Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Alpha King | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Reviews: 1,794 | Ratings: 6,258
4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this one. It's one of my standbys. Shame on me. But, nevertheless, a good one to finish off the night.

Pours a hazy burnt orange-gold, with a light off-white head. Head doesn't last for long - it was a wuss pour, so chalk that up to me. The cap sticks around a while though. Great lacing. The nose is citrusy and has a fresh hoppy aroma, but it's not a hop bomb. In addition to the hop flavor, there's good malt backing, and as a result this is pretty balanced. It's smooth and drinkable.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A: Nice unique amber color with an off white head. Fair amount of carbonation.

S: Grapefruit and other citrus.

T: Strong taste of grapefruit and other citrus. Some caramel. Some bitterness from the hops.

M: Medium bodied with some slight sweetness from the fruits. Good lively carbonation.

D: Quite enjoyable.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

poured into pint glass, rich amber in color with a miniscule amount of head that dissipates quickly. Nose is definitely malty, caramel and roastyness. On the tongue this thing rocks, very crisp. Lots of piney aromatic hops up front, but the malty backbone tones them down a bit through out the end. A good amount of grapefruit comes out when it warms up, with i think compliments the malty characteristic. excellent brew to go with a late summers night dinner, or to exhaust fatigue from a hard day's struggle.

4.19/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A real solid pale. The hoppy bitterness is well balanced by a heavy dose of malty/carmel sweetness. The smell is mostly carmel with a little herbal grassy/ hops, the taste follows suit. Has a medium body, but great for a pale ale. I did get a really fresh bottle so take that into consideration. (Bottled on 7/21/15). Do I dare say a baby Pliny the Elder?

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Three Floyds Alpha King a perfect example of a pale ale that is not dominated by a overwhelming presence of alcohol in a beer. The beer pours a copper color that reminds me of a amber ale with a nice head. Beer smells like grape fruit and whole wheat bread. Tast of this beer is something spectacular, the taste of the hops do not dominate this beer and blends smoothly with the malty finish of this beer. It is easy to drink a lot of these beers, but they do catch up with you given the modest ABV. Give this beer a try, you will not be dissapointed.

4.77/5  rDev +12%

A- Golden-brown. Clear with lots of carbonation. White, two finger head sits on top and dissipates a little, but a decent head sticks around.

S- Pineapple, lemon, orange, pine, hoppy.

T- Same as the smell, but with a great malt backbone to balance out the hopiness.

M- Good mouthfeel. Lots of carbonation makes this one refreshing.

D- Excellent. It's always hard for me to judge APA's because I have a tendency to think of them as weak IPA's, but keeping the style in mind, it's hard to think of too many ways this could improve.

2.9/5  rDev -31.9%

A friend left this in my fridge so I endulged today.

Poured into a pint glass. Poured into a dark amber/copper color with a finger head that laces down the glass as you drink.

Has a piny smell, not too strong.

Has a balance taste of hops and some fruits.

Has a medium mouthfeel with perfect amount of carbonation.

I personally don't like IPA's so I marked it as a low drinkablity.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Heavier IPA with piney resin. Tastes of pine, pineapple, lemon, limes. Moderate to excellent lacing. Overall a nice strong IPA with more kick than Zombie Dust. When I have had a few good beers I can drink this no problem

