Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Robert The Bruce | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Robert The BruceRobert The Bruce
3.88/5
Very Good
Robert The BruceRobert The Bruce

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: Scottish Ale

A full-bodied Scottish-style Ale with a well-rounded malty profile and roasted biscuit-like notes.

Added by purplehops on 08-06-2001

Ratings: 3,164 |  Reviews: 995

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.96/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured one finger head. lacey and sticks to the glass, but not too much retention. Slightly dark red. Looks like a tasty, dark Red Ale.

Smelled good. not much here. and the good smell quickly gives way to a standard not-so-great beer smell. Couldn't wait to dive in.

Tastes slightly malty sweet, oats, grain, some dried figs, dates, maybe caramel? but not overwhelmingly sweet. I'm tasting sweet oatmeal, with some long cooked hops. Very good balance. A tiny bit of hops at the end (and when I burp). Just the way I like it. A little smokiness comes through. Overall tastes kind of like the leftover beer sitting atop of a belgain dubbel yeast cake after siphoning. Very grain/oaty.

Mouthfeel is nothing special. But because you can get complex, rich taste from this beer without it being very heavy, I'd say this is the perfect session beer. I wanna drink 6 of these things!
I feel I could get drunk but still continue to appreciate the amazing taste.

I've never had a Scottish Ale before but my impression is a richer, more malty Irish Red Ale, which is right up my alley. A happy medium.

Nearly a must try! I don't understand the low ratings given. Not the epitome of craft beer, but an excellent session brew.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

Robert The Bruce from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.88 out of 5 with 3,164 ratings