Moloko

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
MolokoMoloko
Notes: 8.0% ABV, 30 IBUs - This Milk Stout is brewed with a portion of golden naked oats and lactose milk sugar to give it a rounded and full-bodied mouth feel. With a deep roasted and slightly sweet maltiness. August release.
Reviews: 552 | Ratings: 2,120
4.37/5  rDev +5.6%

22oz Bomber
$7.49
West Lakeview

Moloko dumps into a pint glass midnight black and actually swallows up the surrounding light. Even when this beer is backlit there's no sign of light through the body. The head grew to two creamy fingers of mocha colored foam before fading to a thin cap and solid collar. There's a spot or two of lace left here and there but not much.

There's a healthy dose of smooth roasty malts in the nose. The roastiness leads the way front to back but a deeper whiff brings out some dark ripe berriness with blackberries being the main culprit. There's enough lactic sugar sweetness to balance out the roast qualities. Slight booze spiciness and tobacco leaf float through ghost-like to add depth. The aroma on this beer pulls me right in.

Wow, this is a mighty fine milk stout! The roastiness jumps out big and although it fades slightly plays a big role in the flavor of this beer without ever becoming acrid. The lactic sugar plays a big role as well balancing out the smooth roastiness and when combined with the berriness reminds me of blackberries in cream. High cocoa content dark chocolate seems to coat the tongue and a couple drops of espresso mix in there as well. This is an excellent milk stout!

Moloko wraps its velvety self around your tongue and massages it all the way through. The body is dense but incredibly smooth with a mellow carbonation. There's a hint of heat on the finish. I couldn't ask for more then what the body of Moloko already offers.

This beer goes down entirely too fast. The alcohol ringing in at a higher then usual, for the style, 7% will catch up to you if you drink this as fast as you'd like.

This is the best milk stout I've had to date. To be totally honest I expected a quality beer but nothing like this. I picked up a couple of these for trades and only one for myself. I'll be off to the store tomorrow to remedy that problem. Pick this up if you see it!

3.86/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured into a tulip, black as night with a beige two fingered head Can't tell how carbonated by looking at the glass, but from the pour seems to be virtually non-fizzy. Some decent lacing from the head.

Chocolate coffee, and malts - a slight booziness that I might be confusing for raisin? Sweet and earthy.

Coffee and a bitter chocolate flavor, alcohol burn up front, a creamy smooth finish. Very malty, and really not as sweet as I would have guessed.

Thinner than I would have expected, still a little sticky. Pretty light feel for a moderately complex flavored stout. I anticipate drinking a few of these this winter.

Easy to drink, and like most stouts not too bubbly so it goes down kinda quick, definitely not a beer you need a fork and knife for.. Good balanced flavor for whats popular these days (coffee, chocolate, milk, oats). I really dig this one - not a session beer but a great to session with. I didn't expect much from this with the c'est super cool label (and I love the Three-Floyds labels) but this one turned out to be pretty good stuff.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Received in trade from bergands. Thanks dude, looking forward to this one!

A: Cola black with a nice showing of chocolate colored head that quickly disappears leaving only a thin ring of form around the edges. Looks to be slightly thick in body from the pour. Lacing is almost non existent. Also, someone else mentioned the label pisses them off...I really like it. Three Floyds art is always top notch.

S: Aroma is a combination of roasted oat and malts, molasses, coffee and a rich milk chocolate sweetness.

T: Very sweet for a stout, lots of milk chocolate flavor in this one. The roasted, coffee like flavors are slightly subdued. Bitterness is very low here. For the style this is an excellent example. I dig.

M: Feel is slightly watery, not as thick as I had expected. Carbonation is pretty low also making this a smooth and easy drink.

D: Great! A bit sweet (but personally not a bad thing for me), but other than that, this is definitely not a chore to drink. It's great tasting and goes down easy.

4.1/5  rDev -1%

Pours a decent 1 finger head with a dark brown color and decent retention that lasts 1/2 way down the glass.

Smell is of dark malts and an incredible amount of milk. There is a touch of caramel and toffee underneath as well.

Taste is very sweet. Milk chocolate sweetness. I can't stress the amount of milk in this beer. It really dominates and rounds out the beer. This beer is milky first with a chocolateyness undertone. Hop bitterness is faint and just provides a floral balance.

The milk makes the mouthfeel very creamy. However, the milkyness does cling to the palate a lot and I probably won't be able to review any more after this beer. This beer is very drinkable if you like milk stouts. The milk is very much there.

Thanks to David Eddie for the sample.

