Dreadnaught IPA | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001

Reviews: 1,705 | Ratings: 5,916
4.06/5  rDev -7.7%

Clear orange, lasting tan head. Light even bubbles. Fresh rich hops carried by alcohol in the aroma. Big sweet malts balanced by fresh aggressive hop flavors and robust bitterness punctuate this brew. Lively mouth feel. Malty hoppy finish. This is one really well made brew. A bit on the strong side, so be wary.

2.91/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a nice copper color, with a beautiful head, good head retention and good lacing. Smell of hops, and some metallic aroma. Taste is okay, kind of sharp and acidic, hops are there, but not enough for an Imperial or Double IPA. Mouthfeel is appropriate, not great, but not bad. I don't think I'd look for this again, especially not if they are raising the price to $10 a bomber.

4.65/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to BuckeyeNation for this particular bottle, but also to AKSmokedPorter for the duece!

Pours out bright golden amber and sits a lightly hazy amber-orange in the glass with bright ruby sides and a large off-white head. Big thick lacings all around, leaves a good skim on the surface all the way down.

Smells thick and malty, sweet caramel all over the place. Hops bring out the best in oranges and tangerines. Spicy notes of alcohol in the back. Mild fruity esters of pears and canned peaches come out from behind the jungle of aromas.

Tastes lightly sweet up front with good, rich maltiness. Hopping stays constant throughout providing a sharp, nearly citric tang with hints of oranges and grapefruit on the sides. The alcohol can't wait to make it's presence known as it steps over the malty sweetness and works with the hops to create an herbal, spicy concoction that melts over your toungue. Finish is adequately bitter with hints of orange rinds and lingering malty sweetness and the drying effect of alcohol.

Smooth and creamy in the mouth with soft, delicate carbonation in a medium-full body. Simply ripe and lucious in the mouth.

Couldn't ask for much more in terms of a DIPA. Full and malty, good dosage of hops, though I wouldn't mind a bit more. Bottle is slowly enjoyed. Glad I have another waiting for one more encounter before I'm left all alone.

4.67/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours out to a glowing amber color in the glass with a medium-sized head. The aroma starts from the top of the bottle and comes on strong right at the pour all the way to settling, giving forth a pleasant nasal experience that reveals citrus and plums. The taste is absolutely superb, with grapefruit and pine coming to the forefront. It is so well balanced, despite its abundance of hops, that I was taken aback at just how balanced it is. The alcohol in my opinion, is remarkably well hidden. This is a great beer.

4.26/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-Tap in Bethlehem, Pa. Guess where!? Dark red from the tap with not much of a head. The aromas are subdued as well, but I get some nice hop whiffs, and that distinctive Dreadnaught fruit punch aroma as well! Perhaps this keg is a bit off? The taste is a hoppy mix of sweet fruity malts, and mind-bending hops....nice! The mouthfeel seems light and watery for this brew. It almosts seems like a cask brew, but this was off of the tap! The drinkabilityy, of course, is awesome, as this is a FFF brew! Hmmmm, this was an interesting pint! Maybe the keg was a bit old? Who knows, this shit is still awesome!

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%

My first Dreadnaught. I'm really excited for this beer. The beer pours a dark hazy orange color. The head is two fingers that sticks around as well. The nose is full of earthy hops, with some grapefruit in the background. There is also some nice caramel in there as well. The flavor is The hop is really nice in this one. Its not dominated by one hop flavor in my taste. The bitter from the hop is rather strong, and the malts have a touch of bready background. The finish has a really strong apricot flavor onthe finish. The alcohol is also rather apparent as well. The feel is thick and nice. Drinkability suffers just a bit from being so strong in flavor and the apparent alcohol. This is a good beer, but I might need a few more to make a real decision on it.

Re-reviewing: The nose is just full of beautiful grapefruit hops, super sweet, and DIVINE. The flavor is so nice, with tons of sweetness from the hop and big caramel malt. Wow. This is what I was missing from the aged version I had. Drinkability also jumps on this one. I definately recommend this beer fresh. So good. So DAMN good.

Bottle Conditioned. This is the last beer of a massive evening with Spiesy. We warmed up with some lesser beers before finishing with the two big beers of the night, this and Hop Rod Rye Ale. Sadly not impressed with either. Appearance of this is a slightly cloudy lightish amber with a very slight foam on top, slightly below average. The aroma is of an American Pale Ale - the sticky malt and the orange and grapefruit hinted hops rise in a pleasant, though not astounding manner. Nothing impressive so far. Mouthfeel is tingly and medium bodied - not quite as stickly as expected, though it has a tackiness that clings slightly to the mouth. Acceptable. The alcohol is well used to bring flavour and warmth. Flavour is orange flowers with a smearing of honey. There is a wow! intensity about this, and that seems the biggest asset. Impact. The flavours don't move much from front to finish, though it does linger pleasantly, shifting as it fades in the mouth - but here I am struggling to find good things about this, the 5th best beer in the world. It's nice. It's big. It has impact. It lingers nicely in the mouth. It's really not that great.

