Dreadnaught IPA | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001

4.4

Reviews: 1,716 | Ratings: 5,972

Flowing from the 22oz bomber, this hazy ale fills my snifter with a very attractive deep orange. About a finger of head rises to top off this beautiful brew. Oh yeah, this is what an IPA should smell like! Lots of citrous aromas dominate the nose. Very clean piney hops add to this powerful aromatic experience. The smell is completed by a little caramel and malt. The taste is wonderful. Hops are quick to attack the palate with sharp citrous and pine notes. The hops are wonderfully potent, but amazingly not overpowering. Sweet caramel and malt flavors form a solid backbone for the taste. There are some spices present that dance with the hops and tantalize the tongue. This is IPA on a Biblical level! Mouthfeel is big, creamy, and smooth - at the same time staying sharp from the hops. Residual hop oils coat your mouth and provide a bitter dry finish, although some of the malt and spice also stick around. Alcohol, although slightly warming, is well hidden in the taste. Wonderfully drinkable, I want to drink Dreadnaught until the day I die. I was a little skeptical about paying $9 for a bomber, but I wish I would have bought everything the store had!

Damn, this is the standard by which all IPAs will be forever judged. I cannot say a single bad thing about this beer. I have always been leary about handing out 5's for a beer, but this brew has honestly earned it. If you can find a bottle, pick it up, you won't be disappointed.

4.12/5  rDev -6.4%

22 oz bomber.
Pours a very clear almost sunset orange. Fluffy white head, with great retention and lacing.
Smell is overwhelming really (in a good way). Hops by the bale. Earthy, cirtusy, piney...however else you want to describe it, this things got some hops in it! Sweet malt and caramel are also present. Also a bit of buttery diacetyl.
Taste is also very heavily laden with hops, but very nicely balanced with a sweet malt and caramel backbone. Nevertheless, this is a hop bomb if there ever was one. Alcohol is present, but is well hidden by all of the other flavors.
One thing that I wasn't too thrilled with in this beer is the buttery aftertaste. I'm not really fond of diacetyl in my IPAs, but that's just one man's humble opinion.
Overall, a fine example.

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I started out wondering why I was paying $11 for a 22 oz beer, and ended up wishing I'd bought a second one. Pours nicely out of the gate, a little more than light amber in color, thick, and with a nice creamy head. Smell was great...grapefruit citrus aroma characteristic of Alpha King, but both richer and smoother. Satisfyingly thick mouthfeel that begs you to savor the brew before swallowing. Those who can hold off on that are rewarded by huge citrus, with maybe a hint of pine. With the finish, the hops kick in, but in a completely accessible way...not sweet and bitter but not, if that makes any sense.

Highly recommended. Even those who are just making their way into the realm of highly hopped ales will appreciate this one.

4.82/5  rDev +9.5%

Crystal clear, light amber with a minimal but creamy looking head, that rebuilt itself with each sip, leaving a bit of lace behind. Slow and steady streams of bubbles were visually evident. From the second I opened the bottle, I was blasted by massive aromas of grapefruit and orange blossom honey. Sticking my nose into my imperial pint glass revealed big-time apricot and pine sap. I couldn't wait to try it and then, goddamn, I said goddamn! Hugely spicy and super sweet all at once. The bittering dries the mouth and builds gradually and lasts until who knows when; I couldn't wait long enough to find out–this stuff is top notch. Another gulp. Sweet, honey-laced grapefruit pith. A pine tree that offers grapefruit instead of pine cones. A perfect balance of malt and hops, that although powerful, neither is too aggressive. There's always something that balances the other out. The mouth was unbelievable. Fine carbonation coupled with a medium-thick, slick body contribute to an amazingly delicate feeling on the tongue; it's as if someone draped a piece of silk across my tongue. The mouthfeel and taste combo easily garners a perfect score. I always question the price of 3F beers in my area but this one was well worth it. Glad I bought two.

