Shallow Grave | Heretic Brewing Company

Shallow GraveShallow Grave

Heretic Brewing Company
hereticbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Shallow Grave Porter is dark as night, perfect for a cool evening out in the woods. This is a big, dark ale with a complex and rich chocolate and caramel malt character followed by a touch of warmth and light malt sweetness, leaving you ready for more after each shovelful. You will love this so much you won’t have time to dig a six-footer, so make it a Shallow Grave.

We’re sure you’ll dig it.

Added by Zorro on 12-16-2011

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

4.09/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This porter almost had it all with great taste, balance and hints of chocolate, caramel, coffee. The color was deep and alluring with a slight foam on top. My only issue with this porter was it was just a shade on the thin side for body. This was not enough to ruin the beer for me as I would drink it again, but just a bit unexpected.

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

4.78/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I had this on tap at the Fairfield tap room as a part of a sampler in December 2013. I was quite impressed.

A - Black, small head. About what you would expect from a porter.

S - chocolate, moderate roast. well balanced and a little sweetness to it.

T - This is where this beer hooked me. I tasted it and kinda went "that's a really nice beer, but nothing too special." Then the back end of the beer hit me and the depth was shocking. This is a flavor that sticks in your mind but eludes description. There was definitely chocolate, light roasted depth, a mild coffee like note, but then back to chocolate. This just kept going.

M - Silky and full with some sweetness, but not cloying. Definitely a little astringency from the dark malts, but well balanced. Quite impressive.

O - Wish I could have brought some home with me. Its on my list next time I visit the area. I've told the people I know passing through they have to go to the taproom and they have to try this beer.

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

4.14/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On Tap at Brewery

A - Dark, dark brown with a tan/mocha one finger head. Lacing is present but not very thick or heavy.

S - Roasted Malt, dark coffee, caramel, chocolate, with hints of toast and raisins.

T - Coffee was very upfront right off the bat followed by the caramel. Roasted malts rounded out the flavors.

M - Medium body with medium/low carbonation. Creamy finish with just a hint of bitterness.

O - A very good solid porter, while I am not going to give up drinking Black Butte Porters, this will find its way into my fridge on a regular basis.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%