Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial StoutBourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Dark Lord aged in bourbon barrels for one year. Recently has used a blend of barrels from Heaven Hill, but has also been Woodford Reserve and others in the past

Formerly known as Oak Aged Dark Lord.

Added by mcallister on 04-29-2006

Reviews: 187 | Ratings: 770
3.87/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured from the tap at Dark Lord Day, served in the brewpub inside a tiny snifter. This particular variant of Dark Lord spent time in Heaven Hill bourbon barrels.

Inky black with a teeny tiny head that fizzled away to nothingness. Very thin ring.

Sweet nose. Molasses, light coffee, dark cherry, vanilla, hints of oak. Sugared and syrupy.

Heavy bourbon at first, though the flavor lightens at the swallow. Lots of dark cherries, vanilla, brandy, molasses, hints of coffee, toffee and dark chocolate. Mostly the sweet stuff.

Medium, buttery body expands in the mouth. Oodles of alcohol on the tongue and in the nose. Heavy, syrupy, but not cloying. Fairly clean finish.

I’ve enjoyed the oak-aged Dark Lord in previous years, but this isn’t as smooth as I remember. I might actually prefer the un-aged version, and I definitely prefer the vanilla-aged version.

I promised not to review anything from Dark Lord Day. There was too much happening. This is my one exception. I had glass after glass because several people kept saying wow that it too hot for me here you want to finish mine. Oh my God what were they thinking. This was the most easy drinking whiskey I have ever had. It is certainly closer to bourbon than to beer. The beer seemed much higher than 13% ABV to me but the hot alcohol had the softness of a 10 - 20 year old bourbon. WOW! Everyone who has been to my house knows that Woodford Reserve is my favorite go-to Bourbon. I am not makin this up for the sake of this review. I always have it on hand. Wouldn’t you know, the wonderful geniuses at Three Floyds that hand crafted this beer JUST FOR ME, picked my regular bourbon for aging this beer. Yes, This is Dark Lord, aged for a year in none other than Woodford Reserve Bourbon Barrels. Oh my God! I just about passed out this was so freaking good. I went week in the knees and I was not drunk.

Appearance: When I received this beer in a plastic cup there was no head on it. I poured it into my snifter glass and it stirred up very little head but in the glass it did showcase a nice tan head. Several times through drinking this beer various friend emptied there plastic cups into my snifter each time revitalizing a tiny bit of head in this otherwise murky black body.

Smell: Everything I love about bourbon and more flooded my nose. Rich scent of various woods, just like the Woodford Reserve I makes me think of my freshly moistened humidor. Dark roasted malts and barley, black coffer and thick bitter sweet chocolate and of course a wallop of vanilla oak bourbon flavors.

Taste: The biggest complaint people had on this hot day was the beer is too much like bourbon. If that is the biggest gripe, then gripe on my friends. I LOVE IT! This is absolutely everything I could ever want in a drink. It is the best of both world. It is what I love about two different drinks met in one glass. Yes the alcohol does not hide. So you sip the beer like you would any other liquor. It takes drinking it differently than a more “typical” beer but it is certainly worth it. The dark chocolate malts and fruits blend right into the woody vanilla oak and somehow it creates what feels like very layers of flavors and leaves your mouth with the feel of bourbon on the tongue and throat and face.

Mouthfeel: The swallow is very hot but the massive rich oily smooth feel coats every inch of your mouth and then some. I can feel the hot alcohol and warm boozy black grains making my face go numb as works its way from my tongue to my cheeks, my tonsils and up through my sinuses until my whole face seems to going flush enjoying the magnificence that this masterpiece exudes.

Drinkability: When I sit down with my favorite liquor I don’t start just putting them back one after another. Drinkability is the duration for which I can enjoy that drink. I would take it slowly, but I could enjoy this dink all day long.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.82/5  rDev +6.4%

An atypical review....

At a tasting hosted by Mulder1010 who kindly provided this I was totally unaware of what this beer was in my glass. Not wearing my glasses, and evening room light, meant it was a blind taste.

