Robert The Bruce | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Read the review
Robert The BruceRobert The Bruce

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States

Style: Scottish Ale

A full-bodied Scottish-style Ale with a well-rounded malty profile and roasted biscuit-like notes.

Added by purplehops on 08-06-2001

Reviews: 984 | Ratings: 3,097
3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

This beer pours a light bodied, burnt mahogany in color with red accents in the light and with no head. The aromas are of sweet malt and a moderate nuttiness, probably a hazelnut. It's solid but nothing special. The flavor is solid. I like it for the style but it isn't anything too special. It drinks pretty light in body and leaves a sweet, nutty after taste behind. I'd prefer it a little heavier. It's just ok and drinking it is no problem at all, if you want to.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Not a bad Scottish Ale, but nothing extraordinary. Brown in color, kind of on the drab side, not very exciting. The basic characters are there - nice peat and slightly smoky, malty and a bit nutty, but nothing really jumps out and grabs me. I tend to prefer drier beers but for a Scotch ale I'm really looking for that malty robust sweet flavor and this one isn't giving it to me. Not much in the way of spicy hops either, which wouldn't have hurt. However this was a nice and mellow brew, maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from a bottle in July 2012.

For perspective, my primary basis for comparison for this beer is Founder's Dirty Bastard, which is one of my personal favorites.

A: Nice semi-transparent brownish pour which turns to a nice shade of red through the light. Little to no head or lacing.

S: Nice smell, a bit of booze and lots of malt.

T: Malty, malty, malty, with just a hint of booze on the finish. Not as boozy or complex as the Dirty Bastard, but still a good beer.

M: Thinner than I'm used to, but that's refreshing. An easier drinker due to the slightly thinner mouth feel and lower ABV.

O: An above-average beer, and one I'd happily drink again. With Founders and what some would argue as their "flagship" Dirty Bastard less than 10 miles down the road, though, it's hard to put this above the Founders offering.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

A- golden brown with white head. lacing through the drink.

S- smells like molasses and brown sugar with malty goodness.

T- taste doesn't live up to my expectations. It is a little more scotchy as in butterscotch for me. No hops to speak of

M- Medium but with a slick oil feel as well.

O- it's alright, worth a try of course. I won't revisit but doesn't mean you shouldn't

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Poured from the bottle to a dark brown with a hint of red, a thin off-white head that lingered thru mid-glass and okay lacing. Nose was malty chcolate, a hint of roasted nuts and alcohol. The mouth was a bit on the thin side, and the flavor picked up the malty flavors, but the alcohol was most noticeable. Finish was short, a little bitter (the hops finally made themselves known) and a tad watery.

Not bad, but FFF has done much better.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Pours a deep reddish mahogany color. A small white head forms and leaves little lace.
S: Dark fruits and lots of roasted malt. Just a hint of peat aroma.
T: Very fruity. Lots of cherries and plumbs. Sweet candy like malt. Hardly any peat flavor though, which is what I love about Scottish Ales.
M/D: A full body that is rich and creamy. Well carbonated. A pretty smooth beer to drink for the high ABV. Something I could session.

This is a very good beer. Though it does not hit the spot as far as Scottish Ales go. That being one of my favorite styles, I am a bit more harsh on my review. If it had more peat flavor this might be one of my favorites of the style.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

The beer comes in a dark copper color.

The aroma has high grain wheat toasted bread with some caramel sweetness.

The flavor follows with that grain toasted bread flavor that offers some nuttiness and toasted seeds. A medium caramel sweetness. A medium to medium minus mouthfeel.

A middle of the road brew that is well made, but I don't feel a desire to return to it.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Thanks to pwoods for the opportunity to try this beer

A- A beautifully clear beer with hazelnut like colors and almost a non existent head, no lacing whatsoever. Carbonation bubbles do continuously pierce the surface of this beer.

S- Some caramel or sweet aroma is provided by the malts along with a spiciness or smokiness in the back drop.

