Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial StoutBourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Dark Lord aged in bourbon barrels for one year. Recently has used a blend of barrels from Heaven Hill, but has also been Woodford Reserve and others in the past

Formerly known as Oak Aged Dark Lord.

Added by mcallister on 04-29-2006

Reviews: 188 | Ratings: 774
4.7/5  rDev +4%

On tap at DLD 2012 (and 2011).

Pitch black and syrupy as all dark lords tend to be. Oak comes through more in this version than it does in the vanilla. And the sweetness and heat from the bourbon seems subdued and dried by that oak.

The dark fruit flavors come through more in this version rather than vanilla also. I don't know if this is aged longer than vanilla bean but the beer seems much less sweet and much richer in flavor.

But it's also not quite as big or rich as vanilla. I would call those two a tie or maybe vanilla has a very slight edge.

3.74/5  rDev -17.3%

750mL red wax 2012 thanks to a generous BA. Pours tepid muddy brune with small beige bubbles. Nose is richer, thicker bourbon, rich hazelnut, amaretto, marzipan. Very nice aroma. Taste is sticky, big ass maple, spicier. Thick and rich. Not metallic or thin like other DL variants. I’ll probably never be a fan but this is the best variant I've had besides the Cognac De Muerte, which I surprisingly loved. 6/3/2012 8/3/7/4/15=3.7

4.2/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2012. Heavy booze, sweet Dark Lord balanced by some nice roast in both the nose and the flavor. Vanilla, marshmallow, some oak in the taste. Probably the best part of this beer is the near motor oil mouthfeel. Very enjoyable! Thanks, Frank.

4.73/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is so hard to find and its a hell of a lot of money. But its worth it! This tastes unlike any stout i have had and want to make a trip to Dark Lord Day next year, to pick some more up!

4.94/5  rDev +9.3%

Was definitely looking forward to having a few glasses of the oak-aged Dark Lord again this year. This was my favorite the last few years and being that one can only have it once per year, I was getting anxious! Judging by the number of people at the event several hours before the gates even opened, we figured it would behoove us to get in there quickly!

Poured into the cheap plastic cup, it really just doesn't do this beer any justice. It is still a nice looking pour - thick, oily, black, and messy. Just enough juice on the pour to create a slight frothy head. I have a feeling this would be quite nice in a snifter, but I digress.

Ah yes - wood and bourbon. Really doesn't smell that much like standard Dark Lord, but damn impressive. Sweet smelling, with some syrup or maple and some chocolate. I really like what the barrel has done to this beer.

And every bit as impressive on the palate as I remember. As expected from the smell, there is quite a bit of bourbon presence that is not around in the standard version of Dark Lord. I'm not as good at detecting the woodiness in the taste, but the smoothness given by the barrel-aging process is amazing. This is by far my favorite of the three Dark Lords - if not for being served in a plastic cup, it would certainly receive a perfect score. Very thick, chewy, and oily - I love the way it coats the mouth and hangs around long after the beer is gone. One of the detractors of Dark Lord over the past couple of years has been the sweetness. The oak-aging replaces that sweetness with a more mellow smooth taste - this is why it is so amazing.

Tough to rank the drinkability on a three ounce pour - which is why it is imperative that one gets several glasses! And even after several glasses, I'm lining up for more. I still contend that Three Floyd's should bottle about 50 bottles of this per year, and then produce 50 "golden tickets" that are different than the normal ones. A true Willy Wonka experience. If you get one of the special golden tickets in the mail, you can redeem it for a bottle of the oak-aged. Something to think about Nick.

Regardless of the chaos of Dark Lord Day (which I truly enjoy), the oak-aged Dark Lord alone is enough to bring me back every year. A masterpiece.

Consumed: 4/24/2010

On tap at DLD

A- dark blackhole goodness, no light penetration
S- slight vanilla, lots of bourbon and chocolate some oak
T-amazing chocolate slight boubon that flows and follows the darkness perfect, some possible dark fruit hints
M-not too heavy very viscous and pleasant, wet finish no presence of the abv at all
O/d- I could drink this forever, it's so mellow and delicious and smooth, it make me think of 1 yr old kbs but maybe a bit sweeter

Get this if you ever can

4.87/5  rDev +7.7%

A 10-12oz sample poured into a little clear plastic cup amongst about 9000 people waiting in line. I was too late to get any VBDL, but was very excited to get to try this one. Appearance is definitive Dark Lord, a small dark tan head. The nose on this one is awesome. Oak and bourbon up front, with dark lord sweetness behind. Chocolate and dark fruit. The taste follows the smell and really delivers. The barrel comes through strong with bourbon and vanilla. The oak really smooths out all of the complex dark lord flavors. Coating and thick mouthfeel, that lingers until you can have another sip. Dark Lord is an incredible beer, but this is an unbelievable beer. One of the best beers I've had the pleasure of having. Can't wait until next year.

4.35/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured for me at DL day for 6 bucks a shooter.
Black as hell. Just dark, and oily. The smell is coffee, caramel, nuts, hops (go figure) and acrid bitters. Hint of anise too.
The taste is rather balanced. Thick as hell too. A lot like Founders KBB in it's bourbon/coffee balance. I really thought this would have a lot more grip to it, but it is deadly smooth.
I cry knowing I have to wait a year to try this again.

