Dreadnaught IPA | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001

4.4

Reviews: 1,705 | Ratings: 5,910
4.57/5  rDev +3.9%

This beer deserves all of the praise it has gotten. Pours a bright and clear orange-amber color with a medium thin and frothy off-white head. Thin and quick lacing. Heady aroma of flowery hops (duh) along with some citrus. Rich and smooth with a great hops kick that never becomes overpowering. There is enough of an undercurrent of malt to make this easily drinkable despite the abundance of hops, and that is exactly the right idea. The finish is crisp and has long, lingering hops with some spice. They don't get much better than this.

4.72/5  rDev +7.3%

Rich bronze color...hazy clarity..tan bubbly head...sweet hoppiness on the nose...mango, pineaplle, tropical fruitiness on the nose...

The taste has some great bitter hop flavors...finishes bitter...sweet malt is a secondary characteristic but evident..excellent firm body..relatively charged up..

This is a big time Imperial IPA...the nose is fantastic...surprisingly the taste dos not mimick the nose as much....from the nose I expected a sweeter flavor...instead this is very pleseantly bitter..sure there is a nice malt backbone that provides some sticky underlying sweetness, but all that does is provide a fantastic complement to this bigass hop load...a piney hop bitterness..definitely more of a sipper but this does not cross into barley wine territory like some do....An excellent Double IPA I'd love to try again...

4.01/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Nicely put together IPA in the over-hopped American style. Big malt base overshadowed by citrus hops that go over the top, but pleasantly.

The hazy amber body is topped by a nice head of off-white foam that retains a bit and laces quite lazily. The taste is citrus hops top to bottom - not at all subtle. The malt barely intrudes upon the dance here and is nearly not a factor.

The nose is very light and virtually not a factor; surprisingly for a beer of this hop level, although caramel does rise as the brew warms. Good mouthfeel from the medium body. Limited drinkability because of the ABV and overhopping.

3.48/5  rDev -20.9%

Typical look: reddish amber liquid with perfunctory mousse.
It smells like Pine Sol and nail polish remover. Sticky pine resins boiling over a pitch fire complemented by a meal of resin-dipped grapefruit peel. All of this hemp-sugar is caramelized mind you. It's not fresh pine and citrus so much as baked, candied oils that greet the nose.
Big, explosive flavors of polished herb, pine lumber and citrus seed decorate a voluptuous base of smoky toffee syrup.

I suppose this represents some high-level of acheivement for hop head-bangers, but really... is there nothing to be said for integration and subtlety? If this beer were a person it would be that super loud, bragging, insecure type that you can't wait to get rid of.

This is chatter, not Beer.

4.65/5  rDev +5.7%

Woah! Huge beer. Nice. This beer reeks of hops, in a very good way. Smells like big ‘ole football sized hop cones scented like flowers, nondescript citrus fruit, and evergreens. Malt comes across as juicy, a little estery, and creamy milk chocolate. Each sip is an obscene mouthful of floral, resiny, juicy hops that reminds me of strawberries. Once the mouth becomes acclimated to the onslaught, the soft pale malt with caramel notes comes through, but before that it’s nonstop celery-tasting bitterness.

It could have used a bit more malt body, but in any case this was a real gem.

3.9/5  rDev -11.4%

Beer number 700 on my personal list, so I picked something special. No question, this beer goes for the big hops brass ring. Aroma is a massive smack in the face of hops. This beer is all about the hops, everything else is secondary. Seemed longer on bittering than aromatic hops, even though I let the beer warm a bit for maximum effect. Some rubbing alcohol notes were disconcerting, but these might mellow out if the beer aged a bit.

A mighty effort in the IPA class. I have to say, I prefer some other brewers' efforts (Stone Ruination, Rogue I2PA, Dogfish Head), but for the hophead, this is quite a fix.

4.82/5  rDev +9.5%

Sampled from a 22oz bottle. Tons of information, including directions to the brewery, but I couldn't find a date and considering it is bottle conditioned, I would think that info would be very useful.

Appearance: Deep copper color with a big, frothy head that left ribbons of lacing circling the glass. They are very hard to see because copper color is so deep, but there are tiny streams of bubbles rising in the center of the glass.

