Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Alpha King | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Reviews: 1,792 | Ratings: 6,254
4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a dark amber with a 1 inch foam head that stuck around a left lacing down the glass.

Does not have a strong smell, but I think I am getting hints of a citrus smell.

Taste has a nice smooth malt at the start with a little hop bite to finish. This beer is very well balanced. Would probably be nice up higher ABV session beer.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a slightly hazy red/copper. Beautiful off white, frothy head that leaves ridiculously good lacing and has great lasting power.

S: BIG hop aroma, especially for a "pale ale." Most IPAs can't hold a candle to how delicious this one smells. I get a ton of citrus, namely grapefruit, with a nice little caramel malt lingering in the background.

T: Hops are all over this one. Lots of sweet grapefruit. I get actually get a decent amount of piney spice and bitterness just after swallowing. The malt backbone is very decent and makes this beer feel rich and nourishing. It's got that west coast dry finish.

M: Medium and with real soft carbonation, just like it should be. This one goes down real smooth.

This was one of my first loves getting into craft beer, and to be honest, it still is among one of my favorites. I've also had it on tap and it was fantastic!

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

This beer is translucent golden amber with a healthy white head. The smell is of citrus and grassy hops, with a sweet hint of candy. Taste is pine, grapefruit, and sweetness. mouthfell is dryness from hops. Overall this beer tastes like a combination between avery ipa and pliney the elder. YUM! thanks to gcurlow!

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a beautiful amber/orange color with a small cream colored head...lots of lacing after a few minutes. This smells hoppy and citrus-y. Taste is sweet and smoothat first but is followed by a hoppy bite. This tastes good and not overly hoppy for the style. I wouldn't want too many at once though. This is certainly something to try.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Branchline tumbler. Bottle dated 1/16/14. Right at two months.

Gold brown put with thick white head. Liners and left a lot of lacing. Dark for a pale.

Pine and bread in the aroma. Like a bakery in a forest.

Smooth and balanced. The second best balance I've ever had with a hoppy beer (after Pliny). Herbal, grassy up front with a pine after-taste.

Smashing pale ale. I think the best I've tried. Thanks to BeerJesus for this throw in!

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a nice orange with a slowly forming white head.

Smell is citrusy, very hoppy but balanced with a bready malt presence.

Flavor is great. Bitter, piney hops juxtaposed with an almost dried-apricot like sweetness, finishing on the dry side with light lingering hops. Alot of pale ales are very one-sided, and while Alpha King doesn't go light on the hops by any measure, it manages to balance the boldness beautifully.

Seriously, try one.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Had on tap at Floyds / Growler and bottle. WOW! Enough cannot be said about this gem. Definitely one of the best pale ales Ive ever tasted. So balanced and wonderful. Aroma contains some fruit hints and hop character. Appearance beautiful golden brown/red. Taste amazingly balanced, the hops and malt are mated in the smoothest fashion. On the palate it is almost medium bodied with sweetness and hop covering your tongue. Overall I must say Three Floyds is an amazing craft brewer who has hit the mark with this and all their amazing beers. Definitely one of the best!

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into a glass with a copper head that has orange highlights. The white head was about a finger thick - nice lacing on the glass. There's a strong orange grapefruit aroma with a roast malt and caramels. There's definitely a hops presence, but this is very balanced and clean with a crisp finish.

This is a great session beer. I'd like to always have a 6-pack handy in my fridge.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

12 oz bottle poured into tumbler.

A: Pours a deep golden brown, almost a true copper - just a bit darker. 1" off-white head, nice full lacing.

S: Whoa, that's a lot of hop nose for an APA! Smells delcious, bit of grapefruit hues, some breadiness from the malt, but hops dominate here. A nice undertone of piney, grassy hops as well.

T: This is an ipa, period. And a damn fine one at that. Fairly well balanced, hops do run wild all over this one, big citrus initially, finishes with a nice pine bitterness. Malt backbone is sturdy and balances out the brew well, but it is more earthy and biscuity than sweet.

M: Nice medium body, the malt base provides a very smooth and enjoyable experience. No carbonation zap, finishes bitter and crisp.

D: If available at home, I could see this as a regular session beer.

My first impression of FFFs, and a good one. Maybe a little misclassified, but I'm never disappointed by a good hoppy beer.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from chilled 12oz bottle into tulip glass.

A: A rich hazy amber-orange (beautiful color!) with a small beige head that sticks around, leaving nice lacing.

S: A wallop of citrus hops - it's like sticking your face in a grapefruit-pine-forest. Sweet caramel malts shine through on the end.