4.23/5  rDev +2.2%

Hey hey, this is a good beer! Pours a good, deep black and yields almost no head. Smells of subtle chocolate and roasted malt. One whiff and you know this is a well balanced brew. This tastes excellent. Nice, sweet chocolaty tongue with just a hint of bitterness. mouthfeel is a little light but leaves no aftertaste and is very well rounded. Easily drinkable. It's so nice to share with a friend....if you can!

4.37/5  rDev +5.6%

This is probably the best milk stout I have ever had. In fact, I was not a fan of milk stouts until I had the Moloko Plus. It starts with a great creamy taste that coats your mouth and makes you feel warm inside.

What this beer has that most other milk stouts don't have is a strong finish. It's not watery at all, so the nice creamy taste you get up front lasts throughout the aftertaste and you not left hanging.

Overall, great malt character and excellent finish.

On a sad note, I believe this beer is replacing the Alpha Kong, which was one of my favorite beers, despite the price. The Moloko had big shoes to fill, and although it did not fill them, it is still a respectable effort.

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%

Review #300

Picked up a bottle of this from Binnys in Buffalo Grove. I'm not the hugest fan of Milk Stouts so we'll see about this one. Maybe the ugliest bottle I've ever seen. Three Floyds labels are usually really cool but this one bugs the shit out of me. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip.

Appearance- Pours a velvety smooth black that couldn't possibly be any blacker. Nice soft sandy brown half finger head that recedes fairly quickly leaving a thick feathery collar and some lacing about ¼ inch above the collar.
Smell- Loads of lightly sweet milk chocolate with hints of bitter baker's chocolate at times. Lighty creamy with hints of dark roasted coffee. Plenty of highly kilned malts are more than plentiful. A tinge of citrus hops cuts through all the earthy grains to remind you this is FFF.
Taste- Those kilned malts kick my throat immediately with a big rush of roasted goodness. The sweetness is very subtle but it's present mostly in the form of milk chocolate and vanilla soy. Some light berries add a bit of contrasting bitterness but this isn't as hoppy as I was expecting. Leaves a lingering vanilla nuttiness.
Mouthfeel- Smooth and creamy with a heavy whipping cream like feel with very light carbonation.
Drinkability- Well usually when I review a beer about ½ to ¾ of my beer is gone when I finish my review. My entire first glass is gone and about ½ of my second is as well. So I'm going to say drinkability is pretty good. I'm glad this brew isn't overly sweet and it drinks nicely. Another winner from 3 Floyds!

4.52/5  rDev +9.2%

Picked up a bomber of this at Binny's South loop and poured it into a pint glass.

A: Midnight black with a chocolaty brown thin head, which actually sticks around. Looks so smooth...

S: Stong chocolate smell, with almost a caramel note to it. A little bit of Hops, which I would expect from FFF. Coffee and vanilla notes as well.

T/MF: Just awesome. Like velvet on the tongue. Creamy dark chocolate flavors, malted milk, coffee, with a little sweetness to it. Sour finish, but works well.

D: At 7% for a stout of this quality, it really could convince this IPA fan to switch over to stouts.

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle purchased from my reliable supplier of fine midwestern beers, Randy at Archer Liquors.

Appearance: pitch black body with brown/tan head. After the fizz subsides there's still significant bubbleage swirling around in my glass.

Smell: creamy, chocolaty, roasted notes.

T/M: Mmmm, delicious. The mouthfeel is dead on for the style - significant carbonation and medium body perfectly compliment the smooth, creamy, sweet, vanilla, coffee taste. Thank goodness I'm not getting any of the sour notes others have remarked upon.

Drinkability: Highly downable. I will be sad when I finish this bottle, and wishing that Three Floyds would expand its distribution.

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

This was the 1st beer tonight of the 2nd week of West coast vs. Midwest Beers.

Split a bomber and poured into Bell's pint glasses with madorb in the comfort of my livingroom.

Now, I've had this beer on nitro, cask, and out of the bottle. I liked the nitro best, the cask was interesting and it's still great out of the bottle. Since we had it out of the bottle tonight I will review it as such.

A rough pour leaves a finger of chocolate milk colored head that dies down quickly. This beer is black with brown highlights.

The smell is amazing. Think chocolate milk, coconut, and mellow roasted malts.

The taste is right there. Lush and delicious. I taste chocolate, coffee, and malted milk. Maybe a little coconut or cocoa butter. Creamy, tempting mouthfeel. I never want this beer to end. Dangerously drinkable for a 7%abv or any beer for that matter.

Another great brew from Three Floyds.

3.94/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Jet balck and topped with a half inch, mocha colored head that faded into nothing for some reason. I cleaned the glass too.

S: Sweet, rather toasted chocolate and mild coffee bean.

