Dreadnaught IPA | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Dreadnaught IPADreadnaught IPA

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An Imperial India Pale Ale with an intense citrus hop aroma, a huge malt body and a crisp finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001

4.4

Reviews: 1,705 | Ratings: 5,910
4.32/5  rDev -1.8%

A clean amber/orange beer. Has a nice bubbly white head with some nice lace. The aroma is all hops with atleast two distinctive hop characteristics standing out. The first is a bittersweet grapefruit. The second is a peppery spicey hop and the two armwrestle for equal time. The peppery hop hits your mouth first and slowly gives way to a sweet malt note that quickly segues to the bittersweet grapefruit finish.

Nothing surpasses the joy I feel when a new batch of Dreadnaught hits the local stores. Well, almost nothing. If you are planning to consume this beer it must be poured into the proper glassware. If you do not have this, wait to consume the beer.

Poured into a tulip of course, this beer is orange, with an inch of white head. It fades, but maintains a small head. Some lace clings to the glass.

It has been far to long since I have enjoyed this smell. I could get a similar effect from sniffing a pine cone. Some citrus is thrown in there as well. This is the finest nose of any IIPA I have encountered. I feel the same way about the taste. There is a barrage of piney, citrus infused artillery, with a single burst of sweet, caramel malt fire in the midst of all that.

The mouthfeel is lightly, very creamy. That is not a typo. Drinkability is high. I use that word often, so to be more specific, I have been known to drink three of these in a night. I'm just rambling here, but wine connoisseurs pay a lot more for a comparable amount of the finest wines in the world, however, many breweries put out equally world class beers at considerably less price.

Edit: I must blame my 4.5 appearance score the last time on a dirty glass. Tonight's pour into a thoroughly rinsed glass yielded the two inch head and blanketing lace that I expect from IN's finest.

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

This poured from the bottle a deep copper color with a thick cream colored head. The head retention on the beer was astounding, it stuck around forever. The nose has tons of hop. Every possible character of an over the top hop beer. Hop flower, grass, fresh cut hay, pine and a ton of grapefruit citrus come across in the nose. The taste has an almost orange hop flavor that morphs into the expected grapefruit. The pine character remains and provides a sharp bitterness on the side of the tongue. Malt…hmmm what’s that? There is a defined sweetness, a mild caramel on the finish, a slick mouth feel and a nice alcohol warming. The drinkability is good, not great, but this beer is still a wonderful experience.

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%

First off thanks to hoppedup for sharing his bottle,pours a hazy burnt orange with a nice two finger fluffy head,aromas are straight hop all the way bigtime pine and spruce not much citrus just like an evergreen pine forest.To be expected this was totaly hop based big pine and very and I mean very resiny it made the tongue curl it was so piney and dry.One dimensional to say the least didnt pick up any malt although I know it was there,a hop bomb no doubt and very good at that.

4.05/5  rDev -8%

Poured into a snifter, a mildly hazy light orange. Nice head and good lacing.

Smells hoppy. Really pungent with piney hop resins and a citrus bomb in the nostrils.

Goes in super smooth, especially considering the hops. Oily pine and citrus with a strong malt to back it up. Super sweet, leaves and oily sweetness on the lips that is delightful. Really hoppy, but definitely one of the tamer double IPAs I have had. The hops did not seem excessive and were well balanced. The alcohol is barely noticable.

Pretty good. Not world class and it doesn't come close to some of the west coast IIPAs (Pliny the Younger, Hercules, etc.) but it is damn good and has many qualities that make it unique. Not another ultra hopped out beer, there is craftmanship and care behind it.