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange/carmel color with a small ivory head. It leaves beautiful lacings down the glass.

Smell: HOPS! Flowery and citrusy but the hops are jumping out of this glass. Maybe some lemon zest or orange peel would best describe it but it's definitely of the hop nature.

Taste: This is palate blowing goodness! It tastes like a lemon-orange juice combination with a grapefruit background. Very citrusy and a crisp finish. It definitely has a bitter slant to it but it's not done in a harsh way. I'm not sure I have enough taste buds to figure out all that is going on here. There is some pine notes to it as well. Damn, it's good.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and oily with a crisp finish.

Drinkability: I certainly can't see making a session out of this one! It's so good though. I have to tell myself to "slow down". This isn't for the faint of heart or the new BA. But it certainly is a fantastic beer to marvel. I can understand why it's No. 1 in the Double IPA category. Beautiful stuff.

3.4/5  rDev -22.7%

Dark golden in color. Nice lacing. Strong bitterness that's pretty rough around the edges. Floral / grassy hop flavor. Somewhat lacking in malt balance. All in all pretty decent. I'm aware this is an Imperial Pale Ale, but I would have preferred a better malt / hop balance.

4.27/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I am having this beer to celebrate my 1 year anniversary of being a beeradvocate member.

Dark Orange.

Outlandish, gushing hop aroma of pine, grapefruit, ground up orange peel, orange, lemon and all citrus fruits for that matter combine with biscuity and toffeeish malt that I can simply smell all day.

A gigantic onslaught of hops, along with their bitterness, consume my entire mouth. Raw, villainous, harsh, demonic, unrelenting hops, providing uncut viscious notes of grapefruit, pine, resins and mango. The hops point and laugh at the malt as they pass by my salivary glands. No distinquishable malt flavors but a solid body to say the last and a big, bodacious mouthfeel.

I would like to thank the great Iowa BA, BuckeyeNation for hooking me up with a bomber of this awesome stuff.
Pours a bright carmel color, crystal clear in transparency. Head is fairly big and very creamy, as it lingers as long as as I have been writing the first portion of this review. Smell is of citrusy hops, floral hops, and a sweet toffee smell. Absolutely perfect for the style. Taste is gigantic. Packed wall to wall with a hop bitterness that is on par with the best American double IPA's (Rogue, for one). I served this only slightly colder than room temperature, because I wanted the full brunt of the hops onslaught. Mouthful is also perfct. Smooth and slick, almost motor oil viscosity. Excellent all around, versus the style. Get it, drink it, love it.

3.18/5  rDev -27.7%

This one pours an orange color with a nice head. The aroma was way strong and smelled very strongly of hops - I don't know what kind, but it was way strong. The hops dominate the flavor as well - very strong, but somewhat well balanced. Extremely good for an I2PA.

4.7/5  rDev +6.8%

I was lucky to find this 22 oz. bomber...as I've been so excited to try it.

Pours into my glass a very hazy deep orange with a small head. The pour is thick and creamy. The smell is overwhelming to my nose. A cornucopia of hops along with alcohol notes and some spicy citrusy tones. Unlike anything I've smelled before. The first sip is amazing..a great balance of flavors...this brew demands respect. Hops lead the way with some spicy pine tones. The biterness is there but it's balanced well and not at all overwhelming. The alcohol comes through on the back of the palate...you can tell this is a badass Double IPA. Mouthfeel is unlike any other beer I've tried yet...it has a great full body. After trying this I can't wait to try some other 3 Floyd's brews. The only downside I can see for this brew is that one of them will kick my ass...so the drinkability factor is not very high. Otherwise, this is a great beer that I'm glad I've had the opportunity to try.

3-2-2005: New, fresh batch of Dreadnaught awaits me.... pours bright golden orange with a thick dense head. HUGE citric hop nose...grapefruit, orange, lemon...mixed with spiciness, pine sap resin....it times like this that I wonder why 5.5 isn't an option!!! A hophead's dream come true....big citrusy, piney hops meld with a nice caramel malt background. Alcohol weaves in and out and bitterness is nice and strong...yet not too overpowering. Still one of the best double IPA's...period. A nice full, chewy, slightly syrupy mouthfeel bathes the palate in hops...lovely. Drinkability gets a bit of a bump as this fresh batch is just so hoptastic that I don't want the bottle to ever be empty. Yum yum yum!! Three Floyds has impressed me yet again...now just drop the price a bit please!!