4.68/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to the very generous onecrazymofo for this one...one of many.
Pours a fantastic orange...real cloudy, the way I expect my IIPA's to look. Two full fingers of creamy tan head...lacing is perfect...tons of clingy webs...head is going nowhere.
Aroma is beautiful...piney citrus eminating from the glass. A touch of cotton candy and tropical fruit as well.
The taste is a semi-sweet explosion of hops and malt..can't say it is one-sided at all, although the bitterness that sucks away any moisture in my mouth makes me think the hops will win the battle.
It is as if they squeezed in a Florida orange in each bottle.
The carbonation is perfect for its style and it is quite refreshing. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel...bittersweet aftertaste that makes you crave for more.
One of the most highly drinkable 9+% ABV brews I have ever had...up there w/ Victory's Storm King.
All the hype this brew receives and I must agree w/ the masses...the best IIPA out there.

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours out a radiant deep orange with a thick rocky head of light yellow foam. Monster lacing in my tulip. I'm just going to go ahead and call this the most beautiful beer I've ever seen.
Smell is citrus hops, but it's so thick and juicy, there's grapefruit, some pine, and a good helping of sweet malt in there as well. It's a huge smell, but it's a nice one.
Flavor is sublime. Obviously there's a huge hop presence, but the malt backbone is assertive as well. There's quite a bit of citric fruitiness with a nice sweetness, too. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, especially for the high ABV. Lot of pine in the flavor as well.

This is truly a great one, even if it's a bit expensive. It's too huge to drink every night, but on special occasions I can't imagine a better brew.

4.87/5  rDev +10.7%

Pres: 650 cc bottle with insane looking British officer and an assassin lurking in the background

Appearance: Copper, like the color of fermentation tanks. 1-2 fingers thick, sticky head. Clings to the glass. Very clear, no haze at all with a careful pour.

Smell: Man alive, I feel like I just opened a bag of fresh hops and dove in for a whiff. I half expect to see little yellow lupulin sacks floating in it. Piney, sharp cheddar. Beautiful.

Taste: Fantastic. Fresh hop, long, lingering bitter aftertaste, but not that "overhopped", out of balance flavor that a lot of these double IPA's are afflicted with. The best word for the overall taste is harmony between hop character and malt sweetness. I don't get a hint of alcohol, which is scarey.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth, too easy for the alleged 9.5%

Drikability: Again, too easy. This just goes down and feels good.

Notes: This is fast becoming my favorite style and this may have leap-frogged Victory Hop Wallop as my number 1, though the price is somewhat prohibitive. ($79 for 12 x 650cc bottles).

4.32/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearence: In my Goblet it's a glowing orange with a thin, creamy beige head.

Smell: The smell is of glorious hops. The alcohol is hidden very well, and the hops are full and fragrant.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The flavor is full of hops. Floral, citrus and other notes come to mind as the hops bitterness leaves a lingering dry aftertaste. The alcohol is diguised well, and doesn't interfere with the hop-play. The mouthfeel is creamy.

Drinkability and Overall: The DIPA is not my favorite style, but this is pretty killer. The hops are just right, and don't mix badly with the alcohol. Three Floyd's continues to impress me. Can't wait to try some more.

4.72/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours out a somewhat thick and viscous pale amber color, with a modest off white head. Wow, the aroma on this one is huge. CITRUS!!! wow, grapefruits, lemons, limes, oranges, pine mint, damn near every hop aroma you can imagine. Just wonderful on the nose. Wow, this is not as bitter as I imagined. There is a very nice caramel malt backbone to this one. The sweetness is balanced by the magnificant hop flavor. Super citrus taste, but not in the puckering grapefruit manner. More of a citrus spectrum. Moutfeel is creamy, and highly drinkable for the octane on this one. I would love to drink this one more, but at the $9.99 price tag my wallet would be very mad at me. Please lower the price on this one to something more reasonable and I wont drink anything else

4.27/5  rDev -3%

Appearance: Into a tulip, this beer is an orange-golden with a sticky and well retained head of yellow stained lace.