3.67/5  rDev -16.6%

Was really looking forward to this one. This is the 4th of a group of three floyds that my brother brought home from Indiana. Saved it for the 4th of July. Was very pleased with the other 3. Poured a golden/orange color with considerable chill haze and minimum head. The chill haze dissipates as the beer warms which confirmed that it was chill haze and not floaters from being bottle conditioned. Leaves nice lacing. Smell is all hops and lives up to what i was hoping for. Taste however just didn't deliver. Overly sweet caramel flavor that overpowers the hops. Alchohol is well hidden. Overall just did not live up to what i was hoping for. I have another one in the cellar and will re-review if my opinion changes.

4.53/5  rDev +3%

Bomber obtained by a buddy from the brewery in spring 2005 and consumed about a week later (review recorded on paper). Pours a two finger off white head over slightly cloudy and light orange or copper colored liquid. Smells of grapefruit pith, gentle pine needle, and apricot. Much more fruity than I was expecting. Tastes is rich sweet with nice grapefruit bitter. Not too rough of the grassy co-humulone but certainly enough to intrigue. The hops hit front and high, then they drop lower and to the back of the mouth. Great bitter with a nice aromatic hoppy aftertaste. Fruits are gentle and consist of apricot and (with reaching) some pear. Really nice mouthfeel, it's not just thick, it's thick like an oatmeal stout. Carbonation was moderate to md-heavy. The best offering I've had from 3F.

4.55/5  rDev +3.4%

App: Deep, deep orange and cloudy with a thick white head that laces the glass.

Smell: So pungent you can smell it across the room. Beautiful pine hops, malt, and citrus. Some alcohol and orange. Amazing nose.

Taste: Hops up front but very well balanced by a thick malt backbone. There's caramel there as well and a dry finish with a light alcohol presence. Very deep and rich.

Mouth: Thick yet smooth. Perfect amount of carbonation.

Drink: It's definitely good for a 9.5% DIPA, but you couldn't have more that a few glasses.

Overall: It's this and yulesmith as far as I'm concerned for the top of the heap in IPA's. Just amazing amount of depth and complexity of flavors. It's smacks you in the face with hops, yet it's so well balanced with depth. You need to find this beer.

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%

Had this from a 22oz bomber I bought for $10 at the Northeast Taproom in Reading, Pa. I'm always a little anxious when I buy something at a bar because you never know how old it is. The bottle was not dated, but I figured this beer would age well, anyway.

The beer is a nice light orangey color, a little hazy, with an off white head with slightly large bubbles. Evident carbonation. The head dropped to a coating over the beer in @ 3 minutes. I love orangey IPA's! Very slight laddering appeared as I sipped. Couldn't really count the sips, though.

The smell is just awesome. Strong citrusy, floral hops, maybe a hint of cherries, malt aroma in the back; alcohol comes through also. My mouth actually watered while smelling this beer!

The first flavor is hops out the wazoo. Grapefruit, lemons, maybe some pine, earthy-like. Malt sweetness matches the hops wonderfully. Got a slight raisony flavor, maybe from caramel or Munich malt? For the style, this beer is absolutely balanced.

The mouthfeel was great. Tongue coating resins, carbonation tickle, and a warm, fuzzy feeling at the end from alcohol.

As for drinkability, I would drink this every day if my wallet (and my liver) could afford it. One of the best beers I have ever had the pleasure of drinking.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to cubedbee for this one.
Ahahahahahahahahaha! Words will not describe this brew. It is utterly awesome.
Appears a cloudy dark gold with a luscious white head. Tons of thick lacing stick to the glass all over the place. These guys know what they're doing.
Smell is of biscuity malts, grapefruit, and tons of complex hops all on a bed of white chocolate.
I can't even describe this complex taste properly. Imagine a stickier version of all the smells I just described with a resinous, lip smacking taste. Delicious!
Mouthfeel is full with plenty of balance. I can't even put it into words. Just do it...do it.

Finger licking good...and then some!!