4.67/5  rDev +3.3%

On tap at DLD.

A: Pours a thick and dark black, wasn't much head by the time the server brought it to our table.

S: Smells of bourbon, oak with hints of vanilla, chocolate, and roasted malts. Some hints of coffee.

T: Baker's chocolate, plums/raisins, bourbon, oak and a hint of vanilla and coffee.

M/D: Very thick, syrup-like. low carbonation, but this thing is one drinkable beast. It was very smooth and not very hot at all. Easily could have only drank this beer all DLD.

3.86/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured into the lil' plastic cup, with a dark ass body, a nice thick head, and no chance of sun escaping from it. The nose was coffee rich, slight chocolate, but heavy on the bourbon. The tongue has everything you'd expect from a Dark Lord, smoother on the hop,but very rich chocolate, a nice roasted coffee flavor, but once again, a lot of bourbon. I had a bit of a difficulty drinking this one down, the alcohol burn was a bit much for me, I think the beer could do well just aging in a barrel as opposed to a bourbon barrel, that's my two cents though.

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%

A - Dark black with a slight brownish particulate floating about

S - Big aromas of molasses, coffee, bourbon, sweet dark fruit and dark malt.

T - Sweet, bourbon, dark cherry, coffee, dark chocolate and dark roasted malts.

M - Holy crap. Thickest beer I have ever put in my mouth. Like heavy whipping cream the color or the standard used motor oil. Chewy as hell.

D - Just a complete palate trashing beer. This is for sipping and only one (if you could get much of this anyway!).

Overall, amazing beer though I still prefer standard DL and Darkness better.

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

This is the true definition of what a world class stout should be all about. I've had this 3 years in a row now at DLD and it never fail to impress and you will find me in the pub again and again on DLD. Pours a chocolate blackness and delivers everything you could imagine or ever dream of in a stout. Bourbon and oak seem to melt flawlessly into the background of this monster stout that does truly make this a treat to be savored. If there is a flaw it would be that it's not bottled and sold as a one bottle kicker on DLD along with it's standard version. Everything is here oak,vanilla,bourbon,chocolate fudge goodness.. the best way is fresh off the tap but to see this end up bottled would be awesome..Keep up the good work FFF's you started this whole craft beer craze and one off stout release everyone else is copying what FFF's started..the true kings of craft beer!

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

I had the pleasure of having this on tap at the FFF brewpub on DLD, and immediately after having a DLVB, and this was better.
A-Black, nuff said there. Out of the tap and "rested" there was no head or lacing to comment on.
S-Rich and complex with bourbon, roasted malts, oak and chocolate aromas with hints of vanilla and dark fruits.
T-If someone made a mocha flavored bourbon, it would taste like this. Very, very nice and the flavors linger and remind you why this beer is so highly rated.
M-Creamy, thick and low carbonation.
D-Excellent beer and one of my all time favorites. Well worth the wait and deserving of the hype.

4.27/5  rDev -5.5%

PVW bottle. Joan Jett black pour with a chocolate head. Huge bourbon aromas. This version, like the ’10 DL in my opinion, is not thick and motor oil like as previous years. The taste was very sweet with lots of molasses, chocolate malts, vanilla, and very very muted bourbon flavors.

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%

I had this on tap at DLD.

Black as sin with tan rays of hope coating the sides of the cup. Thick, oily, and sweet smelled like dark fruits and bourbon-ey. The taste was definitely chocolate-y (like a cupcake almost) and roasty with hints of coffee.

It was a cold day so this beer was a great warmer. The oak aging was not as prominent, but still served as one piece of the complex flavor-tasting puzzle.

4.9/5  rDev +8.4%

Drank at Three Floyd's Brewing Company during the 2007 Dark Lord Day: Black as night it had a slight brown head that left some nice brown lacing. The nose was huge and filled with expresso, chocolate and porty overtones. In the mouth it was the most dense, thick, syrupy, oily beer I have every tasted. While the alcohol lever is high (15%) and you know it is there, it is never hot. The flavors from the nose burst into the palate covering every nook and cranny. This is an intese freak of a beer that one can only drink in small quantities. However credit needs to be given as it is balanced which is not an easy feat for something this size.

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottle was staring at me in the fridge as I was out of beer. I'm going to attempt to review this beer as a beer advocate instead of a drunkard, because I'm half way done with this godly brew. Yes it is that good. Here we go.

2012 Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord: 241/420

A: Black as sin

S: Bourbon, alcohol

T: Bourbon, no coffee flavors here (almost 4 months old, so no surprised there), sweet sugary fruits, wood

M: Absolutely my favorite part next to taste for this beer, it's so damn ridiculously smooth, I can't describe it, and the carbonation is very minimal, but perfect for the style. Absolutely love the mouthfeel on this one, smooth, smooth, smooth.