Smell: One word, heaven. Aromas of lavender, honey, floral hops, malt, wild flowers, clove, and so much more I couldn't identify. Simply intoxicating.

Taste: Surprisingly malty with fantastically smooth hops. Sweet candied malt and bitter hops. My wife, who does not like hoppy beer said it was great, but still a little to hoppy for her. I found it simply wonderful. The most incredible balance of malt and hops I've ever had. Fantastic.

Mouthfeel: A little to sticky, that was the only flaw I could find.

Drinkability: Um...10, 20 wait it only goes to 5, so 5+. If you haven't had it, what are you waiting for. Drive, trade, threaten what ever you have to do to get this beer, do it!

4.42/5  rDev +0.5%

Made the mistake of reading a bunch of reviews before drinking this one down, so it had a lot of hype to live up to right out of the bottle. Needless to say, it met my heightened expectations.

Great color, a nice hue of bronze-orange. Little head, poured into a nice chalice from a local brew-bup. (Don't have any Three-Floyds glassware!). Smell promises something unusual - no overpowering notes of alcohol, just a radient bouquet of sweet, sweeet hops.

Taste - very complex. It took several sips to even begin to appreciate the full body of this brew. Full of presence. Several distinct hop-flavors hit you all at once, then slowly blend into a single intoxicating note. Very easy to drink this one down; I could finish off several of these in an evening, if it wasn't so precious and rare a commodity.

A worthy beer to keep stored away for a special occasion!

4.77/5  rDev +8.4%

A sweet and yet bitter slap upside yo' head. Slightly metallic tang. More, I could not say besides to echo what I had written about the draft version because, you see, I was at Nick Floyd's unveiling of his Alpha Klaus at the Map Room, and some other guy, a friend of one of the brewers, insisted we should also try the Dreadnaught. So he bought my buddy and me each a bomber bottle out of the blue. And even though we had been sampling Belgians before, this was the brew that actually got us S***-faced.

4.52/5  rDev +2.7%

Turbid light bronze hue. Stiff, dense, persistent one fingered head leaves frothy lace. The aroma is dominated by a vibrant, fruit driven melange of ripe melon, sweet clementine, lemon zest and juicy, slightly acidic pineapple notes. Mild ethanol heat, yeast derived bready tones and simple caramel malt surfaces as the volatile hop oils dissipate. Bright, well rounded and appetizing aromawise. Orange flesh sweetness incipient in flavor is quickly complemented by a combination of bittersweet lemon marmalade and sharp, sappy notes of crushed pine needle. Fruit character is dynamic, beginning with a citric acidity then becoming akin to ripe peach mid palate, before stabilizing as a static, sugary honeydew presence. Malt character is underwhelming, but subtle biscuit tones and light toffee provide ample foundation for the assertive hop profile. Moderate in body, with a firmly dextrinous, slightly syrupy mouthfeel. Finishes with a light, but transient surge of residual sweetness, which lends a lingering impression of hopped orange candy. Ethanol warmth surfaces slowly from the esophagus, reminding the palate that this isn't your everyday IPA. Dreadnaught is a rich, superlatively hopped brew. Assertive hop bitterness and vibrant hop flavor ride parallel, and neither becomes obtrusive. With a more pronounced and distinct malt profile this would be untouchable. Superb overall, and unparalled in drinkability.

4.89/5  rDev +11.1%

22 oz. bomber served at cellar temp in a Brewer's Art chalice (had to baptize it with something worthy).

Appearance: Hazy ruddy orange topped by a smallish offwhite head that quickly recedes to an omnipresent film and a ring. Wee splotches of foam are left on the glass. I was expecting a bit more lacing but given the ABV, I shouldn't be surprised at the lack. It might be the glass. I'll try one of my other bottles (the sacrifices I make) on a different glass and see if there's any difference.

Smell: Intense hop aromas.. duh. Grapefruity citrus, orange sweetness, sprucy pine, earthy peppers comprise a wunnerful display of the ambrosial joys that hops impart. I just might be slowly converting to hophead status, but the maltmonster in me was overjoyed to catch some nutty toffee aromas underneath all this wacky crazy hoppiness. By no means is this unrefined, it's just plain heavenly.

