Robert The Bruce | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Robert The BruceRobert The Bruce

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: Scottish Ale

A full-bodied Scottish-style Ale with a well-rounded malty profile and roasted biscuit-like notes.

Added by purplehops on 08-06-2001

Ratings: 3,143 |  Reviews: 991
3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

First off, fantastic artwork on the label (like most of Three Floyds' products). Pours a deep brown brew with ruby highlights. A tawny head develops, leaving some good lacing.

The nose is nice...suggestions of coffee, chocolate malts and a touch of Scottish butter fudge. The taste of chocolate malt and brown sugar is ever present without being overly sweet; perhaps a suggestion of figs and toasted walnuts as well. Bigger on coffee flavor than I expected from a Scottish Ale...not necessarily a bad thing. The mouthfeel is sticky and medium-bodied with some moderate carbonation.

Kind of a cross between a scottish and brown ale. A very nice and drinkable dark ale by 3 Floyds.

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a pint on 6/20/11.

A: Pours a dark brown, deep autumn red/orange color. Half finger head that dissipates into a thin frothy layer.

S: sweet caramel, roasted malts, dark fruits (raisins, possibly prune or plum)

T: roasty, sugary malt. Raisin, prune like finish.

M: medium body, moderate carbonation. Has a nice creamy texture.

O: Not necessarily a true to form Scotch ale but I really enjoyed this one. I will definitely buy again.

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks Mike!
Served in a 12 oz. bottle

A: chestnut brown in color, medium carbonation with a very thin head.

S: molasses mixes into sugar cookie, followed by caramel, with strong malt backbone.

T: walnuts, nice chewy sweetness, roasted malt comes forward. There is also hints of coffee bitterness at the finish. Very round and full flavored.

M: very clean and easy to drink, there is a really nice body to this beer.
O: a really enjoyable session beer. I wish I had more access to it.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Amber edges, ruby red center. One finger cream head, fades to nothing. No cap, no lace.

S: Sugary dark fruit, mostly raisins. Grainy malt, slight alcohol note.

T: Follows the nose.. Dark fruits are prevalent but not at all too sweet. Dark, grainy, whole grain base. Raisins are big here. I expected medicinal sugar coated'ness, but everything is in check.

M: Creamy, thick, chewy, etc. Carbonation is pretty high for the style but I'm digging it. This beer is pretty big on grains, and thankfully not so much on sugar coated raisins.

O: A well executed Scottish ale.

3.81/5  rDev -1.6%

Taken from notes on 3.20.11

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a dark auburn brown color with a very thin, almost non-existent heat that quickly fades to the edges.

S - Raisins, grape, and cranberries.

T - Boozy, old fruit, and brown sugar.

D - Very flat, no carbonation. slightly sweet and mouth coating.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

On tap at Three Floyds. This is a medium translucent caramel brown color. Smells include brown sugar and molasses. Taste is sweet brown sugar and aged oak or maple. Medium bodied and very drinkable. This is not overly exciting, but solid and refreshing.

3.39/5  rDev -12.4%

A- Pours a nice dark dark dark amberish brown. Little head that disappears quickly. Little to no lacing.

S- smells of dark brown sugar, malts, and doughy

T- Nutty. Biscuity. Sweet and smooth. Little bit alcohol. The finish is slight cardboard though. Weird. Not diggin this too much.

M- Pretty average. Slight carbonation. Creamy.

O- Eh, it was ok. I've had much better than this. Probably the only beer from 3F that was ok, I guess. Wont seek this one out again.

3.54/5  rDev -8.5%

A - Minimal and quick lived head. Body is a nice medium to dark brown allowing light through revealing hints of reddish purple.

S - Brown sugar, dates, a hint of clove, all amidst long roasted malts.

T - Brown sugar again, moderately bitter alcohol and a strong roasted flavor.

M - Quite watery in the start and then rather coarse in the end and finish.

~ This is a beer I enjoyed while it was in my household. However, I will not be seeking this beer again, and will not recommend it to a friend.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Fresh bottle. I picked up a six pack today at FFF brewpub.

A: Deep brown color, held up to the light, turns to transparent mahogany. Very pretty beer.

S: A nice malty smell. Pretty complex. Somewhat nutty, very nice.

T: I really enjoy this beer. I get a perfect small amount of hops at first, then backed by the nice malts, and hazelnut flavors. This is very drinkable.

M: This is awesome! It is kind of thin, which makes it very drinkable! I really really like this beer. When it goes towards the back of the palate, it has a nice bitterness to it.

O: I enjoyed this beer, and I would recommend it to anyone that wants to experience this style. I will definitely buy this again if I can find it!