T: The is the most IPA-ish APA I've ever had, which is likely why it scores so consistently high with reviewers (though that's certainly not to say it isn't delicious enough to earn such ratings.) Strong citrus & pine hop presence with the perfect amount of bitterness supported by a hefty caramel malt backbone that keeps the finish perfectly bittersweet. Wonderful.

M: Medium-light body with great carbonation. Slightly oily. Delicious and refreshing.

D: This is one hell of a beer. 6.5% ABV is a tad high to be truly sessionable. However, it wouldn't be difficult in the least for me to polish off a sixer of this on my own.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Recieved from Josh (Alleykatking). Thanks buddy. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my Unibroue Tulip.

A - Copper red in color as I pour with a very slight tinge of haziness in the glass. Still can see through it but its not crystal clear. Forms a nice 3 finger head as I pour and I have to stop pouring the last ounce or so because the head is coming out of the glass. The head is a tan / light off white color and looks pretty sticky but only some stays as the rest fades.

S - Smells of citrusy hops, pineapple, grapefruit and some orange. This beer has a nice malty smell to it as well which I like to smell in it. I smell some cinnamon or some spice in it as well. Intriguing.

T - Really smooth citrusy hops come through and stay there as the malt comes through after and add a nice smoothness to the beer. A very nice combination of flavors and complexities in this one, I really like the taste of this one. The flavor is so much bigger than the smell.

M - Good carbonation and a very crisp mouthfeel make this one nice and refreshing to go along with the nice flavors.

D - A very drinable beer, not something I'm reaching for first in the fridge but definitely a old standby that I could always rely on. Bummed out that FFF doesn't distribute to Ohio. That needs to happen again.

4.93/5  rDev +15.7%

A- thick fluffy head (3 fingers in speigel IPA glass). Great lacing. Copper, almost ruby-red and clear, no haze.

S - classic 3 Floyd's clean, amazingly floral and citric, resinous hop aromas, with slight Carmel malt presence

F- Forward, rich Carmel and sweet bread are balanced out by big hop flavor (Centennial perhaps?).

M - perfect mouth feel for an APA. Smooth and drinkable, not too thick or syrupy

O - Overall, this is a great beer. One of my favorites. big Flavors on both sides of the spectrum, but they manage to find a perfect balance.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Copper to amber in color the beer poured a 1/2" tight head that dissipated slowly. The nose was filled with piney hops followed by a bit of grapefruit, spice and caramel. These flavors cointinue into the mouth which was concentrated and had good weight though remained light on its feet. The midpalate had richness and sweetness to it which gradually turned dry toward the finish. This is a really well made beer that I could drink all of the time.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Acquired from thickerfreakness. Thanks dude! Decanted from the bottle into a pint glass. Pours an amber color with a one-finger head that fizzles away quickly. Aroma of resiny hops, citrus hops, and big, sweet caramel malt. Taste starts with a pleasant resiny bitterness, then the citrus kicks in, and finally it finishes with caramel and bready malts. Nice medium body, with a quite high drinkability. Honestly this tastes more like an IPA to me, but I'm a hophead, so I'm quite into this beer.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Thanks to 3 Floyds for producing this incredible brew.
I poured this vigorously into an imperial pint. Dark, orange, hazy, thick looking with about one fat finger of very clingy foam. Left lacing that looks like a church window.
Super floral hoppy, citrusy fresh aroma, kinda piney.
Well rounded super hoppy, malty flavor, that improves as it warms. Bursting with flavor! This should be drank slowly, but goes down so easly. for me this is as about as good as it gets.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

received as an extra from TheTomG, thanks!

A - beautiful caramel brown
S - soft citrus notes with an even softer hint of pine
T - really nicely balanced malt/hop flavor that hits the spot. Huge fan of beers that have that kind of balance.
M - hop-linger and then salivation
D - if I had 6 of these, they would be gone tonight.

Almost everything I encouter that comes with hype ends up dissapointing me or pissing me off to the point that I stay away. Three Floyds and this beer in particular seemed overhyped but I gotta say, "damn good beer!'

Poured from a growler into a pint glass, thanks to calbertb2

A - Copper with a slight reddish tint and a nice two finger head, which stays around a little while but leaves some lacing as soon as it recedes. Some floaties as well.

S - I get pine off of this first with some citrus behind that. Lots of hops, with malt sweetness supporting it the whole way. Surprising hop presence for a pale ale and not an IPA. Nothing extraordinary, but it smells great - very well balanced.

T - I get more malt here than in the nose, but the hops immediately follow. Very close to the nose otherwise. Again, a little more hoppy than I would expect a pale ale to be. Very well balanced resulting in a kind of sweet, slightly bitter malty finish

M - A little bit flatter than I was expecting from the pour, but generally agreeable. Definitely very smooth with a nice lingering finish that continues to ask for another sip.

