Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Brian Boru Old Irish Red | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Brian Boru Old Irish RedBrian Boru Old Irish Red

Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: Irish Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Ireland’s first and last Ard Ri (high king) of the whole Gaelic race, Brian Boru was born in Munster, Ireland around 940. Brian Boru’s mother was killed by Vikings when he was a child. He spent his life uniting the Irish tribes to become the first king of Ireland only to be killed at Clontarf on Good Friday 1014 putting down a rebellion by the king of the province of Leinster. This one’s for him.

Added by Gueuzedude on 03-14-2004

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

22oz bomber poured into an Imperial pint glass. Really have to thank the Binny's beer guy for pointing this one out to me, nice and fresh.

A: Pours out a completely clear, dark syrupy glowing orange and topped with a two inch sandy white head that bubbles down into a quarter inch cap. Leaves some nice lacing behind.

S: Man this is something else, first whiff is a massive punch of floral/citrusy hops, like Gumballhead on steriods with a heavier malt presence.

T/MF: MMMalty, surprisingly so for a Three Floyds beer but with heavy doses of fruity hops. Opens very bready, a thick slice of wheat toast slathered in apricot and grapefruit preserves. Finish is soft and leaves a lingering dryness on the tongue.

D: Solid offering from Three Floyds which seems silly to say as they pretty put out something good each go around. This is a beer that needs to be drank fresh though to get the full effect. Interesting take on the style but malty enough to fit in to the guidelines well enough.

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

Got this on tap at 3Fs. Nice reddish amber color w/ an off-white head. Good lacing. Smell is much hoppier than a typical red. Taste is also. Nice citrus bite, biscuity malt character in the finish. Wonderful oakey aftertaste. Slick, medium bodied mouthfeel, medium carbonation. Nice!

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It pours a nice hazy amber/red color. A couple inch thick light beige head forms and reduces to a hefty lacing. Definitely visible carbonation and no sediment.

The aroma is a blend of citrus hops and a caramel malty sweetness. The is a hint of honey in there as well.

The taste is similar to the aroma with a citrus hops and toffee malt sweetness. A pleasant roasted and earthy component balances nicely.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good dose of carbonation to balance the flavors. It goes down fairly clean and leaves a nice malty sweet dryness at the finish.

Overall, this is a good beer in each aspect but not too much of any one. This makes it easy to drink and quite enjoyable.

2.91/5  rDev -28%

Shared this 22 oz bomber during a small cabin getaway earlier last week. Here's my take -

A: The beer has a nice rufous hue (reddish-brown/oxidized iron). Nice beige head that remains for almost the entirety of the beer, good cascading lacing. Beautiful looking beer.

S: After reading the description of this beers build the Amarillo hops become even more evident, another hop forward beer from the 3F boys, especially considering the style. The nose is tropical hops, caramel toffee, and brown-sugared honey.

T: There is a striking similarity to 3F Alpha Klaus' hop profile, which isn't to my liking. Hopheads unite! Sure? Perhaps it's the Amarillo hops and combination of honey that sets me off, gives it a sweetness entirely disagreeable to my palate. I am fond of Dreadnaught, but the hops used in combination with the particular malt yield difference results apparently. I could taste underneath the unpleasant sweetness toffee and caramel.

M: The mouthfeel cannot suffer just from the taste...medium bodied beer, above average carbonation, but at times a bit thin.

D: Great looking brew with a nose that I find likable, just when it hits the tongue it's a different story. I'll be weary of the Amarillo/Honey forward beers from 3F from now on.

3.89/5  rDev -3.7%

22oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. No bottled date. Thanks to kstrickler for the bottle!

(A)- Pours a hazy yet pale reddish copper color that produced an immediately dissipating off-white to gray head.

(S)- A spicy apple & pineapple aroma teamed up with a bit of fig, toffee, and dry honey.

(T)- Dry honey, but with plenty of pineapple & peach fruits. Finishes with some musky toffee dryness. Almost candy-like but not in sweetness.

(M)- A good carbonation level with a relatively good balance. A bit thinner in the body than I expected, but this does have some age on it.

(D)- An interesting irish red made interesting with 3 Floyds behind the wheel. Good citrus-like hops and honey. An enjoyable beer despite its bottle age. I am sure this would only be better fresh!