Smell: I wanted to go on more about this, but I can't say anymore, so, I move on to:

Taste: Before I describe the taste, let me just say: Hop burps aplenty. I've seen this phrase used in other reviews before, and have experienced it here and there, but I feel I must truly make note of it with this beer. Now, onto the taste. Initially very sweet and brashly hoppy like an unripe barleywine. Then you really taste the hops. First, your palate is assualted, juggernaut-style, by peppery hops. The decimated corpse is then stomped on by some bitter Cascade flavors. Citric fruits then have their way with you and earthy herbal flavors grow on your grave. When warmed, all these flavors come at you at once.

Mouthfeel: Thick and chewy with an everlasting aftertaste. Humulus aeterna, if you will.

Drinkability: An incredibly fine IIPA. Much better than Rogue's interpretation of this burgeoning style. Rogue relied a bit too much on one hop variety, I should think. Very close to an Americanized barleywine at times, this is some stellar beer. I can't wait to try Dark Lord and others from this fine brewery.

4.64/5  rDev +5.5%

Well, here I go with the Dreadnaught. I've not read any reviews yet, so this'll be fairly impartial. I first cracked it open and a whiff of hops hit me from an arm's length. Wow. Very aromatic hops in this one, I like that. Pour is cloudy orange-brown, not much head (but I don't care!). This beer smells fantastic. First taste: damn. That's some good stuff. Good heavy malt characteristic, which I think most IPA's don't have. Hops are dominant though, and it's a nice blend - whatever blend that may be, I'm not that good yet.

This is a wonderful brew. If you can, you should go out and get 3 bottles today. Drink one now, save the rest for this nasty winter that's heading our way.

For those of you who are interested: a dreadnought is a heavily armed battleship whose main guns are all of the same caliber. Seems appropriate as a 22 ouncer of this is starting to knock me out of the water (hence the low drinkability grade.)

Or Dread Naught - "Fear Nothing"

4.35/5  rDev -1.1%

Giant light tan head that leaves a solid coat of lace. Hazy amber colored beer with a moderate amount of bubbles floating to the surface. It has a sweet citrus aroma that is nice and strong. Mildly sweet flavor kind of like a cross between citrusy hops and butterscotch. The aftertaste is barely bitter and the body is solid without being too thick. The only hint of alcohol is the warm feeling it leaves in your stomach. I really like this IIPA, but Wailing Wench shares many characteristics and is way cheaper.

3.6/5  rDev -18.2%

Holy Moses! Intense! Thanks to trbeer for carting a sample of this bright, orange-amber, gem-like brew back to Michigan for me. Hoppy grapefruit, pine, and corn sugar nose. Peachy orange fruit highlights. Complex in that how-many-aromas-can-you-pluck-out-of-this-hop-combo-? sort of way. Like chewing on a carnation and quickly chasing it with a wild combo of grapefruit, rind, and a pure, leafy hop plant. Truly an epic, full body on this brew. Not something I could drink every day -- a 9.5% brew with tongue-numbing hops and a body so thick it might be a stew? -- but well worth the sample.

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%

Autographed bottle courtesy bennybrew with all due thanks and hosannahs.

Golden and hazy.

Aroma is (underlined) startling! The hops in the aroma are not about bittering. They are a grassy brawn to offset a definite apricot (?!?!) note. And that's just the aroma.

Sharp tang! in the mouthfeel. Flavor has an outstanding range of 1. stinging bitter hop 2. grassy leafy hop 3. juicy fruity hop... all in service of the honey/syrup heavy, solid malt center.

As crazy as the label suggests. "Massive." Uh huh.

4.73/5  rDev +7.5%

Hazy orange amber color, topped by a thick, creamy head. A perfect looking beer. Sweet floral aromas waft up from a distance, while up close it's a bit more spicy with some distinct citrus. The taste is pretty freaking amazing, with sweetness, floral notes, bitterness, malt, hops, and citrus all intermingled. Each takes a turn at the front of the stage, then slips in to play a supporting role for the next star flavor. Mouthfeel is also very well done, being at once light but yet solid. However, the carbonation expands just a bit too vigorously (a nit-pick, yes). But this beer goes down very well. I said to myself, I thought this was a double IPA? Then I check the ABV. The alcohol is well disguised in this beer. I can feel a bit of warming in the pit of my stomach after a while, but nothing like many beers in this range. This is really a nice brew.