O: I can't wait to get tickets for Darklord Day 2013 to have more of this lovely brew. I am looking forward to getting a bottle of the vanilla bean version next year, as this years vanilla bean DL on tap was just amazing. If you get the chance to trade, try this fresh, or try this at all, I highly recommend it. Amazing. Godly.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

I had the pleasure of trying both the Oak Aged and Vanilla Bean Dark Lord at DLD 2010. While I would describe the VB DL as a kinder, gentler version of regular Dark Lord, the Oak Aged version is every bit as brutally massive (and then some).

The Oak Aged Dark Lord is simply a more complex version of the real deal. The added wood character slaps you around with yet one more characteristic compounding something that is already very complex.

As with the VB DL, the only advice I would recommend for further improvement is to allow this to mellow out with some age. Being freshly tapped from a new keg obviously doesn't allow this - but it would be cool to have a bottled version of Oak Aged Dark Lord to lay down for a few more months.

In all, I like the Oak Aged Dark Lord that much more than the regular version. I hope they produce more next year!

4.7/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 vintage served at the Brickskeller 3Floyds tasting with Barnaby as the speaker (5 oz pour).
A: Jet black with no head and thin dark brown lacing
S: Incredible aromas of oak, bourbon (Woodford Reserve barrels), and chocolate.
T: Wow, this is as good as it gets for a bourbon barrel stout. It's not overly sweet like I was expecting (based on 2009 Dark Lord). There are huge vanilla, oak, bourbon, dark fruit, and milk chocolate flavors - all in harmony. Also, a hint of coffee and caramel comes through, giving it an added complexity.
M: Mouthfeel is thick, but not as thick as bottled Dark Lord. It is, however, very creamy, velvety smooth and coats the mouth very well.
D: The only knock on this beer is the slight alcohol burn - you can tell it's 13% (or more).
Overall this is one of the best bourbon barrel stouts out there, and I feel so lucky to have gotten the opportunity to try it outside of Dark Lord Day. Big thanks to Barnaby and Nick for bringing it to the Brickskeller tasting!

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the best beers I drank at DLD. This beer is a home run for me with the great barrel heat and caramel and vanilla notes. It looks dark as night, but smells and tastes sinful. I could drink this in on a regular basis. Too bad it is not easily or often found.

2.76/5  rDev -38.9%

So...yeah, I had one full glass of OA Dark Lord an hour ago. It's was horrendous. I got my toes crushed by the keg and then when I tasted it after waiting a couple hours for it, it just was a huge let down.

Looked pretty good, the smell was average of average DL, no Vanilla or Oak in the scent.

Taste- Wow, this sucks. I'm sorry, normal '09 DL = OMG. '09 OA DL=bad. No taste of Oak at all and overpoweringly sweet. The few drops I had of Kaggen and Surly Two beat the shit out of this brew.

Mouthfeel- Good, just like normal DL, thick and delicious.

Drinkability- It tasted awful, somewhat like '08 Darkness awful. I can see if people like it, but it had no taste of Oak at all. NONE. No wood. Vanilla bean DL was AMAZING though.

3.85/5  rDev -14.8%

Thanks to joey and random guy in line for tastings of this. Black as night, no head. Aroma was heavy on the molasses and bourbon. Huge bourbon intro with chocolate, molasses, and alcohol. Finishes very boozy, syrupy. A bit over the top for me, not very drinkable. I had a 4 oz glass and it was a bit too much. Still one of the most flavorful and unique beers I've come across.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

On tap at Dark Lord Day 2011. Thanks to the girl who traded me hers for a cigarette. She had no clue...

This was another epiphany for me. Pour is dark and black with virtually no head. Smell lights up your nose with burnt, sweet, and no heat. Mouthfeel is really think and wonderful. Taste is an expolosion of coffee, carmel, chocolate, coffee, dark wood. Awesome RIS!!! I am gald to have 4 bottles resting comfortably that I wont open until mid 2012. Every so often, I go to the closet just to stare at them....

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

All the hype is well deserved - one of my favorite and most complicated beers to date. This imperial stout was truly the thickest beer I've ever had and was certainly one of the most favorful. The most surprising characteristic was its smoothness in all of its boldness. It's unfortunate they will not bottle this one but then again, that's what's so great about it.

Loved it.

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

Bourbon Barrel 2010 on tap at the FFF pub after DLD.

A: Thick and black. You could use it to lube up an old engine. Slowly dissipating, tan head. Legs like a supermodel.

S: Nice balance of bourbon, malt sweetness and a little coffee hiding in the background.

T: Wonderful balance of all things awesome. Bourbon most certainly played a supporting role in this one. Far less angular that non-BBA 2010, it doesn't have the eccentric bitter bite that it's little brother has. Nice boozy warmth and plenty of fig, coffee and toffee. Delicious.

M: Thick enough to brush your teeth with. Very low carbonation. The time in the barrel and this being a year old now make it nice and smooth.

O: I'm very impressed with this one. I was lucky enough to be at the brew pub right when they opened the day after DLD. It allowed me to really dissect this one without the craziness of the previous day's festivities surrounding me.

If you're ever in a situation in which you can try this guy out, take advantage of it. This was magical beer.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.