Alpha King | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Reviews: 1,832 | Ratings: 6,423
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

A-Pours a nice almost clear amber color with a 1+ finger head and nice lacing about the glass.
S-Piney hops, malt and citrus fruits principally grapefruit and lemon with hints of honey.
T-Malty richness but not heavy with a nice blend of bitterness of the hops. The afternotes have some mild citrus flavor but definitely a hops finish.
M-Creamy up front with some bite at the end and mild to moderate carbonation.
D-This is a really nice APA. Definitely a good session beer. I will be looking forward to the rest of this 6'r I picked up after DLD.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Bottle poured into Founders tulip.

AK pours pretty dark for the style, with 3/4 inch of cream colored head. Smell is quite well balanced, getting both earthy hops & sweet malts as well. Smells great. The taste starts with more of the malty sweetness: plum/raisin/dark fruit. It finishes with a bitter kick that lingers on the palate.

This brew defines the style for me. Incredibly well balanced, and looks stunning in a tulip glass. There are several outstanding APAs that really taste like IPAs, or at least "light" IPAS. AK does not fall into that category, IMO. Incredible balancing act here.

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

This is my go-to beer. I can't express how much I love this one. Whether you want to call this an APA or an IPA it suits either label. Just pure hoppy brilliance.

The beer pours a beautiful deep orange with a nice white head.

The nose is almost all hops. Lots of pine with some subtle grapefruit. As a hop-head, the smell just makes me want to dive right in, and I usually do just that.

The taste does not disappoint the nose. Hops is what you smell, and that is exactly what you taste. Tons of pine and citrus bitterness. Some malt shows up on the back end, but the palate is pretty hop fried by that point. lol.

This is the flag ship beer of my favorite brewery. I love this beer. Top 10 favorite of mine definitly. Thanks, FFF.

3.75/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I am surprised by this, I usually love everything by 3 Floyds, especially their Pale ales, unfortunately this one isn't as good

I could drink this, but I thought it was far too bitter for my liking, it was less than 2 weeks old so it wasn't a freshness issue.

Strange, but still a solid beer.

3.44/5  rDev -19.2%

Really cool bottle label, foil backed picture with "It's not normal" visible in the right light. Great packaging.

Poured into a standard pint glass, brownish red, a bit turbid with a foamy head. Smell is of citrus and bitter bitter hops.

Taste, at first I taste the yummy citrus hops. Then it gets really bitter with the taste of a dark bitter malt backbone. A bit of an earthy planty flavor in there too. Maybe with a sweeter malt flavor I would, but I'm not especially enjoying this. The lingering bitterness is just not doing it for me. A Dale's Pale ale is a bit more accessible to my taste. As I go though, it's going down easier, but still not ideal.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Had this from draft at the Trion in New Haven.
It's suprisingly dark for a "pale ale" and this coupled with the intense hoppy aromas let's you know you are dealing with a serious brew. Taste is burly with sharp flavors up front and smooth on the finish. For some reason this reminds me of Stone's Ruination, and yes, I know the styles are different. Maybe it's just the up front machismo that both of those beers deliver. Whatever the case, this is a fantastic beer. Of the 3F's that are available all the time, I put this right behind Gumballhead. On tap, this actually gets the slight edge, the Gumballhead seems to shine a little brighter out of the bottle. Either way, that is a potent one-two punch from the crew up in Munster, one that can stand up to any brewer in the nation.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

APPEARANCE

This is a typical APA, albiet it's a bit hazier than other I have seen. It's an yellowish-orange color, and had a nice two-finger khaki head that stuck around for awhile, and left a great amount of lacing. A very gorgeous beer.

SMELL

Big amount of hops. Tons of grapefruit and orange, as well as some pinnapple. This is the american citrusy hop, and it's plain old delicious. Believe it or not, there's a smidge of alcohol but only the slightest bit. This isn't as hoppy as an IPA, but it has a lot of hop character.

TASTE

Just like the nose, this has tons of American hop flavor. It's overly bitter, but there is a nice slight crisp bitterness in here. Most of the flavor is hop flavor - orange, citrus, grapefruit, and sweet mango. This is a typical FFF overly hopped beer, and I dig it.

MOUTHFEEL

If this was any more drinkable, I'd drink this instead of water. It goes down easily, and is dry and crisp. It's got a bit of body In the middle.

OVERALL

Incredible APA! This has the typical FFF hop flavor that only seems present in their beers. They must do some crazy stuff with hops to make it taste like that, but good lord I crave it. This is one of the beers that makes American beers great. Get this, and get a lot of it.

Cheers.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just wow. Poured into a 12 oz tulip, forms a luscious pillowy off-white head. The beer is a translucent amber with very active carbonation. Great pillowy lacing.

The smell is of ruby red grapefruit, bitter orange rind, and pine needles... A really potent and exciting bouquet.

