Alpha King | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Reviews: 1,814 | Ratings: 6,365
4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Dark for a pale ale... looks almost like an IPA. Pours a deep copper hue that is almost brown with a 1/2" head. The head could be alot better, but the bartenders pour wasnt exactly aggressive.

Big citrusy hop aroma. Lots of lemon with some resin in the backbone... the aroma, too, is IPA-esque.... very nice.

Huge hoppy citurs flavour... reminds me alot of Dale's Pale Ale, if maybe a touch more bitter. Very nice, and significantly more hoppy than your typical PA.

Decently thick body with a crisp feel.... quite nice.

This is one hop bomb of a PA, but still maintains its drinkability. An absolutely fantastic pale, and one I expect will be a regular in my fridge.

4.19/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Amber/copper with a great sized head. Some lacing was left, but not a huge amount.

S: Somewhat subdued citrus & pine hops with a caramel sweetness.

T: Really well balanced and drinkable. I was expecting a hop bruiser, but I was surprised by how easy going this one is. There's a great amount of hop flavor, but it is definitely backed up with malt and body.

M: Simply awesome. It's nice and full, smooth and silky.

D: This is a really good beer. I wish that I didn't have to trade for it. If it was distributed in my area, it would absolutely be a beer that I would buy again and again.

I have actually had this beer at the Three Floyds brewery. Doesn’t get much closer to the source than that! As a matter of fact, when we were leaving they were bottling beer that would literally be sold inside the brewpub. So yeah, it was fresh! I like this beer a LOT too, so I am stoked this is on the list.

The brewery is located in Indiana. It’s just south of Chicago, so if you are ever in the windy city stop by the brewery. It’s actually funny; it’s located in an industrial park. It doesn’t fit at all. And when you walk in, the place does not look like a place for beer but rather narcotics and marijuana. (I say that in the nicest way possible. If you have ever been there, you know what I am talking about.)

The beer smells incredible! There is so much going on. It’s the epitome of complex. For a beer that is often referred to as a blond, it’s not very… blond in the glass. It’s almost red, but once you take a sip it doesn’t matter what color it is.

The beer hits your palate and does somersaults down your throat. There is SO much going on, it’s hard to keep up. Perhaps I shall have another drink and try to explain what you experience here. At first, it’s a bit carbonated but that is quickly replaced with a sweet, almost dry mouthfeel. Then you are hit with sheer utter bitterness. But that’s okay… that is what makes this beer so darn good.

The beer itself is pretty low in alcohol content, which makes this a dangerous beer to fall in love with. But it’s got such a good aftertaste, I will drink until I can’t drink no more! Plus, the logo is sick. Sick and creepy! This is a great beer, and not what you expect from a beer made right here in the Hoosier state. Funny thing is, their Dark Lord is oftentimes voted as the best beer in the world. It’s also nearly impossible to get.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Ahh, the elusive Three Floyds beer are always a treat (I'm stuck on the West Coast) and this was no exception.

The beer poured a rich orange hue and had a nice tan head. The aroma was a pungent burst of citrus and pine. The maltiness was a light caramel sweetness with some dextrins adding to a hearty mouthfeel for a pale ale. The hops were bold, but well balanced by the malt. Carbonation was right on.

This is an excellent beer that I would never pass up if I saw some in front of me. It's on par with the Bell's Two Hearted ale, which in my opinion really puts it in the category of IPA, albeit on the milder side of American IPAs.

3.63/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz into a DFH Signature Glass

Pours a reasonable clear amber with a dense, quickly receding head. Not much lacing.

Not much going on with the nose. A little spicy hops, a little sweet malt. I'm wondering if I got an old bottle. What is there smells nice.

Flavor is somewhat grassy. Sweetness and a touch of booze in the middle. Big bitter finish.

Mouth is medium thin and pretty crisp. Highlight of the beer for me.

Somewhat disappointed. I've heard such great things about this beer, but I'm finding it to be kind of blah. I'm on the third of a six pack, so it isn't just one bad bottle. FFF needs to start bottle dating, especially for these hoppy brews. Not sure if this is old or what. I had a friend bring this back from Indiana for me, but based on this experience, I will not try this beer again until the FFF starts dating bottles.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

I poured this 12 oz. bottle into a large wine glass.