However, quite simply one of the most flavoursome and complex beers (the barrel effect was amazing) it has been my pleasure to drink. I did guess it had to be highly rated, and thought 'Top 10' but I was not quite expecting it to be where it was tho, on the 'other' beer site...

World Class, and then some....

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Split my buddy's bottle at his bachelor party. Poured into a Cigar City snifter.

Motor oil pour as is typical with good DL vintages. Jet black with a small tan ring of foam leaving some legs down the glass though the retention fades a bit.

Big bourbon notes up front in the aroma. Dark fruit, wood, chocolate and burnt malts.

Again barrel stands out in the taste. Bourbon is nicely integrated and smooth. Toasted oak, vanilla, dark chocolate, fudge and roasted malts play a part with some dark fruit in the background.

As with something that pours like motor oil, mouthfeel is thick and chewy. Carbonation levels low, but still present. Alcohol is felt, but very well integrated.

Surprisingly enjoyed this one much more than the Vanilla I had a few months ago. My main complaint with regular DL is the intense sweetness and the bourbon does a wonderful job of cutting through and balancing this beer. At the same time, there is enough sweetness that the bourbon doesn't come in too hot. Fantastic beer and hope they make this variant again (and I have better luck) next time around.

4.24/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to cosmicevan for sharing!

Decent looking, nothing special here though. Strong, smooth bourbon aroma takes over to blend with roasty malts and sugary sweetness.

The underlying taste is a more mature version of DL complimented by sweet, smooth, rounded bourbon. Not too much complexity here: just bourbon. Cognac DL was much more interesting, and a significantly better variant overall.

Still a great beer, but a big step down from the Cognac in my book. But then again, I'm not a bourbon lover.

4.42/5  rDev -2.4%

Draft. Finally found my notes for DLD and getting these in to review! Draft. Poured a pitch black color with minimal head (I'm sure the plastic cup helped with that). Smells like DL but with huge hints of the oak barrels. Subtle sweetness. Slight smokiness. Adding the DL to the Oak barrels was a great move that only added additional complexity to this beer. Would be great to see it bottled instead of having to drink it from a plastic cup at DLD.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this on tap at DLD 09.

Pitch black, motor oil, no highlights, and a thin but fluffy dark tan head that holds for a little bit and leaves some lacing that coats the side of the glass.
Aroma is quite impressive, dark fruits abounding, molasses, coffee but not too much coffee, chocolate, bread and alcohol. Oakiness and vanilla, perhaps some extra heat as compared to the regular version.
It is a very thick, oily beer as expected, complex, with coffee, bittersweet chocolate, sweet caramel, molasses, fruits, vanilla but some noticeable heat, brandy like, which does not blend perfectly.
This is an incredible beer, but IMHO, one step down from regular DL. The oak aging did not match perfectly. Still a fantastic beer.

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours pitch black with some nice head. Out of a plastic cup at DLD so its not the prettiest but it does the trick. Smells oaky initial which I love. Dark, boozey fruits and wood and malt. Very nice combination of scents. Tastes incredible. Smooth rich roasted flavours, some dark fruits, etc. Incredible mouthfeel... very thick and not highly carbonated. A bit high in alcohol content but overall quite nice

4.64/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

22oz bottle into a snifter
Vintage 2012
#68/688

650th BA rating, 630th BA review, and #96 out of the top 100 that I began ticking away at a few years ago. Only 4 more to go!

A big thanks to rjjhoffman for sending this long time want over in a trade.

A: Opaque black with some browning on the edges and 1 fingers width of mocha colored head. Head dissipates down quickly and leaves essentially no lacing, but some alcohol legs. 4.25

S: Lots of sweetness, lots of booze, and big barrel notes. Chocolate fudge, fusel ethanol, subtle dark fruits. Barrel notes include a fairly big bourbon charred oak, and a peat like character. Lots going on, and very nice. A bit too boozy perhaps. 4.5

T: Huge sweetness, particularly upfront. Its a sugary, syrup sweetness, which would be a bit much, but it fades quickly and nicely into some absolutely wonderful flavors or charred oak, roasted malt and chocolate. Tons of bourbon barrel notes, which complement the otherwise cloying sweetness of regular Dark Lord. Some boozy ethanol to round out for palate profile. Its simply fantastic. 4.75