Smell: The smell is of really oily hops, especially grapefruit and other tropical fruit.

Taste: This is good (but really not exceptional). I taste a really pungent boquet of hops that run the gammut from bitter pine to sugary sweet orange to tart grapefruit to tangy mango. Very tropical, and very slick. Bitterness is high, but not offensive. This beer is something unexpectedly cohesive. The malts stick in there to give balance to the hop extravaganza, and the end result is a flavorful hophead's dream. I like this more and more as I drink it.

Mouthfeel: It's partly the fault of the resinous hops, and partly that of the large malt bill used to up this into imperial alcohol range, but this starts to cloy. It's to be expected, but not quite endearing. Bitter hops burn themselves on the tongue, love it or hate it.

Drinkability: Overall I liked it, and I had no problems polishing off the bomber. For the price however, there are better double and Imperial IPAs, and the genre is growing by the day. Stoudt's makes an eerily similar double IPA for 1/5 th the price. Not quite worth the hype, this is still a nice beer.

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Served in an imperial pint glass

Appearance: deep golden amber color that is perfectly clear with lots of tiny bubbles and a thick amber hued foam. Head last for days and is very dense. Nice lacing on the glass after each sip.

Smell: The strong smell of fresh green hops hits my nose during the pour. Very bright hops not really grassy not really citrus.

Taste: crystal malt is present a strong base then a blast of hops with a citrus presents at the end. A slight bit of warmth follows the hops, but when I exhale it is all hops on my breath.

Mouthfeel- smooth beer with just a hint of hop astringency. The alcohol warmth is just right in this beer.

Drinkability: The hops are fresh and delicious. It has enough malt base to give the hops a leg to stand on but its not overly malty. Which is what I like to see in this style.

4.06/5  rDev -7.7%

Clear orange, lasting tan head. Light even bubbles. Fresh rich hops carried by alcohol in the aroma. Big sweet malts balanced by fresh aggressive hop flavors and robust bitterness punctuate this brew. Lively mouth feel. Malty hoppy finish. This is one really well made brew. A bit on the strong side, so be wary.

2.91/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a nice copper color, with a beautiful head, good head retention and good lacing. Smell of hops, and some metallic aroma. Taste is okay, kind of sharp and acidic, hops are there, but not enough for an Imperial or Double IPA. Mouthfeel is appropriate, not great, but not bad. I don't think I'd look for this again, especially not if they are raising the price to $10 a bomber.

4.65/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to BuckeyeNation for this particular bottle, but also to AKSmokedPorter for the duece!

Pours out bright golden amber and sits a lightly hazy amber-orange in the glass with bright ruby sides and a large off-white head. Big thick lacings all around, leaves a good skim on the surface all the way down.

Smells thick and malty, sweet caramel all over the place. Hops bring out the best in oranges and tangerines. Spicy notes of alcohol in the back. Mild fruity esters of pears and canned peaches come out from behind the jungle of aromas.

Tastes lightly sweet up front with good, rich maltiness. Hopping stays constant throughout providing a sharp, nearly citric tang with hints of oranges and grapefruit on the sides. The alcohol can't wait to make it's presence known as it steps over the malty sweetness and works with the hops to create an herbal, spicy concoction that melts over your toungue. Finish is adequately bitter with hints of orange rinds and lingering malty sweetness and the drying effect of alcohol.

Smooth and creamy in the mouth with soft, delicate carbonation in a medium-full body. Simply ripe and lucious in the mouth.

Couldn't ask for much more in terms of a DIPA. Full and malty, good dosage of hops, though I wouldn't mind a bit more. Bottle is slowly enjoyed. Glad I have another waiting for one more encounter before I'm left all alone.