A: a whisper of cloudiness, deep orange-amber color, 1-finger orange-beige head quickly falls into a lovely, sticky cap with good, persistent lacing.

S: tropical/citrus fruit; including pineapple, tangerine, blood orange, grapefruit, underneath the abundant fruit aromas there is a rich, sweet malt core, reminiscent of panettone, also there is juniper, caramel, and orange zest. Wonderful balance and depth; I could sniff this beer forever!

T: all of the aforementioned fruits make a grand entrance at the front, including a bit of apple, quickly followed by the sweet, malty backbone, the middle showcases juniper, pine, and floral notes, as well as honey and caramel, and the long, long finish is tongue-squeezingly bitter with plenty of grass, pine, and white pepper.

M: medium-bodied, creamy/silky start, mineral/oily finish, low to moderate carbonation.

D: This is one wicked Pale Ale. Drinking it again after so many months I am reminded why I love this beer so.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Dark amber color and a thin but sturdy white foam cap. Big floral, fruity nose...citrus, caramel malts, and more floral alcohol esters. Really nice dry hop character, not too spicy, sprucey, juicy citrus notes of orange and grapefruit rind, and all balanced with sticky diacetyl. Sweetness varies between hard candy and honey. Medium body and a full mouthfeel that ends dry, bitter froth. The finish is bitter, some grapefruit twang and spicy hops. Extremely juicy and aggressive hop characters might push this beyond its style a little but its still very tasty and an easy drinker.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A- A dark amber with about a finger of head that ends fairly quickly leaving a little lacing on the glass.

S-I smell the hop resin at the begining, then the malts come in with their sweetness.

T-Well balanced hops and malt, It starts out with some orange type hops up front that compliment the malt perfectly

M-Good carbonation, well balanced

O-A week or so ago my friends wind to Indiana and gave me a call while I was work and asked if there was anything that I wanted from Indiana, and of course the first thing that came to mind was Three Floyds so this was in a mixed 6er that they brought back for me. I didn't really want to follow along with the pack and say something was good just because of the name on the baottle since this was my first experience with Three Floyds, but I do have to say that I wish I could pick some of this up in Iowa. I may have to make my own trip to pick some other FFF up, I can't wait to try some of the others in the 6er but unfortunatley they are not all FFF. If everything from them is this good I cant wait to try the others.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks to jzmaxson27 for sending me this beer!

A: Dark copper amber color. Nice off white fluffy head. Only about one finger. Gorgeous beer... would have been a 5 with a bigger head. Nice lacing.

S: Big time citrus hops hit me up front. Getting a nice presence from the caramel malts. Can definitely tell cascade hops are present! Slight orange zest too.

T: Whoa! This is great! Huge hop presence in this "APA". Big citrus hop presence. This is followed by a nice chewy caramel malt. Some fruitiness is present in the middle with a bitter/sweet finish. There's a nice interplay on the finish between the sweet malts and bitter hops.

M: Nice medium body. Definite chewy malt presence. Great carbonation.

O: This is absolutely a unique beer. There's a definite battle between sweet and bitter going on at the finish that I enjoyed. Being a hop head I totally dig the huge citrus hop presence. Worth the accolades it receives.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

A somewhat heavy pour yields very little head on this one. The color is dark burnt orange with moderate carbonation. Looks more like an IPA than most APAs I've seen. The smell is crisp and hoppy, both bitter and citrus smells coming through. A sweet malty backbone shows up too making this bold, slightly subdued but balanced.

Glug glug glug

The flavor reflects the smell mostly. I've a feeling I should have gotten this fresher somehow but I'm glad to be able to try it either way. The flavor is balanced and the hops that do come though are citrus all the way. A nice bittersweet edge with lemon feeling most prominent. The malt is sweet and kind of dry, it reminds me of a brown ale at this point. Overall a good APA by my standards but sadly I feel I've an old bottle so....bummer.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

12 oz bottle purchased at City Liquors in Providence, RI. Thanks Nick (beerpanther) and Frank (beerguy) for pointing me in the right direction in finding 3 Floyds brews outside of Indiana.

Beautiful pour, thick, rich head. Hazy copper body. Nice lacing.

Smells of hops and straw. Light hoppy taste, smooth! Teases the palate then disappears leaving little evidence that it was ever in your mouth.