M/D: Full bodied, carbonation very low which is appropriate, its smooth but is a bit syrupy, ABV is noticeable but its not hot. Drinkability is good, all things considered. 4.5

O: Overall, this is a great beer. I can confidently say that I’ve never had a beer which was so significantly improved by barrel aging. I am not a big fan of regular Dark Lord, but the Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord is wonderful. Definitely worth seeking out. Looking forward to someday landing a BVDL for comparison. Merry Christmas! 4.75

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

When every one lined up to get their bottles, I headed straight to the bar to get a little low-ball of a terrific beer.

This beer came a mirrored obsidian with a small collar of tan and copper head. There were also a few mysterious wisps of head swirling about the surface.

Smelled of gentle fruity bourbon, dark creamy chocolate, maple syrup, chocolate pudding and a warm, aromatic alcohol that hid behind the bourbon and an oak dryness. As it warmed, the alcohol became very (overly?) prominent, but carried with it a sweet vanilla.

Tasted of pasty, rich chocolate pudding that took root in my tongue and turned it brown (seriously, I checked). Through this floated an electric tingly sting of flowing woody bourbon, fresh cut oak and a Jagermeister-like herbiness. I also got some sweet marachino cherry and creamy oak burps! Never had a stout do that before! Sadly, the alcohol was hot to the point of becoming distracting.

The mouth feel was heavy as hell with a thick creamy viscosity added by a micro-fine carbonation giving this the feel of pudding. Where’s my spoon!

This one’s just a trip. The alcohol was a little much and could stand to be aged for a while. Hopefully, FFF has a keg of this sitting somewhere waiting to be cracked in a year or so. A cool version of this would be off the charts!

4.92/5  rDev +8.6%

Had this on tap at DLD 2011 in the Brewpub. I absolutely love Three Floyds. Bourbon Barrel dark Lord is the description.

A: Definitely pours black as hell with a small tan ring of head and great legs of alcohol. Very nice look.

S: Wow, the best mix of amazing sweet and savory bourbon with huge dark malt of any bourbon aged stout I've had to date. Raisin, Vanilla, burnt malt, dark fruit all combine amazingly. Complex and exceptional.

T: Taste does not disappoint, Might be the best tasting beer I've ever had even better than Vanilla IMHO. More flavors from the already bourbon and dark malt smell characters include molasses, vanilla bean, dark fruit, some coffee roast, and more. Tastes like the stout I think God would want to have.

M: Smooth and mostly not too hot, but a little alcohol lingers here. Would easily be a 5 with some age.

D: Totally amazing and just a pleasure to try. I beginning to think Dark Lord might be the best stout the barrel age in history.

4.62/5  rDev +2%

750ml bottle, 2012 vintage with red wax, poured into a Three Floyds Mini Snifter.

The beer pours like thick motor oil, deep black in color, hues of cola brown with a thick khaki head that sticks around for a brief moment and leaves no lace or film behind. The aroma is of wonderful barrel presence, soft and subtle bourbon, chocolate, rich, sweet grain, soft char and some potent astringency from the alcohol. The flavors are superb, lots of soft bitter chocolate, bourbon, charred oak and vanilla, nice marshmallow hints with dark grain and dark pitted stone fruit at the finish. The body is remarkably smooth, rich and coats the mouth well. It finishes with a lovely creamy touch and a nice warming sensation as it goes down.

Verdict: A really spectacular take on Dark Lord. This beer is sweet, very sweet but still remarkably balanced and extremely complex. This was by far my favorite Dark Lord variant of the 2012 or 2013 sets and one of the more exemplary takes on the barrel aged stouts.

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

Draft at DLD.
Served dark as night with only a slight ring of head around the perimeter of the glass. Smell is absolutley luxurious. Deep roasted malts, chocolate, and bourbon are the front runners. This is a big beer, no doubt, the alcohol is there and warming.
This beer is mellowed a bit by the oak aging. Not the brute that the DL bottle is. This is a great beer, but not huge and robust as say a GI BCS.
The guys at FFF have taken barrel aging to a whole n’other level. Other brewers could take notes from them.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Review # 450

I shared this bad boy at the Star Wars tasting. 750 ml waxed bottle, 567/688, served in a Deschutes tulip.

