Pride & Joy Mild Ale | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Pride & Joy Mild AlePride & Joy Mild Ale

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

A smooth, medium-bodied session beer with bright citrus hop aroma and finish. Our interpretation of an American Mild Ale.

Added by purplehops on 08-06-2001

Ratings: 2,198 |  Reviews: 696

1.68/5  rDev -57.4%

pours a huge billowing, foamy head...something is amiss. color seems fine.

Smell is almost not there but what is there is a bit of sweet malt and some slight pickle.
Tastes like seltzer with a lingering aspirin-like bitterness on the finish.
Carb is good. Crisp. Feels fine.
I'm guessing this one had been sitting on the shelf for a long time. Not that I would know it when I bought it, as FFF has no freshness info. Even fresh, their beers just don't do it for me, and never knowing how old the beer is that I'm buying seals the deal. I'm done.

2.04/5  rDev -48.2%

2.15/5  rDev -45.4%

I hate to pan any beer but I feel that in this case I have to. Reading the beer style description this beer by no means is a mild ale. I think this beer would be better off as a IPA instead. Extremely hoppy for a mild ale and not as dark as I thought it should be. A bit thin in body and a little too much floral in the nose. Sorry Three Floyds I think you missed the mark on this one.

2.25/5  rDev -42.9%

2.32/5  rDev -41.1%

12 oz bottle. Tones of pungant hops very little malt character. Pour pale with an orange/brown hue. Very little head and no lace. Massive hop flavor but still no real malt present. Super bitter. Kind of makes me cringe to swallow. Light body. Pretty puckering. Not real easy to drink. By far my least favorite 3F brew. I’m sure glad the rest are pretty great.

2.45/5  rDev -37.8%

Presented in a 12oz bottle with no “best before” date, Pride and Joy has an apricot color, a small head and virtually no lace. The aroma was mild, of biscuity malt and hints of citrus and floral hops. I found I had to almost work to gain any meaningful nose from this beer. The taste was of caramel malts, some toffee and hints of butter. Little hops presence in the finish. The feel was light, slick and oily.
On a whole, I was disappointed with this offering from Three Floyds. The taste was out of balance and the feel was not too pleasing, either. Maybe it was poorly stored or old but I’m not in any hurry to find another for comparison.

2.53/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a medium copper with an almost non-existent head.

Aroma: Fairly mild aroma of sweet malt. Everythign else seems muted.

Taste: Slightly smoky yet dry throughout. Mild malt and hops offer balance.

Mouthfeel: Quite dry and light. Slightly metallic, which is very distracting.

Drinkability: WIll have to try this one again, becuase this is a bit austere to be a "session" beer as they claim it to be.

2.56/5  rDev -35%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.6/5  rDev -34%

Pours a cloudy orange color with very little head and carbonation. All I can smell is the hops. Man is it strong. Mouthfeel is smooth and moderate carbonation. Taste is very bitter with mild malt flavor. Too bitter for me. I didn't think a English Dark Mild would ever be this bitter. Drinkability would be higher, but the bitterness is too much. I don't know if I'll ever have this again.

2.71/5  rDev -31.2%

Had this on tap at Lizardville in Bedford Hts, OH. I will preface this with the fact that they had the beer listed as an Amber Ale, not a Pale Ale (or Mild Ale, whatever that is).

A - The look fits the bill. Slightly orange-gold, tall white head with light lacing.

S - Nothing to write home about, the aroma of this beer was very ordinary. No powerful notes, but some light caramel maltiness.

T - Follows the nose. The flavor was very mild with no outstanding notes. It doesn't have much in the way of richness or malt that was on the nose. I drank it pretty quickly to get to the next beer - an unconscious habit I developed back in the Natty swilling days for beer that didn't taste good. When I realized what was happening, I knew this beer was going to get negative marks.

M - Relatively thin and uninspiring.

Not much to take "Pride" or "Joy" in about this beer. At least not to me. If you're looking for something easy drinking that won't take your attention away from conversation, this is it. If you're looking for something that will match the hype from the brewery and the wacky label, then it's not.

2.72/5  rDev -31%

2.75/5  rDev -30.2%

Sorry for the low score, but this is not a mild. This is definately a Pale ale or an IPA or something in that family. It is an excellent well made beer but not a mild. The pour is bright copper color with a full white head and lace on the glass, nice. Ahint of malt introduces the flavor before the hop assault starts. The beer is crisp and very dry and dries out even more in the finish. A nice pale ale

Pride & Joy Mild Ale from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.