Gramarye | Heretic Brewing Company

hereticbrewing.com

Style: Rye Beer

Added by Zorro on 08-25-2012

3.8/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Tasted at brewery and again from growler poured into pint glass

A - Beautiful copper/orange with a slender beige head

S - Very shy on the nose - some citrus, toasty malt and some other spices which I assume is the rye. The nose did open up slightly after warming up some but still was subdued.

T - Toasty malt and rye right off the bat followed up with some soft bitter hops.

M - Such a refreshing beer! There really is a a lot of flavor packed into this 4.4% brew. Toasty malts and rye, smooth and clean with just a touch of crisp/bitterness from the hops that makes you want another sip, followed by another...etc.

O - This is my first taste of a rye beer and I was impressed. This is a great "lawn mower" beer - easy to drink with plenty of flavor. Very refreshing.

3.42/5  rDev -9.5%

Thanks to rawfish for this bottle, one of the few left from a recent trade. 22 oz. bottle with a bit of D&D feel to it split with my wife. I won't mention the D&D thing to her. She thinks its geeky.

The pop & pour, whoa! Concern. Alarmingly carbonated, the head leaping skyward with verve & vigor. Underneath the big snow is an orange beer that smells about as you'd expect. A bit of spicy rye kick & plenty of pale malts.

Gramarye's carbonation tickles all the way to my elbows. The bink & fizz is distracting, it's hard to get to whatever it is that's underneath. Using my +2 Sword of Foam Banishing, I manage to get some sense of the beer: spicy rye, pale malts. Touches of lemon, grainy hops. Pretty simple. As befits the ABV, though, easy to drink, though the spiciness slows me down.

I pissed off someone I didn't know on Facebook today for repeatedly misusing the word "socialism" - good fuck, go look it up - so my day was already made, but hey, a beer makes the end of every night better, right? Carbonation really does no favors to the beer; still pretty good.

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

Bottle: big 650mL dark brown bottle, funky and funky, 'dark' label. A good package.

Appearance: pours a clear, dark golden copper colour with a decent, fluffy head. It drops to a creamy one-finger. Decent lacing - looks pretty good.

Aroma: toasted malt with some spice and a touch an earthen grain flavour that is unfamiliar - I assume that's the rye. Reasonably complex.

Taste: the toasted malts are there again with some caramel and toffee. The rye backs up again - I think I could get used to the woody, earthen characters it brings to the palate. Nice.

Aftertaste: drops away a bit, but the rye hangs about. Crisp on the finish.

Mouth feel: again pretty much on the money. A moderate body with enough carbonation to carry the flavour but without dominating the smooth feel. The crispness on the finish tops it off.

Overall: I have to admit I am starting to become quite the fan of rye beers. Considering an equivalent case of 24 x 330mL would be over AU$180 however, I think I will take a Brewcult Supa Fly Rye IPA most days, and save the Gramarye for special occasions.

3.25/5  rDev -14%