Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Dreadnaught IPA | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA
4.4/5
Outstanding
Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001

#234

Ratings: 6,048 |  Reviews: 1,731
4.38/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Light colored for a IIPA, it has a darker golden hue, not like a pils at all but it is of the golden variety. Absolutely crystal clear with a moderate amount of carbonation. There is a one finger creamy white head, it's a stunning looking beer.
I'm really only smelling citrus here but it smells so good. I'd say say it reminds me of sweeter fruit with this aroma.
I taste sweet citrus fruit, also able to pick up a carely malty presence as the beer nears room temp.
The beer is mouth coatingly smooth with bitter hops followed by a sweeter malty presence and leaves behind a nice citrusy aftertaste.
An outstanding beer overall, there's not one thing about this beer that I don't like other than its hard to find.

4.31/5  rDev -2%

Bomber poured into a 16oz tulip. Thanks to Matt for this one.

A - Pours a nice, vibrant amber, with a touch of haziness to it. Off-white head of soapy foam that settles to a thin skiff. While not the best head retention, the lacing is as thorough as I've ever seen, with tons of sticky suds clinging to the glass after every sip. Awesome looking beer; as well as bottle design, name, and even the cap is cool. Good stuff from FFF.

S - As expected, a tropical hop explosion. Bright, fruity hops; mango, pineapple, grapefruit, orange, and a touch of peach. Earthy pine looms underneath. Big, robust malt character of toasty caramel, buttery bread, and biscuit. Exactly what one would expect form this brew.

T - A huge DIPA for sure. Intense, pungent hop blast that just assaults the palate. Mango, pineapple, and big grapefruit as well. Orange marmalade and a subtle hint of peach. Huge, resinous pine presence that dominates the finish. Massive hop character, but a robust and pronounced malty side as well. Big caramel malt, with buttery biscuits, bread and toasty notes as well. Finishes with assertive hop presence that dominates the profile with the force of all 100 IBUs, as well as a notable alcoholic presence. Massive, but still drinkable.

M - Fine but prickly carbonation right off the bat, with a rather creamy, medium bodied feel. Intense bitterness linger on and on. Given the IBUs and alcohol content of this beer, it remains surprisingly drinkable.

D - This was the first beer I've ever bothered to really seek out via trade, and while it was by no means a let down, my tastes have simply changed since I started my search. I find the intense bitterness and boozy character of most DIPAs (and Barleywines for that matter) to be too abrasive for my palate (Yet I can't find an imperial stout too big to enjoy). While this definitely nears abrasive territory for my palate, I still find it very drinkable and very tasty. I would compare this DIPA to Lagunitas Hop Stoopid, as they deliver comparable citrusy hop blasts but also present a fair degree of balance and drinkability. An absolutely superb beer from Three Floyds, but admittedly, it didn't quite live up to the hype for me.

4.42/5  rDev +0.5%

Six of us attending a beer tasting that I hosted in my man cave pub gave this beer a score of 24 out of a possible 30 for and an average score of 4.0 It ranked tied for 3rd out of the 12 beers we tasted. The group of six were divided evenly, 3 that favored IPA's and 3 that favored Stouts.

3.5/5  rDev -20.5%

3.53/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours brilliant deep orange with decent sized head. Smells of citrus hops and tropical fruits. Taste is not really the huge hop bite I expected from the nose but still very nice. Very nice fruity character pineapple, grapefruit, mango, passion fruit and a slight hint of biscuit malt and black pepper. Mouthfeel is pretty chewy carbonation pretty low. Overall very decent year round beer.

2.5/5  rDev -43.2%

4.75/5  rDev +8%

Dreadnaught IPA from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.4 out of 5 with 6,048 ratings