4.67/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours out to a glowing amber color in the glass with a medium-sized head. The aroma starts from the top of the bottle and comes on strong right at the pour all the way to settling, giving forth a pleasant nasal experience that reveals citrus and plums. The taste is absolutely superb, with grapefruit and pine coming to the forefront. It is so well balanced, despite its abundance of hops, that I was taken aback at just how balanced it is. The alcohol in my opinion, is remarkably well hidden. This is a great beer.

4.26/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-Tap in Bethlehem, Pa. Guess where!? Dark red from the tap with not much of a head. The aromas are subdued as well, but I get some nice hop whiffs, and that distinctive Dreadnaught fruit punch aroma as well! Perhaps this keg is a bit off? The taste is a hoppy mix of sweet fruity malts, and mind-bending hops....nice! The mouthfeel seems light and watery for this brew. It almosts seems like a cask brew, but this was off of the tap! The drinkabilityy, of course, is awesome, as this is a FFF brew! Hmmmm, this was an interesting pint! Maybe the keg was a bit old? Who knows, this shit is still awesome!

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%

My first Dreadnaught. I'm really excited for this beer. The beer pours a dark hazy orange color. The head is two fingers that sticks around as well. The nose is full of earthy hops, with some grapefruit in the background. There is also some nice caramel in there as well. The flavor is The hop is really nice in this one. Its not dominated by one hop flavor in my taste. The bitter from the hop is rather strong, and the malts have a touch of bready background. The finish has a really strong apricot flavor onthe finish. The alcohol is also rather apparent as well. The feel is thick and nice. Drinkability suffers just a bit from being so strong in flavor and the apparent alcohol. This is a good beer, but I might need a few more to make a real decision on it.

Re-reviewing: The nose is just full of beautiful grapefruit hops, super sweet, and DIVINE. The flavor is so nice, with tons of sweetness from the hop and big caramel malt. Wow. This is what I was missing from the aged version I had. Drinkability also jumps on this one. I definately recommend this beer fresh. So good. So DAMN good.

Bottle Conditioned. This is the last beer of a massive evening with Spiesy. We warmed up with some lesser beers before finishing with the two big beers of the night, this and Hop Rod Rye Ale. Sadly not impressed with either. Appearance of this is a slightly cloudy lightish amber with a very slight foam on top, slightly below average. The aroma is of an American Pale Ale - the sticky malt and the orange and grapefruit hinted hops rise in a pleasant, though not astounding manner. Nothing impressive so far. Mouthfeel is tingly and medium bodied - not quite as stickly as expected, though it has a tackiness that clings slightly to the mouth. Acceptable. The alcohol is well used to bring flavour and warmth. Flavour is orange flowers with a smearing of honey. There is a wow! intensity about this, and that seems the biggest asset. Impact. The flavours don't move much from front to finish, though it does linger pleasantly, shifting as it fades in the mouth - but here I am struggling to find good things about this, the 5th best beer in the world. It's nice. It's big. It has impact. It lingers nicely in the mouth. It's really not that great.

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange/carmel color with a small ivory head. It leaves beautiful lacings down the glass.

Smell: HOPS! Flowery and citrusy but the hops are jumping out of this glass. Maybe some lemon zest or orange peel would best describe it but it's definitely of the hop nature.

Taste: This is palate blowing goodness! It tastes like a lemon-orange juice combination with a grapefruit background. Very citrusy and a crisp finish. It definitely has a bitter slant to it but it's not done in a harsh way. I'm not sure I have enough taste buds to figure out all that is going on here. There is some pine notes to it as well. Damn, it's good.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and oily with a crisp finish.

Drinkability: I certainly can't see making a session out of this one! It's so good though. I have to tell myself to "slow down". This isn't for the faint of heart or the new BA. But it certainly is a fantastic beer to marvel. I can understand why it's No. 1 in the Double IPA category. Beautiful stuff.

3.4/5  rDev -22.7%

Dark golden in color. Nice lacing. Strong bitterness that's pretty rough around the edges. Floral / grassy hop flavor. Somewhat lacking in malt balance. All in all pretty decent. I'm aware this is an Imperial Pale Ale, but I would have preferred a better malt / hop balance.

