The Benz | Summer Wine Brewery

4.2

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

On cask at The King's Head in Huddersfield, England.

This beer definitely plays with one's expectations. I asked the barkeep for the darkest beer they had on tap, and I was given "The Benz." I never would have guessed this was a mild. In fact, as I was drinking it, I actually assumed it was a porter. It was only after the fact when talking further to the bartender I learned otherwise.

The beer pours a deep black with shades of red. There is a nice thick head that lingers throughout the entire glass.

The nose is full of plums, malts, and a wonderful hop aroma. Very strongly dry-hopped, the hop smells mix perfectly with the fruit.

The taste is simply fantastic with an ideal balance between hops and malts. A much stronger hop presence than I would have expected, but I would never describe this as bitter. A fruity malt profile dominate the palate.

Overall a wonderfully designed beer that redefines - for me, at least - my notion of a mild. I would highly recommend this ale to anyone; I've already had several!

The Benz from Summer Wine Brewery