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured a deep red-orange with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, caramel, oatmeal, and chocolate. The flavor was of sweet malt, citrus, caramel, and milk chocolate. It had a medium feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was quite a nice brew. Really nice for the style which is hard for me as I usually don't enjoy this style too much. The flavor was very nice on this one with the sweetness aspect going on here. Kept me coming back for more. The aroma was quite inviting as well. Definitely worth trying for any fan of the style or for anyone curious about the style in general.

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

Major raisiny, plum, breadiness, gristy-yeasty and brown sugar notes in the nose. Up front I get bourbon to vanilla bean presence, more of the toastiness almost like charcoal, rum cake, pineapple-upside down cake, some milk chocolate, leather and a little suggestion of hay, very dark, rich maltiness. This thing drinks like a chocolate milkshake w/out being overpowering on the alcohol/sugary side, but it is chewy for sure.

Very velvety, creamy lactic mouthfeel. The aftertaste lingers big time w/ yeasty stickiness.

This is one of the more stick-to-your-ribs kind of beers I have ever had, would be excellent I think w/ bbq or maybe as a digestif paired w/ chocolate cake.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

(12oz bottle courtesy of Fata2683!!). Pours clear mahogany with massive tan head. Active carbonation and some lacing developing. Aroma has caramel, dried fruit (apricot and dates noticeably) and some florals. Taste is sweet with caramel malts and dried fruit again. Medium bodied with slick texture and very smooth finish. A really easy beer to drink. Nice!

I have had this beer before… but never like this. This is the first beer on our journey of 1001 bottles of beer. As the title says… 1001 bottles of beer on the wall.

I have been to this brewery before. It’s located in Munster, Indiana just south of Chicago. It’s actually located in an industrial park… a very random place for there to be a brewery. Regardless, they pump out some pretty incredible beers and have managed to make a name for themselves with their Alpha King and their Dark Lord Imperial Stout. (This beer is made in VERY small batches, and is often referred to as the best beer in the world.)

Regardless, on to Robert the Bruce. This beer is a Scottish ale… whatever that means. It smells fantastic. I am picking up a hint of chocolate there… makes me think of a nut brown ale… something that isn’t quite as unique as the folks over at Three Floyds want it to be.

After one sip… I want more. The sweetness is apparent, and the beer drinks extremely smooth. Most beers that come from “local” breweries (granted, Three Floyds is anything but local) have a certain carbonation to them… this beer doesn’t. Its smooth, but thick enough so you know it’s not just a typical domestic brew. (Speaking of domestic beers, why aren’t all beers that are made in the United States considered domestic beers?)

This beer is good… most beers that I have had from Three Floyds are. I would drink this early and often if given the chance. It’s not a hard beer to find here in the Midwest… it’s actually one of the most well known beers from Three Floyds. That and the Alpha King.

To sum this beer up… it’s good, not great. Now, may I have another?

3.31/5  rDev -14.5%

The deepest darkest ruby color I’ve seen. Extremely clear with a very decent amount of carbonation given the weight and abv of this beer.

Raisins and apples mixed in a deep caramel malt with a hint of molasses. A swirl gives it a slight rum like note with just a subtle hint of alcohol.

This is an intense dark fruity beer with hops strong enough to keep this from taking on the overly sweet sugar induced mess to just a sweet malty beer. A lot of apple juice flavor with caramel and some raisins mixed in (or maybe plums).

Thicky and nearing syrupy levels in body, but carbonated well enough to lighten the beer.

This beer wants to be a barely wine but isn’t strong enough for it. This beer wants to be some kinda of Belgian style but doesn’t have the yeast. I’m not sure I get the Scotch ale but we’ll go with it. I don’t get why this is the 12 bottled 6 pack from them…many beers they make are better for this, but it is still a nice beer.

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

Had a "meeting" with the boys tonight at a place called Scoreboards....was I surpirsed they had three floyds and more!!!! Anyway had RObert the Bruce as my starter. The color was a dark brown with rich foamy head that laced quite well. The aroma and taste was dominated by malt and caramel. The body on the beer was a little too weak I would have liked to have a bit more heavy body. The mouthfeel was ok. Certainly could do 3-4 of these....no problem.

Growler poured from the brewpub on 5/7, consumed on 5/9

Solid scottish ale, appearance a dark burnt sienna with some auburn around the edges in the translucent areas. Nose was somewhat muted and the malts didn't come through in a big way. Taste was well balanced and enjoyable, a solid scottish ale for sure.

