Broo Doo | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Broo DooBroo Doo

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

This beer is brewed during the hop harvest with a portion of unkilned or “wet” hops fresh off the vine. Apricot in color, Broo Doo’s nose has dominant orange, pine sap and floral notes, balanced by a glazed nut and toffee malt body. This celebration of the hop harvest has intense tropical fruit, citrus and spicy accents that showcase the complexity of the hops we all love.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-19-2006

Ratings: 1,897 |  Reviews: 479
4.89/5  rDev +15.9%

Pours an opaque peach color. The head is a bright white, finger thick of different sized bubbles. Retention is slight, and a slight lace is left behind.

The smell is out of this world. The wet hopped beers you can smell from across the room and this is no different. Amazing citrus smell, pineapple. Slight orange peel and pine. Faint malt scent hides in the background.

The taste is as good as the smell. Really, as good a tasting IPA as I can think of. Extremely hop forward, but with what I'm guessing are Cascade hops, it's the way to go. Pine and citrus flirt with the taste buds. Just enough malt and yeast to keep the hops in check.

For an IPA, it's extremely soft on the palate. A split second of sweet followed by high, but quality bitterness. The bitterness lasts into the swallow, but is welcome and never overpowering. Resiny pine coats the tongue and never lets go.

Overall, it's as good an IPA as there is. Sure, it's bitter, but it's supposed to be...however, it's bitter just the way it supposed to be and that makes it an amazing beer overall. I accidentally bought a second bottle by mistake...so glad I did.

4.87/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Found this gem at a local liquor store, pours a cloudy gold. Smells sweet and fruity. Accents of fruit on the palate and bitter but doesn't seem 80 Ibu bitter. Finishes smooth. I love this beer, plan on putting a bottle away for later.

4.86/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A bright beacon of the harvest: redolent of green fields—candied by some alchemy, and leaning autumnal in the sunshine of fast-shortening afternoons—punctuated by strange, almost alien expressions of lemon-blossoms and lemongrass. Its nose spurts fresh dry-hopping, which pairs phenomenally with the medium-bodied by extraordinarily clean mouth; meanwhile the malts are pale-orange and juicy in their turbid potency.

Really, this is one of my favorite ales: extremely sessionable, stickily juicy, wonderfully expressive, and all-around excellent.

4.84/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from bottle into imperial pint glass. Half inch of white head, great lacing, bright orange/golden in color. Smell is soft fruits, apricots and peaches. Very mild. This one is exploding with amarillo hops. Taste is an intense leafy apricot and peach, green figs, light malts in back ground. Not very sweet. The fresh hops are incredible - smells very fresh. No alcohol in taste. Moderate carbonation and medium light mouthfeel. Not overly dry, but not sweet either. With this kind of taste, how could it not be a 5 in drinkability? I have had this in the past and i dont know if this is a better batch or fresher. Either way i think this one needs to be drank as fresh as possible.

4.84/5  rDev +14.7%

Thanks to my brother for driving this one out to me from Indiana.

Served from a 22oz bomber in my trusty SABL glass at between fridge and cellar temperature.

A - Gluggy, viscous, tarnished gold color with a slow-motion upward carbonation push to form the proud, marshmallowy off-white head. Head retention is OK, and lacing is good, although not as pervasive as I would have hoped.

S - Step 1 - Take a handful of Amarillo hops, straight from the vine. Step 2 - Place said hops in a strainer bag in an industrial vise. Step 3 - Place cup beneath said vise. Step 4 - Tighten vise completely. Step 5 - Sniff the few droplets of hop juice that fall into the cup. Ta da! Oh, that and a bit of sweet, lightly toasted malts.

T - Thankfully, it's not as sweet as it smells. The front of the tongue picks up a light sweetness that's accentuated by the floral characteristics of the hops. The middle brings forth more of the citrusy notes while the malts start to subside. In the back of the throat, bitter is king, as the malts seem to drop off completely. Swallow is medium dry and definitely bitter, but oddly enough, the mild sweetness found in the front seems to triumphantly reemerge, bringing the taste profile full circle. Very very nice.

M - Just a hair lighter than "syrupy" would describe, and oily slick from the hops. Carbonation is spot-on, with a light tingle that dares the hops to do a better job of numbing the tongue. Swallow is the wash of seafoamy hopjuice ocean.

D - Yummy. Which equals drinkability. This, to me, seems to be like Alpha King, but with a fresher hop profile, and a slightly tamer carbonation and acidity. For my money, I'd venture to say I like it better, even though it's harder to find, especially in a hop-recession year. Yea me!

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: cloudy peach gold with a thick finger sized head on top.

Smell: Hops, almost a type of hops I've never smelled before. Almost like a fruit version of a hop. It's light and pleasant.

Taste: many layers to describe. First there is the crisp malt flavor, mild bitterness, hops and this weird chocolate flavor that looms over the tasting. Ends with this...peanut flavor. Best IPA I've ever had.