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

I love Alpha King. It was one of the first craft beers I really got into when living in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago, around 2003. There was a liquor store down the street that had 3-4 craft beers and this was one of them. (Another was a spoiled sixer of Abita Turbodog I bought once. It was AWFUL. Pure soy sauce!). I loved Alpha King from the start, and still do. I drank it when I was at the brewery way back then, before the brewpub existed and it was just a well-lit factory atmosphere. Some old-timers were drinking their Light Lager offering and eating some potato chips they had brought. It ruled. Citrus, caramel malt, a bit sticky, excellent. I had it on tap at MacNiven's during lunch (a liquid lunch in my case).. to celebrate the end of my first semester at grad school. I also had Bell's Sparkling Ale, which I was less impressed by but still enjoyed. Indianapolis is a good beer city. We have lots of good options.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a bottle (my one and only bottle) into a pint glass you see on those lame Sam Adam's Boston Lager commercials.
Alpha King pours a reddish amber with minimal head. I wish I had multiple bottles to see if that was the case with just this pour, but nope. The foam resides quickly after giving a good show for a few seconds and then proceeds to lace the glass as I continue to drink. The smell has a certain fruit characteristic to it and makes Alpha King smell kind of bitter. It's very reminiscent of an IPA actually in its smell, which made me check the bottle (the only bottle I have) to see if it in fact was an IPA in which in fact it was not, it's a pale ale; welcome to obvious statements by Josh. Alpha King actually has a very present hops flavor which I quite enjoy. The moderately bitter fruit taste, grapefruit, blends well with the malts that it makes me wish Three Floyd's distributed to Missouri. I really enjoy this beer, it reminds me of going to see Royal's Baseball games with my Dad when I was little kid. Except neither of us were drinking and this beer wouldn't be in the memory and the Royal's probably lost, not characteristic of this beer. Alpha King is something I could see myself relaxing with on a summer day watching a Baseball game or [fill in your favorite sporting event here].

4.11/5  rDev -3.5%

First taste of this beauty, and I walked away impressed. Very solid malt taste that works very well with the hop profile. This APA tasted very much like an IPA, which is fine by me.

Heard good things about Zombie Dust, so I'm excited to give it a try after trying AK.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

A - Ruddy brown or caramel colored body is brilliantly clear. Slightly khaki and cream head is long lived and lacing is good.

S - Big cascade hop smell to me, which is to say grainy and slight citrus. Decent malt backbone to it, there are no huge citrus/tropical fruit smells to it at all. Perhaps a slight orange characteristic in there somewhere.

T - Huge cascade notes with the signature grapefruit taste. Very similar to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale which isn't a bad thing at all. This one tastes a bit sweeter with some more orange characteristic to it and the malt bill is more present. A really nice bitterness level throughout and a pretty dry finish considering how relatively sweet it is.

M - Medium bodied with a good level of carbonation and no alcohol burn.

O - A really good pale ale. If this was around my area of living it would be a staple alongside SNPA. Overall it's nothing PHENOMENAL or revolutionary, but it's a damn good drinking beer.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Clear orange, lighly tan head, nice lacing anda few floaties. Fresh, and very fresh, fruity/hoppy aroma. Big hop flavors roll over some nice malts with a big hop bitter finish. The hops linger nicely. Very creamy mouth feel. Very drinkable and quenching. THis is a great session brew, and a welcome addition to my cellar!

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

a- a ton of lacing. orangish white head 1 finger. body is orangish brown, not what I have come to know from an IPA

S- tons of hops in the smell. the obvious fruits/citrus and piny notes. just very potent. smells really good.

t-hoppy, but boozie, tastes like alot of IPAs that I have had but stronger hops taste.

m- lots of carbonation when I hold on my tounge almost starts to burn.

d- Really good. I am starting to think that IPAs are all really drinkable but the flavor on this one keeps it apart from the rest. I really enjoy this beer

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks Chase2634 (Brent) for this want!

A - Ruby red, nice frothy head that laces the glass well

S - Strong citrus, pine, a little bready

T - More citrus, pine, bitter, but has a nice balanced malt backbone.

M - Sticky and delicious. Coats the mouth nicely and goes down easy on a hot summer day.

O - Great Pale Ale. Could not find a freshness date on the bottle and I suspect it's just a little past it's prime, but still a great example of an APA. Would like more on a hot summer day.

This is the beer that got it all started for me. I love this beer. From the grapefruit, hoppy taste, to the citrus smell. This beer is my kryptonite. I can't go into the brew pub, or local shop and not walk out with a six pack of this. Seek it out. This beer is a gem.

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Unfortunately for Alpha King I drank this right after I had my first Bell's Two Hearted. It's very difficult to go from a tremendous IPA like that to a Pale Ale. Since I love the hops, I was disappointed in the taste of Alpha King. In retrospect, It was probably much better than I realized and actually stood up well for being an APA. As far as pale ales go, this should be a solid offering. But why drink Pale Ales when you can drink IPA's?