T/MF: Smooth, but with a decent amount of carbonation to keep things lively and interesting. Good roasty malt bill, milky chocolate, smooth and creamy like it aught to be. It is really, really weird to drink a FFF and not be bombarded with hops.

D: I think I was just a bit let down by this beer. I went in expecting something different than what came out in the end. Not bad, just a bit one dimensional in my opinion.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

A: REal black with very thin offwhite head that fades quickly and leaves the slightest amount of bubbles down the side of the glass.

S: Lot's of chocolate roaste malts and some coffee with a nice dose of vanilla milkiness. Some breadiness and a light amount of hop ctirus spice

T/M: Medium bodied and silky smooth, goes down really easy. tastes like a chocolate and espresso pudding. as it warms some slight cherry and butterscoth notes come out on the finish. Almost no perception of the alochol.

Drink: You could knock back wuite a bit of these which is a nice feat for a 7% stout.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Remember A Clockwork Orange?? Anyone want a Moloko? Heh...heh...
From the Russian word for "milk".
New release that I've been anxiously looking forward to. A 22oz bomber into my Duvel tulip.

A ~ My tall, vigorous pour unleashed a thick, opaque, murky, motor oil colored liquid with a characteristic dense, frothy milk chocolate colored stout head.
As the head compressed to a 1/4" it left a beaded, oily textured film on the sides of the glass. Sure looks like a Stout!

S ~ Sweet roasted malts, coffee, milk chocolate, fresh cherries? & a little smoke. There's a sweet & sour thing happening with little evidence of hops in the aroma.

T ~ Bittersweet chocolate, hot cocoa, dark roast coffee, chocolate covered cherries, sweet creamy malts,whole grain bread. There's an underlying "natural" sweetness (lactose??) Not too sweet. Slightly tart with the oats filling out the edges with a mildly sour, smokey finish. No bitterness to speak of....a little bit of that sweetness clings to the lips.

M ~ Creamy, smooth, full bodied. A silky, pudding like texture with medium carbonation.

D ~ Well balanced. Very pleasant & approachable. If Stouts or more specifically Milk Stouts are your preference this is a must try. An interesting detour from Three Floyds trademark hop profiles. I'm gonna pick up a few more before they're gone.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Had this from the brewery. Wow what a great treat. I really enjoyed this brew! It had a sweetness thats not often found in bottled milk stouts. I really liked the cocoa, mild coffee and malts. MMM!

I will get this as often as I can! I love it.

Overall, a great milk stout to get. I wonder if the bottles even compare?

3.63/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- black body with a very small beige head.

S- very roasty with a bit of sweet chocolate.

T- dark and roasty. a bit of sourness on at the end.

M- full bodied and creamy. very smooth

D- not my favorite three floyds beer, but something i enjoyed. glad i was able to pick this one up. wouldnt want more than one in a sitting.

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours nearly black with plenty of carbonation, but a thin head leading into a thick chunky ring of lacing.

Scent of coffee, roasted malts, molasses, chocolate, and vanilla. Not very complex or all that deep, but it matches the beer very well, not being too strong and having an excellent balance.

Taste of raisins, roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla and a hint of coffee. Aftertaste of roasted malts clings to the mouth finishing dry.

Mouthfeel is light and smooth, I like it.

4.23/5  rDev +2.2%

First of four beers I enjoyed while at 3 Floyd's,

A: A beautiful nitro pour. Tons of bubbles that built a head that any brewer would be proud of. Once settled down it's dark as night with a nice 2 finger espresso head that lasts and lasts. Lacing, yeah there is lacing. Sheet after sheet from top to bottom of the glass.

S: Nice malty sweetness. Milk chocolate, coffee, and a bit of vanilla. What a stout.

T: Wow wonderful milk stout. They should bottle this one. Starts with a nice malty chocolate taste. Milk chocolate baby. This is overtaken by coffee, and a hit of sweetened toffee. Finishes with a hint of bitterness which reminds me of espresso... Knowing this is a 3 Floyd's brew you know this is hops coming out.

M: Soooo creamy. Man this is stout heaven.

D: This one came in an imperial pint, but I wish they could put it in a bomber, hell I would drink this one by the growler.

Overall: I love a good milk stout and this is just that. Big on taste and aroma. It goes down so smooth, that you are begging for another. This is a 3 Floyd's masterpiece. Man do I love their brews.

3.73/5  rDev -9.9%

On tap at the Three Floyds Brewpub, on the nitro-tap. This stout poured a dark brown color with a thick, creamy tan head that lasted forever. The aroma of this stout was very faint roasted malts with some milk chocolate. The flavor was of soft milk chocolate and mild roasted chocolate malts. The mouthfeel was medium-bodied with a creamy, nitro carbonation. This stout had excellent balance, and the heavier alcohol was very well hidden behind the other flavors. Another excellent beer from Three Floyds!

