Alpha King | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King
4.25/5
Outstanding
Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

#812

Ratings: 6,618 |  Reviews: 1,870
4.31/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.72/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip:

Appearance: amber-copper color, totally translucent, with a solid off-white head. Head doesn't last long, and not much in the way of retention.

Aroma: don't get a ton of any one thing here. Not overly juicy, citrusy, bitter, or earthy. Smells slightly sweet, with maybe a touch of tropical fruit, but really not much.

Taste: again, a little bit of sweet caramelly flavor here, along with a medium dose of tropics. The hops come through better in the taste than in the smell, but again, I want more. It does have a nice balance of malt and citrusy hops, but it finishes more malty than hops to my palate.

Feel: Medium-bodied, with a lingering bitterness on the finish.

Overall: It's a good APA, but not a great one.

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, nice looking metallic label. I don't see a date or an ABV.

Appearance: Orange in color, a bit of haze. Thin head, but its got good retention and lacing.

Smell: Lots of hops - floral and piney. Just a bit of sweet malt aroma there too.

Taste: Very nice hop flavors, bitter - but not overly so. Highly drinkable, medium bodied.

Overall impression: Great beer - could definitely drink quite a few of these. Nice hop flavors, close to balanced but tilted enough towards hoppy to satisfy any hop head.

4.91/5  rDev +15.5%

Ok, Father's Day is over and the boys are in bed. Now it's time to treat my self. I want something special, flavorful, but not over the top as I want to go to bed soon.
As I look into my fridge I see an Alpha King...perfect!
Appearance looks much more like an IPA than an APA. Maybe it's a double APA. Just Kidding. Oh man, I could just sit here and sniff this for hours. A cornacopia(sp) of aromas. Orange, bannana, grapefruit, mango, and pineapple come to mind. Flavor is the perfect hoppy beer. Tons of hop flavor with out the hop bite. Sure I've had hoppier beers, beers that make your mouth pucker. And I've loved them, but I've never had anything quite like this. Maybe it's super balanced, maybe the amount or type of malt they used. I don't know enough about brewing to distinguish the differences, but I do know this is a damn fine beer, and my taste buds are going crazy and jumping for joy. Feels great in the mouth. Chewy for a light to medium bodied beer. Drinkability? Well I'm going to have to switch it from my gots list to my wants as that was the only one I had. But when I get another one it will go fast.
The perfect beer to cap off a fine father's day.

4.24/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.19/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.02/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours amber orange with a small light tan head that fades fairly quickly. A film of lace when agitated, fades to a lingering washed pattern. A dominant citrus hop aroma with an underlying earthiness. Creamy while hopped, with a nice amount of carbonation that adds to a very satisfying complexity. Tastes somewhere between an IPA and a Pale Ale. Enjoyed it. Thanks JH!

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%

Big thanks to ahatcher78 for this extra. Off my wants list and everyone.

12oz. brown bottle poured into an imperial pint. I don't see any dating.

A: Pours an IPAish golden oranger. A bit hazy but more of a glow. More than 2 fingers of rocky white head form strong and holds on for quite a bit. Solitary little chunks of lacing form a neat pattern.

S: Very citrus-y, orange, grapefruit, without harsh resins... just a very clean hop freshness. Some sweet malts in the back.

T/M: Nice controlled hop bitterness with plenty of citrus. A surprising pepper spice bite that's nicely controlled as well. Some bread-y malts that are slightly sweet come in the even things out. Body is medium light and lively carbonation maintains this.

D: A simple brew that just does everything right. Probably the best of its style that I've had. Too bad this isn't available in my area. Would make a great session brew and I'd love to bring this to gatherings to try and convert some people.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

3.09/5  rDev -27.3%

Thanks to BitterPachyderm for this 12 oz bottle, poured into an oversized snifter.

An aggressive pour directly into the middle of my snifter coaxes 1/4 inch of head that doesn't stick around for long. Surprisingly dark body- kind of a hazy deep copper/amber/orange combo. Just a hint of lacing. Disappointed in the lack of head and lace.

Smells of (stale?) refrigerated hop pellets, with lots of general bready sweetness. Some caramel and citrus, but mainly sweetness. A bit weird for an APA.

Tastes pretty good, although not as hoppy as I was hoping for. As in the nose, lots of general bready and malty sweetness. Some caramel, some citrus and hints of (faded?) piny bitterness.

Moderate-low carbonation. Could definitely use some more zip to help scrub some of the sweetness away. Medium body.

Overall impression: It's OK, but disappointing as I was expecting a hophead's delight and instead got a very sweet (and flattish) brew. Older bottle, maybe? If I get a chance to try it again and have a different experience, I'll adjust my review/ratings accordingly.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a stemmed tulip glass and shared with a buddy.

Pours a deep copper color with a big, foamy white head that settled slowly to a creamy collar and leaving some nice lacing. The nose is a nice balance of malt and hops; bread biscuits and caramel along with some floral, spicy hops. The taste follows suit with again, a really nice balance. The malt presents as nice and toasty, some bread and sweet caramel. The hops were difficult for me to tweeze out, and presented more as those great West coast spicy and floral bouquet. It has a easy drinking body, yet is still round and creamy with enough carb to lighten but not too much. Overall, I was impressed with the balance FFF achieves with this brew and the depth of flavor considering its low-ish ABV.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a glowing amber-copper color, nice thick head,decent lacing. Strong grapefruity cotten candy, hoppy aroma. Medium body, soft creamy palate, Strong citrus hoppy with some caremel flavor, good session brew, easy to down a few.

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.25 out of 5 with 6,618 ratings