classified as a dipa is certainly a mystery to me. And as this warms... well, just throw back a shot of scotch - less filling, same taste. I can't recommend this.

4.02/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L- dark golden color
S- can smell the alcohol; hints of honey/caramel
T- very bitter at first, but dies away quickly and leaves slightly sweet aftertaste
F- medium body & carbonation; smooth and a little creamy

I'm a big fan of this beer. I get a 4 pack every 2-3 months.

4.4/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a Spiegelau glass. I added this beer into a mix 6 pack at the Garden Center / Grocery Store in Sawyer, having somewhat high expectations as it was $3.99/bottle.

A: Pours a medium brown color with over a finger of off white head that reduces fairly slowly and leaves great lacing. Surprised how dark this is in color, brown with a slightly copper tone.
S: Wafting aroma of a good mix of citrus, pine, and honey. I get pine in the front, honey throughout, and the lemony citrus as a slight compliment. Very impressed with how this one comes across.
T: Pine and citrus up front, and a long lingering honey after taste. I'm getting some heat here too, which is acceptable for over 10%.
M: Carbed well, extremely bitter, and leaves a mildly dry after taste.
O: Finding a beer like this on a whim is a large part of why I love craft beer. I had never heard of Greenbush before snagging this one, and I've got to say I'm very impressed with their first beer I've tried. Very reminiscent of another Michigan beer also brewed with honey, however I think I prefer this one.

At first sight this beer is a deep amber with a small head( thats what she said ) with tiny bubbles, looks almost like honey in a glass with a frothiness on top

Smell , You can smell the honey and the sweetness right away then the high IBU smell in between,

Smooth mouth feel , the honey is right on top of your tounge on this one, then dry high ibu feeling in the back of your throat, with the big ass alcohol warming tingle from this gift

Taste like a dipa should , well how i like them anyways , bitter from the high ibu's yet sweet and sorta crisp in flavor. Very drinkable and pleasant . Goes down super easy, no real alcohol flavor or presence for such a big beer.

Over all this is very good in style and all around, The sweetness in this is amazing , pure honey flavor with a touch of citrus, Highly recommend this beer for those who like the higher IBU beers and Those looking to find something with a little twist on a old classic style.

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

Description: Has a dark, deep tan look, roughly the color of apple cider with a small amount of white head and lacing. I don't think this has any bourbon aging, but bourbon/booze was the first smell I picked up. Also sweet hints of honey, grape and some sort of smoky/wood/earthy aroma. Taste was bitter, certainly more than would be expected from the smell but that gave way to sweetness...which then tasted bitter...and then sweet again on the finish. The aftertaste was a bit too sweet for me, almost cloying. Not an IPA for hop lovers. Alcohol was very apparent. The mouthfeel also defied typical IPA expectations and was thick, velvety and coated the mouth.

Suggested food pairing: Chicken pasta salad with a creamy or mayo based sauce

If you like this beer then you should also try: Curmudgeon. Definitely not an IPA, but that's what this beer reminded me of.

Overall: 4.25 (This is a good beer and I would likely drink it again) That overall rating should be qualified with the comment that this is not a typical IPA. If it wasn't written on the bottle, I'd probably guess that this is an Old Ale or Barleywine. Still though, not a bad beer. Boozy, malty and ultimately on the sweet side, it probably functions better as a slow sipper.

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

Bottle poured into dogfish spiegelau glass. Bottle was extra included in trade from WCW - awesome!

A - a deep rich red amber honey. Almost maple syrup color with no transparency.

S - smells like a slightly more floral version of 120 minute.

T - again very reminiscent of 120 minute. Just half the ABV.

M - fairly full bodied.

O - glad I got to try this!

3.02/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a cloudy amber brown with a small off white head that fades to a limited glass lace. Smells of honey, clover, and alcohol but it's pretty faint. Small malt notes get overwhelmed by the bitters which starts early and finishes strong. The honey adds some character but I've had better honey IPA's. I had high hopes but it just doesn't live up to its potential. This is a drinkable beer but not one I'll get again.

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Poured a one finger off white mixed tiny to big bubble frothy head with a ruby reddish cloudy body. Nice looking but does not look like a traditional double IPA. Looks well carbonated with plenty of bubbles streaming up off the bottom. Smoke came out of the bottle when opened. Looks to have a yeast cake on the bottom of the bottle so be careful when pouring this out.

S - Smell pretty well balanced with a sweet malt caramel backbone and some piney earthy hops coming in after. Not picking up much more then that on the smell. Wish the smell was more pungent with hops.

T - The taste on this one is mostly malt caramel/breadiness sweetness with hops earthy/piney following like on the nose. Not sure how old the bottle is on this one with no date. Booze comes in last on the palate and does a decent job at moving the flavors along so your ready for another sip. There is also a burnt flavor in it. Not a traditional tasting Double IPA and can not see how this is a 114 IBUs.

