BBADL (Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout)
3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Wants
Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Notes: Dark Lord aged in bourbon barrels for one year. Recently has used a blend of barrels from Heaven Hill, but has also been Woodford Reserve and others in the past

Formerly known as Oak Aged Dark Lord.
Reviews: 212 | Ratings: 936 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by deekyn:

4.64/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

22oz bottle into a snifter
Vintage 2012
#68/688

650th BA rating, 630th BA review, and #96 out of the top 100 that I began ticking away at a few years ago. Only 4 more to go!

A big thanks to rjjhoffman for sending this long time want over in a trade.

A: Opaque black with some browning on the edges and 1 fingers width of mocha colored head. Head dissipates down quickly and leaves essentially no lacing, but some alcohol legs. 4.25

S: Lots of sweetness, lots of booze, and big barrel notes. Chocolate fudge, fusel ethanol, subtle dark fruits. Barrel notes include a fairly big bourbon charred oak, and a peat like character. Lots going on, and very nice. A bit too boozy perhaps. 4.5

T: Huge sweetness, particularly upfront. Its a sugary, syrup sweetness, which would be a bit much, but it fades quickly and nicely into some absolutely wonderful flavors or charred oak, roasted malt and chocolate. Tons of bourbon barrel notes, which complement the otherwise cloying sweetness of regular Dark Lord. Some boozy ethanol to round out for palate profile. Its simply fantastic. 4.75

M/D: Full bodied, carbonation very low which is appropriate, its smooth but is a bit syrupy, ABV is noticeable but its not hot. Drinkability is good, all things considered. 4.5

O: Overall, this is a great beer. I can confidently say that I’ve never had a beer which was so significantly improved by barrel aging. I am not a big fan of regular Dark Lord, but the Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord is wonderful. Definitely worth seeking out. Looking forward to someday landing a BVDL for comparison. Merry Christmas! 4.75

4.51/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Ben for sharing this. Incredibly sweet and fruity from the nose to the taste. It does go overboard on the sweetness, but the fruit character is amazing. It has all the dark fruit normally associated with imperial stout like raisins and especially figs, but it goes beyond that to blend in brighter fruit flavors like apple and cherry that really make it pop. I checked the bottle to make sure this was the bourbon version and not Portuguese brandy. All of that fruit shows in the slight reddish hue of the pour and blends perfectly with the chocolate and molasses flavors. This never gets tart and you never feel like the fruit is taking the place of other stout flavors. I don't get a lot of barrel character or bourbon and the booze is barely noticeable considering the abv. The mouth feel is full but super smooth at the same time. I wish it had more barrel character and less sweetness, but it's so rich and smooth and full of complex fruit flavors.

4.78/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I had a few of these at the Dark Lord event on Saturday. Pretty fantastic beer - very sweet and heavy on the bourbon. In general, I believe that 3-Floyds is over-hyped because of their awesome marketing and limited production/distribution, but I think this one has earned it's grade.

4.2/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2012. Heavy booze, sweet Dark Lord balanced by some nice roast in both the nose and the flavor. Vanilla, marshmallow, some oak in the taste. Probably the best part of this beer is the near motor oil mouthfeel. Very enjoyable! Thanks, Frank.

4.41/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2017 - Green Wax

A- Black with light brown head
S- Standard dark lord smell - dark fruits, sugar, bit of coffee ... where is the bourbon?
T- Just a bit smoother than standard dark lord and a bit less sweet, but still has many of the standard dark lord notes. Wish I could taste the bourbon more
F- THICK
O- Good, but not a ton of bourbon

4.95/5  rDev +7.4%

My sweet little cup of joy. I saw one of the barrels (a Woodford Reserve barrel! YAY!) at FFF in October, and was nearly in tears, knowing I'd never get to try it. I live in Alabama, and can't just hop on up to the brewpub when something special is on tap....so I was overjoyed to hear it was in the lineup for DLD. Oh JOY!

I forked over my cash, and got my lil' plastic cup. dangit! Spilled a bit on my hand. Never before has my own hand been so lickable. Syrupy, sticky when it dried....oh, a beer-pop would be heaven now.

But seriously....thick black, some slight cola fringe around it, and a deep bronze head that seemes a bit thin, but is adequate...sort of like my brain cells.

On the nose, the bourbon hits right up frount- a nice round, not too sharp bourbon at that. Sweet, dark maltiness follows.

The flavour is paradisal to my humble tongue. Once more, the bourbon up front. Nice and thick and sweet, it almost instantly shuts off and is replaced by coffee and bittersweet chocolate. The bourbon hits again at the end, along with a mellow bitterness.

On the mouth, it's velvety and a little oily all at once- nice and thick, with very little apparent carbonation. Just the way I like it.. ;)

Drinakble? Understatement. If I could have this one on tap all the time, I'd be dead now.

Be well
-UF

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.69/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the beer that brought me back to Dark Lord. So thick and smooth with amazing barrel notes on both the palate and nose. Will definitely be seeking this out again

4.45/5  rDev -3.5%

I had this on tap at DLD 2008. The beer was massive in every way, especially mouthfeel (like the standard Dark Lord). This beer is rich, so full of flavor and so filling, it's an experience which is hard to describe. Oily black beer, thick enough that it almost feels like solid chocolate cake, complete annihilation of the senses in terms of aroma, flavor, and presence. I couldn't really detect any oak flavors, probably because subtle nuances like that are hard to separate from the overkill of flavors.