4.94/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a fuzzy orange color that was hard to pin down, with a nice thin-foam head, with impressive slick lacing in tendril form.

Smells like heaven. Huge grapefruit scents with brisk but burly accents of pine surrounding it. Has a big sweet malt body that makes the hops so sweet and full, but the big hops give it a perfume-like depth and complexity. Amazing, inviting, and made me dizzy with pleasure over and over again, slowly savoring the 22 oz. bottle.

Taste is an amazing balacing act of big malts and bigger hops. The malts are caramelly, but steadily of an amber sort, and help impart a soft and luxurious mouthfeel. The hops are wonderful grapefruit flavored further perked up and sweetened by the malt, with other hop accents including lemon, lime, and a bitterness that pleasantly pricks my tongue with the highest quality alpha feels and flavor. A confluence of all things large and wonderful that a brewer could put in an IPA, yet still sooo drinkable. Makes me wanna say "good Lord!"

Imperial in strength in size but still an IPA in style, this beer continues to throw me for a loop. Every time I open a bottle my eyes roll back into my head, as I drift into an ethereal world of supreme beer experience.

4.32/5  rDev -1.8%

I picked up a few bottles of the Dreadnaught at Kahn's in Indianapolis last week while I was on a business trip and sampled the first tonight. I believe I paid $5.50 each for the bottles. The Dread poured into the glass somewhere between polished bronze and light copper color, topped with a light tan head that slowly faded away. Aroma is very grapefruit hoppy, also sweet and a bit alcoholic. Medium to slightly heavy body. Taste is bursting with fresh hop flavor at first, then bittering a bit and tranitioning into a malty sweetness and finishing a bit tart and sharply hoppy again. Definitely some significant alcohol warmth on the way down, a good beer for a cold day but well drinkable any day.

4.75/5  rDev +8%

Pours with a deep cream colored head, very sticky and long-lived. Gorgeous deep bronze colored liquid, slightly hazed. Loads of bready maltiness in the nose with floral, herbal hoppiness coming in behind that. The taste is a substantial malty backdrop...doughy and sweet that's shoved aside by assertive, but not overpowering hoppiness, quite bitter without dominating the palate. Subtle alcohol notes are tasted mid-line. Finishes wonderfully between sweet malt and bitter hops, very hearty and flavorful...why isn't this availiable near me???

Thanks to Pabobcat for the bottle!

3.65/5  rDev -17%

Boilermaker hit it on the head with much of his review. This is a BIG beer.

Tons of grapefruit. Tons of hops. Tons of alcohol -- and it tastes boozy, too.

The one thing I might add is that it has the treacly taste of excessive alcohol. Yes, it has tons of hops. But, unlike other great hoppy beers, the hops don't quite mask the thick, syrupy alcohol flavor which lingers like a sweet whiskey.

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%

05/15/04 Re-review: I had to walk thru an update to Dreadnaught after it won my double IPA blind tasting over the likes of Ruination, 90 Minute, Yulesmith, and Hop Wallop. The biggest thing I picked out this time 'round was the aroma and flavor of oak. Everything about Dreadnaught is huge and it all melds together seemlessly for a simply glorious beer drinking experience. Absolutely first-rate!

