Gorch Fock | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

good
Gorch FockGorch Fock

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Availability: Summer

A light golden colored Franconian style Helles Lager. With a slightly sweet malt body, a noble hop profile and a crisp finish this beer is as traditional as we’ll ever get.

Added by cretemixer on 04-04-2005

3.3/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served chilled in a traditional pint glass.

First lager I've had in awhile. Poured a light amber gold that was totally translucent being very filtered. Had a froathy ivory white head that faded to an inconsistent miniscule lace layer. The smells are consistent with a lager and are not very robust. Reminds me of one of my favorites, Golden Pheasant. There are smells of wheat, barley and corn. It is very smooth and has a longer lasting finish than most lagers. It was enjoyable, but far from anything special. There's only so much you can do with lagers, I understand that.

Enjoy!

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

3.84/5  rDev +2.7%

I really became a fan of craft beer because of going to school out in Indiana and having Three Floyd's available. I mostly bought it back then because of the packaging. Now I buy it because I know how damn good they are at brewing beer!

Gorch Fock is a German Style Helles Lager. I love seeing super geeky breweries attempt lager styles because I know that their big beer geek fans don't really care for the stuff. I think this is a great beer.

The yellow body is a little bit cloudy, the head does not sit very well, though a hard pour definitely creates some sudsy white foam. I am not entirely impressed with the appearance of this beer, as I think it could use more clearing up and some better head retention. On top of that, very lazy looking carbonation.

The smell is wet hay, cooked corn, and predominantly some grassy hops right up front. I expected 3 Floyd's to lean heavily on the hops and they do. I don't mind because it is definitely kept in check and not inappropriate for the style.

The taste is pretty much in line with what I expect from a good lager. Clean malt taste, backed by a supporting hop bitterness that rounds out smoothly. There is very minimal bite at the end, and I think this is a pretty approachable lager. Great aftertaste! They made good use of German ingredients, and it would be difficult to be able to tell that this came from an American craft brewery!

I think this beer cold use more carbonation for the style, and I think that while I like the smoother texture of the beer, the added effervescence would help carry this beer to a higher level.

Overall, good beer again. Not the best in its class, but a solid beer that I would be proud to call my own. It must be hard to try and recreate such a style that has been brewed by genius brewmasters in Europe for centuries. All in all, I don't think I would buy this beer again, though if I were at a bar and this were available, it would be something I would consider getting with friends.

4.3/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

the frosty head went away fairly quickly and left little lacing.

as someone who is not a fan of lagers in general this is what i expect when from one when i drink them. it is a clear, light golden brew with the perfect amount of carbonation for a zesty bite.

it smells like it tastes, crisp but not light or wimpy and just the perfect mouthfeel to encourage mass amounts of drinking which i did the first night we tapped it.

if i could buy this in six-packs i would keep more of this in the house during the summer.

3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

Bomber poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours a hazy golden yellow with a finger of soapy white head. Head dissipates quickly to almost nothing, maybe a string of white along the edge of the glass and one small patch of bubbles in the center, leaving no lacing. Active carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass initially after pour, but calms down a bit after a few minutes.

Nose is mainly biscuit malts, with a little caramel malt mixed in as well. Some light dank grassy aroma, but it is barely there compared to the malts.

A little more hop flavor on the tongue, grassy and floral on the tip of the tongue, but this is mainly biscuit and grain flavors from the malt. Finishes crisply and dry on the tongue, with some light lingering floral flavor. Very clean flavors though.

Light body with some good carbonation that is nice for this style. Very clean and easy to drink beer, with some decent flavor though I would have like a little more floral hopping on the nose and taste.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to Jeff for sharing this one.

A: The beer pours a fairly clear golden straw color with a couple fingers of white head.

S: A nice sweet malt aroma to this on the front end with a large pale malt presence. There's a bit of yeast and some grassy and floral hops. A very mild skunk followed by some fruity esters.

T: Like the aroma, sweet malt up front with a definite corn note. The flavor is primarily of pale malt with some sweet apple esters. Some light floral hop notes and a touch of yeast and bitterness.

M: Light in body with medium carbonation.

O: Thought this was a pretty solid lager. And you don't often find a well made Helles from a US brewery.

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%

22oz bottle poured into a flute
A: Straw color, thin head that lingers
S: Peach and malt.
T: Soft malts with little in the hop department. Light overall.
M: Light-bodied but clean and well balanced. All malt/grain.
O: Nice overall; I feel it could use a bit more in the hops department.

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a pale yellow color with one finger of head that had good retention. The head settles to a thick cap. Large amount of sticky lacing is left on the glass.

Pale malt dominates the aroma. Sort of a granary floor smell. A little grass/lemon from the hops.

Clean malty flavor. Cereal grains with a slightly musty edge. Seems perfectly balanced with the hops. The hops again adds the grass/lemon touch.

Good body and perfect carbonation. I do not know how a light lager could be done better.

I did not know Three Floyds could brew such a subtle, clean beer. They really showed their craftmenship with this beer.

Gorch Fock from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.