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

22oz bottle purchased at Vienna Whole Foods, Vienna, VA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" light beige head over the orangey copper hued brew. Dense, long-lasting head, laces tremendously. Aroma is citrusy hops, with a sweetly malty undercurrent. Taste is, wow, smooth sweet malts upfront, which segues into biting piney and citrusy hops, and a tinge of alcohol as it all leaves the mouth. Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, excellent for the style and abv. Drinkability is great as well, unfortunately it's not as easily available as it should be around here.

Pours bright orange with a small, bubbly head.

Tons of hop aroma in the nose. It's like a pine bomb went off in the glass. Lots of bitterness and a little sweetness too.

Full bodied with light carbonation, but smooth and creamy. Absolut hop bomb here. Tons of citrusness that becomes quite bitter and just finishes with a dry bitterness. Sweetness is also quite pronounced as well with some malt backbone. This beer is all about the hops though.

Delicious IIPA, I know all 5's should be rare but this is truly an exceptional beer. Alcohol is very well hidden. Truly a masterpiece. Just wish I'd bought more than one.

Appearance: Brassy, hazy golden color with a moderately-sized off-white head; lots of broken lace and moderate carbonation.

Aroma: Great clouds of citrus, grapefruit, and pine tar hops assail the olfactory sense. Amazingly, beneath the totality of hops, there is a subdued, by quite discernable sweet malt backbone.

Taste: Begins with a sweet, light caramel malt flavor, which is rapidly subsumed by a massive wave of citrus and pine tar hop. Although faint, the malt flavors are not entirely vanquished, remaining a subtle presence throughout the taste. The finish is quite interesting, there are lingering metallic hop notes and a distinct light honey-like malt sweetness, which played off well against the intense hops.

Mouth feel: Smooth, creamy and quite full.

Drinkabilty/notes: A superb example of the style, not one of my favorites, being that I am not a hophead. Nonetheless, the craftsmanship exhibited by this beer is remarkable. Thanks to HardTarget for sharing this rare beer.

4.07/5  rDev -7.5%

IPA (including Double IPA) is one of my favorite styles, so I opened after much anticipation. Color was orange-copper, and slightly hazy. Aroma was potent, there was no questioning there are plenty of hops in this one. Mouthfeel was chewy and a bit sticky/resiny.

An excellent beer, but really had more of a barley wine like attitude... the maltiness was a bit too big and the hops while strong didn't quite keep balance with the level of malt. After knowing Alpha King so well I was really I was expecting more from it's big brother.

4.22/5  rDev -4.1%

22oz Bomber bottle...thanks Ed you are a King among men as a trade partner. Decanted into my tulip glass as a deep amber orange liquid with a frothy sticky 2 finger off white cap. Great aroma: musty grapefruit, hint of pine... some malt sweetness...a hop heads dream. Starts big with ample citrus-spruce hops up front and a huge malt body to balance it off... then some salty- soapy tastes where the alcohol tastes mingle with the hops on a creamy delivery... then the finish is long with citrus pine bittering going to more metallic tastes...what a great big APA! I love it...Ed...send more!!!

4.92/5  rDev +11.8%

Bomber Size bottle - The perfect serving size !

Color was very slightly hazy golden yellow copper color.
It pours with a creamy white head and distinctive crisp hop aroma.
The head dissapates to a thin lace after a few minutes.

The first flavor is sweet malt and hops, and the hops linger on the
back of the tongue for a long time.

This IS the big brother to Alpha King, and is my benchmark for I2PA's.
Heaven in a bottle !

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%

This is packaged in a 22oz bomber on which the label has fell off, brought to me by a friend traveling through Indiana. It has the Three Floyd’s cap on it but that is the only identifier besides the employee’s at Kahn’s swearing that it is Dreadnaught.

My friend said I would know if it was the right beer if I poured it out and it was “neon orange”…haha, I can see where he gets that from. It pours out with a body that is a definitely a bright orange shade of copper. A big head rolls up, and hangs around stickily… rather well for a beer with this ABV. Tiny streams of bubbles roll up through the body and I can see pieces of what appears to be hop matter floating within.

The nose is vivid and thick. I can practically smell the stickiness of the sweet malts. Big, big oily pine presence in the nose as well as citrus rinds, and grapefruit. As soon as I popped the cap and took a whiff I knew I definitely had the right beer.

