Lord Rear Admiral | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Lord Rear AdmiralLord Rear Admiral
4.13/5
Exceptional
Lord Rear AdmiralLord Rear Admiral

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Three Floyds version of an ESB, this deep amber ale has a complex malt sweetness and pronounced apricot hoppiness. Named after Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson.

Added by scruffwhor on 04-02-2007

firstprev| 576-600 | 601-625 | 626-650  | next → last
4.48/5  rDev +8.5%

22 oz bomber. Honestly one of the most attractive beers I've ever seen right off the pour. A little richer in appearance than I expected, with a deep burnt caramelly look to the body (almost not a color I can describe very well), nearly murky, but clear at the same time, with a full 3 finger climbing head that rests just perfectly on top filling the glass. Head thins out to a large rocky mass with bubbly sides, and some sticky patches of lace all over.

Enticing rich aromas of balanced hop and herbal character, with a fine malt background. Hoppy citrus, with mild pine, sage, a hint of lemon peel, and perhaps some rosemary. Remarkably delicate and yet full and hardy. I want to marinate chicken in it.

Taste has much more malt and graininess than the flavor alludes to, with an excellent bitter quality for the style, and yet uncommonly nuanced. Full crackery grains up front run with herbal notes of sage and bay leaf through to a dry raw grain flavor balanced with toffee toward the finish. Hops present more fully in mild citrus, and herbal florals toward the end. Finishes with stronger hop bitterness clinging a little.

Feel is nice, fuller medium body with mild soft tingly carbonation, allowing the taste to really stand up front. A little filmy toward the end, full for the style, but not too out of whack.

I know FFF is all about doing things a little different, and for me, this beer expands my concept of this style. Definitely strong on hops, but with considerable sensitivity to some of the other character of the beer, it varies between full-on strength and finely subtle nuance. Quite worth the try, in my opinion.

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is what I have been waiting for a while. A new Three Floyds. A new character, new art work, a new experience. I love when this happens.
App.-4.0- Comes off a amber/copper, slightly hazy. Quite a beauty to gaze upon. Just a little disappointed in how the foam does not stick around on a nice pour. Lighter on the bottom.

Smell-4.5- I smell sweet bitter, grapefruit and notes of caramel and toffee. The smell seems very complex to me and I enjoy the citrus smell its nice. You rarely see strong grapefruit notes in a beer but I love how Three Floyds goes there with this flavor, not just in Alpha king but now in this.
Taste-4.5- Nothing short of amazing. The Grapefruit citrus taste hits the taste. Crystal malts and toffee flavors give this beer quite a bit of body complimented by a tingly carbonation that leaves the mouth longing for more. The finish is unique in itself; roasty and bitter at the same time. It finishes the amalgamation of all the decribed flavors and it's wet!
MF-3.5- My least favorite part of this beer. It is a bit thick, but not bad. It's sticky too. Not a good combo to me

Drink-4.5- I could easily drink 2-3 bombers of this. It's so good and goes down so nicely. It leaves the finish very wet but I don't mind it when it comes to this brew. It fits the characteristic of the beer. Nothing is needed to chase the finishing taste of the beer, it's beautiful.

This is nothing far from a amazingly crafted work of art. Easily up there with the dreadnaughts and behemoths. An immediate favorite.

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear and a dark copper color. The head is thick and creamy with an off white color and emits a big and bold citrus and floral hop aroma. A preview of another deliciously hoppy brew from FFF, the taste is sweet and hoppy. A touch tart and harsh bitterness alongside the mild body and high carbonation make this brew dance on the palate and explode with sweet hoppy flavor. The finish is also tart and bitter but it fades slowly and gently. Great session strength and flavor.

4.77/5  rDev +15.5%

This is a very flavorful beer. It's definitely a bitter, but not overly bitter to where you can't enjoy the beer. The beer had a nice aroma surrounding it after the pour and it produced very little head. The finish was clean and not overpowering. A great beer by Three Floyds.

4.64/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a bomber that was less than one week old!!!!

A- A very dark amber with a very white head that holds longer than normal.
S- I don't know what I was expecting from 3-floyds but I was not prepared for this hop-bomb. Very weedy and citrus hops. I could hardly smell the malts in this E.S.B. If I did not know, I would say this was an IPA by the smell.
T- The hoppy smell is somewhat balanced by the malty taste. However, the citrus hops do come through. This is an outstanding beer and totally out of the box for its style. What else would you expect from 3-Floyds?
M- Light and somewhat fizzy. Although I'm drinking from a bomber, this beer tastes very fresh. I have a few more and want to sit on one for a while to see how the texture of this beer changes.

