Alpha King | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Reviews: 1,801 | Ratings: 6,304
4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

On-tap at the Yardhouse @ The Glen. Reviewed from notes on 8 June 2009.

A - Hazy dark amber with a thin head that leaves good lacing.

S - Big-time floral hops and toasted grains and caramel malt. Notes of apple and grapefruit as well.

T - Blast of hops, almost overpowering. Nice dry floral hop bitterness.

M - Light to medium body with slight carbonation.

D - A great sipper. High bitterness keeps it from being sessionable.

Simply an outstanding pale ale.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a slightly hazy copper tone. A small off white head provides good lacing.
A slight malty hop aroma. Hops seam a little piney. A fruity presence shows as the beer warms.
Flavor is of Piney hops up front of a malty backbone. A quick bittering aspect comes, but doesn't linger. The maltiness grows as the beer warms, and a slight cherry or fruit presence shows. Good beer.
Lighter side of medium bodied. Moderate carbonation and a slight dryness.
A fine Pale Ale with good flavor. Take home a 6 pack, it'll be worth it.

Serving type- 12 ounce bottle poured into my new Surly Pint glass. No born on or freshness date on bottle.

A- Pours a dark amber color white a light tan head and small head that disipates about half way down. No carbonation activity present in the beer.

S- Smells of citrusy hops and a biscuit malt undertone.

T- Nice hoppy flavor for a pale ale. Smooth, not bitter for the amount of hops present. Finishes mellow as the malt takes over. Good combination of hops and malt so that you aren't drinking a hop bomb of a beer.

Got this in the Educators BIF and I think that this is a solid pale ale. Most others I have tried have been a little hop weak in my opinion but this beer does not fall into that category. I think that it almost boderlines on an IPA, with its hop presence but it obviously falls short. A very solid pale ale that I wouldn't mind having around here.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks go out to Kegatron for this bottle in a trade. Great BA and awesome friend.

Pours a dark, hazy amber with 2 finger widths of slightly off-white yet bright head. Very creamy looking 1/8 inch thick ring is there the whole way through. There's some spotty lacing, but it's scraggly.

Aroma is made up of mostly brown sugar, but has some caramel and citrus lurking around too. Some indescript forest smell is here too, I don't want to label it pine though, as it seems a bit more generic than that. A hint of peppery-ness as well.

The malt plays a huge role up front, with lots of thick brown sugar flavor as well as caramel. The hops are well balanced though, and bring a LOT of citrus to the table. It's not that grapefruity type of citrus though, it's more of a soft orange/lemon type. Finishing up we get some sprucey/pine type flavors and a little bit of alcoholic cherry with some faint spice for the swallow.

Mouthfeel can't be improved in my opinion, it's absolutely fantastic. Somewhat creamy feeling with little tiny bubbles, a fair bit of heft in the body makes it a really good chewy consistency.

Overall this is a nice beer. Not the typical Pale Ale by any means, as the beer drinks pretty big. Surprising that it's only 6% with how much malt there is here. Overall this beer reminds me a lot of Drake's Gold Medal IPA, but maltier. Good stuff.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

poured into a pintr,this beer is a deep amber.smell is citrusy hops backed by a bit of biscuity sweetness.taste is big citrusy hops with a slight bit of earthiness.biscuity and caramel malt provides the back bone for this beer.medium bodied moderate carbonation,coupled with supreme balance makes this beer incredibly drinkable.

along with southern star pinebelt pale,this is probably my favorite APA.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I was extremely impressed with this pale ale. I like the idea of dropping the "India" moniker. The nose is great. Lots of citrus and pine, coupled with a sweet malt profile. The head is white and thin, but leaves a decent lacing. The color is orange with lots of red highlights. The taste is extremely balanced. The hops are quite present, but they seem to be just right. This isn't an Imperial IPA, just a well-hopped pale ale. There are some grapefruit notes alongside some hints of pine. These are balanced by a taste of toast or a biscuit flavor that balances the hops very well. The ABV is warming as you move through the beer. The finish is very clean and keeps you coming back for more. Wow! This is a great beer.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A hazy copper color with an light tan head. A big fruity aroma with good citrus, peach, and some tropical fruits. Also a nice malt sweetness in the aroma as well. Flavor follows closely with big fruit and a nice balanced maltiness. A moderate pine bitterness in the middle which blends well and finishes clean. A very flavorful beer for an APA.

4.02/5  rDev -5.6%

This beer poured a clear amber with a decent size slight off white head. The smell is dominated bye the hops but there is a decent amount of malt coming through. The hops were citrus and the malt was bready. I thought I smelt chocolate but my wife said I was insane. Slight bitter taste at first then the malt washes this away, then a slight bitter taste is left on the tongue. This beer is refreshing, the low carbonation and medium mouthfeel usually don't support this but it did here. Very good beer.

