Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Evil Cousin | Heretic Brewing Company

hereticbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by billshmeinke on 09-09-2011

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.97/5  rDev +26.8%

This is a beer that you need to try if you are a PtE fan.

This beer pours with an amber color betraying its true composition. the nose though reminds you of the territory you are in...pine and grapfruit dominate At the first sip, the malt is the first thing to hit...then it is the mouthfeel...then a looong lingering and smooth hop finish that I suspect may involve some extracts (would love to know)...

I was very surprised when I had this for the first time. It is a top beer for me now. Jamil, great job.

4.94/5  rDev +26%

This beer deserves to be in the top 250 (In my opinion).
Appearance is nuclear orange, gorgeous orangy yellow.
Smell is very very faint, not much aroma on this one but a slight hoppy, slight dankness from it.
Taste is a citrus/hop bomb. So well-balanced and just a treat to drink. Can't say anything bad about this taste.
Mouthfeel is just like you started. Normal. It's like it came, it made you weak at the knees, then cleaned up after itself. Can't'get over the lack of aroma, burst of taste and flavor, and lack of significant mouth feel change. Bravo.
Overall: Definately "Dangerously Drinkable". This is instantly one of my favorites. "Would be willing to do a blind taste test with Pliny"

4.91/5  rDev +25.3%

Great balance for a bold IPA

4.84/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz bomber my wife brought back to Ohio from a recent trip home to Sacramento for me to try. Poured into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter from my beer fridge after about a week of stabilization.

A - beautiful light orange with 1.5cm white to off-white head that dissipates relatively quickly with light lacing; just what i would expect from an IIPA.

S - wonderfully sweet hop aromas. floral, pine/grassy, mildly spicy and minty, just an edge of citrus that almost gets lost, but comes through more in the end. There is a bit of alcohol touched by mild malt.

T - pine and alcohol up front, followed by floral citrus and overwhelmingly hoppy, just like the aroma. I wonder if there is a small blast of rye in here because there is a small sharp peppery note throughout this beer.

M - Full, lightly oily, but not overly sugary or oily. The carbonation is maybe a touch high, but perfect to help clean this beer up on the palate and balance the residual sugars with the bitterness and preventing it from feeling too coating.

O - This is an outstanding IIPA. What I am most amazed about is that this beer is so impressive in a market that is already overrun with massive IPAs. Thank you for this beer, I will be getting more next time I am home in CA.

4.81/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The preponderance of beer in CANs is/has been spiraling out of CANtrol! I am leading The CANQuest (tm) & I CAN't keep up! I am ecstatic that they have begun CANning this one & Evil Twin & I was happy to pick up one of each recently at The Fridge.

From the CAN: "Drink with me Cousin, as Hades comes with the dawn. - Acacius"; "Always brewed and packaged only by Heretic Brewing Co. - Fairfield, CA"; "Almost everybody has their favorite cousin. Ours is a resiny citrus and pine joy with an easy drinking malt character. We love hanging out with our cousin at the beach, camping, hiking and every holiday party. Why not welcome our cousin to your next family gathering?"; "Don't follow the crowd. Be a Heretic and drink responsibly."

More broken record action. One of my first Cousins is Colby Chandler of Ballast Point, my late Pops' late-brother's son. It was at a family gathering in early-Spring 2002 that I got to taste Sculpin in beta. Now, the question is: Am I his Evil Cousin, vice versa, or are we both Evil Cousins?

The Crack! was evil in its intensity, so I was gentle in my Glug so as to keep things on an Even Keel (sorry, different beer, different brewery. I wonder what made me think of that ...). It's a Cousin thing, yinz wouldn't understand. Once decanted, an in-glass swirl raised a finger of foamy, fizzy, tawny head with moderate retention. Color was a gorgeous Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity, prompting the Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon to come in from the living room, where they were watching playov hockey on tellly, for a taste. Nose smelled like I was chopping down a pine tree for my living room, or better yet, since it is spring, running the spent trees through a chopper for mulch. Whee! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, big for the style. The taste was initially cool and minty, like a Calm Before the Storm. Suddenly, the the grapefruit citrus & fusel alcohol began to assert themselves & my poor, bruised tongue cringed in abject terror. This was an Evil beer and I felt ready to Abandon Ship. Fortunately, it passed and I found myself back on an Even Keel. Finish was dry, but minty, and I actually felt fresher for having sucked it down than I did before I started. Summer cooler, here it comes!

4.81/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hazy color, amazing hop aroma and bitter flavor. Great IPA that suits my tastebuds perfectly. Wholefoods, Oakland CA, March 2016

4.79/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Piney dank hops, extremely drinkable. A must try fresh!

4.73/5  rDev +20.7%

This a great west coast IPA with great hop aroma and flavor. Light on malt but still very well balanced.

4.72/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Nice golden orange color with eggshell white head. Good lacing. Great flavors come through to make this beer very drinkable. Smooth on the palate while delivering a great hop profile. First beer I've had from Heretic and greatly pleased.

4.65/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.62/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked this up at Whole Foods in Fremont, enjoyed chilled in a 1/2 pint, bomber shared with tenderbranson69.

The color is hazed golden with amber hues and thick off white head with fine bead. The smell is great, lots of tropical fruit with a citrus aroma reminding me of grapefruit and tangelo with slight dank herbal aspect with almost no alcohol inthe nose - pretty full on high alpha american hop smell. The feel is great -it is moderately carbonated and by the resinous texture you can sense they packed a lot of hops and dry hopped it well with moderate bitterness and mostly dry finish.

The flavor is great -way exceeded my expecations I sampled this side by side with 3 other Imperial IPA's sipping each and this was just a better tasting beer- lots of citrus and tangy tropical fruit juiciness but very mild astringency and low acidity with almost no alcohol in the taste, just pure hoppy freshness. This is a very well made beer, one of the most drinkable of the style I have had recently with subtle bitterness making it great for multiple tastes -I wish I had purchased more.

Evil Cousin from Heretic Brewing Company