This might be the easiest beer from three floyds to drink. Yes I enjoy the giant hop bombs and the 9+ ABV beers, but this is a hit. At only 6 Percent this is a session beer for me. I hope this is a year long product and not just a seasonal . I will say that my point of view is a little skewed because I only paid 3.99 for the bomber. I don't know if the price was wrong or that3floyds is trying to market this new beer, but at 3.99 I will make this a regular in my rotation if not the only beer I drink.

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

I'm re-reviewing this beer. Just had this yesterday at Three Floyds on tap. It's quite different from what I remember. Pours a nice hazy orange-gold with good lacing. Taste is much more mild than I remember, very pleasant and balanced with great malt character. Bitter, but not what I would call hoppy (in a big way). The yeast is awesome in this beer, very biscuity. It really stays with you. This is a great representation of an ESB. Enough to convince me to brew one of these after my Belgian Trappist completes primary!

4.69/5  rDev +13.6%

On tap at the FFF Brewpub in November 2009.

Poured a dark copper with a nice creamy head, although not as much as is normal for the style. The nose is definitely dominated by some great citrus hops atop semi-sweet caramel malt. The taste was very similar to an IPA, but with a decidedly English influence, though still different from an English IPA. Medium body with good carbonation, the drinkability on this was excellent, and I'm really looking forward to being able to try the bottled edition.

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

Is this the first bottling of this beer? Cheap compared to other FFF, great stuff here, highly recommended. As usual, great label from FFF as well.

Pours a nice maple syrup brown with two inches of sandy head. Great lacing and retention. Smell is largely grapefruit, big hops, though there is something that's a bit off and I can't put my finger on it. Taste here is great, big piney hops, a bit of weedy hops, finished with some biscuity/bready malt--a hopped-up ESB. Great stuff here, I guess this review is to style, because as a beer overall I would call this an A-, but as an ESB, this is definitely an A. MF is medium, coating, creamy, maybe a tad over-carbonated. Very drinkable, a great session brew, if I had it in me I could easily have three bombers of this. I do not, but that's the kind of drinkability this thing has.

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%

thanks to Sean9689 for bringing this

light copper cola color, light fluffy head

big floral aroma, almost concentrated with a touch of sweet malts

bitter all over like it should be with bitterness from the malts and a combo of pine and citrus hops. very floral through out with a great ESB finish. quite complex, love it.

medium body, easy drinking

this was great, one of the highlights of my night. i hope they end up bottling this.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

On-tap at FFF's.

A - Pours a dark golden/copper color with a cream-colored head. Two fingers or so worth of head disipitates leaving some lacing along the sides of the glass and a thin cap on top of the beer.

S - Bitter/hoppy notes right from the start with a very light malt backbone. This is def a different take on the ESB style, which fits in nicely with their "It's Not Normal" motto. Me likes.

T - Tastes like a top-notch IPA, if you ask me. Hoppy/bitterness, citrus, pine, grapefruit.

M - Light to medium, fizzy carbonation, smooth and refreshing.

D - Easy to drink and an awesome brew. I drink this one every time I'm in the BrewPub and never get tired of it!

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Had on Draught at the brewery.

A-deep copper colored beer with brown hues allowing light to shine through. two fingers of a medium thickness, off white head that retains for some time leaving a decent lacing on the glass

S-citrus and grapefruit hops hit the nose first with a faint hint of a sweet caramel malt

T-a light caramel malt hits the tongue first followed by a nice light citrus hop taste and a very light bitter finish

M-very smooth and very limited amount of carbonation with a pretty nice medium body

D-very well balanced favoring the hops make this a super tasty beer that is backed by a great mouthfeel

On tap at Horseshoe Casino's Vintage 51 bar served in a pint glass. Wow, what an incredible ESB!

The aroma hops are huge in this beer. Smells very floral and fruity. Intense. Surprisingly, the hop character doesn't come through on the palate nearly as much (which it should not for this style - this isn't an IPA after all). I've never experienced a beer that is so very hoppy on the nose that does not also come through overly powerful on the tongue. Well done!

Tastes creamy, fruity, moderately bitter and completely refreshing. Quite enjoyable and very drinkable. It is powerful, yet could be sessionable in any season.

Taking into consideration the style, I can give this beer nothing less than a perfect rating. I truly believe that it cannot be improved upon any further as a draft ale. Except to say that I think it would be even more incredible as a cask ale. It is the perfect ESB.

Admiral Lord Nelson just raised the bar for this category.

Attention Three Floyds! Are you listening? You MUST make as a hand pulled cask ale version of this.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Served in an imperial/nonic pint glass at FFF Brew Pub. I'm psyched that this place now falls on the route between home and the in-law's. I've stopped here for lunch twice now on the way and had great beer and food both times.