D - Extremely drinkable, had no problem finishing most of a growler by myself. The finish leads me to keep drinking more and more. There's nothing too special about it, but when I finish my glass I realize how good it was and pour another. I'd definitely like to get some more of this. One of the better American Pale Ale's I've had, holding its own with a lot of IPA's.

3.94/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a crappy little hotel tumbler glass from a too-cold bottle.

A: pours a ruddy orange with a decent white head that doesn't stick around too long but leaves decent lacing

S: great hop aroma, with a good malty backbone. This glass is really not codusive to this!

T: love. It's hoppy but not overly, malty sweet but not overly, just a great balance.

M: what I expect from a pale ale. Thin mouthfeel with light, zesty carbonation. Smooth.

D: very. Wish I had more right now!

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A- Pours a slightly cloudy deep amber color. About one finger of creamy white head that sticks around. Leaves some beautiful lacing.

S- A very aromatic piney smell from the hops is dominant. I love the smell of the this beer.

T- The bitter hop flavor is plentiful and hits the palate first. This beer has a complexity of other flavors such as citrus and toasted malts.

M- Very crisp mouthfeel with medium carbonation.

O- Excellent APA that I could drink everyday. If this is something that you have never had, it is a must try. It is the standard for the style.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Three Floyds likes hops and alcohol. Personally, I'd call its Dreadknought IPA a double IPA and ths an IPA.. Fortunately, the penchant for "bigness" is counterbalanced with a lot of skill and taste, unlike, say, Dogfish Head which is in my opinion devoted to extremism for extremism's sake. This is a good and very drinkable beer.
The color is a medium/dark amber with a slight haze and nice dry, stiff head that persists and laces nicely. The aroma is overwhelmingly hops, floral and grassy.

The taste is much more balanced than the aroma suggests.Surprisingly rich and malty and up front, the hops are there for sure but more tangy and citrusy than the aroma and it finishes with a brisk bitterness and surprisingly clean aftertaste.

It's medium bodied with medium/high carbonation and very drinkable. I guess it's labeled an American Pale Ale because it uses American grown barley and hops but it's very similar in character to a traditional IPA and a very good one.

3.44/5  rDev -19.2%

I waited for awhile to try this beer. In fact, probably ever since I joined this website I've been wanting to try it. APAs and IPAs are my favorite two styles, and as this was highly ranked, was on my "to-drink" list, yet I could never find it at my local liquor stores. (Too much demand, limited quantities stocked).

Finally found this and tried it. Drinkable, with good but not intense hop flavors/aromas. Lighter body.

Overall it's just an OK pale ale. Not bad, just not great. If you have the option of buying a Daisy Cutter (and I know this isn't really a fair option to many), buy the DC. Daisy Cutter is by far a top example of the APA style, and has a certain crispness to it that Alpha King can't boast.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured into a pint glass. Pristine amber with thin, patchy head that fizzes up a little with each sip.
Smells like an IPA- hoppy, with some pineapple and bready aromas.
Tastes like an IPA as well, though perhaps not quite as bitter and hoppy as most IPAs. Some citrus and crackers. Definite bitterness on the finish though.
Mouthfeel is crisp and tingly, with a good level of carbonation.
Quite drinkable and quite tasty. Too bad I only have one bottle.
I'm very happy FFF brews are starting to turn up in some of the Wisconsin liquor stores. Looking forward to trying more from this brewery.

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours hazy Carmel with an off white foam. That 3 Floyds nose hits, this is a great smelling beer, hops fruity with some pine, not a lot of malt for me. Smooth body light/medium. Lemon acidity on sides of tounge right away, then the hit of bitterness, then piney resony after taste with the bitterness fading. Really drinkable. Not as bitter or fruit as Zombie but smoother. Excellent brew.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

A - The beer pours a light amber color with a very small off-white head.
The head does not retain well and you find very little lacing.

S - I smell a strong hop presence, although not overwhelming. I'm also getting some caramel malts as well.

T - The citrus flavor takes over this beer but it's balanced out nicely by the malts that are more apparent as the beer warms.

M - The beer has a medium body. It coats quite well for the style.

D - Supremely drinkable. I could have one of these every day. The only problem is, of course, that Three Floyds does not distribute to SoCal.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this one. It's one of my standbys. Shame on me. But, nevertheless, a good one to finish off the night.

Pours a hazy burnt orange-gold, with a light off-white head. Head doesn't last for long - it was a wuss pour, so chalk that up to me. The cap sticks around a while though. Great lacing. The nose is citrusy and has a fresh hoppy aroma, but it's not a hop bomb. In addition to the hop flavor, there's good malt backing, and as a result this is pretty balanced. It's smooth and drinkable.

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.