The flavor here is a very intense experience. The front is sticky and sweet with mega-malts. The middle is taken over with a flat, vibrating bitterness, this transitions into hints of pine-apple, oily pine flavors, hints of apricot, and big citrus rinds and grapefruit flavors. This beer comes close to what I think it would be like to suck on a syrup dipped hop cone, and literally be prepared to pick little pieces of hop matter off your tongue and teeth. Don’t taste the alcohol as much as feel it trail warmly into my belly, Mouthfeel is a little sticky, or oily but that just makes the delicious flavor hang around that much longer.

A simply outstanding Double IPA, well crafted and a really intense experience. Again, if only Three Floyd’s would distribute here I would revisit this one often. I owe the pleasure of experiencing this one to John, thanks man!

4.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Despite a relatively light color for what I had expected, this beer has a lot of depth to the appearnce. The color is deep and rich and the head, while not so much big, is thick and foamy. The smell is hoppy and spicy with some chocolate flavors. The taste is very spicy with a thich hoppy taste, with tons of syrupy pine and some good citrius. The mouthfeel is perfect for the beer, and although the beer is hefty with alcohol, you wouldn't necesserily stop while drinking the beer to notice.

4.17/5  rDev -5.2%

22 oz brown bomber with the funky label design and one of the coolest bottle caps I have seen in a long time.

Beer pours a nice dark copper with a massive white, fluffy head. Really nice lacing patterns.

Very strong smelling beer. Lots of citrus/pine aroma. I also get a hard candy type of smell from this beer. Yummy! Background note: I sometimes drive by the Ferra Pan candy factory (home of the atomic fireball!) on my way to & from Chicago. When the factory is producing candy, the aroma is similar to the background aromas I get from this beer.

Taste is ever so bracing. Lots of pine (think pine sap) and grapefruit. Swirling underneath the obvious hop characteristics is some subtle apple/plum flavor and again, that trace of hard candy. This one also has a slightly sour aspect as you work through the beer. I’m guessing that this beer is heavy on the malts, something is in there to keep this baby close to in-balance. Given the obvious heavy hopping, the brewer has made a well balanced beer.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly creamy. I’m not sure why, but I expected a harder edge. Drinkability is good, but for me at least, one per night of this wonderful beer would be enough. Here is a beer that lives up to its well deserved hype & pimping!

4.63/5  rDev +5.2%

Aroma: Pinesap & Grapefruit infused into a solid malt base. Nice juicy fresh hops busting out of this puppy.
Appearance: A rosy orange body with nice clarity. A white multi-sized bubbled cap gives a classic appearance for the style.
Flavor: Alpha acids personified. A major hop presence, but crisp and refreshing. Refreshing is too mild; exhilarating, motivating, empowering! After sipping this beer, I feared naught. Strong citric acid taste but not a grapefruit taste, more of an orange like citric. With all that acid going on, there was no burn. The flavors jumped but were based on a rock solid malt backbone. Not a hint of alcohol.
Mouthfeel: While the burn wasn’t tasted, it was slightly felt (if that makes sense/and I don’t really care if it doesn’t). Overall a wonderful smooth feel with a medium body.
Overall Impression: Solid craftsmanship allowed me to enjoy the intensely juicy hops without the rough bitter edge. This beer would keep you from getting scurvy, and I found it to be an outstanding double IPA. I could drink this beer all summer, and into fall and not grow tired of it.
Mad props to mattcrill (aka Stoutness) for the opportunity to sample this world class beer. I owe you buddy!

4.08/5  rDev -7.3%

First off: Big thanks to deejaydan for the chance to sample this.

Pours a cloudy, light orange-amber with a modest 1/4 inch white head.

Nose is mild but very interesting: musky apple, sawgrass, apricot, and pine.

First hit on the palate is filled with an almost delicate bitterness, the musky apple and piney characters from the nose hiding in the background. Midsip balances out very well. The alcohol is evident in the warming aftertaste here.

Mouthfeel is creamy and the carbonation is rather mild overall.

Drinkability is solid, with the only detraction being the evident alcohol feel.

Overall, this oh-so-slightly edges out Smuttynose's Imp IPA as my favorite to date.

4.33/5  rDev -1.6%

Sampled from a bomber.

This Double IPA poured a hazy, peach-orange color with good, off-white foam that persisted and clung to the glass, leaving some lace and clumps. The smell was fruity hops with a good shot of malt and a touch of oak. The taste was hoppy with some fruitiness and a good malt balance and a hint of oak. The hop bitterness came through in the finish. The mouthfeel was smooth and crisp and dry with medium-full body and moderate carbonation. The finish was very dry and hoppy. This was a very nice double IPA, though I think it is somewhat more fragrant and flavorful on tap. I would rate the drinkability higher, but at 9.5% ABV, it is dangerous to drink too many of these.

Thanks to qarre for this bottle.

Dreadnaught IPA from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.