Hop Ninja | Beachwood BBQ & Brewing

Added by LongBeachHopHead on 10-10-2011

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.55/5  rDev +4.8%

Normally IPAs that are 9% ABV are too much for me and wear me out. I was delighted to try this ale and surprised when I saw how strong it was.

It looks beautiful, it smells like a bag of citrus hops, it tastes like pine and citrus and it leaves a delicious and long lingering bitter sweet finish.

If anything it is too easy to drink and it should have caution signs all around it.

Not sure I've ever had a strong IPA that tasted this good. Yes I am looking at you Pliny!

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Growler from subpoenadeuces. Thanks dude! Served in a tulip.

A - White foam settles to a thin cap and spotty lace. Mostly transparent, lightly hazed orange body.

S - Old-school mix of hops here: pine, orange, dank marijuana, some tropical notes, a bit of earthiness. Neutral bready malt backbone and well-concealed alcohol.

T - The taste is super heavy on the citrus, with some dank marijuana, pine, and zesty herbs arriving late. Low malt character, with light sugary sweetness to it. Hefty bitterness in the finish, and well-hidden booze.

M - Smooth, medium body, pleasant carbonation. Sufficiently hefty, but still a lighter DIPA. No obvious alcohol heat and quite easy to drink. I could stand a bit more dryness for my tastes.

D - A really excellent double IPA that would have been world-class 3-4 years ago before the onslaught of new hop varietals. Still, would happily drink this any time I encountered. We crushed the growler, even after drinking quite a high-ABV beers earlier in the evening.

3.59/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Served in a snifter at Blue Palms.

A: clear, murky yellow.

S: Garlicy hops. Sharp citrus.

T: I know these hops, I just can't call the name. Simcoe? Garlicky, citrus, and strong. Nothing else in this astringently hoppy beer.

M: Dry and intimidating.

O: An abrasive, one-dimensional beer that I enjoyed but is not particularly balanced. Taste at your peril.

Hop Ninja from Beachwood BBQ & Brewing