Reviewed from notes:
Thanks goes out to Cuzco for sending this one my way.

appearance: dark brown black with minimal off white head

smell: lots of malts, caramel,

taste: malty, caramel,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body

overall: Not a bad scottish ale but not one that blows me away. Glad I finally got to try it.

cheers,
The CPJ

3.76/5  rDev -2.8%

Draft to plastic pint glass. Appearance is good; deep amber/bourbon in color. Smell is almost nonexistent, with a subtle malty undertone. Taste is good. Malty. Just not what I expected (although it's still good). Mouthfeel is good; low carbonation for easy sips. Overall, a good beer, but a little subtler than I expected.

3.91/5  rDev +1%

A - Beer poured a fairly thick 2 finger creamy white head and left a solid cover and lacing throughout drinking the beer. Dark amber in color.

S - Toasty caramel malts smell.

T - Malty caramel and molasses taste with a bite of hops. Thick creamy mouthfeel.

Overall this was a pretty good beer. Very drinkable with a 6.5% ABV. Also had one of my favorite labels... very neat to look at ha

Pours a nice dark chestnut color with a fairly thin head that fades to a ring and thin swirly cap. Lots of firm malt with a tofee and Horlick's powder aroma. Similar very firm maltiness in the taste with a bit of a sweet almost vanilla finish as well as some earthy and piney hops that play a supporting role to the malt. Long finish and almost chewy mouthfeel make this fairly nive as well. Quite decent.

3.78/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured into a Three Floyds pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - Pours a nice toasty dark amber color with a nice light cream head that is quite dense and about 1 inch thick. Recedes pretty slowly. Quite nice looking malty beer. Quite typical for the style.

S - Slight carmel and nice toasty bread malts. Sweet freshly baked bread. Hop character is pretty mild. Malt takes the front seat with some nice grain notes.

T & M - Starts off with clean grain and some slight sweetness pops up. There is nice bread as well as some slight caramel. The tosaty malts are quite delicious and refreshing. Not as sweet as expected but definitely a Scottish Ale. The hops are a bit more present in the flavor as a back up bittering flavor. Pretty good ale with some clean flavors and some nice toasty malt and good CO2.

O - Good sweet notes and some good bread grain. Overall a very good Scottish Ale. Quite delicious even though this is not my favorite style.

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer poured a very dark mahogany with a thin foam lacing on the surface. The nose very faint. I could make out some nuttiness.

Flavor-wise, this beer is very malty and rich. The brewer calls it `a malt lovers delight'. That about sums it up! I taste some nutmeg, raisins, molasses, and a very subtle smokiness.

This is the second time I've had this beer. I'm not sure it's a great example of a Scottish ale, but it's a very good beer in its own right. It's very flavorful without being overpowering. A very drinkable, very rich beer. If you're a fan of brown ales, this is a real treat.

Addendum - I got another growler of this recently. I don't know, I guess I really like it! I have to regrade the nose and give it higher marks. When I was drinking this growler, I found myself holding the empty glass up to my nose after finishing a serving of this. I freaking loved the aroma coming out of that glass. It had this nice nutty, sweet, rich home-made pie kind of smell. This beer is definitely growing on me.

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

A - A dark brown color that turns a little ruby on the edges. Minimal head, didn't stick around for long.

S - Caramel and malt forward, with a kick of hops on the backend. For a Scottish Ale, I'm not getting a ton of smoke or any peat really.

T - Sweet caramel, some earth tones, little grainy. A bit of dark fruit and some citrus hops on the end. This is pretty nice and easy to drink. A slight touch of booze in there as well.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O - Pretty good beer, not a fan of Scottish Ales in general, but this is easy to drink and non-offensive. Wouldn't mind drinking it again.

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

A: Dark, hazy brown...like iced tea. Slight tan head that is gone quickly...shallow cap remains.

S: Sweet malts, dark fruits, & apple

T: Caramel malt...sweet...fruity....alcohol slightly noticeable...dry finish. This is a great malt forward beer. The colder when drank....the less the alcohol is even evident. This has the caramel malty goodness that I love in a Doppelbock and the dark sticky fruit (plum) I get from a great Dubbel or Quad. Buttery Black Walnut seems to be a predominant flavor that I was finally able to identify after several bottles.

M: Medium....sticky...good carbonation.

O: An excellent beer. One of my first of the style. A good representation of what I'm told it should be. My favorite FFF beer.

3.67/5  rDev -5.2%

A - Ruby, brown. Little head and low carbonation.

S - Herbal hop character and sweet malts. Brown sugar along with a bit of molasses. Some oxidation.

T - Sugary sweetness followed immediately by a bit of bitterness. Molasses flavors, and a distinct prune-like syrupy sweetness. Herbal hoppiness in the finish.

M - Medium bodied.

Overall - Nice to see a Scottish Ale in bottles. Very quaffable even at this ABV. Happy to have tried it, but I'll seek out other FFF's brews before picking up more than this.

Robert The Bruce from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.