First bottle I saw when hitting the beer section at Kahn’s in Indianapolis was a single, last, lonely bomber of Dreadnaught. Now, I’m not a big fan of IPA’s but I threw myself at that bottle like it was a life ring thrown to a drowning man.
Dreadnaught came steaming out of it’s anchorage, a 22oz. bomber, going full steam ahead. Linking up with my pint glass, this dark golden brew waited, sending streams of bubbles up to a solid 1” white head that left a wake of sheet lace on the glass. As I brought the glass to my nose, Dreadnaught fired it’s first salvo, a broadside of grapefruit aroma with hints of caramel malt and alcohol that had me thinking I was getting a glass of alcohol-laced grapefruit juice. As I took one, then two, sips, Dreadnaught opened up with all guns firing – hops, hops, hops!! Shot through by a massive barrage of grapefruit and some pine flavors, I continued to drink as any hints of malty goodness were ruthlessly dispatched by the constant assault of bitter hops and alcohol. The feel was somewhat heavy and a bit raw.
I continued through the first glass and finished off the bottle as my head started getting a bit fuzzy. Dreadnaught had accomplished its mission: set forth and obliterate any and all references to malt. On the whole, Dreadnaught is one top-notch IPA. Drinkability suffers a bit because, as you enjoy the all-guns-firing hops frenzy, the potent alcohol content comes out of nowhere like a torpedo to sink you. Nevertheless, hopheads rejoice! Your nectar is served. Be warned, all others: if you hate grapefruit, give Dreadnaught a wide, wide berth.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

Served in the 22 oz. bomber. The color is copper, with a ring of white head. The smell is a nice citrusy hops with a bit of alcohol behind it. The taste is a very nice balance of hops, not overly done, but with a great balance behind it, and a hint of alcohol that doesn't take away from the beer at all. Mouthfeel is slightly heavy. Drinkability, quite good, and could have a few.

A tremendous IPA, without being hop juice. I hope I'll be able to find this one in Western PA in the near future. I'll definitely have this one again!!

4.53/5  rDev +3%

MMM hooops. Pours out a nice orange gold color wiht a creamy white head that leaves some decent lace. The aroma has hops hops and more hops, very citrusy. The taste...a hop lovers dream. The hops hide the alchohol very well, and it does havea certain malty sweetness hiding amongst the hops. I will drink this one again.and again..and again.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

This is not a commonly found beer in Philly so I was excited to find a 22 oz bomber at the Foodery. When I cracked open the bottle, the fragrant aroma wafted up to my nose. It had that classic citric grapefruit smell. It lacks the pungent notes of several other imperial IPAs The aroma is beautiful and can be detected from several feet away.

The pour took a bit of time. There was a rocky had that held up well. The color seemed to be a dark golden hue with a hazy quality. The room was a bit dim so I can't be exact on hue. But the flavor was wonderful. The hops lent a bitterness from start to finish. It was not as heavy as some other imperial IPAs but that made for an enjoyable experience. There were hints of sweetness in the beer too. They didn't scrimp on the malts here. This is a must try beer for hopheads.

2.52/5  rDev -42.7%

10-13-2003

Sorry everybody, but I don't like this beer. I hope I move it down in the rankings (edit: damn I didn't) because it made me mad. Maybe its just an off night or something for me, but this beer really is no good!

I'll admit the nose is quite nice, huge citrus hops cascade and centennial I would venture, with a hint of yeastyness and ethanol there.

The taste is huge, its too huge. Its not interesting, it simply rumbles over your tongue. This beer crosses the line. It seems like an excuse to make a stupidly big beer. DFH 90 min is what I think an IIPA should taste like...big but interesting and doing something other than gouping up my mouth. This beer is cloyingly sweet, extremely sweet. I think a really hoppy beer should be balanced with maltiness, NOT SUGAR. My mouth is now coated with a resinous shalack like syrup GODAMMIT! I hate that. The hops and alcohol (which is really obvious in this disaster of a beer) are giving me bad heartburn and I spilled it on my nice leather chair and it was a sticky fucking mess!

All in all, I say tone it down. I couldn't drink another one of these if I had to.

2-20-2005 UPDATE

Well...I had to give it another shot after my horrible experience last year. It it's on 7$ a bomber here which is cheaper than the 10$ I was told to expect. I just have to say that it wasn't my mood or a bad bottle or anything. I hated the beer this time and had to move the mouthfeel rating DOWN to 2.0. This stuff is like barely liquid cotton candy. Blech. It is so syrupy. I have to say that the american hop flavors are incredible, but far far too much. It tastes like they found out how to artificially synthesize american hop flavors and they poured a gallon of these chemicals into each bottle. Well this is certainly a technical achievement, it makes horrible beer. But do have to praise the lacing. Really impressive.

Dreadnaught IPA from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.