Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Moloko | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

MolokoMoloko

Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Availability: Summer

8.0% ABV, 30 IBUs - This Milk Stout is brewed with a portion of golden naked oats and lactose milk sugar to give it a rounded and full-bodied mouth feel. With a deep roasted and slightly sweet maltiness. August release.

Added by tjthresh on 08-23-2005

firstprev| 2001-2025 | 2026-2050 | 2051-2075  | next → last
Ratings: 2,068 |  Reviews: 536
4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

This was the 1st beer tonight of the 2nd week of West coast vs. Midwest Beers.

Split a bomber and poured into Bell's pint glasses with madorb in the comfort of my livingroom.

Now, I've had this beer on nitro, cask, and out of the bottle. I liked the nitro best, the cask was interesting and it's still great out of the bottle. Since we had it out of the bottle tonight I will review it as such.

A rough pour leaves a finger of chocolate milk colored head that dies down quickly. This beer is black with brown highlights.

The smell is amazing. Think chocolate milk, coconut, and mellow roasted malts.

The taste is right there. Lush and delicious. I taste chocolate, coffee, and malted milk. Maybe a little coconut or cocoa butter. Creamy, tempting mouthfeel. I never want this beer to end. Dangerously drinkable for a 7%abv or any beer for that matter.

Another great brew from Three Floyds.

3.94/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Jet balck and topped with a half inch, mocha colored head that faded into nothing for some reason. I cleaned the glass too.

S: Sweet, rather toasted chocolate and mild coffee bean.

T/MF: Smooth, but with a decent amount of carbonation to keep things lively and interesting. Good roasty malt bill, milky chocolate, smooth and creamy like it aught to be. It is really, really weird to drink a FFF and not be bombarded with hops.

D: I think I was just a bit let down by this beer. I went in expecting something different than what came out in the end. Not bad, just a bit one dimensional in my opinion.

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

A: REal black with very thin offwhite head that fades quickly and leaves the slightest amount of bubbles down the side of the glass.

S: Lot's of chocolate roaste malts and some coffee with a nice dose of vanilla milkiness. Some breadiness and a light amount of hop ctirus spice

T/M: Medium bodied and silky smooth, goes down really easy. tastes like a chocolate and espresso pudding. as it warms some slight cherry and butterscoth notes come out on the finish. Almost no perception of the alochol.

Drink: You could knock back wuite a bit of these which is a nice feat for a 7% stout.

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

Remember A Clockwork Orange?? Anyone want a Moloko? Heh...heh...
From the Russian word for "milk".
New release that I've been anxiously looking forward to. A 22oz bomber into my Duvel tulip.

A ~ My tall, vigorous pour unleashed a thick, opaque, murky, motor oil colored liquid with a characteristic dense, frothy milk chocolate colored stout head.
As the head compressed to a 1/4" it left a beaded, oily textured film on the sides of the glass. Sure looks like a Stout!

S ~ Sweet roasted malts, coffee, milk chocolate, fresh cherries? & a little smoke. There's a sweet & sour thing happening with little evidence of hops in the aroma.

T ~ Bittersweet chocolate, hot cocoa, dark roast coffee, chocolate covered cherries, sweet creamy malts,whole grain bread. There's an underlying "natural" sweetness (lactose??) Not too sweet. Slightly tart with the oats filling out the edges with a mildly sour, smokey finish. No bitterness to speak of....a little bit of that sweetness clings to the lips.

M ~ Creamy, smooth, full bodied. A silky, pudding like texture with medium carbonation.

D ~ Well balanced. Very pleasant & approachable. If Stouts or more specifically Milk Stouts are your preference this is a must try. An interesting detour from Three Floyds trademark hop profiles. I'm gonna pick up a few more before they're gone.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Had this from the brewery. Wow what a great treat. I really enjoyed this brew! It had a sweetness thats not often found in bottled milk stouts. I really liked the cocoa, mild coffee and malts. MMM!

I will get this as often as I can! I love it.

Overall, a great milk stout to get. I wonder if the bottles even compare?

3.63/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- black body with a very small beige head.

S- very roasty with a bit of sweet chocolate.

