Robert The Bruce | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Robert The BruceRobert The Bruce

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: Scottish Ale

A full-bodied Scottish-style Ale with a well-rounded malty profile and roasted biscuit-like notes.

Added by purplehops on 08-06-2001

Reviews: 989 | Ratings: 3,121
3.52/5  rDev -9%

Pours a deep brown opaque with a cm or so of white head. The head disappears quickly, and then it looks kind of like flat Coke or Pepsi in the glass. Smell is thick and malty sweet with just a bit of caramel.

Taste and mouthfeel: Similarly thick and syrupy, sweet fruity malt on top of a solid caramel flavor. The alcohol comes through pretty clearly in the finish, but there's also a piney dryness there.

Overall: Malty and thick, but not fantastic. Kind of expensive for what it is, although I didn't mind drinking it.

3.52/5  rDev -9%

Poured a slightly dark brown that has a dark amber color when held up to the light. Not a very big head on this one. I smell dark fruits and a little bit of chocolate. I also get some roasted malts. Hmmmm...the taste is very interesting...A bit overly sweet though. I get prunes, raisins, and plums in the aftertaste. Not much hop character, but a strong malt profile. This beer has candy sugar notes all over my palate. The mouthfeel is a bit syrupy, but not too bad. The drinkability is not very high considering it is a little too sweet. I'm not against sweet beers, but this has too much of a sugary taste to me.

3.52/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

the bottle empties into my glass, and what is revealed is sort of orange on the edges, but a deep red/mahogany in the middle, very bright and clear, topped with a half inch of tan head. The head fades quickly to an uneven cap, and no real lacing is left, but this remains a really good-looking beer.

The aroma is rather underwhelming after the pour. It is very light. Inhaling deeply brings some heavily caramelized, almost toffee notes, along with a dark toast component, and a vague suggestion of earthy, smoky aromas...so, it's pretty good - it's just like most of it is missing.

the beer smells kind of sweet, but it isn't out of line in the flavor. It is very drying in the mouth, full of maltiness, and the bitterness is kind of coarse and seems more similar to that I'd expect from heavily kilned malts than hops. Toast, a bit od roast, and more heavily caramelized sugars show themselves often, along with a decent amount of alcohol.

Body is a bit thin, carbonation a tad high - nothing crazy, but I'm comparing to some really good beers here...
This is not a particularly drinkable style to my tastes, but this is perhaps more drinkable than average. Something beyond an introductory Scottish, but not quite up to the best efforts.

3.51/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured a dark brown/black with a thick tan head that sticks around. It's cloudy with particles visible and light carbonation showing. Good lacing.

The smell is malt with a faint scent of piney hops.

The taste is smooth roasted malt, maybe a little chocolate or coffee tone, but nothing real strong. Overall the flavor is solid but subtle.

The mouthfeel is smooth with a little bite from carbonation.

This is a very drinkable beer, the flavor is certainly there, but not in your face.

3.51/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

At home watching the 4th game of the '05 World Series.

Beautiful amber pour with hints of warm oranges and autumn reds when held to a light. A steady stream of delicate bubbles flows up towards a thick, creamy, retentive head. Some malts smells, but a strong floral hoppy scent. The beer is somewhat light, with a definate roasted malt flavor which gives way to a hoppy bitter finish. Alcohol is hidden well. A very easy drink. Decent Scottish Ale.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

pours hazy dark copper amber with a 1+ finger head that left some spotted lacing

smells of nutty chocolate caramel malts and some earthy grassy hops

taste matches the nose - same nutty caramel malt little chocolate on the finish - no real hop flavor but there is some nice bitterness

mouthfeel - medium body with good carbonation very smooth and creamy

overall - while the flavors are above average and enjoyable for a sessionable malt fix this beer is lacking some alcohol heat