Very orangey and bitter hop, hoppy as hell, and incredibly balanced. The body is there, but at the perfect level- not too big, not too sweet, but with no breaks on flavor. nice dry sticky leave that makes you smack your tongue and appreciate the flavor as it rolls out for minutes after a sip.

The mouthfeel is a bit thick for my liking but really works well with the beer. I can't knock it.

4.43/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance:
Hazy, Deep Caramel, Amber color, excellent lacing, small-slightly off white head
Nose:
Not overpowering, subtle, piney hops, slight malt, crisp and clean
Palate:
Crisp and refreshing hops notes, light malt, citrus, floral with some fresh fruit notes weaving in and out
Overall:
One of my favorites from 3 Floyds, it often gets overshadowed by Gumball head, but just like I said with Zombie Dust, this is the better pint.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a glorious bronzed amber color, seeming to glow in my glass. The half-inch thick froth of head sticks to the glass...beckoning.
Smells of caramel, and citrus hops- melons and orange...sweet malt overtones are also bombarding my senses.
Damn! Hops cascade through my tastebuds, malt brings it into balance...the bitter tang of hops is quickly flattened into a smooth, delicious beer. I can taste orange, imbibing the floral goodness of the hops.

This is one damn good beer. Smooth, well-balanced and highly drinkable. This wasn't my first and surely won't be my last. I've got a case I just picked up at the brewery and I'll be stretching that out until the next visit. Nice work, 3F!

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

after reading washburnkid's review, i felt that i needed to revisit an old favorite...

12 oz. bottle (no freshness) into THE sn pint glass...

A-two fingers of tan bubbles with decent lacing. deep auburn body with glistening ruby hues abounding...

S-loads of spicy hops with a nice citrus punch...some spices are also prominent (cinammon, nutmeg,), and a minute dilution of caramel.

T-spices come through immediately making it nice and peppery with a bitter finish. lots of grapefruit and mild hops...

M-creamy with a good kick of carbonation...good on the mouth

D-who couldn't drink boatloads of this nectar? this is without a doubt, one of the top 100 session beers, and an even better get-together beer

the taste always seems to let me down, but it's still a great beer. sometimes i need a reminder of why it's great living in Indiana!

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Drank from an AleSmith pint glass. Poured a dark amberish color with a thick and rocky tan head. Looked fairly translucent with some suspended particles. Great smells of citrus and grapefruit. Light pineyness as well. Smells refreshing and very clean. Bready malt smell thrown in too. Bittering hop up front along with a caramel and bready taste. This is an excellent drinker. Mouthfeel on lighter side and bubbly. Head retained until the end of the glass. Finished with just enough bitterness. Drinkability is great with this one and I only wish I could find it local for $9 a sixer like some people.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a dark amber with a 1 inch foam head that stuck around a left lacing down the glass.

Does not have a strong smell, but I think I am getting hints of a citrus smell.

Taste has a nice smooth malt at the start with a little hop bite to finish. This beer is very well balanced. Would probably be nice up higher ABV session beer.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a slightly hazy red/copper. Beautiful off white, frothy head that leaves ridiculously good lacing and has great lasting power.

S: BIG hop aroma, especially for a "pale ale." Most IPAs can't hold a candle to how delicious this one smells. I get a ton of citrus, namely grapefruit, with a nice little caramel malt lingering in the background.

T: Hops are all over this one. Lots of sweet grapefruit. I get actually get a decent amount of piney spice and bitterness just after swallowing. The malt backbone is very decent and makes this beer feel rich and nourishing. It's got that west coast dry finish.

M: Medium and with real soft carbonation, just like it should be. This one goes down real smooth.

This was one of my first loves getting into craft beer, and to be honest, it still is among one of my favorites. I've also had it on tap and it was fantastic!

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

This beer is translucent golden amber with a healthy white head. The smell is of citrus and grassy hops, with a sweet hint of candy. Taste is pine, grapefruit, and sweetness. mouthfell is dryness from hops. Overall this beer tastes like a combination between avery ipa and pliney the elder. YUM! thanks to gcurlow!

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a beautiful amber/orange color with a small cream colored head...lots of lacing after a few minutes. This smells hoppy and citrus-y. Taste is sweet and smoothat first but is followed by a hoppy bite. This tastes good and not overly hoppy for the style. I wouldn't want too many at once though. This is certainly something to try.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Branchline tumbler. Bottle dated 1/16/14. Right at two months.

Gold brown put with thick white head. Liners and left a lot of lacing. Dark for a pale.

Pine and bread in the aroma. Like a bakery in a forest.

Smooth and balanced. The second best balance I've ever had with a hoppy beer (after Pliny). Herbal, grassy up front with a pine after-taste.

Smashing pale ale. I think the best I've tried. Thanks to BeerJesus for this throw in!

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a nice orange with a slowly forming white head.

Smell is citrusy, very hoppy but balanced with a bready malt presence.

Flavor is great. Bitter, piney hops juxtaposed with an almost dried-apricot like sweetness, finishing on the dry side with light lingering hops. Alot of pale ales are very one-sided, and while Alpha King doesn't go light on the hops by any measure, it manages to balance the boldness beautifully.