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Bottle: Poured a clear medium brown color ale with a huge off-white foamy head with pretty good retention. Aroma is totally dominated by floral hops of the kinds I wish we would see more of. Taste is very particular and not what I expected or what I had taste before in other Imperial IPA. Delicate floral sweet hops on top of well balance malt. Body is full and alcohol is well hidden. Not the malt and hops overpowered monster I was expecting but more of well balance and extremely enjoyable beer.

4.32/5  rDev -1.8%

So, would those be Amarillo hops lending definition to the aroma? Smells delicious, with a fair measure of bubblegum. Shows refined clarity with slow CO2 and a soft beige head.

Dreadnaught is a muscular balance of honey sweet malts, sensible bitterness, and strong alcohol. The hops are not overplayed and that sharp bite of alcohol really suited my mood. I was going to cellar this for a while, but it appears to be heavily filtered and not bottle conditioned, so I’m glad I didn’t wait. Special thanks to cmaruschak.

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%

This was an incredibly fresh draft version consumed right at the brewery. It is deceptively light in color for a beer of this character. The head is not big, but forms a nice tight lacing. The smell and taste are dominated by a huge flowery hops and sweet malt. It was so fresh and hoppy on tap. The mouthfeel is great, well rounded and substantial. The drinkability mainly suffers due to ABV. Otherwise it is very drinkable, just don't drink too many.

4.57/5  rDev +3.9%

Slightly hazy apricot colored, with a full inch of lumpy meringue sitting on top of the glass. It recedes to about a half inch, and there it sits and waits for me.

Aroma of sweet fruits and that slight metallic tinge that signals to me that this one's got some horsepower under the hood - 9.5%, I had no idea. Aroma draws me in, sweet bready malt hand-in-hand with the citrusy hop, plus some butterscotch, cinnamon, and cotton candy.

Chewy and full mouthfeel, just a little tingly, leads to a rich and complex flavor of tangerine citrus, sweet and bready (but not cloying) malt, orange peel bitter, ripe pear and candy. Faint undertones of toffee and pine, and a tingly finish that's part carbonation and part piney hops. Long, swirling legs of lace creep down the glass.

There's a reason this beer is BA's #16, and BuckeyeNation is the man for sharing this beauty.

Flowing from the 22oz bomber, this hazy ale fills my snifter with a very attractive deep orange. About a finger of head rises to top off this beautiful brew. Oh yeah, this is what an IPA should smell like! Lots of citrous aromas dominate the nose. Very clean piney hops add to this powerful aromatic experience. The smell is completed by a little caramel and malt. The taste is wonderful. Hops are quick to attack the palate with sharp citrous and pine notes. The hops are wonderfully potent, but amazingly not overpowering. Sweet caramel and malt flavors form a solid backbone for the taste. There are some spices present that dance with the hops and tantalize the tongue. This is IPA on a Biblical level! Mouthfeel is big, creamy, and smooth - at the same time staying sharp from the hops. Residual hop oils coat your mouth and provide a bitter dry finish, although some of the malt and spice also stick around. Alcohol, although slightly warming, is well hidden in the taste. Wonderfully drinkable, I want to drink Dreadnaught until the day I die. I was a little skeptical about paying $9 for a bomber, but I wish I would have bought everything the store had!

Damn, this is the standard by which all IPAs will be forever judged. I cannot say a single bad thing about this beer. I have always been leary about handing out 5's for a beer, but this brew has honestly earned it. If you can find a bottle, pick it up, you won't be disappointed.

4.12/5  rDev -6.4%

22 oz bomber.
Pours a very clear almost sunset orange. Fluffy white head, with great retention and lacing.
Smell is overwhelming really (in a good way). Hops by the bale. Earthy, cirtusy, piney...however else you want to describe it, this things got some hops in it! Sweet malt and caramel are also present. Also a bit of buttery diacetyl.
Taste is also very heavily laden with hops, but very nicely balanced with a sweet malt and caramel backbone. Nevertheless, this is a hop bomb if there ever was one. Alcohol is present, but is well hidden by all of the other flavors.
One thing that I wasn't too thrilled with in this beer is the buttery aftertaste. I'm not really fond of diacetyl in my IPAs, but that's just one man's humble opinion.
Overall, a fine example.

