Dreadnaught IPA | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA
4.4/5
Outstanding
Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Imperial IPA

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

#410

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 1,742 | Ratings: 6,128

Deuce to tulip. TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN FOR DOUBLE IPAs! Perfect bouquet and combination of hops on the palate. Not gonna waste my time talking about obscure references to citrus fruits; take my word for it: there's a reason this stuff is $10 at the store for a 24 oz.

I split a bomber with a buddy, I wish I didn't! This stuff is so good! Pours a hazy golden color w/ a great creamy white head that isn't going anywhere and extremely sticky lacing. Great looking brew! Oh yeah, this is the stuff. Great fruity aromas, very pungent and extremely tropical. Peach, pineapple, mango, tangerine and grapefruit dominate. The flavors are extremely juicy, bitter, but balanced. Perfect! Mouthfeel is extremely creamy, smooth, awesome! Drinkability is great, alcohol is masked, easy drinking, amazing flavors make it impossible to want to stop. Holy shit!

This beer is best of the best. Hopslam has always been the benchmark for me along with Double Sunshine which I've recently had.. Dreadnaught is definitely on the same exact level, probably even slightly superior. This beer is for real, worth the hype. There's not one thing I'd change about this brew.. Perfection!

I would have to say that this gets a perfect score. Golden orange appearance with an almost white head and nice sticky lacing drapes the glass. Sweet, citrus hops taste all the way through. Taste is vibrant with intense tropical fruits, and nice bittering hops. Alcohol is very well masked. The benchmark for which all IIPA's should be compared to.

This is the king of IIPAs. Hands down, no questions asked.

Pours a super hazy orange, not much of a head but no matter....

This thing assaulted me with its citrusy hop aroma 2 seconds after I cracked it open. Unbelievably citrusy aroma, pineapple or peach or something.

This is just over the top hoppiness here and I love it. Juicy citrusy hop flavor all the way. You know what you're getting when you open this and it doesn't disappoint.

Fabulous all the way around here. Too bad I didn't get a case. Got 5 left and was thinking about trading some but not sure I can get rid of this.

Pours a hazy orange with a billowy white head that floats on the surface of the beer like a great big cloud. Fantastic lace sheets the glass with each sip.

A graasy, citrusy hop nose highlights the aroma of this beer. A touch of malt balances the hops nicely.

The carmel like sweetness of the malt is finished by a grassy hoppines. This is what an IPA shopuld taste like. This is the most balanced IPA I have ever tried. Neither the hops nor the malt dominate the flavor yet both standout.

This is a nice chewy beer that is not too heavy and is characterized by a slight bitter bite that lasts from beginning to end. This beer is the epitome of what a perfect beer should be.

I loved this beer and cannot wait to try this wonderful tonic again. This beer is what beer is all about. Simplicity, complexity, balance, hydration, contentment. Superb.

WOOOO! Just had this right after Alpha King. I was skeptical that this would beat it but I was wrong! This is a DIPA to end all DIPA's!

A: Golden in color and very clear. Beer pours a huge head and A TON of lacing lingers on the glass after the head withdraws. Couldn't have been better.

S: Perfect. Absolutely perfect. Smell lots of lemon, orange, grapefruit, apricot and mango (emphasis on the last two). It's practically a hop feast. However, there's a subtle amount of malt in the mix - mostly caramel and amber. I can't wait to imbibe on this.

T: You can't get better than this. This blows all the other DIPA's I've had out of the water. Simply superb balance between malt and hops. Can taste lots of sweet caramel and honey in the malt. These quickly give way to the hops which taste of grapefruit, mango, orange peel and lemon. I couldn't dream of a better beer.

M: Very thick and creamy. The carbonation balances out the thickness, however.

O: Perfect DIPA.

A: Poured a deep, rather thick orangish brown with good carbonation and a nice white head.

S: Nose is big with pineapple, caramel, biscuity malt, floral.

T: Taste is GREAT. After having this back to back with PtY I can say I liked Dreadnaught better. Fresh fruits, pineapple, tropical, some floral notes, caramel.

M: More malts, better balance, chewy, big hops, pine, pineapple on the taste, tasty indeed, was not a full out palate killer.

D: Extremely drinkable and smooth. Wow. I loved this stuff! Only the second perfect score so far.

22oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours to a deep amber with a slight haze, a decent off-white head that dissipates at a normal rate and leaves a think, even lace on the glass.

S: A great blend of hops and citrus. I was expecting a hops smell that would knock me over, but the orangey-tangerine sweetness makes the aroma very pleasing.