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

A - This beer poured a deep rusty reddish brown color that produced a tan head that had a great amount of retention and laced the side of the glass very nicely

S - The aroma of the beer had a huge toasty, caramel malty aroma that was only outdone by the massive amount of pineapple hoppiness

T - The taste of this beer had a toasty malt beginning, that was accompanied by black tea and brown sugar, and was followed by the blast of pineapple hoppiness

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - My latest tasting of a Three Floyds beer makes me crave their other beers that much more, this is truly a great beer

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from 22oz bottle. Review from notes.

A- Pours a nice deep red copper color into my glass. Almost looks like there is a slight haze to this. Nice one finger off white head (slight tan) that stays for a long time. Leaves nice lacing all on the glass while drinking.

S- Surprised about the bigger citrus notes in this one as I cracked it open. The hops come through this pretty upfront with the caramel malts coming in a close second. There is a light roasting I can pick up on that I think you wouldn't notice if the beer was any colder. I poured mine around cellar temp.

T- There is a light citrus hop in the front of this beer but the caramel malts come and take over from that point. The malts take over the rest of the time along with some roasted malts that come into play during the ending of the beer.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation for the style. Sweet caramel malts are left all over the tongue and in the aftertaste. Nice crisp and clean flavors with everything.

D- I was blown away with this beer. I didn't really expect anything as flavorful as this beer. Irish Red Ales are not a favorite style for me but FFF did a good job of making this style more interesting.

3.97/5  rDev -1.7%

Again, the venerable Philip comes through with hard to find stuff, and is as generous as can be. Thank you! Three Floyds Brian Boru pours deep copper/crimson and is generously capped with scads of beige froth. Good lacing is immediate, and stays the course. There's lotas of hops in the aroma, which is both strange but suprisingly welcome for a beer in this style. Fruity aromas take second place, and win the silver medal. Third place goes to caramel and burnt malts. But hops win the oscar. Sweet fruit and bold hops are the main flavour contenders, and suragy malt, burnt molasses have decided to tag along. Boru finishes sweet with good length of bitterness and ripe citrus. I'd drink Irish Ales all day log if this was the archetype. Really very well done. Again Philip, you have my thanks. Great!

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

Bomber via trade thanks to dug.

A - Pours a mostly clear bright reddish-copper color with a one-finger off-white head that lasts and leaves good lacing.

S - Aroma is caramel, black tea, herbs, and tropical fruit, especially pineapple.

T - Flavor is really interesting with caramel, toffee, honey, earth, black and herbal tea, pineapple, and citrusy hops. Really a lot going on. Not intense but well-balanced and very tasty.

M - Body is medium and mouthfeel is very crisp and a little dry.

D - Very drinkable. This is really incredible for a style that is not typically very exciting. FFF almost always impresses, and this is no exception.

4.54/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A= Pours a nice regular red color. The color is really nothing spectacular looks like any other red ale. The head is about a finger and is a pretty nice white color. I dunno why The head is so pretty to me but I like it. It's really quite sticky on my glass. The head has pretty good retention also lasting a while as a thin layer on top without letting you see the beer underneath it.
S= Like a red ale should be. It's not one of the super hoppy reds you are seeing more and more of. Old Irish Red is the correct term for this one. Loads of caramel malt pushing into a little toffee almost with perfect hop balance in it. Great smell on this one. It reminds me of the reds I drank when I first started drinking craft beers.
T= Just as I predicted. A perfectly well done red. Taste is just like the smell. The malts in this thing are awesome. So perfect with the balance. Sweet caramel malt and toffee hit the tongue up front and graze across to the middle of my palate where a small amount of hops come to complement the sweet malts. The finish is an awesome balance where the hop bitterness comes through and then deeper caramel malt. When I burp I get pure delicious sweet malts.
M= Smooth and creamy. Really nothing spectacular here. Above average but not as amazing as the taste.
D= Awesome. Again this is a true pure red ale. Great example of the style an one of the most balanced beers I have ever tasted. Awesome job again by Three Floyds.

3.84/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Three Floyd's returns to Hudson, WI, just across the river from Minnesota. Woohoo! Except now I'm finding most of their brews are just OK (I'm not lookin' at you, Alpha King, love you man!). Hoping to find another that turns my love handle. Brian? You the one?

Split with my wife, half goes into my nice Sweetwater pint glass. Amber color, check. Smell is very good, & rather unique - I'm not sure I've ever smelt both hops AND malts that strongly before. Usually one's running the other one down. Nice.