The one thing I hate about Three Floyds, is that there is never enough. Binny's is sold out most of the time and now the local liquor store I buy Three Floyds at has closed. fml.

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%

I wish I had access this beer on a daily basis, but, unfortunately, I live down here in Tn. so I have to drive to Indiana to get this. That sucks but what are you going to do?

This is one of the finest IPAs that I've ever had the privilege to drink. I now see what all of the fuss is about.

Very crisp hoppy aroma to this. Very fresh hops in the aroma and a taste to match. Extremely hoppy but yet very balanced.

I absolutely loved this.

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Imbibed at the FFF Brewpub 10/12/2010.

Appearance -- Pours a burnt orange hue with golden highlights and two fingers of sudsy white head. Nice lacing. A little bit more head retention would've made this a 5. Still, phenomenal.

Smell -- Massive citrus hop aroma with fresh cut lemon, grapefruit, and tangerine. Tropical fruitiness is also in the mix, but citrus dominates. Reminiscent of a wet-nap, actually. Mild caramel sweetness also in the mix. Only quip - wish it was more aromatic, that there was more of this intoxicating hop aroma go imbibe. A pretty forgivable failing.

Taste -- Bright, juicy citrus hop flavor dominates all over the place - lemon/lime, grapefruit, tangerine; again, reminiscent of the smell of a wet-nap. Hop bitterness is pronounced, but not bracing. Caramel malt back lends brightness to the citrus notes and keeps the bitterness in balance - nowhere near malty. Long grapefruit pith finish. Excellent.

Mouthfeel -- A hair fuller than medium-bodied with an abundance of fine prickly carbonation.

Drinkability -- It probably helped that I had this harvest IPA within a week after bottling and straight from he source, but it's still heads and shoulders over every other IPA I've had to date. FFF never disappoints in the hops department, and this is certainly no exception.

thanks lingtindarkness for this

appearance- poured a nice amber/orange with a thick fluffy 1" head

Smell- nice fresh hops with pine grapefruit and some caramel sweetness

taste- nice fresh hop taste with grapefruit and orange. also getting some tropical fruit as well. mabey pineapple.

mouthfeel- medium body with good carbonation

drinkability- one of the best american ipa's i have had. i will seek this one out again and again and again.

4.77/5  rDev +13%

Saw this out of the corner of my eye at the store today and picked up every bomber I could get my hands on.

Pours clear and dark, looks like it could represent the wikipedia photo for an IPA, at least initally before the head starts to fade off a bit. Otherwise a solid, cherry soaked, oak.

This beer smells like almost every well-hopped Three Floyds beer I've tried (with the exception to Dreadnaught). I'm guessing the hops being displayed most prominently here are Amarillo because this beer smells a lot like Gumballhead, it's a little earthier, but has a lot of the same characteristics. After I take the first sip and the beer has coated my tongue, the beer smells like orange juice.

Vinious, piney, now it tastes nothing like Gumballhead and more like Dreadnaught-lite, which is to say, pretty awesome. It feels as though this beer came from the cask rather than the bottle, the carbonation is on the lighter side and feels very smooth, but not insubstantial on the tongue. I'd say that this is a pretty understated beer, it displays a lot of subtle character that I won't go to deeply into, sufice to say that each sip brings something new to the table. Pine and nuttiness here on minute, grapefruit, honey and orange juice in another. I am trying to think of a way that this beer could be improved upon in the taste department, but so far I'm coming up empty, this beer would be near impossible to improve upon and at 5.50% it's damn near sessionable for a FFF beer.

4.77/5  rDev +13%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a tulip glass

A - Golden with tangerine hues and one and a half fingers of head.

S - Sweet grapefruit, light pine, some passion fruit, orange, lots of citrus, something that smells like Fuggles hops. Very nice and refreshing.

T - Resiny bitterness and citrus which quickly gives way to a malty sweetness, almost honey-like, and then a bit of bitterness on the backend. This doesn't seem like a 7.0% beer. Tasty.

M - Medium. After a few sips I can already feel my saliva getting thicker but it probably won't bother too many other people.

D - One bomber bottle is enough, I think, but this is so tasty I think I could polish off another one.

Overall a really great offering from Three Floyd's. Delicious, great aroma, the only thing that bugs me is the mouthfeel a bit but I think that's more of a personal issue I have with IPAs, APAs, and any other thick, bitter beers. Don't let that stop you from trying it though.

4.77/5  rDev +13%

A: orange copper color. thick off white head that leaves lacing all over. I can't wait to dig in.

S: Dank pine with juicy grapefruit smack me in the face.

T: Slight bitter grapefruit hits me first. Kind of lingers in the middle and finishes sweet.

M: Nice carbonation. Medium body.

O: First FFF brew I've ever had. It's very tasty, and I can only imagine what their other brews taste like!

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Broo Doo from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.