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Clear, mahogony brown with a thick, fluffy and sticky tan head.

Woody, piney smell, nearly all hops. Sweet carmel and a sugary toffee smell as well.

Bitter and hoppy, pine and wood ash. Sweeter malts are in there, and a wallop of warming alcohol comes near the end. Woody flavors are more pronounced as it warms, but its still a hop bomb. Piney flavor lingers.

Slick and full in the mouth. Oily and smooth generally.

Man, this is good sh*t. One of the most hoppy, aggressive pale ales I've had. Another one of those beers I couldn't believe I hadn't reviewed already.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass

It pours a amber reddish color with a small off white head, medium lacing and low retention.

The nose is a nice fairly balanced blend of orange, grassy hop aromas and some sweet toffee like malt aromas

The taste is much less balanced and more hop forward as I expect. Grassy hops dominate with just enough orange citrus to make me feel like I'm not chewing on the lawn. The bitterness is fairly harsh and resiny which I do not always appreciate. On the backend some vegetal flavors emerge which isn't so great and not what I usually remember. I know this is a fresh bottle as well.

Mouthfell is ok, some dryness because of the lasting bitterness. Drinkability is good for an APA. Overall I have always enjoyed this beer as something that is sometimes available in places that have a bad selection, and that's about where I'll keep it.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

A dark orange color with a great off-white head. Very dark for a Pale Ale.
Hops and fruity esters dominate but bread is also present.
Very interesting malt profile. Very unique, unfortunately I cannot place the flavor. Lots of hops and a biscuity sweet body to keep things balanced.
A full body and a great mouthfeel with great carbonation.
An absolutely fabulous APA. Possibly the best I have yet to try.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

A- Pours a light amber with one finger head. Minimal to no lacing as she goes down.

S- Piney right off the bat and citrus hops. You can smell the bitters in it as well.

T- Pine is again the starter. The hops finish is surprisingly more bitter than I expected, I don't care for the finish here.

M- Thinner easily a beer for a warmer day with the mouthfeel as light and carbonated as it is.

D- For 6 percent I would say it is very drinkable and hides the booze well. Some beers when you reach this point struggle to hide the booze while maintaining the integrity of the beer.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Alpha King moves near the top of my favorite pale ales, which was surprising because I did not really enjoy Three Floyd's Dreadnaught IPA.

The ale poured a perfect orange body with a lingering head. It looked beautiful in the glass. The aroma is citrus, pine and grapefruit tang, but a malty sweetness is also present.

The taste is bracing, but well-balanced. The NW hops are loaded into the flavor, but not at the expense of a very enjoyable, almost session-beer like smoothness. Wow, a very, very good beer.

Perhaps, my experience with this pale ale was the result of perfect lining up of the planets, but I can't remember drinking a better tasting pale ale in a long time.

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Schlafly pint glass. Dark amber, orange-tan head, slightly cloudy/hazy. Decent but not spectacular lacing. Pretty much everything I look for in a Pale.

S: Drool-inducing hop headiness. Evergreen and grapefruit-smelling hops and lots of them. The only brew I can think of that's better smelling - off the top of my head - is Troegs Nugget Nectar. And this is real, real close.

Taste. oh, dear me. Everything I want in a Pale. Everything. Hard hit of hops up fromt, mellowing into a spicy middle, finidhing with a bread-like maltiness. Very hoppy for a straight Pale. Hoppier than most IPA's, really. Delicious.

Mouthfeel takes a little ding b/c of the pure up-front strength of the hops. Once that's over and it hits the middle it opens up nicely. Smooth drinking after that.

Drinkability. I could drink this all day, every day.

This just entered by personal HoF. It is going to be a standby for as long as I can get it. I'm going back to Leo's Carry Out next weekend to get more, just to have around.

Bottom line: wow. Believe the hype. It's that good.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

had this on draft at Pazzo's in Lexington, KY. out of all the beers we tried, this was by far the best of the lineup. if you saw all of the offerings this joint has on tap, you would know this is saying something.

orange and gold, with a pale colored cap. lots of lacing all the way down the pint glass

The nose is citrusy hoppy. Not overpowering but just a good mix of orange peel, grapefruit and all things citrus

The flavor has a citrusy hop bite that is more characteristic of IPA's than APA's. plenty of malt to balance things out. Flavors include grapefruit and orange peel primarily.

The mouthfeel is plenty smooth, medium body with just the right carbonation. no complaints here.

Drinkability is high... nice and smooth, very well-balanced.

Alpha King does seem more like an IPA than a true APA. I ain't complaining because that's just my game! I will be looking for a clone to brew and if you know me, you know that is the ultimate compliment. well done, FFF.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Paid $1.71 for a 12 oz single.