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

This beer pours a light bodied, burnt mahogany in color with red accents in the light and with no head. The aromas are of sweet malt and a moderate nuttiness, probably a hazelnut. It's solid but nothing special. The flavor is solid. I like it for the style but it isn't anything too special. It drinks pretty light in body and leaves a sweet, nutty after taste behind. I'd prefer it a little heavier. It's just ok and drinking it is no problem at all, if you want to.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Not a bad Scottish Ale, but nothing extraordinary. Brown in color, kind of on the drab side, not very exciting. The basic characters are there - nice peat and slightly smoky, malty and a bit nutty, but nothing really jumps out and grabs me. I tend to prefer drier beers but for a Scotch ale I'm really looking for that malty robust sweet flavor and this one isn't giving it to me. Not much in the way of spicy hops either, which wouldn't have hurt. However this was a nice and mellow brew, maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from a bottle in July 2012.

For perspective, my primary basis for comparison for this beer is Founder's Dirty Bastard, which is one of my personal favorites.

A: Nice semi-transparent brownish pour which turns to a nice shade of red through the light. Little to no head or lacing.

S: Nice smell, a bit of booze and lots of malt.

T: Malty, malty, malty, with just a hint of booze on the finish. Not as boozy or complex as the Dirty Bastard, but still a good beer.

M: Thinner than I'm used to, but that's refreshing. An easier drinker due to the slightly thinner mouth feel and lower ABV.

O: An above-average beer, and one I'd happily drink again. With Founders and what some would argue as their "flagship" Dirty Bastard less than 10 miles down the road, though, it's hard to put this above the Founders offering.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

A- golden brown with white head. lacing through the drink.

S- smells like molasses and brown sugar with malty goodness.

T- taste doesn't live up to my expectations. It is a little more scotchy as in butterscotch for me. No hops to speak of

M- Medium but with a slick oil feel as well.

O- it's alright, worth a try of course. I won't revisit but doesn't mean you shouldn't

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Poured from the bottle to a dark brown with a hint of red, a thin off-white head that lingered thru mid-glass and okay lacing. Nose was malty chcolate, a hint of roasted nuts and alcohol. The mouth was a bit on the thin side, and the flavor picked up the malty flavors, but the alcohol was most noticeable. Finish was short, a little bitter (the hops finally made themselves known) and a tad watery.

Not bad, but FFF has done much better.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

A: Pours a deep reddish mahogany color. A small white head forms and leaves little lace.
S: Dark fruits and lots of roasted malt. Just a hint of peat aroma.
T: Very fruity. Lots of cherries and plumbs. Sweet candy like malt. Hardly any peat flavor though, which is what I love about Scottish Ales.
M/D: A full body that is rich and creamy. Well carbonated. A pretty smooth beer to drink for the high ABV. Something I could session.

This is a very good beer. Though it does not hit the spot as far as Scottish Ales go. That being one of my favorite styles, I am a bit more harsh on my review. If it had more peat flavor this might be one of my favorites of the style.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

The beer comes in a dark copper color.

The aroma has high grain wheat toasted bread with some caramel sweetness.

The flavor follows with that grain toasted bread flavor that offers some nuttiness and toasted seeds. A medium caramel sweetness. A medium to medium minus mouthfeel.

A middle of the road brew that is well made, but I don't feel a desire to return to it.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Thanks to pwoods for the opportunity to try this beer

A- A beautifully clear beer with hazelnut like colors and almost a non existent head, no lacing whatsoever. Carbonation bubbles do continuously pierce the surface of this beer.

S- Some caramel or sweet aroma is provided by the malts along with a spiciness or smokiness in the back drop.

T- Sweets with a burnt sugar flavor behind it, bready and buckwheat honey like flavors seem to be most noticeable.

M - Seems thin for the style but still very smooth which is nice, but not the malt bomb I hope for with this style; however this does add to the drinkability of the beer.

D - Like I said before it seems light for the style but there's enough flavor there to make this an enjoyable beer that I could easily put more than a few away in a night.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

My first taste of Three Floyd's outside DLD....

Pours an opaque brown with some red highlights showing when through light. Head is small and quick to leave. The taste was quite interesting being sweet, malty, and somewhat creamy - a sensation I wasn't expecting. I also detected some hints of what feels like cherry. Malt flavors hang around for a bit longer than I'd like.

