Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Redacted IPA | Renegade Brewing Company

Renegade Brewing Company
Colorado, United States
renegadebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Formally known as Ryeteous.

Added by emmasdad on 08-18-2011

2.44/5  rDev -36.1%

16oz can ~$2.75. Not sure why I bought this since it was really overpriced at $11 for a four pack, maybe I was just itching for something new. The very first aroma that hit me when I opened the can was plastic, ugh. Color is bright hazy orange, good head and lacing. The plastic faded from the aroma once I poured it into a glass and became a bit of piney hops and a maltiness. Taste unfortunately has that plastic note, maybe its the rye? Not sure because I've had plenty of rye beers and never caught this plastic note before. Its really too bad because I can taste a good malt/hop combo hiding behind the rubber/plastic. I'm going to revisit this review if any of the other three cans are better but as it stands I won't be buying anymore Renegade beers.

edit: noticed a big flocculated chunk of white yeast (I hope) stuck to side of my glass, ugh. Maybe that's the source of the plastic?

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

2.85/5  rDev -25.4%

2.89/5  rDev -24.3%

16 oz. can, no date on it or anything.

A: Hazy copper/bronze body. Hardly any head, even with a vigorous pour. Not a good sign.

S: Lots of rye malt, not much for hops.

T: I want more hops. Some nice rye flavor though.

M: Where is the carbonation? Horrible. Has the same mouthfeel as Newcastle Brown Ale. Disgusting.

O: Come on, Renegade. This cannot be your vision for this beer. Your Elevation was so good, but this is either a bad batch or just a bad beer.

3.07/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.1/5  rDev -18.8%

Thanks to SalukiAlum for picking this delicious-sounding beer off my wants list & dropping in as a recent extra. 16 oz. can, no evident bottle dating.

Poured into a big snifter, tje beer is a slighly hazed amber. Blast of pine & earthy rye on the pour that dies down in a hurry, & can't be easily teased back, even with violent swirling.

Ryeteous Rye IPA is like a rye IPA with the mute button floored. Taste is gentle, spring-rain earthy rye, nip of bittering hops...and quiet. I don't mean mute like subtle, but like the beer is rather dull. Goes down easily enough.

Very average, whether judged as a rye beer or an IPA. Given the clever packaging, I was expecting an aggressive beer, & it falls far short on that measure. Decent enough.

3.24/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

not overpoweringly hoppy, can definitely taste the rye. Thick feel.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

16 oz can. Pours slightly hazy golden orange with a thin white head that quickly goes to a thin collar that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is some spicy rye with tropical fruit and floral hops.

The flavor is sweet grainy caramel/toffee malt with some spicy rye and light tropical fruits. The finish is grassy, slightly soapy, hops that have good bitterness. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and with a big watery feel that washes things out.

Overall, an OK rye IPA - too watery though.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

3.31/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.34/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

Got this from a buddy who lives in Denver. Interesting looking can from a brewery I haven't heard of despite going to Denver the last three years for GABF. Always good to find something new.

Poured into a pint glass, it is pretty cloudy. Not too bad. It doesn't foam up too much, in fact, I almost thought it may be a little flat, at first. I've had cans that made the trip from CO before do that. The head that settles in is thin, but doesn't disappear. It gives me nice layer of a creamy film over a cloudy, golden beer.

Smells citrusy and sweet.

Woe, that's way more bitter than I was picking up in the nose. It's an interesting mixture of flavoring and bittering hops. The bitter must be the Rye, but it's not as malty-sweet as I normally think of when I have Rye beer. It's like they upped the bitter hops to match the Rye (?) The citrusy-sweet flavoring hops could be a little stronger to balance that out, but I imagine they were going for something a little different, here.

Very full bodied. Not flat at all, like I initially feared. The bitterness and hoppy aroma seem to really fill this beer out.

Overall, a decent take on a Rye IPA. Not amazing, but different.

3.34/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.37/5  rDev -11.8%

Thanks to woodychandler for yet another canned beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Uh-oh, this beer exploded out of the can and created a glass full of foam. After letting the can sit for about 15 minutes it was still foamy on the pour, with a cloudy golden color. Smell is of rye and spice. Taste is hops, rye, pine, good bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall I may have enjoyed this one more if half the can wasn't foam.

3.38/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.4/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.41/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.42/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured this 16 oz. can into a Sierra Nevada tulip pint glass. No date. The body was hazy golden. The white head was steady and a cap remained throughout.

The smell was slightly fruity. There was a light rye breadiness. Peach? Rather weak aroma.

The taste was spicy and citrusy. Bready. Well balanced. Sweet maltiness. Rich, but not too thick or sweet. Nice gentle bitter finish.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied and smooth in the mouth. Adequate carbonation.

3.44/5  rDev -9.9%

Another of Blargimus' CANs in support of The CANQuest (TM) and I may soon finally run out of all of the CANs that he sent to me! It was a massive trade, to be sure.

From the CAN: "offensively delicious"; "If you were looking for a watered down beer that you could mindlessly gulp in front of the television, you chose the wrong beer. What you hold in your hand is a Ryeteous brew demanding your attention to its complex rye-based malt profile complemented by citrusy hops. This is beer for those who do the don'ts and don't do the do's, the Renegades. Best enjoyed in the company of good friends."

I had no problems on the Crack, but I was glad that I read tone77's comments before initiating a heavy-handed Glug. Even with a gentle pour, I was getting a lot of foam! It reminded me of a sitcom in which too much detergent is added into the washing machine and hilarity ensues. I wasn't much laughing, however, because I really wanted to drink a beer and sooner, rather than later. I cued up Carly Simon doing "Anticipation" during the wait time. Let's settle for two fingers of dense, tawny head with too-good retention, hence my waiting. Nose smelled of grapefruit-citrus hops. Color was a hazy yellowish-orange. Mouthfeel was medium and the hops had a nice bite on the tongue. Finish was dry and bitter, but seemed to lack the rye pepperiness that I have come to expect in this variation on the style. I've had better.

3.47/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.47/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.49/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

In this hot and muggy weather, it's a good day to have an IPA. And my glass frosts over when I bring it out because the temperature inside is so much cooler than outside. CRACK!! goes the can, and here we go.

Redacted starts out pouring a golden amber color, with a head of 4 fingers, leaving skirted lace on the sides and rings as well. The dense, bubbly head is a sight.

Aromas of fresh squeezed orange, rye malts, and stone fruits (cherry, peach).

Flavor starts off a touch more bitter than I'd like, with some very piney notes, but they're far from ugly west coast territory. That fades into a chalkiness with some of that stone fruit that was nosed, and then the rye malts swell up and you get a strong punch of rye to the palate. The finish is of old rinds, chalk, and dull pine. It doesn't fair well and after half the can I'm about ready to dump it.

Feel is creamy and snappy, lending a pretty decent mouthfeel.

Overall, everything about Redacted is good except for the flavor. Lots to be desired here. Personally, I prefer their Consillium IPA to this one.

3.49/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Redacted IPA from Renegade Brewing Company