T- Sweets with a burnt sugar flavor behind it, bready and buckwheat honey like flavors seem to be most noticeable.

M - Seems thin for the style but still very smooth which is nice, but not the malt bomb I hope for with this style; however this does add to the drinkability of the beer.

D - Like I said before it seems light for the style but there's enough flavor there to make this an enjoyable beer that I could easily put more than a few away in a night.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

My first taste of Three Floyd's outside DLD....

Pours an opaque brown with some red highlights showing when through light. Head is small and quick to leave. The taste was quite interesting being sweet, malty, and somewhat creamy - a sensation I wasn't expecting. I also detected some hints of what feels like cherry. Malt flavors hang around for a bit longer than I'd like.

Very interesting beer...still have two left so I'll be looking forward to them.

12oz bottle -> goblet
no date

Pours a cleardark rusted amber with golden orange highlights. A small tinged tan head quickly evaporates to a small puddle of soap suds. Dotted minimal lacing. Carbonation appears slow and steady.

Nose: Sweet candy smell, touches of caramel, some of those can't miss FFF hops, and some earthiness.

Taste: Malty and heavy, not nearly as sweet as the nose indicated but sweet nonetheless. A lingering malty drying finish, with a little balancing bitterness.

Mouth is medium to thin and in need of a little more carbonation. Dry mouth ensues.

Drinkability is average due to the abundant sweetness and lack of actual malt depth. An average beer from a not average brewery.

Note: As i finish my first bottle and open the second my belly warms considerabley from the alcohol, which by the way did not show itself in the nose, nor in the mouth.

3.49/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured clear, dark brown in color from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass, this beer exhibits vigorous carbonation with a thick creamy head that settles quickly.

Although my sinuses were clear and I drank this in a smoke-free environment, I could detect very little in the way of aroma. What I could smell was an extremely light hop aroma with a sweet, almost artificial fruitiness that I can only say reminded me of Veryfine Fruit Punch.

Taste is bitter with a definite roasted malt flavor, however this beer tastes more like a porter or stout than a Scottish Ale; it simply lacks the malty sweetness that I'm used to. But, aside from this difference in characteristics, this is a good tasting beer.

Mouthfeel is definitely reminiscent of a porter or lighter variety stout.

Drinkability is slightly above average for this beer. I probably wouldn't consume more than 2 or 3 in a sitting before switching to something a bit lighter.

3.49/5  rDev -9.6%

RtB has a dark brown body with a tan head that disappears pretty quick. Quite an amazing smell to it: roasted malt, chocolate, nuttiness, honey, and something like sasperella. Sadly, the taste is less tantalizing than the aroma. Flavors are quite muted when contrasted with the aroma. Some fine roasted malt with a bit of that cocoa flavor to accompany, a touch of brandy-like flavor to it. Mouthfeel is very thin and watery, not all that likeable.

Robert the Bruce is an "okay" beer, and the smell is quite tantalizing. Still, I expected a little better from 3Fs. The mouthfeel in particular disappoints. It seems to me there has been some misstep in its production. Probably won't seek it out again.

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours a two finger light tan head that fades slowly to a shallow layer leaving some lace. Deep amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Faint caramel nose. Starts balanced with some caramel sweetness, smooth, finish some hops showing up but a nice Scottish Ale. The ABV is vague, their site lists it at 7.2ABW?? That's 9.1% ABV. $1.59 for a 12oz bottle from John's Grocery Iowa City, Ia.

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Appearances: Ruby colour with a large head from a vigorous dump. The head crashes into surface spit rather abruptly but does leave some clingy lace for posterity. Some bubbling carries on although not overly volatile.

Smell: Toasty grains and brown sugars mostly. Nice sweet brownishness, with some hops that lie beneath the maltiness. Not overly nosey and somewhat ambiguous.