A: 1 finger cream colored head with great retention. Hazy brownish amber liquid.
S: Pacific NW hops are dominant. Dank and weedy. Very nice. Couldn't get a read on any malt
T: Piney, a tad tannic and harsh. Tasty though. Not very malty. Biting alcohol
M: A bit astringent, very bitter.
D: Very good. I'd order another and buy a sixer. I tried to buy a growler, but the batch was too small to allow that they said :-( Bottles are coming out in January apparently.

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a deep amber color with one finger of white head.

Scent of strong, sweet hops, sugars and a hint of caramel. Much more hoppy that a typical ESB, but that is to be expected with Three Floyds.

Taste of bitter, fruity hops, caramel, and sugar. Finishes with more bitter and resiny hops. Strangely savory, all around a damn good beer.

Mouthfeel is medium light bodied and slight with a good strong carbonation.

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a hazy rust amber color with a shallow loose foamy light tan head that fades to spotty patterns of Belgian lacing.

Smell suggests that this one is going to land outside the box...a substantial piny, floral hop bouquet with a somewhat sweeter undertone, but not what most would consider "true to style".

A tame offering by FFF standards, the citrus character edges out the sweet earthy malt flavor.

An easy drinker, I understand that this one will be 'bottle bound' soon. Unique product that I look forward to trying it again once this controversial, potentially notorious, British maritime hero is preserved forever as another 3-Floydian caricature.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Had this one on tap at the Chicago Street Pub in Joliet, IL today.

A= This ale poured a slightly cloudy deep amber color with a 1/4" bubbly tan head. The head retained throughout and left huge sheets of lacing down my glass.

S= Lots of pine and citrus hops in this one. The malts were definitely overwhelmed against those hops and I could only just find a mild sweetness in the aroma.

T= Though this was technically way too hoppy for the style, it still tasted damn good. The front end was all piney hop resins and bitter citrus notes. Abut halfway through the malt base kicked in just enough to take the edge off the hops and set up the dry finish.

MF= Medium body - almost felt like the brewer might have snuck a bit of rye in there as the body was deliciously slick. Carbonation was moderately high, making this one finish nice and crisp.

D= A very enjoyable beer that breaks all of the "rules", but then there aren't a lot of rules for this style. I would have liked to see a bit more caramel sweetness in there but its a good beer for sure.

3.89/5  rDev -5.8%

On tap at Three Floyds Brewpub, served in a Nonic pint glass

Smell, really big and pine-y hops. Almost offensive to a point. Little biscuit and twang from the alcohol.

Taste, Damn. Big pine-y hops up front. A smidge of dough creeps though, along with some residual sweetness. But gosh darn, do those hops come out. The malt here just didn't stand a chance.

Overall, a big dose of hops, and way too much for the style. But gosh o' gosh was this beer tasty. An ESB for the American Hop Head if there ever was one.

3.92/5  rDev -5.1%

On tap at the Three Floyds Brewpub. Served in an English pint glass. Pours a deep red/amber with a nice tan fluffy head. The head diminishes quickly. Leaves some nice lacing. Aroma is of lighly sweet fruity dry hops. Flavor is all sweet hops with sublte notes of caramel and fruit. Medium creamy body with a lightly bitter finish. This beer is excellent. Very smooth. A nice surprise!

4.5/5  rDev +9%

doubtless the top esb i've had, even better than boont or rogue. a deep, clear dark ruby in the glass with an off-white head and lacing. signature 3f's aromas of citric hops and sweet malt. some dark fruit and floral aromas as well in the nose. taste is balanced a little more towards the sweet malt despite the listed 55 ibu's which seemed to be playing a supportive role. not that i was complaining, though. perfectly carbonated, creamy, and lively. medium-bodied with a medium-long finish. this would be a top choice were i not at 3f's. having it fresh at the pub didn't hurt this one. one of the favorites among my party at our last visit to 3f's.
have had this several times since it's bomber release and surprisingly i've been even more impressed each time. best esb ever.

4.16/5  rDev +0.7%

English summer days
I cannot wait to return
Indiana spring

This is one of the better bitters I've had lately (on par with Rogue's Brutal Bitter) and it is very disappointing that they actually stopped serving it while I was at the pub. Nevertheless, I obviously got there just in time to try this stellar offering. Citrusy, but not quite as hoppy as some bitters (rogue), this was just right.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

Great amber, copper hue with very small and slow bubbles heading to the surface. LIght foamy head at time of serving that lasts for a few minutes after the first few sips. The aroma was a piney, floral hop bouquet with some bready mlats lingering here and there. Almost makes me think of candy for some reason. The taste has a great malty sweetness mixed with the complex hop bitterness. The mouthfeel was a little tooo astringent for an English beer. But still syrupy and smooth. Great beer.

firstprev| 576-600 | 601-625 | 626-650  | next → last
Lord Rear Admiral from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.