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I started out wondering why I was paying $11 for a 22 oz beer, and ended up wishing I'd bought a second one. Pours nicely out of the gate, a little more than light amber in color, thick, and with a nice creamy head. Smell was great...grapefruit citrus aroma characteristic of Alpha King, but both richer and smoother. Satisfyingly thick mouthfeel that begs you to savor the brew before swallowing. Those who can hold off on that are rewarded by huge citrus, with maybe a hint of pine. With the finish, the hops kick in, but in a completely accessible way...not sweet and bitter but not, if that makes any sense.

Highly recommended. Even those who are just making their way into the realm of highly hopped ales will appreciate this one.

4.82/5  rDev +9.5%

Crystal clear, light amber with a minimal but creamy looking head, that rebuilt itself with each sip, leaving a bit of lace behind. Slow and steady streams of bubbles were visually evident. From the second I opened the bottle, I was blasted by massive aromas of grapefruit and orange blossom honey. Sticking my nose into my imperial pint glass revealed big-time apricot and pine sap. I couldn't wait to try it and then, goddamn, I said goddamn! Hugely spicy and super sweet all at once. The bittering dries the mouth and builds gradually and lasts until who knows when; I couldn't wait long enough to find out–this stuff is top notch. Another gulp. Sweet, honey-laced grapefruit pith. A pine tree that offers grapefruit instead of pine cones. A perfect balance of malt and hops, that although powerful, neither is too aggressive. There's always something that balances the other out. The mouth was unbelievable. Fine carbonation coupled with a medium-thick, slick body contribute to an amazingly delicate feeling on the tongue; it's as if someone draped a piece of silk across my tongue. The mouthfeel and taste combo easily garners a perfect score. I always question the price of 3F beers in my area but this one was well worth it. Glad I bought two.

4.68/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to the very generous onecrazymofo for this one...one of many.
Pours a fantastic orange...real cloudy, the way I expect my IIPA's to look. Two full fingers of creamy tan head...lacing is perfect...tons of clingy webs...head is going nowhere.
Aroma is beautiful...piney citrus eminating from the glass. A touch of cotton candy and tropical fruit as well.
The taste is a semi-sweet explosion of hops and malt..can't say it is one-sided at all, although the bitterness that sucks away any moisture in my mouth makes me think the hops will win the battle.
It is as if they squeezed in a Florida orange in each bottle.
The carbonation is perfect for its style and it is quite refreshing. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel...bittersweet aftertaste that makes you crave for more.
One of the most highly drinkable 9+% ABV brews I have ever had...up there w/ Victory's Storm King.
All the hype this brew receives and I must agree w/ the masses...the best IIPA out there.

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours out a radiant deep orange with a thick rocky head of light yellow foam. Monster lacing in my tulip. I'm just going to go ahead and call this the most beautiful beer I've ever seen.
Smell is citrus hops, but it's so thick and juicy, there's grapefruit, some pine, and a good helping of sweet malt in there as well. It's a huge smell, but it's a nice one.
Flavor is sublime. Obviously there's a huge hop presence, but the malt backbone is assertive as well. There's quite a bit of citric fruitiness with a nice sweetness, too. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, especially for the high ABV. Lot of pine in the flavor as well.

This is truly a great one, even if it's a bit expensive. It's too huge to drink every night, but on special occasions I can't imagine a better brew.

4.87/5  rDev +10.7%

Pres: 650 cc bottle with insane looking British officer and an assassin lurking in the background

Appearance: Copper, like the color of fermentation tanks. 1-2 fingers thick, sticky head. Clings to the glass. Very clear, no haze at all with a careful pour.

