Munsterfest | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

MunsterfestMunsterfest

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by frank4sail on 10-18-2002

Bottle into teku

A- pours clear dark orange with a single finger white head
S-sweet malts, grainy, slightly roasty,
T- starts with sweet malts, nice brown sugar taste, plenty of grain without being dry, some carmel flavor, very subtle hop presence
M- nice texture, coats the tongue more than you would think
O- I'm really impressed by this, I don't usually like their style because it's usually very malty and too grainy. This is so well balanced, great texture, nice sweet flavor, not too thick in texture. I'm glad I got to try this, the best Oktoberfest I've had personally.

4.49/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%

Oh my god, I think I just creamed my pants. A Three Floyds lager? Don't get me wrong, I love my ales to death, and a greater percentage of my favorite beers are ales, but there is really nothing better than a well done lager. This one fits the bill quite nicely, and it is quite hoppy to boot (it's Three Floyds afterall). I finally got a chance to try this after just having been out of my Oktoberfest kick for the past month, but now I'm ready to dive right back in after this one.

Pours with a monumental head and an intensely active carbonation to support it. Whew, it's not already too late after O'fest season. Despite the beautiful carbonation, the retention is actually fairly poor, and the lacing ceases to stick. It is also a fair bit hazy, though it has that beautiful clear coppery color that I drool over every October.

The aroma is quite enticing. Has a distinct vegetal lager smell to it, but also a ton of floral hops and some caramel maltiness. The taste is fairly similar. Sweet with caramel and biscuity malt flavors up front fading into a clean, crisp floral hops bitterness. Very clean finish. Only very faintly vegetal. A damn good lager, and an instant favorite for an O'fest.

The body is fairly thick and creamy for the style; and even though the carbonation appears to be intense, it is very soft on the palate. As I have said already, it is very clean with only a hint of caramel sweetness and floral hops bitterness in the finish.

As is the case with most well-done lagers, this beer is uber drinkable. I could drink it by the case if I could afford it and it was available.

4.43/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.42/5  rDev +17.6%

I poured this one from a 22oz brown bomber bottle into my tall pilsener glass.

A= This beer poured a clear reddish copper color with a 1" light tan head. The head quickly dropped to nothing and left zero lace on the glass.

A= I found aromas of caramel malts, bakery sweetness, and a slight spicy hop and alcohol note.

T= This was a very balanced fest bier. Filled with sweet and caramel malts initially, but followed by mild toasted grains and mild hop spice. The finish was an incredibly interesting mix of fruitiness and a slight alcohol bite.

MF= Medium body, moderate carbonation. Nice palate cleansing feel.

D= Very drinkable, probably the best fest bier I have had this year. Highly sessionable!

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a rustic orange to a dark orange with a thin, creamy white head. Smells of a typical octoberfest big on Carmel malt. Wonderful tasting Marzen rich on malt and Carmel. Has a bit of hop that makes this one of m favorite US Marzen along with Sierra Nevada. I am big on Oftofests.

4.42/5  rDev +17.6%

On tap at the Lafayette Chumleys.

Regular marzen pour; maybe a little limp. An orange like a rusty old pumpkin made of steel. Translucent with a small head.

Smells nice. Rounded, zippy bock malt with hints of wax and cinnamon. Decent dry American hop presence, to boot.

Tastes a lot like it smells only the hops are a lot bigger and the cinnamon much bolder, almost at Spotted Cow levels. Starts for a marzen, big bouquet of spices and light flowers, moving into sweeter, bockier middle with dry American hops and ending on a long, lingering blend of hops, spice, and malt sweetness. Really nice.

4.41/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The beer pours brilliant orange tinted amber under a 1” cream to white foam collar that recedes moderately fast. Big rich malt dominates the aromas and flavor with a trace of DMS seasoning fresh baked bread and spicy malt. The body is medium full while the carbonation is on the low side. I have to drive 30 miles to another state to get these – I should have bought more.

Munsterfest from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.