Flavours: Again with the ambiguity. A bizarre creaminess greets me with the malt flavours and then the taste shifts into a hop quality. This beer feels as if it is reacting with my mouth and bubbling up like pop rocks or something. I just cannot figure out where this thing is going. Blurry in terms of character. Bizarre after effect as well. I am just at a loss here. The malt profile seems decent, but there is another indescribable entity lingering around that just does not work all that well. I usually look for distinction and this brew is just not well defined in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: The feel is fine. It does exhibit the weird change when it hits my mouth and consequently ends up feeling a bit too thin. This wee heavy should be a wee bit heavier.

Drinkability: This beer is not organized enough for my personal preferences. It just does not have any solid characters that would lead me to persue another glass. An exercise in anonimity in my opinion.

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

12 oz bottle into a 3F pint glass.

A - Pours a dark brown body that lets some light through. Thick and fluffy four finger high light khaki head settles down to some really dense foam.

S - Roasty caramel malts, coffee beans, caramelized sugar, toffee and some smoke.

T - Roasty and smokey. Plenty of caramel malt with a peaty and earthy finish. No hops detected but a slight candied sweetness is present. Fairly dry but highly carbonated. Light to medium mouth feel.

O - Tatsy, but not very inspiring. It is a really easy drinking malt and smoke forward beer though.

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This brew was served from the tap at the Three Floyds Brewpub in Munster, Indiana. It arrived in a generic nonic glass, showing a warm maple syrup brown. It held a one and a half finger tall head of tan, cakey bubbles, showing nice retention. Patterned lacing was seen around the glass. No haze or sediment was noted, and carbonation appeared to be mild. The nose filled with notes of warmed chocolate and brown malts, mild woodiness, medicinals, red grape winey bite, raw toffee sweetness, vanilla bean, and sweaty, cheap malts with big metallics on the back. Our first impression was that the flavoring was mild but complex through the grain bill it presented. As we sipped, the taste opened with bitter nuttiness of walnuts and Brazil nuts, toasted brown malts, residual dextrins, burnt soy sauce, and cloying and drying red grape skins. The middle came to a peak with toasty caramel malts, fusel vanilla extract, cooling metallics, adjuncts, seven-grain breadiness, and bittered oak air to pull us to the finish. Here we were met with a curious inclusion of slightly grassy hops, warmed milk chocolates, aromatic toffee sweetness, cranberry sourness, and that same red grapey bite. The aftertaste breathed of sour lemons, vinegar acidity, charred bitterness of caramel and light chocolates, booze, chalked chocolates, and the sweet dryness of iced tea. The body was medium, and the carbonation was medium to high. The mouth was coated with slick oiliness following pleasant slurp, smack, froth, pop, and cream. Eventually a tannic astringency and sugary sweet pucker took over, giving final dryness. The abv was appropriate, and the beer drank a bit more slowly.

Overall, the thing we liked best about this beer was its complexity. The flavoring remained nicely fruity and sweet, spicing things up stylistically, while the malts took a back seat until thoroughly warmed. Soy sauce saltiness and pale honey sweetness helped keep things a bit more serious, but the residual sugars did become a bit much by the end. The nose felt comparatively cheaper and thinned through. This beer drinks decently but never quite melds as much as you want it too. While I definitely bled with William Wallace, I’m still not sure if I will bleed with Robert The Bruce.

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Dark Copper Orange color with thick cream colored head that dissipates slowly.
Condensation formed on the glass so fast, I could not get a good feel for the clarity.
I do not detect much aroma, just a trace of malt. First taste is carmel malt which lingers.
Every taste is malt; but there is what I perceive to be a trace of smoke (peat ?)

Hops are almost imperceptible, but this could be because I drink so much IPA.
(I waited three days after my last IPA to taste this because I wanted a full experience)
There is overwhelming carmel and malt in every taste. Mouthfeel is good, about average, not thick, and I do not detect any alcoholic flavor. This bottle does not say what the ABV for this beer is.

