Dreadnaught IPA | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001

Ratings: 6,007 |  Reviews: 1,724

1.75/5  rDev -60.1%

1.78/5  rDev -59.5%

2.14/5  rDev -51.3%

Thanks to PabstBlue for this bottle.
Gusher upon opening, probably a bad bottle, looking forward to re-reviewing this one when I next get my hands on it.

Opaque burnt orange color with a clumpy off-white head that dissipates quickly leaving a little lace on the glass. Nose is piney hops along with some citrus and yeast. There is a definite sweetness too...not good. Smells like molasses, carmel, brown sugar, and a touch of hot metal. Decent complexity, just not quite right. Taste confirms my suspicions that this might be a bad bottle, very sweet, the bitterness is soft, there is a pronounced astringency. Reminds me of burnt molasses with a bit of metal in the finish, like sucking on a sugary nickel. Too bad about this bottle, I've heard great things about this beer and have been thoroughly impressed with FFF other brews, so I'm sure the next one won't disappoint.

2.2/5  rDev -49.9%

I really did not like this beer at all. It found it new home in the drain. It tasted like burnt band-aids.

2.28/5  rDev -48.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a Dogfish Head IPA glass

I would like to make a note my beer was FRESH, only roughly 3 weeks on the bottling date.

A - 2.75 - Poured a foggy, murky, honey gold color. Formed a finger of quickly dissipating slightly off-white head. I did not see any pieces of sediment floating around or at the bottom of the glass, so, not sure what's up with the murky haziness.
S - 2.75 - A total malt bomb. Smells like an IPA that has sat for far too long. There are faint traces of peach, mango and hops in the background, but this is entirely overpowered by the intense, almost sickeningly sweet aroma of caramel and malt.
T - 1.75 - Just as bad if not worse than the aroma. This literally tasted as if you took an orange gummy candy, melted it down, mixed it with orange Triple Sec liquor, added in some caramel and called it a beer.
F - 3 - The mouthfeel for me was completely irrelevant because of the taste.
O - 2.25 - This beer absolutely did NOT do it for me. I have a HARD time believing the bottling date on this beer was accurate because it tasted OLD. If this is what the beer was actually intended to taste like, then I have no idea how its score is so high, nor how it made its way onto the BA top 250 list. Disappointing as hell.

2.47/5  rDev -43.7%

A-Very thin, fine head. Clean amber color. Served in a Snifter glass.

S-Citrus-floral aroma.

T-Sweet at first with a mildly bitter finish, consistent and medium bodied.

M-Someone described the mouth feel as a "golden coat". It has a nice clean feel to it.

D-An easily drinkable "sipping" beer.

Overall I was not impressed, its your average craft-brewed IPA.

2.52/5  rDev -42.6%

10-13-2003

Sorry everybody, but I don't like this beer. I hope I move it down in the rankings (edit: damn I didn't) because it made me mad. Maybe its just an off night or something for me, but this beer really is no good!

I'll admit the nose is quite nice, huge citrus hops cascade and centennial I would venture, with a hint of yeastyness and ethanol there.

The taste is huge, its too huge. Its not interesting, it simply rumbles over your tongue. This beer crosses the line. It seems like an excuse to make a stupidly big beer. DFH 90 min is what I think an IIPA should taste like...big but interesting and doing something other than gouping up my mouth. This beer is cloyingly sweet, extremely sweet. I think a really hoppy beer should be balanced with maltiness, NOT SUGAR. My mouth is now coated with a resinous shalack like syrup GODAMMIT! I hate that. The hops and alcohol (which is really obvious in this disaster of a beer) are giving me bad heartburn and I spilled it on my nice leather chair and it was a sticky fucking mess!

All in all, I say tone it down. I couldn't drink another one of these if I had to.

2-20-2005 UPDATE

Well...I had to give it another shot after my horrible experience last year. It it's on 7$ a bomber here which is cheaper than the 10$ I was told to expect. I just have to say that it wasn't my mood or a bad bottle or anything. I hated the beer this time and had to move the mouthfeel rating DOWN to 2.0. This stuff is like barely liquid cotton candy. Blech. It is so syrupy. I have to say that the american hop flavors are incredible, but far far too much. It tastes like they found out how to artificially synthesize american hop flavors and they poured a gallon of these chemicals into each bottle. Well this is certainly a technical achievement, it makes horrible beer. But do have to praise the lacing. Really impressive.

Dreadnaught IPA from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.