Mr. Boru is wallowing in the malts. Seriously. Bathing. There are malts just oozing out of this one. The hops that are so perky in the nose are just peeking above the malts; I think they're afraid. Caramel & toffee, perhaps a coffee ground or two, are playing hide & seek as well.

Brew is only lightly carbonated, but doesn't suffer from it, but feels pretty solid & heavy in the mouth, though not the stomach. Easy to drink; with a relatively low ABV, I can see this as a sessioneer.

Very nice beer, although I'm always a touch let down when the beer peaks with the smell. This one smells great, & tastes good...but if FFF can get the taste in line with the smell, they'd have a top-shelf Irish Red here. But I'll take it as brewed, too.

4.12/5  rDev +2%

Poured into my pint glass the beer is deep red/brown with a thick tan head that almost sneaks out of my glass.

The aroma is a lush garden of hops. Citrus fruits like grapefruit and lemons along with sweet pinnapple and caramel. Hints of malt as well.

The flavor is rather unique. Malty and hoppy with an ice tea like character that apparently is a standard of the style. Some bitterness but not too much. The malt definatley plays a part here.

Medium body with light carbonation. Smooth and refreshing with every sip.

Another fantastic beer from the boys at FFF. I've yet to find anything from these guys that I don't love.

3.88/5  rDev -4%

Got this treat from iconoklaztor as an extra. Thanks a ton Don!

Pours a murky red brown with a small tan/off-white head. Head has mediocre retention but leaves a little bit of lacing here and there. I really like the color, and the hazyness.

The nose is incredibly malty. I have absolutely no idea to the age of this beer, but the hop presence isn't near as pronounced as I thought it would be. I get the lightest of earthy hops, with a wood-like aroma, and a very strong and dominant sweet malt backbone.

The taste department isn't much different than the nose would lead you to beleive. Extremely malty with the lightest of earthy hops, a wood-like character and I even get a lightly toasted malt presence. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, sorta threw me off a bit, I was expecting something thicker. Very low carbonation leads to a smooth brew (almost flat) going down the hatch. Very nice. Drinkability is great, this is a great session beer.

Overall, a very good representation of a not-so-mainstream style. I'm impressed with this beer, until I remember it's brewed by Three Floyds, at which point I write it off and realize I should have been expecting that to begin with.

3.71/5  rDev -8.2%

This one pours a dark blood red with a slight head, and this after I practically dumped it in the glass. Smell is a very mild aroma of malt. Tastes mildly of malt, caramel, and the taste improves substantially as it warms up, but it's still pretty mild for this style. Carbonation is just about right, and it's pretty drinkable, but unremarkable for a 3F beer.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to bamadog for this bomber.

Appearance: Pours from the bomber into my pint glass a toasty, rusty red. It is just slightly cloudy, and a super bubbly off-white head reduces from a 3 to 1 finger height quickly. Lots of super sticky, spotty lacing hang off the walls of the glass.

Smell: Somewhat caramelly, slightly toasty - mostly mild and pretty understated. There's a nice, syrupy sweetness to it.

Taste/Mouthfeel: This is a really nice representation of the style. There's the great caramel syrupy sweetness that's met with a nice sticky, roasty maltiness. I really enjoy the the sweetness and the slight smokiness that comes from the roast of the malts. It is a rich taste without being particularly heavy. The hops say hello in the aftertaste and are green-appley, almost bartlett pear-like. They are joined by a light bite from the alcohol, which is surprising given the low ABV. The feel is also nice and moderate, smooth and easy drinking.

Drinkability: Considerably high. This beer isn't for everybody though, as it is so sweet and malty. I enjoy the difference between this and most highly-hopped 3 Flioyds offerings (which I also adore).

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Plenty of off-white head sits atop a red-copper brew. Lots of lacing as this one goes down.

S: Definitely comes off as a malt bomb with a touch of sweetness and a bit of an earthiness. Some hops make their way in behind the caramel and toffee notes.

T: Sweet, but definitely not too sweet. Typical malt profile for the style, but with a little something extra, likely from the hop presence, which is high for the style, but definitely not too high for the beer.

M: Medium bodied and quite creamy.

D: Very, very drinkable. Irish Red is not by any means my favorite style, but this was one of my favorite beers of Spring '09.

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Acquired via trade...thanks Josh. 22 ounce bottle poured into an Imperial pint glass. No abv or bottling info is given.