4.27/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I am having this beer to celebrate my 1 year anniversary of being a beeradvocate member.

Dark Orange.

Outlandish, gushing hop aroma of pine, grapefruit, ground up orange peel, orange, lemon and all citrus fruits for that matter combine with biscuity and toffeeish malt that I can simply smell all day.

A gigantic onslaught of hops, along with their bitterness, consume my entire mouth. Raw, villainous, harsh, demonic, unrelenting hops, providing uncut viscious notes of grapefruit, pine, resins and mango. The hops point and laugh at the malt as they pass by my salivary glands. No distinquishable malt flavors but a solid body to say the last and a big, bodacious mouthfeel.

Yummy.

I would like to thank the great Iowa BA, BuckeyeNation for hooking me up with a bomber of this awesome stuff.
Pours a bright carmel color, crystal clear in transparency. Head is fairly big and very creamy, as it lingers as long as as I have been writing the first portion of this review. Smell is of citrusy hops, floral hops, and a sweet toffee smell. Absolutely perfect for the style. Taste is gigantic. Packed wall to wall with a hop bitterness that is on par with the best American double IPA's (Rogue, for one). I served this only slightly colder than room temperature, because I wanted the full brunt of the hops onslaught. Mouthful is also perfct. Smooth and slick, almost motor oil viscosity. Excellent all around, versus the style. Get it, drink it, love it.

3.18/5  rDev -27.7%

This one pours an orange color with a nice head. The aroma was way strong and smelled very strongly of hops - I don't know what kind, but it was way strong. The hops dominate the flavor as well - very strong, but somewhat well balanced. Extremely good for an I2PA.

4.7/5  rDev +6.8%

I was lucky to find this 22 oz. bomber...as I've been so excited to try it.

Pours into my glass a very hazy deep orange with a small head. The pour is thick and creamy. The smell is overwhelming to my nose. A cornucopia of hops along with alcohol notes and some spicy citrusy tones. Unlike anything I've smelled before. The first sip is amazing..a great balance of flavors...this brew demands respect. Hops lead the way with some spicy pine tones. The biterness is there but it's balanced well and not at all overwhelming. The alcohol comes through on the back of the palate...you can tell this is a badass Double IPA. Mouthfeel is unlike any other beer I've tried yet...it has a great full body. After trying this I can't wait to try some other 3 Floyd's brews. The only downside I can see for this brew is that one of them will kick my ass...so the drinkability factor is not very high. Otherwise, this is a great beer that I'm glad I've had the opportunity to try.

3-2-2005: New, fresh batch of Dreadnaught awaits me.... pours bright golden orange with a thick dense head. HUGE citric hop nose...grapefruit, orange, lemon...mixed with spiciness, pine sap resin....it times like this that I wonder why 5.5 isn't an option!!! A hophead's dream come true....big citrusy, piney hops meld with a nice caramel malt background. Alcohol weaves in and out and bitterness is nice and strong...yet not too overpowering. Still one of the best double IPA's...period. A nice full, chewy, slightly syrupy mouthfeel bathes the palate in hops...lovely. Drinkability gets a bit of a bump as this fresh batch is just so hoptastic that I don't want the bottle to ever be empty. Yum yum yum!! Three Floyds has impressed me yet again...now just drop the price a bit please!!

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

22oz bottle purchased at Vienna Whole Foods, Vienna, VA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" light beige head over the orangey copper hued brew. Dense, long-lasting head, laces tremendously. Aroma is citrusy hops, with a sweetly malty undercurrent. Taste is, wow, smooth sweet malts upfront, which segues into biting piney and citrusy hops, and a tinge of alcohol as it all leaves the mouth. Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, excellent for the style and abv. Drinkability is great as well, unfortunately it's not as easily available as it should be around here.

Dreadnaught IPA from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.