I will try anything by Three Floyds, and I could drink several of these, but given the choice of an IPA, Stout or Porter, I would probably choose those; especially Three Floyds Alpha King.

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Auburn color with a thin khaki-colored, tiny-bubbled head that runs down the glass and disappears in the beer.

Butter raisin and malt smell. Taste brings in smokey peat and a medicinal edge. Finishes with a sharp rosin taste and a quick dab of acidic citrus. Healthy alcoholic bite.

Medium mouthfeel. My tongue felt a bit scorched. It's a reasonably good Scottish, but not my fave.

12oz bottle received from Davey

Poured a deep ruby red with a 2 finger light tan head that faded fairly fast. Smells roasty, caramel, fresh coffee. Tastes VERY malty. not a huge fan of malty beers but this is decent for the style. I wouldnt seek this out again just because of its maltiness.

3.47/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

3.0 A: Clear medium brown color. One finger of off-white frothy head that falls quickly and leaves moderate lacing.

3.5 S: Sweet caramel and bready malts. Nice tinge of alcohol, molasses, and toffee.

3.5 T: Bready malts first of all. Caramel and molasses. Nice taste, but seems watered down compared to some of my more preferred Scotchies.

3.5 M: Medium body. Reasonable creaminess and good carbonation.

3.5 D: No big flaws, but not show stopping either. A decent brew.

3.47/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured shoe leather brown into a snifter. Lots of carbonation bubbles adhered to the glass but not alot of head, just a ring that didn't lace too much.

Smell was malty sweet with a floral hop.

Tasted of sweet caramel on first sip followed by a floral hop upon swallowing. as the beer warmed up in my glass the sweetness got stronger. The floral hop taste is sticking to the back of my tongue though, not a crisp finish at all but instead a very lingering hop finish... wont go away either. For a scottish ale i would prefer the hops to finish clean with not so much of a lingering flavor. the malt should be the lingering flavor but i am losing the malt to the finishing hops.

Mouthfeel is good, perhaps slightly overcarbonated.

I could drink a couple of these, but even after one i feel like hops are growing on the back of my palate and tongue.. would be hard to drink more than 1 or 2 at a time, tops.

3.46/5  rDev -10.4%

This is a great beer to drink every now and then.
A: The beer appears like a dark cola, when held up to the light it becomes a dark brown/copper color.
S: No super strong aroma, which means its not good or bad
T: A great tast for a strong scottish ale. Many scottish ales taste of peat nutts chocolate, coffee....and too many other things. This beer is hefty in taste but is not overwhelmed by any particular flavor.
M: leaves a little something on the finish, not bad not great.
D: It is a heavier beer, not great on a hot day. That said great with a heavy meal or when its a bit cooler out.

3.46/5  rDev -10.4%

12oz brown glass pry-top bottle. Thanks to John for this one!

Pours a gorgeous cherry wood color with thick creamy tan head. One of the sexiest-looking beers I've ever seen.

Nose is subtle and creamy with nice pale caramel and earthy wood notes. Whispers but solid.

Palate is a little watery but flavors are good. Thin medium caramel, and a nice earthy resin/oak-like flavor. A little lacking in the mouthfeel.

Notes: Like some fast cars, this bad boy looks nice and smells nice, but doesn't deliver out on the road.

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a dark brownish red color with a tannish head leaving no lacing. Caramel, toffee, and roasted barley, plenty of hops present as well. Sweet caramel and toffee paired with roastiness, a lingering cocoa finish. High carbonation, medium to full bodied. Pretty decent beer to have once in a while, worthy of a try.

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark red/brown, one inch cream color, small bubbled head, low translucence, zero lacing

S - carmel malt, honey

T - initial: carmel malt, dry, buiscity, earthy. finish is a bit roasty, bitter (3/10)

M - frothy, med body, creamy, viscosity is med

O - Fits style. But nose and taste are average and I didn't care for the carmel, earthy, roastiness taste. Froth level is very nice tho.

Robert The Bruce from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.