A-Pours a hazy mahogany with a one finger white head that has incredible retention; it hardly dissipated throughout the session. There are tons of visible bubbles and some nice lace is left in between sips.

S-Lots of pineapple and lemon come out after cracking open the bottle. When it is poured into the glass the citrus compontents are there but are joined by a hefty dose of caramel malt. As it warms up the citrus gets stronger and some roasted malt becomes apparent.

T-The caramel malt is very noticeable in this one. The citrus is a lot more dominant in the back of the mouth and the aftertaste. I also get a tad bit of roasted malt. Not getting too much bitterness.

M-Falls on the medium spectrum. The massive head gives it a creamy mouthfeel. The oats use also contribute to it having a smooth mouthfeel. It finishes quite dry.

D-Tastes like a bigger beer. If you like a lot of caramel malt, this one is incredibly sessionable. I thought it was a perfect beer to be served as a stand alone pint.

I thought this was a good beer. This is a style that I typically avoid. The citrus really gave this one a nice spark.

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%

22 oz. bomber bottle with a bright glossy label that has a cool detailed drawing of the first and last high king of the Gaelic race. This drawing has Brian Boru wearing his full body armor with a horn full of beer in one hand. Below the high king is the 3 Floyd's symbol of a skull wearing a gold crown of brewing instruments. To the far left of the label is where you can find all the mandatory US information and to the right is where you can find a wealth of information. That side has a brief history of Brian Boru, a few tasting notes, and a small map to the brewery. The only piece of information missing from the label is a brewed on date or even a brewed year.

Appearance: I wanted a true Irish glass, but the only thing I had was a Sly Fox O'Riley Stout Imperial pint glass. First off, I have to say that I've never seen such a hazy Irish Red before. It was so hazy that I could only see a brief silhouette of my fingers on the other side of the glass. You gotta love the hazyness! For the color of the beer, it was a red color, but not a solid red color. To me it was more of a dark cranberry orange color than anything else. On top of this red like colored beer was a creamy 1 inch egg shell white head of foam. This creamy head of foam had great retention that left behind a silky off white colored skim of foam and a few small blots of lace around the glass. I know it's going to sound stupid, but the color and the head of foam was good, but hazyness of this beer was the best part of the appearance.

Smell: If you don't do anything to the beer, the aroma will be lightly toasted with a subtle whiff of pineapple, a pinch of tart grapefruit, and a subtle splash of bitter citrus hops. That was good enough to satisfy my sense of smell, but then I woke the beer up by swirling it around. When it was swirled around, the aroma goes on the bitter offensive with a strong whiff of tart grapefruit, pineapple, and citrus hops. Basically, swirling it around enhanced all the citrus aromas found in the first half of the beer. Don't let this beer sit in your glass, give it a whirl.

Taste: If you're ever had an Irish Red before, then you only have the rough draft of this beer. This beer starts off gently with some toasted malts and a tiny speck of toffee. Then out of nowhere, this beer goes citrus and never looks back. These citrus flavors flavors start off strong and then settle down to a nice clean finish. This citrus based taste was filled with pineapple, tart grapefruit, a splash of lemon, a touch of pine, and not overly bitter citrus hops. In other words, it was a great well balanced beer. This beer packed in the citrus flavors, but yet it still had enough room to showcase some toasted flavors.

Mouthfeel: This was a light to medium bodied beer with a right level of carbonation and a full flavored toasted/hoppy aftertaste. This aftertaste was almost as complex as the initial taste. The aftertaste was slightly dry with toasted malts, a touch of grapefruit, a pinch of pineapple, and a nice mild hoppy taste of bitter citrus hops. This aftertaste doesn't last long, but long enough to enjoy it.

Drinkability: The two things that hurt this beer is the availability and the price. Maybe not the price at the right location, but certainly the availability. It's one of those beers that you have to know somebody that knows somebody that know someone that lives in the area of 3 Floyds distribution. Other than that, this was by far the best Irish Red that I've ever had.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Large capped bottle, poured into a tulip.

Dark amber, luscious off white head with great retention and lacing.
Aroma is of an improved irish red ale; caramel maltiness, earthy and piney hoppiness; grapefruits, breadiness.
Medium bodied, it improves as it warms. A strong malty backbone, caramel and bread, opens its way to a nice hoppy bite that adds to the usual irish red flavors. Citric and fruity notes round it up; a major improvement over the usual boring red ale; another great offering from the best brewery ever (IMHO).