Probably you can only find this at special festivals (such as DLD), but I recommend you try it if you have the opportunity.

4.87/5  rDev +5.6%

A 10-12oz sample poured into a little clear plastic cup amongst about 9000 people waiting in line. I was too late to get any VBDL, but was very excited to get to try this one. Appearance is definitive Dark Lord, a small dark tan head. The nose on this one is awesome. Oak and bourbon up front, with dark lord sweetness behind. Chocolate and dark fruit. The taste follows the smell and really delivers. The barrel comes through strong with bourbon and vanilla. The oak really smooths out all of the complex dark lord flavors. Coating and thick mouthfeel, that lingers until you can have another sip. Dark Lord is an incredible beer, but this is an unbelievable beer. One of the best beers I've had the pleasure of having. Can't wait until next year.

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

I had the pleasure of having this on tap at the FFF brewpub on DLD, and immediately after having a DLVB, and this was better.
A-Black, nuff said there. Out of the tap and "rested" there was no head or lacing to comment on.
S-Rich and complex with bourbon, roasted malts, oak and chocolate aromas with hints of vanilla and dark fruits.
T-If someone made a mocha flavored bourbon, it would taste like this. Very, very nice and the flavors linger and remind you why this beer is so highly rated.
M-Creamy, thick and low carbonation.
D-Excellent beer and one of my all time favorites. Well worth the wait and deserving of the hype.

4.64/5  rDev +0.7%

I promised not to review anything from Dark Lord Day. There was too much happening. This is my one exception. I had glass after glass because several people kept saying wow that it too hot for me here you want to finish mine. Oh my God what were they thinking. This was the most easy drinking whiskey I have ever had. It is certainly closer to bourbon than to beer. The beer seemed much higher than 13% ABV to me but the hot alcohol had the softness of a 10 - 20 year old bourbon. WOW! Everyone who has been to my house knows that Woodford Reserve is my favorite go-to Bourbon. I am not makin this up for the sake of this review. I always have it on hand. Wouldn’t you know, the wonderful geniuses at Three Floyds that hand crafted this beer JUST FOR ME, picked my regular bourbon for aging this beer. Yes, This is Dark Lord, aged for a year in none other than Woodford Reserve Bourbon Barrels. Oh my God! I just about passed out this was so freaking good. I went week in the knees and I was not drunk.

Appearance: When I received this beer in a plastic cup there was no head on it. I poured it into my snifter glass and it stirred up very little head but in the glass it did showcase a nice tan head. Several times through drinking this beer various friend emptied there plastic cups into my snifter each time revitalizing a tiny bit of head in this otherwise murky black body.

Smell: Everything I love about bourbon and more flooded my nose. Rich scent of various woods, just like the Woodford Reserve I makes me think of my freshly moistened humidor. Dark roasted malts and barley, black coffer and thick bitter sweet chocolate and of course a wallop of vanilla oak bourbon flavors.

Taste: The biggest complaint people had on this hot day was the beer is too much like bourbon. If that is the biggest gripe, then gripe on my friends. I LOVE IT! This is absolutely everything I could ever want in a drink. It is the best of both world. It is what I love about two different drinks met in one glass. Yes the alcohol does not hide. So you sip the beer like you would any other liquor. It takes drinking it differently than a more “typical” beer but it is certainly worth it. The dark chocolate malts and fruits blend right into the woody vanilla oak and somehow it creates what feels like very layers of flavors and leaves your mouth with the feel of bourbon on the tongue and throat and face.

Mouthfeel: The swallow is very hot but the massive rich oily smooth feel coats every inch of your mouth and then some. I can feel the hot alcohol and warm boozy black grains making my face go numb as works its way from my tongue to my cheeks, my tonsils and up through my sinuses until my whole face seems to going flush enjoying the magnificence that this masterpiece exudes.

Drinkability: When I sit down with my favorite liquor I don’t start just putting them back one after another. Drinkability is the duration for which I can enjoy that drink. I would take it slowly, but I could enjoy this dink all day long.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Outstanding. Huge improvement over the base. Bourbon is very present but not overly sweet. Mouthfeel is right on. This was a huge surprise and well worth trying once.

4.52/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.42/5  rDev -4.1%

sampled on tap at the brewpub on dark lord day 2007.

pours deep inky black with a small very fine dense brown head. drops very fast to a ring around the glass. no lace.

aroma is nice. the first thing that hits is a blast of orangey citrus. alcohol. oak and vanilla. dark chocolate. huge bready malt. bourbon.

taste is good. tons of orange and tangerine. alcohol. bittersweet chocolate. bready malt. bit of vanilla. light alcohol. medium bitterness level.

mouthfeel is good. super smooth. light carbonation. full bodied but without feeling thick.

drinkability is great. smooth. the alcohol is dangerously well hidden. you really only feel the warmth on the way down.

4.8/5  rDev +4.1%

I actually enjoyed this beer today at the brewpub. They still had one keg left when they opened this morning. The menu said that it was 2010 DL aged for one year in Heaven Hill bourbon barrels. The nose was of sweet chocolate, vanilla, and light bourbon. The vanilla and bourbon were predominant but neither was overpowering. The flavors were nice and superbly well meshed. The chocolate and bourbon finished quite well together. It was exceptionally smooth, perfect in body. This beer was fantastic.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

BBADL (Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout) from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 100 out of 100 with 936 ratings