A: Pours a dark black color, viscous like motor oil. A nice ring mocha foam is left over after the pour. As it recedes and swishes around there is some nice legs and splotchy lace left behind.

A: Bourbon up front with some dark fruits. smooth oak, some caramel, milk chocolate sweetness and nice toasted malts.

T: Nice barrel presence right away. Smooth bourbon, smoked oak, caramel and light vanilla. Sweet chocolate, some fudge and roasted malts. Toasted marshmallow as well. Very well integrated.

M: Thick and chewy. Medium to low carbonation. So smooth and it goes down with some slight heat.

O: This is drinking really, really well right now. No harsh booze and the barrel is just integrated very well. My personal favorite of the day.

3.63/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this yesterday at Dark Lord Day '09. It was so nice to be able to get a glass of Oak Aged Dark Lord and Vanilla Bean Dark Lord, plop down on a couch and compare/review them. Great job by FFF this year. Drank from a classy plastic cup.

Appearance- Pours a jet black with a sort of soft, creamy dark tan head that sticks around for quite some time. A weak cap and thick collar remain the rest of the beer leaving a light bit of lacing (copied from the Vanilla Bean Dark Lord, they were exactly the same).
Smell- Loads of deeply roasted malts, a bit of sweet molasses and some very woody oak. The smell isn't necessarily harsh but the oak is fairly pungent. Some vanilla and milk chocolate along with some licorice and a touch of smoke. Some dark fruits as well but the oak really is fairly dominant.
Taste- I don't necessarily think that the barrel aging really helps Dark Lord (unlike the Vanilla Bean). I find it to be semi astringent with almost too much barrel. Plenty of vanilla still though and a bit of bitter roasted coffee. The sweetness seems to be quite a bit more advanced that the regular Dark Lord as well. Tons of bourbon soaked cherries, prunes, dates, figs and any other overly ripe dark fruit you can think of. Finishes with a touch of smoke and a bit of boozy oaky bourbon like quality.
Mouthfeel- Big and rich and creamy with a smooth silkiness and a bit of boozy astringency.
Drinkability- Uhh... Out of the three Dark Lords this one was by far my least favorite. Just not a big fan of the barrel aging which is weird because I usually enjoy the added complexity. Maybe I was just a bit spoiled by the Vanilla Bean? Either way glad I got to try it.

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap at DLD 09. Pour to a jet black with just a hint of brown, a thin dark brown skim of head that lingers well and okay lacing. But it ain't about appearances. Nose was a very potent and pleasant mix of aged wood, pourbon, chocolate, toffee and caramel, and as it warmed, the alcohol snuck in as well. Mouthfeel was full, a tad biting and oily. Taste was the highlight, as it took all the scents of the nose and blended them into a very complex taste where every sip seemed to accentuate a different aspect.

Finish was log, smooth and warming. FFF served this in small cups, which was a good thing, given the various beers to be tasted and the 14% abv.

4.87/5  rDev +7.5%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: approx 45 - 50 degrees
VINTAGE 2009 (Had @ DLD)

Much like Dark Lord, this one is solid black. It has a small head of tan foam that dissipates to a ring aound the edge of the surface. Lacing is a touch better than the 'regular' version, but still not very much. It's still very thick and viscous, sliding down the sides of the glass.

This is where it steps out away from it's brother. Nice big oakiness joins the chocolate and coffee notes. Dark fruits are still present, just a little more subdued. Wonderful bourbon-like notes. The vanilla is brought a little more forward. Nice caramel toffee notes.

Taste follows the 'regular' version, as well. This one brings along nice notes of charred oak, vanilla and bourbon. Molasses comes forward a touch. Lots of brown sugar notes. Slight hint of tobacco.
The oak aging really mellows the flavor profile out, making this one not nearly as sweet as the 'regular' version and giving it a drier finish.