T: The sweetness in the smell makes you think it may be overly sweet but that is certainly not the case. Excellent heavy hops flavor as you would expect for the style with citrus and malt to balance it out. There’s almost no hint of the 9.5% ABV. The hops flavor stays in the after-taste (again, as expected) along with a bit of sweetness, which personally I haven’t found in too many beers of this style. The taste in each sip makes you crave the next.

M: Very crisp. Very smooth. Perfectly balanced. Medium-bodied. Light carbonation. VERY clean finish.

D: Since this beer has an excellent taste, hides the high ABV and is both smooth and balanced, I’m giving it a rare 5 score.

When I found out about a place around here that sold stuff from Three Floyds I went there as soon as I could in hopes that this beer would be there. When I got there, they didn’t have it, but assured me they’d be getting it. About a month later it arrived and I have to say it has lived up to all of the hype and made the wait worth while. If you have access to this beer, you owe it to yourself to at least try it and more than likely consume a great deal of it.

I think what I like most about this beer is its solid nature. It is an all around solid great beer. It is not the most complex, but that works in its favor here. Sometimes, a complex beer loses points in drinkability with me because after one, my palate is tired. Not so with this one.

Dreadnaught is a beer I can enjoy immensely and still want to reach for another.

I bought this in a 22 oz bomber. The label has a crazed British soldier drinking from a metal mug labeled "I.P.A." next to him are two rather weird looking purple skinned people that are supposed to be Indian I think. Who the hell draws this stuff?!?!?

It pours a warm looking hazy golden orange with a chunky head. Lacing on the glass is evident and a paper thin layer of head floats on top of my glass all the way down.

It smells fruity, but not overpowering. Less fruity than, say, a Stone IPA. Once again, not over the top, but solid. I like that.

The taste is not overwhelming hops. It is hoppy, however. I think they did a great job of integrating the hops and malt. Nice.

Mouthfeel is actually on the creamy side and not harsh. The hops last in my mouth, but are not overpowering. Food goes well with this beer (At least the feta, tomato, and spinach pizza from Trader Joe's goes well).

I wish I had some 12oz. bottles of this so I could have 3 in a night. Very nice job.

Pours bright orange with a small, bubbly head.

Tons of hop aroma in the nose. It's like a pine bomb went off in the glass. Lots of bitterness and a little sweetness too.

Full bodied with light carbonation, but smooth and creamy. Absolut hop bomb here. Tons of citrusness that becomes quite bitter and just finishes with a dry bitterness. Sweetness is also quite pronounced as well with some malt backbone. This beer is all about the hops though.

Delicious IIPA, I know all 5's should be rare but this is truly an exceptional beer. Alcohol is very well hidden. Truly a masterpiece. Just wish I'd bought more than one.

A - Bright gold with thick head as white as clouds. The head clings to the glass as if trying to escape from the hops. High carbonation that shows you how active this beer is in smell and taste. An amazing display! To add, the head laces the glass so well, you can see where each previous drink was.

S - Citrus and HOPS with caramel notes. The floral hops are giving off an exceptional, powerful aroma.

T - Citrus and caramel at first, but then the hops overwhelm you (in a great way). The hop taste will linger in your mouth for quite a while.

M - High carbonation to balance out the powerful hops.

D - There is no denying I love this beer. The drinkability is amazing. Depending on how people feel about powerful hop taste is the difference in drinkability. For me this is perfect!

this pours a nice, thick, orangey light amber with just a slight haze. just looks big and menacing in that little bowtie at the pub or a tulip at home. off-white creamy, beautiful head and persistent lacing. aromas are huge and upfront, with the citrusy sweet hops (like fresh orange blossoms) dominating along with some fresh bread dough, honey, pine, and floral notes. prominent sweetness at the beginning is eventually overtaken by the huge, but smooth hop bitterness in this beer. absolutely refined and not in any way rough around the edges like some other ipa's or dipa's. balance is superb. super long finish, only at the end of which is the faint warming alcohol (hidden in the aroma and taste)kick noticeable. huge bodied and viscous. dangerously drinkable. the best dipa i've had, hands down. note: i have had a light-struck bottle or two wherein some fishy aromas have developed. make sure it's fresh and not light-struck...just go to the brewery if possible.
i've had many special moments with this beer and could go on and on.

This has and probably always will be one of my favorite beers. Tons of citrus and fruit notes from the hops which is perfectly balanced by the malts which lends a bit of sweetness but never takes away from the hop profile which is exqusite to say the least. Extremely drinkable to the point where you're sad to see it go but glad it went down

I was practically speachless after tasting this masterpiece of beer perfection. I don't know the specs but this is one big ass beer. Spicy hop attack, syrupy alcohol, substantial malt presence, more alcohol, peppery hop finish. Run, don't walk to try this awesome brew!

