Brother Benjamin | Greenbush Brewing Company

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

4.36/5  rDev +15.3%

4.16/5  rDev +10.1%

3.02/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a cloudy amber brown with a small off white head that fades to a limited glass lace. Smells of honey, clover, and alcohol but it's pretty faint. Small malt notes get overwhelmed by the bitters which starts early and finishes strong. The honey adds some character but I've had better honey IPA's. I had high hopes but it just doesn't live up to its potential. This is a drinkable beer but not one I'll get again.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

4.4/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a Spiegelau glass. I added this beer into a mix 6 pack at the Garden Center / Grocery Store in Sawyer, having somewhat high expectations as it was $3.99/bottle.

A: Pours a medium brown color with over a finger of off white head that reduces fairly slowly and leaves great lacing. Surprised how dark this is in color, brown with a slightly copper tone.
S: Wafting aroma of a good mix of citrus, pine, and honey. I get pine in the front, honey throughout, and the lemony citrus as a slight compliment. Very impressed with how this one comes across.
T: Pine and citrus up front, and a long lingering honey after taste. I'm getting some heat here too, which is acceptable for over 10%.
M: Carbed well, extremely bitter, and leaves a mildly dry after taste.
O: Finding a beer like this on a whim is a large part of why I love craft beer. I had never heard of Greenbush before snagging this one, and I've got to say I'm very impressed with their first beer I've tried. Very reminiscent of another Michigan beer also brewed with honey, however I think I prefer this one.

3.71/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into an Idle Hands tulip.

A - Pours a fairly hazy, deep amber color with a short cap of khacki foam that falls to an uneven, foamy collar rather quickly. Sparse traces of lacing are left on the glass.

S - Hmm, interesting aroma...extremely fruity - I am thinking strawberries more than anything with a touch of kiwi mixed in - not your normal DIPA aroma profile. Not really getting any of the usual pine/citrus/tropical fruitiness (actually as it warms, the aroma turns more tropical in nature) I would expect. Earthy malt profile underneath. Not picking up any distinct honey aroma despite it listed on the label as an ingredient. I like this aroma, but I am not associating this with a DIPA at all.

T - Not at all like the aroma...more of a typical DIPA in character. Caramelly malt profile with some earthy aspects carried from the aroma, maybe even a faint trace of roast. Dirty, earthy hop bitterness too that turns a bit citrusy, but more grassy on each exhale after a sip. Some tropical fruitiness, rather estery fermentation overall. Bitterness turns from earthy to slightly medicinal through each sip, with a lingering effect after the swallow. Really faint traces of honey, which I would likely have missed if I wasn't specifically looking for it.

M - Mild traces of boozy warmth in a medium/full body with a low carbonation. Earthy, grassy, medicinal, a bit tropical. A bit off of center for the style.

O - Outstanding - no. Good...yes. A bit different. I think this would stand out in a crowd of DIPA's although not always for positive reasons. A fairly unique combination of aromas and flavors that catch me off guard, but aren't unpleasant either. I don't think I would go on any kind of quest to find this again, but it is an interesting beer worth sampling, if for no other reason than to try something a bit different.

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%