While this one is still full-bodied and creamy and yes, thick, it loses just a touch, comparatively. If I weren't comparing it to it's brother it would score perfect anyway, but this one is slightly less, in that sense. In the 'regular' DL review, I said it deserved to be rated with a 7 for mouthfeel. This one still deserves a 6.

While this beer is incredible and totally worth the wait to get the chance to try it, I think that I actually prefer the 'regular' DL just slightly better. That shocks me, because I love barrel-aged brews, in general. I just like the big, bold, malty sweetness in the other one, which is toned down in this one.
Also, the booziness is more prominent in this one, which is not a bad thing, but it's better when you don't know that it's there.

4.62/5  rDev +2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2015 version consumed on 7/2/16. This is still quite sweet but not cloyingly so. Bourbon heat has died down a little. rich, full mouthfeel and this looks like old motor oil. A vast improvement on the regular dark lord.

4.12/5  rDev -9.1%

Had this on tap at DLD 2011

A-poured a motor oil black with a tiny tan head and alittle bit of lacing

S- Has a strong bourbon smell up fron followed by some dark fruit notes as well as come chocolate and malts

T- Has a strong bitter chocolate flavor up front followed by a nice malty middle and then finishs with a pur bourbon kick.

M-Full bodied with nice carbonation

O-Overall this was a top notch beer. Not as good as Vanilla DLD by any means. Well atleast in my opinion. In my little circle of 8 guys at DLD this was all their fav. besides me. Very good beer but just alittle too much bite and hottness to love it. Will have it again at DLD for sure.

4.49/5  rDev -0.9%

I was sure to get my sample of this at Dark Lord Day 2010 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Review is from notes taken on 4/24/2010 and poured from the tap to a plastic cup (blasphemy, I know, but it's what they were offering).

Appearance: Comes to me very black and viscous looking (I should note that it's not nearly as thick as the '08 DL that I was able to sample - didn't get to review though as my pour was not quite deep enough to get everything out of it); has about a 1/4 finger of deep dark brown head that fades quickly to nothing other than a thin ring around the surface of the same color; the body is, of course, entirely opaque (I think this actually feeding off of any light around it) and it leaves behind no lacing.

Smell: About what I would expect, actually, and it's awesome. Tons of smoke, wood (with a bit of a sweet vanilla aspect to it from the barrel aging); big alcohol that is a little bourbonesque in nature; lots of dark, burnt and roasty malts and bit of a deep and dark, ripe fruity (cherry?) aspect hiding out in there.

Taste: Pretty much matches the nose to a "T." Lots of that smokey and woody aspect and followed with a hint of sweet vanilla; that big alcohol is definitely present and it's quite hot (I have no idea what year this was made, but if I had to guess I would say it's relatively fresh); again those nice dark, burnt and roasty malts provide tons of flavor and that cherry-like flavor hiding out continues to do so and makes the occasional appearance between the other, more dominant flavors.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy, with tons of thick sticky coating holding all over the mouth that allows the nice roasty and bitter flavors to linger for what seems an eternity. In the end, it's a tad gritty, but I like that in a stout, and one of this magnitude certainly does not disappoint.

Drinkability: The flavors and smells alone are enough to keep this high, despite the very present ABV. Also, the mystique and rarity of this beer alone would perhaps keep me coming back for more if it was something that was actually more available. I'm pleased that I got to try it though.

4.52/5  rDev -0.2%

From my understanding, barrel-aged Dark Lord is only available at the brewery once a year during Dark Lord Day. I've sampled this one at a previous gathering, but this one was sampled during my recent visit to the FFF Brewpub at the 2007 Dark Lord Day. The intoxicating aroma starts filling the area as soon as it's poured. Big vinous woody-bourbon notes from the Woodford Reserve barrels are the first thing you notice then the mochachino notes start wafering along riding the waves of darkness. The intense flavor is amazing complex with lots of dark fruitiness, caramel, and chocolate. The body borderlines on syrupy, but there's more than enough alcohol and bitterness to make it all work nicely. Amazing really. More of an elixir or a potion than a beer. The Dark Lord Cometh!