M - Simpley lovely on the mouth with a nice creamy frothy chewy full body. My tongue does feel the alcohol on this one.

O - Nice tasting beer and is pleasant but I can not see how this one is classified a double IPA. It reminds me more of an barely wine then anything. Who knows, I might have an old bottle but I'm not getting the hops I thought I would; leaving me to believe the bottle is past its prime. Wish they dated their bottles. Had to dock some point here. Better luck next time, cheers!

4.59/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A hop bomb from the northeast. I live in Hawaii so I get a lot of the California doubles like Pliny, Knee Deep, etc., and this ranks right up their with them in my opinion.

4.39/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours that thick, dark, orangey ruddy color, that isn't all that great to look at, but often is very good. I like ales filtered or not, so, no big deal here, but really not a looker either. Anyway, smells floral, complex, somewhat boozy and sweet with little malt forwardness (a good thing). Taste is great. Mouthfeel explodes, and at the right temperature, the bitterness just sings. Great echo of the hops...really carries along. I think temperature of this one is more than key: mid-fifities and this DIPA flies. I really liked this fresh bottle. I'd buy a 4/6.

These guys are doing something right. I would put this on par with Bell's Hopslam. This is a terrific DIPA with some great honey sweetness to balance out the aggressive Hop Bitterness. Please excuse not formatting this by category. Hands down, would recommend.

3.58/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: ruddy brown body with an off-white two finger head that leaves tons of sticky lacing. The body color is not all that pleasing but, the lacing is very good.

Aroma: floral, pine sap, earthy caramel and grains; while I am drinking the pine note seems to change to a grapefruit rind note.

Flavors: the sweet dark amber honey is noticeable and it seems to control the hoppy style; notes of pink grapefruit, floral-herbal, earthy caramel, sour bread, multigrain bread, white peppercorn,

Mouthfeel: honey up front and going down the middle with citrus notes swirling around the edges with a dusty white peppercorn finish along with some warmth from the alcohol, a linger citrus peel on the palate, dry, moderate carbonation,
Nice bitterness with a zesty feel and the earthy malts almost mute the hops … almost.

To the Point: I was told since I like Hopslam that I would like this. Well, this is okay. The way I feel right now about this beer I might give it a B. The honey in Hopslam seemed to become part of the hops; example sweet citrus, sweet floral. Maybe Greenbush used a different grade of honey that is earthier and has a touch a caramel. And thinking about that, which could be why the malts standout the way they do.

To me Bell’s Hopslam and Witch’s Hat Big Doedish are top shelf type beers; this is just the next shelf down; give it a try and see what you think. Yes, I would buy this again.

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance is amber-orange, translucent, with a small amount of head. Smells citrusy and piney, malty and sweet, and some alcohol. I little more bitter than I expected upon tasting and it has a malt backbone that supports the heavy-handed hoppiness. Finishes sweet and dry and alcohol is evident. The mouthfeel brings an interesting aspect as its oily and slick. Well-carbonated. This one is a tough one to review because there is really only one other imperial ipa made with honey from Michigan. It's good and I'm glad I tried it, but I would rather have a Hopslam.

So, I was at my local bottle shop and they had this in their pick six section. Oven been wanting to try it for a while now. Here it goes:

Appearance: reddish copper. Hazy with a off white head. Very heavy lacing on the glass. Really nice

Smell:citrus. Grapefruit, orange, and maybe some pine in there.

Taste: the best way I can describe it is like this: starts with the citrus hops, then a mellow honey taste. All of a sudden, the bitterness come crashing through. Wow! It's very crazy. I like it

Mouthfeel: almost stout like. Thick. But at the same time if can drink this on the deck in the summer. It's very pleasing to the senses

Overall: I like it a lot! It's not a beer I could drink a few of in one night, but a few bottles here and there. Very tasty!

3.96/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Radiant amber/maple syrup/orange body, little to medium smooth off-white head, hazy and a bit transparent (not really)

S: Definitely has a nice, elegant, honey presence….pineapple, citrus, orange, some resin & caramel malt….grapefruit/tropical fruit

T: Nicely balanced: fruit (tropical/grapefruit), citrusy hops, honey, orange, lime, caramel malt, pineapple, and mango… pine bitterness…I found this to be fairly smooth considering the ABV

M: Medium-to-full-bodied

O: Got this guy from my good friend Kenny Leeper…a good friend indeed…and will have to concur with his opinion that this guy right here puts up a good fight against Hopslam: extravagant; mouthwatering; juicy…just a tasty beverage I would gladly have again - Thank you Sir

4.06/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance is beautiful, deep almost red amber color, almost opaque and I like that. This beer has character. Smell is fantastic!I smell apple, alcohol, and herbal-pine-citrus hops. In your face hop flower goodness. Taste is what Id expect after smelling it. This is a strong beer, the alcohol is not well hidden, but for the way this one turned out, Im digging that, its a big beer. Almost like a barley wine. Mouthfeel is nice, almost chewy, definitely not light. Its a bit on the expensive side at 15 a 4 pack, but compared to the 10 dollar 4 pack also purchased at the same time, which shall remain nameless, this one kicked its ass and was well worth it!