I can see myself enjoying more than my fair share of these treats on a hot summer day.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

On-tap at the Yardhouse @ The Glen. Reviewed from notes on 8 June 2009.

A - Hazy dark amber with a thin head that leaves good lacing.

S - Big-time floral hops and toasted grains and caramel malt. Notes of apple and grapefruit as well.

T - Blast of hops, almost overpowering. Nice dry floral hop bitterness.

M - Light to medium body with slight carbonation.

D - A great sipper. High bitterness keeps it from being sessionable.

Simply an outstanding pale ale.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a slightly hazy copper tone. A small off white head provides good lacing.
A slight malty hop aroma. Hops seam a little piney. A fruity presence shows as the beer warms.
Flavor is of Piney hops up front of a malty backbone. A quick bittering aspect comes, but doesn't linger. The maltiness grows as the beer warms, and a slight cherry or fruit presence shows. Good beer.
Lighter side of medium bodied. Moderate carbonation and a slight dryness.
A fine Pale Ale with good flavor. Take home a 6 pack, it'll be worth it.

Serving type- 12 ounce bottle poured into my new Surly Pint glass. No born on or freshness date on bottle.

A- Pours a dark amber color white a light tan head and small head that disipates about half way down. No carbonation activity present in the beer.

S- Smells of citrusy hops and a biscuit malt undertone.

T- Nice hoppy flavor for a pale ale. Smooth, not bitter for the amount of hops present. Finishes mellow as the malt takes over. Good combination of hops and malt so that you aren't drinking a hop bomb of a beer.

Got this in the Educators BIF and I think that this is a solid pale ale. Most others I have tried have been a little hop weak in my opinion but this beer does not fall into that category. I think that it almost boderlines on an IPA, with its hop presence but it obviously falls short. A very solid pale ale that I wouldn't mind having around here.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks go out to Kegatron for this bottle in a trade. Great BA and awesome friend.

Pours a dark, hazy amber with 2 finger widths of slightly off-white yet bright head. Very creamy looking 1/8 inch thick ring is there the whole way through. There's some spotty lacing, but it's scraggly.

Aroma is made up of mostly brown sugar, but has some caramel and citrus lurking around too. Some indescript forest smell is here too, I don't want to label it pine though, as it seems a bit more generic than that. A hint of peppery-ness as well.

The malt plays a huge role up front, with lots of thick brown sugar flavor as well as caramel. The hops are well balanced though, and bring a LOT of citrus to the table. It's not that grapefruity type of citrus though, it's more of a soft orange/lemon type. Finishing up we get some sprucey/pine type flavors and a little bit of alcoholic cherry with some faint spice for the swallow.

Mouthfeel can't be improved in my opinion, it's absolutely fantastic. Somewhat creamy feeling with little tiny bubbles, a fair bit of heft in the body makes it a really good chewy consistency.

Overall this is a nice beer. Not the typical Pale Ale by any means, as the beer drinks pretty big. Surprising that it's only 6% with how much malt there is here. Overall this beer reminds me a lot of Drake's Gold Medal IPA, but maltier. Good stuff.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

poured into a pintr,this beer is a deep amber.smell is citrusy hops backed by a bit of biscuity sweetness.taste is big citrusy hops with a slight bit of earthiness.biscuity and caramel malt provides the back bone for this beer.medium bodied moderate carbonation,coupled with supreme balance makes this beer incredibly drinkable.

along with southern star pinebelt pale,this is probably my favorite APA.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I was extremely impressed with this pale ale. I like the idea of dropping the "India" moniker. The nose is great. Lots of citrus and pine, coupled with a sweet malt profile. The head is white and thin, but leaves a decent lacing. The color is orange with lots of red highlights. The taste is extremely balanced. The hops are quite present, but they seem to be just right. This isn't an Imperial IPA, just a well-hopped pale ale. There are some grapefruit notes alongside some hints of pine. These are balanced by a taste of toast or a biscuit flavor that balances the hops very well. The ABV is warming as you move through the beer. The finish is very clean and keeps you coming back for more. Wow! This is a great beer.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A hazy copper color with an light tan head. A big fruity aroma with good citrus, peach, and some tropical fruits. Also a nice malt sweetness in the aroma as well. Flavor follows closely with big fruit and a nice balanced maltiness. A moderate pine bitterness in the middle which blends well and finishes clean. A very flavorful beer for an APA.