Very interesting beer...still have two left so I'll be looking forward to them.

12oz bottle -> goblet
no date

Pours a cleardark rusted amber with golden orange highlights. A small tinged tan head quickly evaporates to a small puddle of soap suds. Dotted minimal lacing. Carbonation appears slow and steady.

Nose: Sweet candy smell, touches of caramel, some of those can't miss FFF hops, and some earthiness.

Taste: Malty and heavy, not nearly as sweet as the nose indicated but sweet nonetheless. A lingering malty drying finish, with a little balancing bitterness.

Mouth is medium to thin and in need of a little more carbonation. Dry mouth ensues.

Drinkability is average due to the abundant sweetness and lack of actual malt depth. An average beer from a not average brewery.

Note: As i finish my first bottle and open the second my belly warms considerabley from the alcohol, which by the way did not show itself in the nose, nor in the mouth.

3.49/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured clear, dark brown in color from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass, this beer exhibits vigorous carbonation with a thick creamy head that settles quickly.

Although my sinuses were clear and I drank this in a smoke-free environment, I could detect very little in the way of aroma. What I could smell was an extremely light hop aroma with a sweet, almost artificial fruitiness that I can only say reminded me of Veryfine Fruit Punch.

Taste is bitter with a definite roasted malt flavor, however this beer tastes more like a porter or stout than a Scottish Ale; it simply lacks the malty sweetness that I'm used to. But, aside from this difference in characteristics, this is a good tasting beer.

Mouthfeel is definitely reminiscent of a porter or lighter variety stout.

Drinkability is slightly above average for this beer. I probably wouldn't consume more than 2 or 3 in a sitting before switching to something a bit lighter.

3.49/5  rDev -9.8%

RtB has a dark brown body with a tan head that disappears pretty quick. Quite an amazing smell to it: roasted malt, chocolate, nuttiness, honey, and something like sasperella. Sadly, the taste is less tantalizing than the aroma. Flavors are quite muted when contrasted with the aroma. Some fine roasted malt with a bit of that cocoa flavor to accompany, a touch of brandy-like flavor to it. Mouthfeel is very thin and watery, not all that likeable.

Robert the Bruce is an "okay" beer, and the smell is quite tantalizing. Still, I expected a little better from 3Fs. The mouthfeel in particular disappoints. It seems to me there has been some misstep in its production. Probably won't seek it out again.

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a two finger light tan head that fades slowly to a shallow layer leaving some lace. Deep amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Faint caramel nose. Starts balanced with some caramel sweetness, smooth, finish some hops showing up but a nice Scottish Ale. The ABV is vague, their site lists it at 7.2ABW?? That's 9.1% ABV. $1.59 for a 12oz bottle from John's Grocery Iowa City, Ia.

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

Appearances: Ruby colour with a large head from a vigorous dump. The head crashes into surface spit rather abruptly but does leave some clingy lace for posterity. Some bubbling carries on although not overly volatile.

Smell: Toasty grains and brown sugars mostly. Nice sweet brownishness, with some hops that lie beneath the maltiness. Not overly nosey and somewhat ambiguous.

Flavours: Again with the ambiguity. A bizarre creaminess greets me with the malt flavours and then the taste shifts into a hop quality. This beer feels as if it is reacting with my mouth and bubbling up like pop rocks or something. I just cannot figure out where this thing is going. Blurry in terms of character. Bizarre after effect as well. I am just at a loss here. The malt profile seems decent, but there is another indescribable entity lingering around that just does not work all that well. I usually look for distinction and this brew is just not well defined in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: The feel is fine. It does exhibit the weird change when it hits my mouth and consequently ends up feeling a bit too thin. This wee heavy should be a wee bit heavier.

Drinkability: This beer is not organized enough for my personal preferences. It just does not have any solid characters that would lead me to persue another glass. An exercise in anonimity in my opinion.

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

12 oz bottle into a 3F pint glass.