4.43/5  rDev +7%

On-tap at the brewpub, this milk stout pours black with some small ruby highlight and a thick milky head. Nice lace.

The aroma has some dim cocoa initially and some nice creamy mocha. An earthy bitter character in the nose.

The flavor is much more complex than many milk stouts I've had. Mild and creamy with a distinct thickness of roasted malt. A nice nuttiness, some earthy cocoa, and light coffee. Again one of the most flavorful examples of the style that I've had.

Big creamy mouthfeel with a thickness on the palate that is very appetizing and decadent. Low carbonation creates some of the heaviness. Really pleasing.

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

A very dark opaque brown color with a small fleating tan head and some lacing. Smells somewhat of roasted nuts and smoke but mostly it was lactose and half & half that I got. Taste went the same way. A bit of a smokyness to it and a nutty base but it was just so strong in the lactose. Quite sweet, too sweet really. And I agree with Hobo, lots of vanilla seemed to be in here. Reminiscent of Mackeson but not quite as good from what I remember of Mackeson. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this and I would love to try it again. This was a Milk Stout to the extreme and I credit the brewers but I don't know if doing some styles to the extreme always works.

3.91/5  rDev -5.6%

Brought to me in a imperial pint glass. A decent sized brown head goes well with an almost oily liquid that is MOLOKO. With the right
color sceme of black with a few sienna highlights (thanks Crayola).
Smell was a dry, milky, vannilin zucker. Flavor was a good dry cream, but no acidity. Something I've unfavorably noticed in some cream stouts. Very smooth roasted malts silky swimming down my gullet.

3.28/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured black, could see some red around the edges, and had a thick tan head that laced the entire way down the glass. Smelled of vanilla, my un beery friend said it smelled like a fruit rollup. Taste was of roasty malts, some coffee and I thought, an intense vanilla. The sweetness was intense in this brew, and made me a little sick to my stomach. As good as I thought it was, I do not know if I can ever have another one again.

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Wow!

This pours nice and black. Not any head, perhaps from the growler.transfer. A continual ring regenerates itself as it sits. It laces a bit.

Smells sweet. I cheated - looked at the other reviews. I couldn't put my finger on it, but coconut does come to mind now that I see it mentioned.

Taste is very nice. Quite a bit of sweetness, as you would expect, but not too much. I do like sweet-slant beers, though, but this just seems to hit it right in the pocket because there are pine hops and dry hops balancing that out.

Mouthfeel is nice and creamy. Not watery at all.

Finish is very interesting. The creaminess goes down very sweet, and you pick up the bitter pine hop at the end of the finish. There is a hint of dryness too, and it really balances out the drink.

I love this drink. I hope some day I can find it in a bottle so it is more accessable. To the brewers: Job well done.

Update in April 2006: Now that the brewpub has been open for a while, Three floyds has discontinued putting many of their specialty beers in growlers. Please call first if you are expecting to fill a growler, I'd hate for you to make the trip and be disappointed. I still recommend the trip out there, the beers are great, but you will have to do your sampling on site.

Update in 2011: I've found bottles of this stuff in northwest indiana liquor stores. The bottles are just as good as the growler. As I sip, I can't believe it is an 8% brew. Talk about hiding the alcohol! I also noticed some cocoa in the nose, and, mmm - oop, it's gone now!

4.79/5  rDev +15.7%

I also sampled from the same growler, at the same time as Flip and dnrobert below. As per Flip's review, he says it lost nothing from tap to growler.

This was just a fricking unique beer. Very difficult for me to describe. I've never had another beer like it.

Coconut was definitely prominent. Very smooth, kinda... milky. Hint of smoke.

I dunno. Amazing beer, and many thanks to Flip for sharing at our private tasting...

4.56/5  rDev +10.1%

Thanks to Uncle Flip for the sampling. Because this is only served on tap, I will not attempt to suggest a great pairing (although the crunchy chocolate chip cookie I ate with it did go fantastically well--chocolate matching chocolate, and it really made the cookie taste buttery...but on with the review).

Color was black with bits of ruby showing through at the verrrry edges and a thin cocoa-colored head. I could not get much from smelling the beer, perhaps some sweet roastiness. But the taste was phenomenal and complex with toasted marshmallows, coconut milk, smoke, perhaps even a little dark chocolate coming through. This really is a sweet beverage. This was very easy to drink and felt nice on the palate. I would not hesitate to purchase this if it were available in bottles.

Moloko from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 92 out of 100 with 2120 ratings