Brother Benjamin | Greenbush Brewing Company

greenbushbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by divineaudio on 11-09-2012

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I first learned of this beer when searching online for beers similar to Hopslam. Well, Brother Benjamin came up. I was in The Quad Cities (Iowa/Illinois) and I found a bottle but it was quite old so I passed on it. Two weeks later at Bell's "All Stouts Day" I met some guys that talked up Brother Benjamin so being from the western suburbs of Chicago I would be passing through Sawyer on my way home from Kalamazoo. They were sold out of bottles but had it on tap so I purchased a growler to go. I found it to be hoppy and malty all wrapped up into one delicious glass of goodness. The 10.10% ABV is pretty well hidden, the mouth feel is grainy with some sweetness. Doesn't have a whole lot of lacing but who likes to lick out beer glasses anyway! The finish is warming but i am used to beers in the 13%-17% ABV range so it was fine for me. The published 114 ibu's is well masked. As far as a comparison to Hopslam...now you need to know I drank about 22 six packs of Hopslam this years and I am going to tell you this is a close rendition but if I had a fresh sixer of Hopslam and a fresh 4 pack of B.B. and only twenty bucks in my pocket, I'd buy the Hopslam. I am just glad I always keep a hundo tucked away for such purchases so I don't have to make these choices. I am sure i will drink this again and again.

3.76/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.22/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

This looks, smells, and tastes like a Barleywine. Mouthfeel is a bit watery. Hops are hard to detect, but are definitely present. Biggest thing about this brew is it's alcohol heat; if I didn't know any better, I'd think this sucker was 14%.

I'd say Greenbush should stick this in bourbon barrels and call it a BBA Barleywine. Would probably work out better.

4.34/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Awesome hoppy dipa.

4.24/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.87/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev -3.3%

Mahogany brown in color with an inch of tightly woven creamy beige on top. Heavy lacing. The aroma is deeply pine and light malt in nature. The flavor is heavy with piney hops and light malt. The mouth is sticky, resinous, and bone dry.

3.69/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.77/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.37/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.53/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

3.44/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle dated 12-14-15

Pours light brown as opposed to amber. Thick off-white foam topping and a lot of sediment floating around the glass. The nose is very sweet and almost like a mead. Taste starts with sweet honey and has a bad, abrasive bitterness to the finish. Nice and smooth mouthfeel that helped make this palatable.

3.14/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.03/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.03/5  rDev +2%

Description: Has a dark, deep tan look, roughly the color of apple cider with a small amount of white head and lacing. I don't think this has any bourbon aging, but bourbon/booze was the first smell I picked up. Also sweet hints of honey, grape and some sort of smoky/wood/earthy aroma. Taste was bitter, certainly more than would be expected from the smell but that gave way to sweetness...which then tasted bitter...and then sweet again on the finish. The aftertaste was a bit too sweet for me, almost cloying. Not an IPA for hop lovers. Alcohol was very apparent. The mouthfeel also defied typical IPA expectations and was thick, velvety and coated the mouth.

Suggested food pairing: Chicken pasta salad with a creamy or mayo based sauce

If you like this beer then you should also try: Curmudgeon. Definitely not an IPA, but that's what this beer reminded me of.

Overall: 4.25 (This is a good beer and I would likely drink it again) That overall rating should be qualified with the comment that this is not a typical IPA. If it wasn't written on the bottle, I'd probably guess that this is an Old Ale or Barleywine. Still though, not a bad beer. Boozy, malty and ultimately on the sweet side, it probably functions better as a slow sipper.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%