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

I have to admit, I didn't expect much out of Brian Boru. An Irish hero? Fine, I'll buy it. But an heroic Irish red ale? I suspected I would have trouble swallowing that! I stand corrected...Boru was quite good. Poured a nice, reddish brown. Adequate head, generous when warmer; but quickly fades to just a skin of foam across the top. Aroma and taste reminded me of a light Robert the Bruce (hundreds of Irishmen, green and orange, simultaneously rolling over in their graves). Medium body, not oily. Above average drinkability. No appreciable difference cold or warmed.

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Amber body, white 1/2" head that leaves a touch of lacing. Good color in the body.

The smell is very much toffee and roasted malt with a little bread thrown in there.

The taste is heavy on the sweet malt, toffee and caramel. It has a slight touch of earthy and bittering hops. I picked up a little darjeeling tea flavor. It's a very well rounded taste.

Mouthfeel is buttery with little carbonation. The finish has a tannic quality and is very dry.

This drinks a lot heavier than a 5.9% abv, but does taste good and I enjoyed trying it.

pours a copper red brown color with a 1/2 inch head that settles down slowly to some nice lacing..the smell is malt,caramel toffe that really permeates the nose a slight hop/spice smell in the background..the taste is a toffee and malt explosion to the senses followed by some nice bitter hops that balances out to a smooth irish red the mouthfeel is smooth and creamy and quite drinkable kind of tastes like a scoth ale mixed with a strong amber its a style i dont drink to often ...3fff always makes great representations of styles that are delicious ..this one falls into that category for sure..recommended

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%

When I picked up the beer I was excited because I have never had an Irish red ale, but always wanted to. When I poured this I was wondering why they call it red ale because it pours a brownish color, and then it hit me, I shined it up to the light and behold it looked red, I thought it was cool

Smells like strong toffee, caramel roasted barely and some floral hops involved as well, a very enticing smell.

Impressive; toffee hits the toungue followed by some caramel and finishes with a small hop bite that lets the taste barely linger in your mouth but just enough to let you know you just tasted greatness

MF is right in the middle I'd say and the carbonation is almost non-existent, but still makes for a pretty good finish. I's stick with about one of these this beer is not that drinkable to me because it's not that refreshing , but regardless the taste is there.

3.76/5  rDev -6.9%

An active and bubbly head slowly turns into a thick and fine pure tan froth and leaves a tall, sticky lacing behind. Color is a rusty red. At the nose, citrus hops are about all I can discern. Possibly some tea and caramel malts underneath. Lack of a big profile here does is not necessarily a bad thing, as it's subtly is pleasant. On the palate a good amount of sweetness mixes with some nuanced hops and faint tea notes. An undercurrent of citrus works itself into the equation after a bit. The light to medium body works well here, as it's not fleeting going down, but gives you something to think about, and has just enough weight to keep it from being a full on summer session brew. Apparently, the Irish Red is a hard style to conquer, and it seems nobody has really made a truly great one, but FFF has come the closest as far as I can tell. Then again, it just might be that the style is not quite in favor right now, but this one hits the spot for me either way.

3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

Picked this up a while ago, but finally got around to drinking it.

A - One finger of dirty white foam with surprisingly excellent retention and a bit of lacing. Brown-red hazed look to the brew, with a bit of a glow to it.

S - Very malt forward, lots of caramel, toffee, a touch of chocolate, but also a hint of tomato and earth. The hops have faded a fair bit since I had this on-tap in early April, but there's still a bit of tropical & floral hoppiness still kicking. It's a little too sweet in general.

T - The taste is a lot of toffee and honeyed bread, with a touch of floral hoppiness and ripe fruit (apple, strawberry). There's a mildly grainy aftertaste that is a little bit unpleasant. I actually like the taste a little bit more than the smell, but not enough to bump it up to a four.

M - Medium bodied, and the carbonation is mild, but it's still a little gritty (much like its namesake I suppose). Finish is pretty dry, with some residual stickiness on the top of the mouth (that sustains the unpleasant aftertaste unfortunately).

D - The low ABV and mild carbonation make it easily drinkable, but I'm just not into the taste all that much. I have no idea how this compares to other Irish Reds, but I'm assuming it isn't all that representative of the style (being a Three Floyds brew). Still, if this was among the better options on-tap somewhere I'd have no problems having a pint.

Brian Boru Old Irish Red from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.