4.09/5  rDev +8.2%

Good beer on its own... But in comparison with similar beers... Just doesn't crack the top offerings.

Starts sweet... But the bitterness is not playing well with the beer.

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Rich burnt orange color with a perfect, full white head. Light aroma of pineapple, honey, citrus. Huge flavor, more on the sweet side of honey and caramel. Sweetness is balanced by finishing hop bitterness and tangy citrus. Very rich with miniscule signs of alcohol despite the abv. Drinks similar to barleywines I've had. Something about the flavor combo doesn't sit as well as it should in the finish. Other than that, I like it.

3.14/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Pleasant brew with a high ABV. If it didn't say honey was in there, you might not notice in the midst of all the hops. It has a sweetness and almost woody/smoky? caramel flavor.

3.64/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Cloudy (almost opaque) amber with two fingers of tan foamy head that leaves moderate lacing. Not a bad looking beer, but I wish it had left better lacing.
S - Fermented honey, hops, banana(?). Sweeter smelling than most IIPAs.
T - Similar to the smell. Sweet malts, wet hop bitter, faint grapefruit. Very balanced flavor, less hoppy flavor than I expect from an IIPA.
M - Medium-high body, low carbonation, wet. Very little heat. I was surprised to learn that this was 10.1% ABV. Very drinkable.
O - Interesting IIPA, sweeter and less dry than most, perhaps too heavy on malt. I would recommend this to people that like some hops but not the extreme hops that seem to be in favor right now.

3.98/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not a huge fan of outrageously hopped IPA's. Had to try this one because of all I had heard. Not as good as Hopslam, like many have tried to say. Still, I understand why the Hop heads like it.

4.4/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I first learned of this beer when searching online for beers similar to Hopslam. Well, Brother Benjamin came up. I was in The Quad Cities (Iowa/Illinois) and I found a bottle but it was quite old so I passed on it. Two weeks later at Bell's "All Stouts Day" I met some guys that talked up Brother Benjamin so being from the western suburbs of Chicago I would be passing through Sawyer on my way home from Kalamazoo. They were sold out of bottles but had it on tap so I purchased a growler to go. I found it to be hoppy and malty all wrapped up into one delicious glass of goodness. The 10.10% ABV is pretty well hidden, the mouth feel is grainy with some sweetness. Doesn't have a whole lot of lacing but who likes to lick out beer glasses anyway! The finish is warming but i am used to beers in the 13%-17% ABV range so it was fine for me. The published 114 ibu's is well masked. As far as a comparison to Hopslam...now you need to know I drank about 22 six packs of Hopslam this years and I am going to tell you this is a close rendition but if I had a fresh sixer of Hopslam and a fresh 4 pack of B.B. and only twenty bucks in my pocket, I'd buy the Hopslam. I am just glad I always keep a hundo tucked away for such purchases so I don't have to make these choices. I am sure i will drink this again and again.

4.39/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Outstanding beer . Beautiful amber color. Floral and a touch bitter. I found myself wanting another. It packs a punch but not anything irritating. Just really mellow. It almost has a creamy taste and is definitely hop forward. I plan to take this to our home "Up North" so I can sit on the deck and look at the lake and just feel great. Not an everyday six pack beer but who drinks those anyway??

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance - Dark golden and very cloudy. Light carbonation but some decent lacing as it was drunk.

Smell - First bottle had a wonderful aroma - lots of honey and tangy hops. The second bottle definitely had a smell of alcohol in addition to the honey and hops.

Taste - A great balance of sweetness and hoppiness. Nice example of an IIPA. The taste lasts through the end of the beer - no diminishing as the mouth is coated.

Mouthfeel - Thick, smooth, even.

Overall - A great IIPA. Due to the high alcohol content, the desired balance of alcohol to hops and honey might be hard to achieve consistently.

4.87/5  rDev +28.8%

Appearance is a deep amber, copper with minimal head.

Smell. Honey, hops.

Pours nicely in a tulip glass with minimal lacing. Lots of sediment.

Smooth honey taste with hint of banana and very slight spice, hops, then alcohol presence on the back.

Great DIPA, right up there on the favorite list. Hopslam is a second to this for me.

Brother Benjamin from Greenbush Brewing Company