This is probably the best standard pale ale I've ever had. Definitely the Alpha King; as the name implies, a seriously hopped beer here. Malt is second (but still present) to citrusy hops. Wonderful. A great session beer. I wish we could get more 3 Floyds stuff in NW Ohio.

4.89/5  rDev +14.8%

Picked this up tonight in the cold section at a bottle shop in Highland IN and an consuming in my Munster hotel room Dark Lord Day eve.

Poured in a clear 10 oz plastic cup. Not much head. A dark copper color - darker than what one would expect from a pale ale.

Exceptional pale ale aroma - citrus hop aroma and a touch of bread from the malt.

Flavor is clean and fruity with high hop bitterness.

Halfway through, I'm swirling to generate a head. Interesting that the head is a very light tan. A reflection on the darkness of this pale ale. Not to the point of detracting, but certainly worth noting for a pale ale.

One of the best.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured a clear mahogony topped with a frothy cream head. Head never completely dissappears from the glass. Aroma starts with a wiff of pine and a floral accent. Carbonation is low to moderate. The taste blankets the tongue with hops, but there is some malty sweetness underneath.

If you are a hophead, this is a must have, but don't rule this out if you aren't. For a beer with this kind of hop bitterness, it is very drinkable.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

Bottle. Clear copper/orange pour beneath a thin, but persistant bone white head.

Aromas of freshly sliced grapefruit and orange dominate with a hint of pine and caramel malts in the background.

Mouthfeel is fairly light and smooth.

Although somewhat tauted as a hop-bomb, I found the balance of this APA to be its strength. The citrusy/pine hop flavors are incredibly balanced with the caramel malt sweetness to make this a classic, benchmark APA. Finishes clean and crisp with a fairly aggressive bitterness. Great stuff!

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

bottle served around 50f....pours with a very large head into a pint glass. interesting variant on pale ale, as normally they are not hop-bombs.

Nose is overwhelmingly hops, surprise surprise. The taste starts out with a dominant hop note (don't know which variety), the background of the beer almost invisible at first. Eventually some of the pale malt fades into the aftertaste, but this is without a doubt a hop bomb, as intended.

At 6% sessioning this might be a bit short-lived, but it is a very enjoyable hoppy beer, typical of the quality I have found in 3 floyds' products.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

A - Pours a clear, off-white head with very dense bubbles. Much of the head dissipates after a minute, leaving a nice ring. Light amber color to this beer, and it is very clear as well.

S - The two scents that caught my nostrils was the smell of floral hops and the spicy smell of alcohol. Maybe a hint of apple?

T - The hops are undeniable. Little to no malt present. As with most APAs, it left a dry, tart aftertaste in my mouth. The taste of alcohol was a little strong for a beer of this type (in my opinion).

M - Medium bodied with little carbonation

First of all, I really enjoyed the beer. My only concern is that it seems more along the lines of an IPA than APA to me. Otherwise, a great beer!

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

on-tap at Bar Deville. Hard to go wrong with 3F's. Great pour from the bartender. Rich amber color with a hoppy but balanced nose. What a great beer. Will do a bottle review sometime too. Try it for yourself. If you can find it. I go out sometimes even when I feel like kicking back and watching a movie to drink this on-tap because 6 packs are so hard to find, even though this brewery is not far from Chicago.

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was checking out some of my old reviews to see if I needed to update anything when I found that I had never reviewed Alpha King...what the hell's up with that! It's one of my favorites. So, I had to go get a sixer for a fresh viewpoint...

Anyhoo, on with the review:
Nice amber color, good head that left some lace on the glass. Too much yeast floating around. The yeast didn't bother me while drinking, but it wasn't a very appetising (sp?) sight. Grapefruit and floral hops dominate the oh-so-wonderful aroma. Pretty damn hoppy for an APA (really closer to IPA). Wonderful bitterness in this beer. It's a must for hopheads. Nice thick mouthfeel. This ale, truly, is "meat, drink, and cloth" - it's all one needs in life. At 7+ abv, this is a pretty damn drinkable beer.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured an orange color with a small, off white head, that left nice lacing on the glass. Citrusy hop aroma, as well as a bitter hop flavor, with some grape taste as well. Very nice malt backbone as well. This can be drank more frequently than Dreadnaught.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in my Pizza Port commemorative pint glass. Pours deep orange amber with minimal white head.
Smells citrusy and grassy.
Tastes hoppy and smooth. Hops are present but not overwhelming.
Mouthfeel nice as well. I drank this straight, but I'd love to pair it with a good pizza. Very drinkable as well. The more I drank this beer, the smoother it got.

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.