Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Brother Benjamin | Greenbush Brewing Company

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

4.36/5  rDev +10.4%

4.16/5  rDev +5.3%

3.02/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours a cloudy amber brown with a small off white head that fades to a limited glass lace. Smells of honey, clover, and alcohol but it's pretty faint. Small malt notes get overwhelmed by the bitters which starts early and finishes strong. The honey adds some character but I've had better honey IPA's. I had high hopes but it just doesn't live up to its potential. This is a drinkable beer but not one I'll get again.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a Spiegelau glass. I added this beer into a mix 6 pack at the Garden Center / Grocery Store in Sawyer, having somewhat high expectations as it was $3.99/bottle.

A: Pours a medium brown color with over a finger of off white head that reduces fairly slowly and leaves great lacing. Surprised how dark this is in color, brown with a slightly copper tone.
S: Wafting aroma of a good mix of citrus, pine, and honey. I get pine in the front, honey throughout, and the lemony citrus as a slight compliment. Very impressed with how this one comes across.
T: Pine and citrus up front, and a long lingering honey after taste. I'm getting some heat here too, which is acceptable for over 10%.
M: Carbed well, extremely bitter, and leaves a mildly dry after taste.
O: Finding a beer like this on a whim is a large part of why I love craft beer. I had never heard of Greenbush before snagging this one, and I've got to say I'm very impressed with their first beer I've tried. Very reminiscent of another Michigan beer also brewed with honey, however I think I prefer this one.

Brother Benjamin from Greenbush Brewing Company