Red Wood Wine Barrel Aged Ale | Tree Brewing

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by andrenaline on 12-26-2012

Reviews by andrenaline:
3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Props to my bro for picking up a bottle for me before they ran out and shipping it to me as part of my Christmas beer package.

A - Pours a slightly hazy dark amber colour with a copper hue, finger of head with some retention and no real lacing.

S - Scent is a tad mild offering up a heavy dose of caramel, touch of vineous wine and grape skins, hint of vanilla and a peppery finish.

T - The wine flavours are mild, but definitely detectable offering up the unique bitterness associated with a dry red wine. A solid caramel malt backbone complements the wine flavours alongside some plums, peppercorns and sweet corn. A leafy green hop note is detectable on the finish and the caramel notes linger with a hint of vanilla, oak and toffee.

M - Medium bodied, creamy and a touch of dryness.

O - A tasty wine barrel aged ale that doesn't overwhelm the palette, yet could still potentially benefit from a bit more aging. I believe it could be considered a bit pricey for the flavour profile, however, it is certainly sessionable and easy drinking. Really glad I had the opportunity to try it, though I'm not certain I would ask my brother to rush out and pick up another bottle if they were to brew it again.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%