Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial StoutBourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout
4.56/5
World-Class

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Dark Lord aged in bourbon barrels for one year. Recently has used a blend of barrels from Heaven Hill, but has also been Woodford Reserve and others in the past

Formerly known as Oak Aged Dark Lord.

Added by mcallister on 04-29-2006

#79

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%

4.26/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle 134/420? from '12 in to a Goose Island Glass

A- Dark brown. Lacing is sticky. When I bob the glass left and right, the lacing sticks. Good retention.

S- Bourbon, dark fruit/fig, molasses, light woody oak hint in the back. I am getting soy sauce in this too. ha

T- This has more of the base beer character than the vanilla. Very sweet, almost comes off as rum because of the sweet base beer. I know that people say that the ba DL's shed their sweet DL characteristics. I am not getting that much here. I enjoyed vanilla a lot more. I am getting a lot of that sweet soy characteristic.

M- This is the shining part of this beer for me. Not the category that I want my Bourbon DL to shine, but it is what it is. Nice and chewy. Viscous

O- I was a bit disappointed with this variant. I have only had vanilla, but I am excited to try the other variants.

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

3.5/5  rDev -23.2%

3.25/5  rDev -28.7%

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.