I may have found the perfect beer for my tastebuds - and nose. This is one amazing olfactory and taste bud experience. Holy hops/malt balance, Batman!

Copperish tones, with red highlights, large fluffy bubbly head.

Major grapefruit up front in the nose, overtop of pine and a little straw, and some nice bready malt.

The flavor is insanely wonderful, this is as close to hophead beer nirvana as I have been privy to yet. Bitter citrus notes hit hard, and then hang on, but there are other flavors to be sampled throughout the sip. Nice sweet caramelly or sugary taste that really compliments the hops nicely.

Mouthfeel is simply stunning - no hot throat or even warm tummy. Sort of sits in your mouth, on your tongue and even down the top of your throat for a long time as each sip slowly fades away...

Only drinkability issue is finding more of this to sip on....

A: Dark orange with a big head that leaves some lacing. Definitely big alcohol legs going on.

S: WOW! this smell blew me out of the water. Big and juicy. Mango that just keeps going and going. Big tropical fruit, lots of pineapple, burnt orange and some lemon citrus. There is a caramel malt in the background here and a touch of pine but man, the mango just shines!!

T: The hops on this beer are amazing. Once again at the front to f the tongue mango shows up, grabs hold and doesnt let go. Then come the citrus, lemon, burnt caramel orange and pineapple. Towards the middle of the mouth you get a touch of malty sweetness but that is destroyed by the piney, resin hop bitterness at the end. And this finish keeps going and going and makes you crave more. It's pretty juicy. This is definitely a hop forward beer but the hops are all balanced out nicely together.

M: Syrupy, almost full bodied with just enough carbonation. This is very refreshing and surprisingly easy drinking. more please!

O: This was one of my first "religious" beer experiences back in the day and it only gets better every time i have it. The hops shine and it is just bursting with flavor. Probably my favorite beer! /99

I would like to thank the great Iowa BA, BuckeyeNation for hooking me up with a bomber of this awesome stuff.
Pours a bright carmel color, crystal clear in transparency. Head is fairly big and very creamy, as it lingers as long as as I have been writing the first portion of this review. Smell is of citrusy hops, floral hops, and a sweet toffee smell. Absolutely perfect for the style. Taste is gigantic. Packed wall to wall with a hop bitterness that is on par with the best American double IPA's (Rogue, for one). I served this only slightly colder than room temperature, because I wanted the full brunt of the hops onslaught. Mouthful is also perfct. Smooth and slick, almost motor oil viscosity. Excellent all around, versus the style. Get it, drink it, love it.

Im very luck to get this brought to me. All the way from Kentucky Best beer Ive ever had? If not it's damn close. Lots of grapefruit favors. The smell is very strong. I'm finding it really hard not to finishing this off quickly. Extremly smooth for a 100 ibu beer.
I want more.

This is my second review of Dreadnaught, easily a desert Island beer for me, and possibly the beer I would drink last before I die (though Vanilla Bean Dark Lord probably would be it if available). Certainly it is my favorite beer that is easily available year round. I was INCREDIBLY fortunate enough to be given a growler of Dread that was tapped the day before from my beer guy in DC. I feel it is my duty to tell the beer world that you must try Dreadnaught on tap (fresh) or from a fresh growler to really appreciate this amazing beer.

The beer pours great with sticky lacing and a perfect orange hue characteristic on DIPA's, with a nice white head.

The smell might almost be the best part. Huge aroma of grapefruit, tropical fruit hops, notes of pine hops, candied malt, tangerine, and more waft effortlessly from the glass in such an open and dank way. Just so much hops in there but all of it with a beautiful fruit tinge and with some sweet malt to back it up.

The taste follows the flavor almost exactly, which I'm finding as I review more beers is becoming more rare. This beer does not disappoint and opens up a completely balanced flavor with absolutely no flaws or flavors that completely dominate. All the notes of tropical fruit, grapefruit, dank pine hops, sweeter bready malts, bitters and sweetness, and more all get along very well. Hops up front, malt and fruit in the middle, and a bittersweet end that lingers a long time.

Mouthfeel is great, it's so smooth and awesome. The creaminess is there with just enough carbonation. This is so great. Drinkability? I could drink this all day because the alcohol is hardly detectable at all, its completely sugar coated and pleasant, no burn is here AT ALL.

I had this growler next to a bottles of the best bottles Hop beers available right now (including two seasonals from great beer companies, two really great beers) and there was no contest. Granted, from a growler will always be better than a bottle for me, but still the Dreadnaught is just such a well crafted beer. What can I say, my handle even pays homage to this beer!