A - Pours a dark brown body that lets some light through. Thick and fluffy four finger high light khaki head settles down to some really dense foam.

S - Roasty caramel malts, coffee beans, caramelized sugar, toffee and some smoke.

T - Roasty and smokey. Plenty of caramel malt with a peaty and earthy finish. No hops detected but a slight candied sweetness is present. Fairly dry but highly carbonated. Light to medium mouth feel.

O - Tatsy, but not very inspiring. It is a really easy drinking malt and smoke forward beer though.

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This brew was served from the tap at the Three Floyds Brewpub in Munster, Indiana. It arrived in a generic nonic glass, showing a warm maple syrup brown. It held a one and a half finger tall head of tan, cakey bubbles, showing nice retention. Patterned lacing was seen around the glass. No haze or sediment was noted, and carbonation appeared to be mild. The nose filled with notes of warmed chocolate and brown malts, mild woodiness, medicinals, red grape winey bite, raw toffee sweetness, vanilla bean, and sweaty, cheap malts with big metallics on the back. Our first impression was that the flavoring was mild but complex through the grain bill it presented. As we sipped, the taste opened with bitter nuttiness of walnuts and Brazil nuts, toasted brown malts, residual dextrins, burnt soy sauce, and cloying and drying red grape skins. The middle came to a peak with toasty caramel malts, fusel vanilla extract, cooling metallics, adjuncts, seven-grain breadiness, and bittered oak air to pull us to the finish. Here we were met with a curious inclusion of slightly grassy hops, warmed milk chocolates, aromatic toffee sweetness, cranberry sourness, and that same red grapey bite. The aftertaste breathed of sour lemons, vinegar acidity, charred bitterness of caramel and light chocolates, booze, chalked chocolates, and the sweet dryness of iced tea. The body was medium, and the carbonation was medium to high. The mouth was coated with slick oiliness following pleasant slurp, smack, froth, pop, and cream. Eventually a tannic astringency and sugary sweet pucker took over, giving final dryness. The abv was appropriate, and the beer drank a bit more slowly.

Overall, the thing we liked best about this beer was its complexity. The flavoring remained nicely fruity and sweet, spicing things up stylistically, while the malts took a back seat until thoroughly warmed. Soy sauce saltiness and pale honey sweetness helped keep things a bit more serious, but the residual sugars did become a bit much by the end. The nose felt comparatively cheaper and thinned through. This beer drinks decently but never quite melds as much as you want it too. While I definitely bled with William Wallace, I’m still not sure if I will bleed with Robert The Bruce.

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

Dark Copper Orange color with thick cream colored head that dissipates slowly.
Condensation formed on the glass so fast, I could not get a good feel for the clarity.
I do not detect much aroma, just a trace of malt. First taste is carmel malt which lingers.
Every taste is malt; but there is what I perceive to be a trace of smoke (peat ?)

Hops are almost imperceptible, but this could be because I drink so much IPA.
(I waited three days after my last IPA to taste this because I wanted a full experience)
There is overwhelming carmel and malt in every taste. Mouthfeel is good, about average, not thick, and I do not detect any alcoholic flavor. This bottle does not say what the ABV for this beer is.

I will try anything by Three Floyds, and I could drink several of these, but given the choice of an IPA, Stout or Porter, I would probably choose those; especially Three Floyds Alpha King.

3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

Auburn color with a thin khaki-colored, tiny-bubbled head that runs down the glass and disappears in the beer.

Butter raisin and malt smell. Taste brings in smokey peat and a medicinal edge. Finishes with a sharp rosin taste and a quick dab of acidic citrus. Healthy alcoholic bite.

Medium mouthfeel. My tongue felt a bit scorched. It's a reasonably good Scottish, but not my fave.

12oz bottle received from Davey

Poured a deep ruby red with a 2 finger light tan head that faded fairly fast. Smells roasty, caramel, fresh coffee. Tastes VERY malty. not a huge fan of malty beers but this is decent for the style. I wouldnt seek this out again just because of its maltiness.

Robert The Bruce from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.