T- dark and roasty. a bit of sourness on at the end.

M- full bodied and creamy. very smooth

D- not my favorite three floyds beer, but something i enjoyed. glad i was able to pick this one up. wouldnt want more than one in a sitting.

4.17/5  rDev +1%

Pours nearly black with plenty of carbonation, but a thin head leading into a thick chunky ring of lacing.

Scent of coffee, roasted malts, molasses, chocolate, and vanilla. Not very complex or all that deep, but it matches the beer very well, not being too strong and having an excellent balance.

Taste of raisins, roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla and a hint of coffee. Aftertaste of roasted malts clings to the mouth finishing dry.

Mouthfeel is light and smooth, I like it.

4.23/5  rDev +2.4%

First of four beers I enjoyed while at 3 Floyd's,

A: A beautiful nitro pour. Tons of bubbles that built a head that any brewer would be proud of. Once settled down it's dark as night with a nice 2 finger espresso head that lasts and lasts. Lacing, yeah there is lacing. Sheet after sheet from top to bottom of the glass.

S: Nice malty sweetness. Milk chocolate, coffee, and a bit of vanilla. What a stout.

T: Wow wonderful milk stout. They should bottle this one. Starts with a nice malty chocolate taste. Milk chocolate baby. This is overtaken by coffee, and a hit of sweetened toffee. Finishes with a hint of bitterness which reminds me of espresso... Knowing this is a 3 Floyd's brew you know this is hops coming out.

M: Soooo creamy. Man this is stout heaven.

D: This one came in an imperial pint, but I wish they could put it in a bomber, hell I would drink this one by the growler.

Overall: I love a good milk stout and this is just that. Big on taste and aroma. It goes down so smooth, that you are begging for another. This is a 3 Floyd's masterpiece. Man do I love their brews.

3.73/5  rDev -9.7%

On tap at the Three Floyds Brewpub, on the nitro-tap. This stout poured a dark brown color with a thick, creamy tan head that lasted forever. The aroma of this stout was very faint roasted malts with some milk chocolate. The flavor was of soft milk chocolate and mild roasted chocolate malts. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied with a creamy, nitro carbonation. This stout had excellent balance, and the heavier alcohol was very well hidden behind the other flavors. Another excellent beer from Three Floyds!

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

On-tap at the brewpub, this milk stout pours black with some small ruby highlight and a thick milky head. Nice lace.

The aroma has some dim cocoa initially and some nice creamy mocha. An earthy bitter character in the nose.

The flavor is much more complex than many milk stouts I've had. Mild and creamy with a distinct thickness of roasted malt. A nice nuttiness, some earthy cocoa, and light coffee. Again one of the most flavorful examples of the style that I've had.

Big creamy mouthfeel with a thickness on the palate that is very appetizing and decadent. Low carbonation creates some of the heaviness. Really pleasing.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

A very dark opaque brown color with a small fleating tan head and some lacing. Smells somewhat of roasted nuts and smoke but mostly it was lactose and half & half that I got. Taste went the same way. A bit of a smokyness to it and a nutty base but it was just so strong in the lactose. Quite sweet, too sweet really. And I agree with Hobo, lots of vanilla seemed to be in here. Reminiscent of Mackeson but not quite as good from what I remember of Mackeson. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this and I would love to try it again. This was a Milk Stout to the extreme and I credit the brewers but I don't know if doing some styles to the extreme always works.

3.91/5  rDev -5.3%

Brought to me in a imperial pint glass. A decent sized brown head goes well with an almost oily liquid that is MOLOKO. With the right
color sceme of black with a few sienna highlights (thanks Crayola).
Smell was a dry, milky, vannilin zucker. Flavor was a good dry cream, but no acidity. Something I've unfavorably noticed in some cream stouts. Very smooth roasted malts silky swimming down my gullet.

3.28/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured black, could see some red around the edges, and had a thick tan head that laced the entire way down the glass. Smelled of vanilla, my un beery friend said it smelled like a fruit rollup. Taste was of roasty malts, some coffee and I thought, an intense vanilla. The sweetness was intense in this brew, and made me a little sick to my stomach. As good as I thought it was, I do not know if I can ever have another one again.