Date Drunk: 3/3/11

On cask, this beer is just perfect. Smooths out to the point you think you might be drinking hop flavor water with the perfect wetness. I wish this can always be in cask form. The grapefruit and hops are really present in the cask version when compare to the bottle and tap. Try to hunt down this verison!

Poured from the bomber to my glass. Bill who sold it to me says it came in about 6 or 7 weeks ago.

A: Beautiful orange but on this one. Light amount of head on top leaving some great lacing.

S: I can smell the citrusy hops as I pour this. Sort of lemony with some good malt character in there. I'd describe the malt as being a little cerealy. Maybe some biscuit but not much.

T: Freakin' amazing. This is what an IPA is meant to be. The hops come through more of a citrus orange then lemon and the bitter lingers on the backend. Up front is that sweet malt. It's amazing just how long the hop stays with you. This is certainly one you can sip and enjoy for awhile. Makes it well worth that $11.99 price tag.

M: It feels "bright" in your mouth. From the moment you drink it until well after your done your taste buds will tingle. It's exactly what you want with an IPA.

O: A+ hands down. One of the best if not the best IPA I've ever had. If you're a lover of IPA's and haven't had this you're doing yourself a disservice.

Let's start out by saying there is no quesiton why this beer is so highly sought after, you'll know from the second you crack the bottle. Appears: a deep copper orange hue with a huge frivilous cream colored long-lived head that has left me with some visually appealing full bars of lacing. Aroma: Now this is the selling point of this beer a succulent layer of piney hops masked by an undertow of earthy floral hops this beer is just as malty as it is hoppy adding to the balance and pure greatness of it. If it makes sense this beer's aroma smells like buttery sweet caramelized whole leaf hops it's hard to picture that but once you smell this you realize why this is the most incredible hop nectar I have ever quaffed. Taste: Equally if not surpassingly more amazing than the aromatics, layers of sugar and hop bitterness blend into one orgy of flavor on the palate the piney, slightly earthy, citrus tones of the hops are met with an equally amazing caramel syrupy sugar quality from the malts used here. Clears out the sinuses with hop bitterness and fulfills your sweet tooth at the same time, now that's what I call a beer. Mouthfeel: The creamy texture sends you directly into complete indulgence mode here with juicy hop resin and a full bodied via the malt profile this beer is here to please not only beer enthusiasts but to turn the macro drinker toward the light. Drinkability: Well, it has to rank up there in one of my most amazing tasting experiences of all time, Three Floyd's has redefined an Imperial IPA for me watchout west coast here comes the midwest. So, good and drinkable if I were to come across this beer on tap somebody call the D.D. or better yet let's flag down a bloody taxi because whoever is with me is going to imbibe and enjoy this revolutionary beer at my side.

Flowing from the 22oz bomber, this hazy ale fills my snifter with a very attractive deep orange. About a finger of head rises to top off this beautiful brew. Oh yeah, this is what an IPA should smell like! Lots of citrous aromas dominate the nose. Very clean piney hops add to this powerful aromatic experience. The smell is completed by a little caramel and malt. The taste is wonderful. Hops are quick to attack the palate with sharp citrous and pine notes. The hops are wonderfully potent, but amazingly not overpowering. Sweet caramel and malt flavors form a solid backbone for the taste. There are some spices present that dance with the hops and tantalize the tongue. This is IPA on a Biblical level! Mouthfeel is big, creamy, and smooth - at the same time staying sharp from the hops. Residual hop oils coat your mouth and provide a bitter dry finish, although some of the malt and spice also stick around. Alcohol, although slightly warming, is well hidden in the taste. Wonderfully drinkable, I want to drink Dreadnaught until the day I die. I was a little skeptical about paying $9 for a bomber, but I wish I would have bought everything the store had!

Damn, this is the standard by which all IPAs will be forever judged. I cannot say a single bad thing about this beer. I have always been leary about handing out 5's for a beer, but this brew has honestly earned it. If you can find a bottle, pick it up, you won't be disappointed.

This is the gold standard of IPAs. If I can't rate this as perfect then I don't know what I would or could rate perfect. It has great color, clarity, smell and taste. Perfect hop flower aroma and really packs a wollup! Definitely it's a special occasion experience. If you want to treat yourself then this is the one.

If I could give this beer a 10 on smell I would. Wonderful citrus overtones to an extremely hoppy berverage. Three Floyds generally doesn't disappoint, but I would wager Dreadnaught might be their best beer. Among the finest IPA's I've ever had. Hands down the best smelling beer I've ever had. For fans of Zombie Dust, search this one out it will blow your mind.

Dreadnaught IPA from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.4 out of 5 with 6,128 ratings