Seriously, try one.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Had on tap at Floyds / Growler and bottle. WOW! Enough cannot be said about this gem. Definitely one of the best pale ales Ive ever tasted. So balanced and wonderful. Aroma contains some fruit hints and hop character. Appearance beautiful golden brown/red. Taste amazingly balanced, the hops and malt are mated in the smoothest fashion. On the palate it is almost medium bodied with sweetness and hop covering your tongue. Overall I must say Three Floyds is an amazing craft brewer who has hit the mark with this and all their amazing beers. Definitely one of the best!

4.93/5  rDev +15.7%

A- thick fluffy head (3 fingers in speigel IPA glass). Great lacing. Copper, almost ruby-red and clear, no haze.

S - classic 3 Floyd's clean, amazingly floral and citric, resinous hop aromas, with slight Carmel malt presence

F- Forward, rich Carmel and sweet bread are balanced out by big hop flavor (Centennial perhaps?).

M - perfect mouth feel for an APA. Smooth and drinkable, not too thick or syrupy

O - Overall, this is a great beer. One of my favorites. big Flavors on both sides of the spectrum, but they manage to find a perfect balance.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into a glass with a copper head that has orange highlights. The white head was about a finger thick - nice lacing on the glass. There's a strong orange grapefruit aroma with a roast malt and caramels. There's definitely a hops presence, but this is very balanced and clean with a crisp finish.

This is a great session beer. I'd like to always have a 6-pack handy in my fridge.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

12 oz bottle poured into tumbler.

A: Pours a deep golden brown, almost a true copper - just a bit darker. 1" off-white head, nice full lacing.

S: Whoa, that's a lot of hop nose for an APA! Smells delcious, bit of grapefruit hues, some breadiness from the malt, but hops dominate here. A nice undertone of piney, grassy hops as well.

T: This is an ipa, period. And a damn fine one at that. Fairly well balanced, hops do run wild all over this one, big citrus initially, finishes with a nice pine bitterness. Malt backbone is sturdy and balances out the brew well, but it is more earthy and biscuity than sweet.

M: Nice medium body, the malt base provides a very smooth and enjoyable experience. No carbonation zap, finishes bitter and crisp.

D: If available at home, I could see this as a regular session beer.

My first impression of FFFs, and a good one. Maybe a little misclassified, but I'm never disappointed by a good hoppy beer.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

received as an extra from TheTomG, thanks!

A - beautiful caramel brown
S - soft citrus notes with an even softer hint of pine
T - really nicely balanced malt/hop flavor that hits the spot. Huge fan of beers that have that kind of balance.
M - hop-linger and then salivation
D - if I had 6 of these, they would be gone tonight.

Almost everything I encouter that comes with hype ends up dissapointing me or pissing me off to the point that I stay away. Three Floyds and this beer in particular seemed overhyped but I gotta say, "damn good beer!'

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from chilled 12oz bottle into tulip glass.

A: A rich hazy amber-orange (beautiful color!) with a small beige head that sticks around, leaving nice lacing.

S: A wallop of citrus hops - it's like sticking your face in a grapefruit-pine-forest. Sweet caramel malts shine through on the end.

T: The is the most IPA-ish APA I've ever had, which is likely why it scores so consistently high with reviewers (though that's certainly not to say it isn't delicious enough to earn such ratings.) Strong citrus & pine hop presence with the perfect amount of bitterness supported by a hefty caramel malt backbone that keeps the finish perfectly bittersweet. Wonderful.

M: Medium-light body with great carbonation. Slightly oily. Delicious and refreshing.

D: This is one hell of a beer. 6.5% ABV is a tad high to be truly sessionable. However, it wouldn't be difficult in the least for me to polish off a sixer of this on my own.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Recieved from Josh (Alleykatking). Thanks buddy. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my Unibroue Tulip.

A - Copper red in color as I pour with a very slight tinge of haziness in the glass. Still can see through it but its not crystal clear. Forms a nice 3 finger head as I pour and I have to stop pouring the last ounce or so because the head is coming out of the glass. The head is a tan / light off white color and looks pretty sticky but only some stays as the rest fades.

S - Smells of citrusy hops, pineapple, grapefruit and some orange. This beer has a nice malty smell to it as well which I like to smell in it. I smell some cinnamon or some spice in it as well. Intriguing.

T - Really smooth citrusy hops come through and stay there as the malt comes through after and add a nice smoothness to the beer. A very nice combination of flavors and complexities in this one, I really like the taste of this one. The flavor is so much bigger than the smell.

M - Good carbonation and a very crisp mouthfeel make this one nice and refreshing to go along with the nice flavors.

D - A very drinable beer, not something I'm reaching for first in the fridge but definitely a old standby that I could always rely on. Bummed out that FFF doesn't distribute to Ohio. That needs to happen again.

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.