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%

I had this on draft at the Beer Cellar in Indy. This is a serious beer. It has a significant hoppiness that made me think it was an IPA rather than an APA. It has a citrus flavor with spiciness and a dash of sweetness. It smacks you in the mouth before it is done with you. I will be visiting Three Floyds the next time I am in Chi-town. A very very good brew.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a beautiful clear amber with a small head.
Smell is over he top fruity hops, like tangelos from my christmas stocking.
Taste is great light malt base followed quickly by citrus, honeysuckle, pine bark and lingering bitterness hiding some sweet flowers.
Good mouthfeel. If it was a little less watery and slick it would be perfection. I'm stretching here cause, its close.
This beer is definitely sessionable. I think my fiance will drink all of mine though, so someone send me more! Daddy like!

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

The color is a medium amber, a little bit darker than your average APA. Had a 1 finger head that disappeared quickly, lacing was minimal. There is a walloping hop nose of grapefruit, pine, and flowery esters. My friend calls this "Kind bud beer". The taste is mostly hops, spicy, citrus, yet balanced Medium to light body with a little carbonation. Very drinkable, possibly sessionable, but I usually like to switch up my beer anyway.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

On draft at Kuma's Corner, poured into pint glass.

A: Copper and Orange with a nice off white head and a lace that sticks fairly well to the glass.

S: mmm big hops! Pine/ Grapefruit/ Biscuit/ Malt/ Yeast/ Bitter orange/

T: Grape fruit and pine upfront with a nice yeasty mid palate followed by a nice long hoppy bitterness. Nice long finish.

MF: This beer has some good carbonation to it and feels medium bodied on the palate.

D: This beer is so fun to drink would have no problem drinking several of these.

Overall:
This was one of the first craft beers I fell in love with and sometimes I forget about this beer, however, it never disappoints. Well done!

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

From notes. Numerous samples: tap and cask at FFF, bottle, growler.

A - Clear amber, sticky head lots of lacing.

S - light on the malty, complex hop aroma (mostly citrus, some pine).

T - bold hops, slight hint of sweet from the malt. Complex flavor from the hops with a perfect amount of contribution from the malt.

M - medium bodied, good carbonation, clean and crisp.

O - excellent. Perfect APA.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Wino's in Bowling Green, KY. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful golden orange color with 2 fingers of a white head.

Smell: Smells of sweet hops, malt, pine, and grapefruit.

Taste - Taste mirrors the nose. Everything is so balanced.

Mouthfeel: Perfect for the style.

Overall: The best pale ale I've ever had. So good.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

12 oz bottle poured dark copper with a small off white head that fell pretty quickly. Dark for a pale ale. The smell is all hops...grapefruit and pine, but more citrus. A small amount of malt comes through, but the smell is definitely about the hops. The first sip yeilds a very balanced hop punch and nice malt. The hops are predominate in this brew and are very citrusy. This is a bit over the top to be classified as a pale ale, this is definitely a very nice American IPA. As the grapefruit flavor dies down, a nice doughy malt flavor comes through and then ends with a nice bitter. Mouthfeel of this beer is medium and nicely carbonated. I will have to say this is another great beer by 3 Floyds and I would drink it very regularly if it was available locally. This beer tastes like the Dreadnaughts little brother. Excellent beer but I think it is mis-catagorized as an APA.

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

Thanks to TheodorHerzl for helping me get my hands on this.

Poured into a snifter a very nice, deep amber color. A thin head was present upon pouring but dissipated very quickly. Nice lacing is present though that is definitely clinging to the sides of my glass.

Smell, I love the smell of Pale Ales and this one doesn't disappoint Definitely bitter with some floral notes and a little citrus. Also noticed a little caramel after it warmed up for a few minutes. Some toasted notes are also present.

The first taste that hit my tongue was definitely very bitter, but refreshing. The bitterness seems to stay throughout each sip actually, with hints of that caramel and some citrus. Some taste of alcohol is also present.

Mouthfeel is good, medium bodied. Leaves my mouth feeling a little dry afterwards.

Drinkability is fantastic, especially after this one warms up a bit. At first it was a little overpowering compared to what I was expecting. 5 minutes after the first sip though, things mellowed out and are very smooth going down.

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.