4.02/5  rDev -5.6%

This beer poured a clear amber with a decent size slight off white head. The smell is dominated bye the hops but there is a decent amount of malt coming through. The hops were citrus and the malt was bready. I thought I smelt chocolate but my wife said I was insane. Slight bitter taste at first then the malt washes this away, then a slight bitter taste is left on the tongue. This beer is refreshing, the low carbonation and medium mouthfeel usually don't support this but it did here. Very good beer.

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Clear, mahogony brown with a thick, fluffy and sticky tan head.

Woody, piney smell, nearly all hops. Sweet carmel and a sugary toffee smell as well.

Bitter and hoppy, pine and wood ash. Sweeter malts are in there, and a wallop of warming alcohol comes near the end. Woody flavors are more pronounced as it warms, but its still a hop bomb. Piney flavor lingers.

Slick and full in the mouth. Oily and smooth generally.

Man, this is good sh*t. One of the most hoppy, aggressive pale ales I've had. Another one of those beers I couldn't believe I hadn't reviewed already.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass

It pours a amber reddish color with a small off white head, medium lacing and low retention.

The nose is a nice fairly balanced blend of orange, grassy hop aromas and some sweet toffee like malt aromas

The taste is much less balanced and more hop forward as I expect. Grassy hops dominate with just enough orange citrus to make me feel like I'm not chewing on the lawn. The bitterness is fairly harsh and resiny which I do not always appreciate. On the backend some vegetal flavors emerge which isn't so great and not what I usually remember. I know this is a fresh bottle as well.

Mouthfell is ok, some dryness because of the lasting bitterness. Drinkability is good for an APA. Overall I have always enjoyed this beer as something that is sometimes available in places that have a bad selection, and that's about where I'll keep it.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

A dark orange color with a great off-white head. Very dark for a Pale Ale.
Hops and fruity esters dominate but bread is also present.
Very interesting malt profile. Very unique, unfortunately I cannot place the flavor. Lots of hops and a biscuity sweet body to keep things balanced.
A full body and a great mouthfeel with great carbonation.
An absolutely fabulous APA. Possibly the best I have yet to try.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

A- Pours a light amber with one finger head. Minimal to no lacing as she goes down.

S- Piney right off the bat and citrus hops. You can smell the bitters in it as well.

T- Pine is again the starter. The hops finish is surprisingly more bitter than I expected, I don't care for the finish here.

M- Thinner easily a beer for a warmer day with the mouthfeel as light and carbonated as it is.

D- For 6 percent I would say it is very drinkable and hides the booze well. Some beers when you reach this point struggle to hide the booze while maintaining the integrity of the beer.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Alpha King moves near the top of my favorite pale ales, which was surprising because I did not really enjoy Three Floyd's Dreadnaught IPA.

The ale poured a perfect orange body with a lingering head. It looked beautiful in the glass. The aroma is citrus, pine and grapefruit tang, but a malty sweetness is also present.

The taste is bracing, but well-balanced. The NW hops are loaded into the flavor, but not at the expense of a very enjoyable, almost session-beer like smoothness. Wow, a very, very good beer.

Perhaps, my experience with this pale ale was the result of perfect lining up of the planets, but I can't remember drinking a better tasting pale ale in a long time.

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Schlafly pint glass. Dark amber, orange-tan head, slightly cloudy/hazy. Decent but not spectacular lacing. Pretty much everything I look for in a Pale.

S: Drool-inducing hop headiness. Evergreen and grapefruit-smelling hops and lots of them. The only brew I can think of that's better smelling - off the top of my head - is Troegs Nugget Nectar. And this is real, real close.

Taste. oh, dear me. Everything I want in a Pale. Everything. Hard hit of hops up fromt, mellowing into a spicy middle, finidhing with a bread-like maltiness. Very hoppy for a straight Pale. Hoppier than most IPA's, really. Delicious.

Mouthfeel takes a little ding b/c of the pure up-front strength of the hops. Once that's over and it hits the middle it opens up nicely. Smooth drinking after that.

Drinkability. I could drink this all day, every day.

This just entered by personal HoF. It is going to be a standby for as long as I can get it. I'm going back to Leo's Carry Out next weekend to get more, just to have around.

Bottom line: wow. Believe the hype. It's that good.

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.