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Wow!

This pours nice and black. Not any head, perhaps from the growler.transfer. A continual ring regenerates itself as it sits. It laces a bit.

Smells sweet. I cheated - looked at the other reviews. I couldn't put my finger on it, but coconut does come to mind now that I see it mentioned.

Taste is very nice. Quite a bit of sweetness, as you would expect, but not too much. I do like sweet-slant beers, though, but this just seems to hit it right in the pocket because there are pine hops and dry hops balancing that out.

Mouthfeel is nice and creamy. Not watery at all.

Finish is very interesting. The creaminess goes down very sweet, and you pick up the bitter pine hop at the end of the finish. There is a hint of dryness too, and it really balances out the drink.

I love this drink. I hope some day I can find it in a bottle so it is more accessable. To the brewers: Job well done.

Update in April 2006: Now that the brewpub has been open for a while, Three floyds has discontinued putting many of their specialty beers in growlers. Please call first if you are expecting to fill a growler, I'd hate for you to make the trip and be disappointed. I still recommend the trip out there, the beers are great, but you will have to do your sampling on site.

Update in 2011: I've found bottles of this stuff in northwest indiana liquor stores. The bottles are just as good as the growler. As I sip, I can't believe it is an 8% brew. Talk about hiding the alcohol! I also noticed some cocoa in the nose, and, mmm - oop, it's gone now!

4.79/5  rDev +16%

I also sampled from the same growler, at the same time as Flip and dnrobert below. As per Flip's review, he says it lost nothing from tap to growler.

This was just a fricking unique beer. Very difficult for me to describe. I've never had another beer like it.

Coconut was definitely prominent. Very smooth, kinda... milky. Hint of smoke.

I dunno. Amazing beer, and many thanks to Flip for sharing at our private tasting...

4.56/5  rDev +10.4%

Thanks to Uncle Flip for the sampling. Because this is only served on tap, I will not attempt to suggest a great pairing (although the crunchy chocolate chip cookie I ate with it did go fantastically well--chocolate matching chocolate, and it really made the cookie taste buttery...but on with the review).

Color was black with bits of ruby showing through at the verrrry edges and a thin cocoa-colored head. I could not get much from smelling the beer, perhaps some sweet roastiness. But the taste was phenomenal and complex with toasted marshmallows, coconut milk, smoke, perhaps even a little dark chocolate coming through. This really is a sweet beverage. This was very easy to drink and felt nice on the palate. I would not hesitate to purchase this if it were available in bottles.

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Had this on tap at the brewery...but this review is written from a growler filled from said tap. [Growler was capped on 10.7.05, opened on 10.16.05. It was kept on ice from the time it was capped until it was opened, and showed no signs of deterioration. I have a bit left in the growler, and I have NO worries about it going past its prime before I drink it. :)]

It's a very dark brown- alomost opaque, but with some cola-coloured edging where the light gets through. This is topped by a dark tan head with bubbles at about medium size.

The smell is almost all coconut -but there's a hint of dark malt behind it. It gets good marks, as it's such a unique aroma for beer, but seems oddly hypnotic. This one grabs you from the first inhalation.

Wowsa! The flavour is quite smoky- yet also slightly sour, slightly coconutty, and not TOO roasted. Very nice stuff.

A low tight carbonation reveals a medium liquid. It's just *slightly* oily.

This one gets top marks on drinkability. Fabulous...very complex. It seems there's a new flavour at every sip. I'd really like to see FFF bottle this one. It's sad to know I may never have it again if they don't.

Be well
-UF

4.04/5  rDev -2.2%

On tap at the brewery. Milk chocolate and espresso aroma. Pitch black with fine brown head. Tastes like a chocolate malt. Very full bodied and sticky. Reminds me of a Irish Car Bomb. If you are not familiar, get a pint of stout, and drop a shot of Irish Cream in it, the chug. The difference is that I didn’t chug this, and it was much more enjoyable.

firstprev| 2001-2025 | 2026-2050 | 2051-2075  | next → last
Moloko from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.13 out of 5 with 2,068 ratings