CHEERS! Beertracker

3.18/5  rDev -29.8%

Appearance: Looks like DL, pitch black, oil slick, etc, etc

Smell: Only a hint of oak on the scent. Lots of roast malt and molasses.

Taste: Did they add sugar to this one as well? If so, why? Roast malt, molasses, brown sugar, milk chocolate, semi-sweet baking chocolate. The oak is huge on the taste, like a fresh oak barrel. Too much barrel actually. Much hasher than the regular DL or VB DL.

Mouthfeel: Great - thick, chewy, smooth, near perfect.

Drinkability: To much fresh, wet oak and I get some added sugar. Regular DL is better, but honestly none of the three is T-50 worthy in my opinion.

4.27/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

this was the 2006 woodford reserve barrel-aged version on cask at dl day. poured into a clear plastic solo cup, this was unlike any beer i have ever had. dark and thick like well-used motor oil. and i mean thick. this beer just left remnants of itself on the sides of the cup, turning the cup from clear to brown. brown head. the nose was absolutely huge, dominated by the whiskey notes along with chocolate, coffee, vanilla, smoke, toffee, and raisins. taste was a huge malt sweetness balanced a little by the 3f hops and roasty malts, but more to the malt/sweet side. mouthfeel was more viscous and thick than i have ever experienced. this had very little carbonation from the cask leaving it thickly sweet. long, long finish is ended by whiskey flavors and warming alcohol. still somehow smooth, though. this took a while just to drink a little bit and i probably could have just one of these in a sitting. a real sipper.
update: have had a few more of these, carbonation has been better, would add some serious charred fruit to the above. have enjoyed it more from the regular taps with the added Co2.

[ serving type: cask ]

4.37/5  rDev -3.5%

Sampled at DLD '09

Pours jet black, no light, thick as motor oil. Oily and resinous on the glass. A moderate head forms and has some retention. Decent lacing throughout. Great depth from the barrel aging. Very woody and oaky with that wisp of vanilla. A very small smoky character in the back that I wish was bigger. The barrel really rounds the beer out, making the deeply roasted malts more enjoyable. Taste is much the same. The barrel blends everything very nicely. A touch of cherry comes out as it warms but it's nearly hidden behind all the other potent flavors. Body is fuller than full and is a bit chewy. Carbonation is somewhat low but manages to make the beer velvety nonethelss. This a very big beer. It drinks decent for the size but it's huge and wants you to know it. The barrel and aging does wonders for the beer.

4.32/5  rDev -4.6%

This is the 2006 Dark Lord, aged for a year in Woodford's Reserve Bourbon Barrels, and released on draught only just in time for the release of the 2007 Dark Lord in bottles. Better than the 2006 non-BA release, though I think the 2007 non-BA Dark Lord is easily better than both. I can't wait for the 2008 Dark Lord Day so I can try the 2007 BA Dark Lord.

The beer pours to a thick dark sludge with very little head, probably destroyed by the spirits it has been aging with. Shows off thick caramel colored legs as it is swished around, and by the time the glass is empty, the glass looks almost like the brown bottle the beer was poured from (err... maybe not, since this is actually a draught, but you get the point).

The smell is great. Has a strong whiff of bourbon/alcohol with vanilla and coconut notes from the barrel. Smells quite sweet, remnant of all of the sugars used in the production of this beer, namely molasses and brown sugar. Little dark roasted malt in the nose, but a generous hit of caramel.

The taste is good. Very rich and sweet up front with a huge taste of bourbon, namely the aforementioned vanilla and coconut. Has a middle taste of rich, dark chocolate, coffee roast, and soy sauce. The finish refuses to go away.

The body is a bit thinner than the non-BA Dark Lord, also with a little less carbonation. Still coats the mouth with a thick molasses consistency. Turns your teeth into a caramel brown color. Not an easy beer to drink on a hot and sunny day after I've already been drinking several beers of considerable strength and body. I REALLY wanted to drink a Gumballhead at that time, but I simply couldn't pass up a one-time opportunity like this.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Dark Lord Imperial Stout from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.