Smell: Man alive, I feel like I just opened a bag of fresh hops and dove in for a whiff. I half expect to see little yellow lupulin sacks floating in it. Piney, sharp cheddar. Beautiful.

Taste: Fantastic. Fresh hop, long, lingering bitter aftertaste, but not that "overhopped", out of balance flavor that a lot of these double IPA's are afflicted with. The best word for the overall taste is harmony between hop character and malt sweetness. I don't get a hint of alcohol, which is scarey.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth, too easy for the alleged 9.5%

Drikability: Again, too easy. This just goes down and feels good.

Notes: This is fast becoming my favorite style and this may have leap-frogged Victory Hop Wallop as my number 1, though the price is somewhat prohibitive. ($79 for 12 x 650cc bottles).

4.32/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearence: In my Goblet it's a glowing orange with a thin, creamy beige head.

Smell: The smell is of glorious hops. The alcohol is hidden very well, and the hops are full and fragrant.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The flavor is full of hops. Floral, citrus and other notes come to mind as the hops bitterness leaves a lingering dry aftertaste. The alcohol is diguised well, and doesn't interfere with the hop-play. The mouthfeel is creamy.

Drinkability and Overall: The DIPA is not my favorite style, but this is pretty killer. The hops are just right, and don't mix badly with the alcohol. Three Floyd's continues to impress me. Can't wait to try some more.

4.72/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours out a somewhat thick and viscous pale amber color, with a modest off white head. Wow, the aroma on this one is huge. CITRUS!!! wow, grapefruits, lemons, limes, oranges, pine mint, damn near every hop aroma you can imagine. Just wonderful on the nose. Wow, this is not as bitter as I imagined. There is a very nice caramel malt backbone to this one. The sweetness is balanced by the magnificant hop flavor. Super citrus taste, but not in the puckering grapefruit manner. More of a citrus spectrum. Moutfeel is creamy, and highly drinkable for the octane on this one. I would love to drink this one more, but at the $9.99 price tag my wallet would be very mad at me. Please lower the price on this one to something more reasonable and I wont drink anything else

4.27/5  rDev -3%

Appearance: Into a tulip, this beer is an orange-golden with a sticky and well retained head of yellow stained lace.

Smell: The smell is of really oily hops, especially grapefruit and other tropical fruit.

Taste: This is good (but really not exceptional). I taste a really pungent boquet of hops that run the gammut from bitter pine to sugary sweet orange to tart grapefruit to tangy mango. Very tropical, and very slick. Bitterness is high, but not offensive. This beer is something unexpectedly cohesive. The malts stick in there to give balance to the hop extravaganza, and the end result is a flavorful hophead's dream. I like this more and more as I drink it.

Mouthfeel: It's partly the fault of the resinous hops, and partly that of the large malt bill used to up this into imperial alcohol range, but this starts to cloy. It's to be expected, but not quite endearing. Bitter hops burn themselves on the tongue, love it or hate it.

Drinkability: Overall I liked it, and I had no problems polishing off the bomber. For the price however, there are better double and Imperial IPAs, and the genre is growing by the day. Stoudt's makes an eerily similar double IPA for 1/5 th the price. Not quite worth the hype, this is still a nice beer.

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Served in an imperial pint glass

Appearance: deep golden amber color that is perfectly clear with lots of tiny bubbles and a thick amber hued foam. Head last for days and is very dense. Nice lacing on the glass after each sip.

Smell: The strong smell of fresh green hops hits my nose during the pour. Very bright hops not really grassy not really citrus.

Taste: crystal malt is present a strong base then a blast of hops with a citrus presents at the end. A slight bit of warmth follows the hops, but when I exhale it is all hops on my breath.

Mouthfeel- smooth beer with just a hint of hop astringency. The alcohol warmth is just right in this beer.

Drinkability: The hops are fresh and delicious. It has enough malt base to give the hops a leg to stand on but its not overly malty. Which is what I like to see in this style.

Dreadnaught IPA from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.