Alpha King | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

Ratings: 6,479 |  Reviews: 1,843

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

I wasn't planning to review this, but after opening the bottle, and getting an amazing whiff of hops, I think I have to.

Thanks to zrab11 for this one. My first time having it.

What an awesome pale ale. It pours a beautiful deep copper color, with a nice thick white head. The nose is very nice, seems to have a floral centennial hops thing going on which I love. The tatse is a very smooth, generously hopped pale ale.

Overall, I am just really pleasantly surprised by this. I've been wanting to try FFF beers, and some very nice BAs have made that possible for me. This is definitely my new favorite pale ale.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Was feeling a hop craving so I grabbed a sixer tonight and realized I haven't reviewed this one yet even though I've had it hundreds of times.

Pours a clear caramel with a finger of white creamy head.

A little bit of bready malt backbone supporting the main feature, hops. Crisp citrus notes with some grapefruit and a dash of pine.

Starts off a little citrusy although not quite as much as the nose. A little bit of breadiness and malt backbone again and it finishes bitter earthy and dry.

Good creamy mouthfeel and impressive in its heft for something only 6%. Good carbonation levels as well.

I am re-acquainted with how much I love this beer every time I have it. One of my favorite easier to get offerings.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Gorgeous ruby color, clear, and a firm cap of foam. Leaves thick lacing. Head formation is maintaining throughout.

Smell is big for style...could be mistaken for an IPA. Apricot-like fruit notes as well as some doughy malt and maybe a bit of piney hop.

Taste isn't as big as aroma but certainly on par for style. Carbonation yields a full-ish feel but it finishes light enough for an APA. Finish has a nice bitterness that complements those fruity hops in the beginning. Seems like a lot of malt for pale ale, but it's not heavy, and I'm sure they're needed for all those IBUs. Seems right in between a pale and an IPA. The more I drink, the more it seems like an IPA though!

It really is a solid pale ale, and at 6% it is on the heftier end, but I'm not complaining. I'm really enjoying this and happy I have 5 more! Would love to try more from Los Tres Floyds.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Copper body, quite dark, somewhat cloudier then expected. Off white head sticks around well, good lacing.

S - Yeasty malt hits immediately, then huge citrus aroma comes in, lots of clementine. Some grassy hops in there too, very strong apparent smell to this one.

T - Very hoppy beer, but somehow finds a way to still feel like a balanced PA to me, versus just another hopped up PA. Lemon zest, clementines up front..sweeter oranges as well. Grassy overtones as well. The hops are nice, but the butter cookie malts are what sets this one apart. Balances perfectly, some ginger or cinnamon in there too. Freaky good tasting PA.

M - Very well done for the style, slick, somewhat chewy, but still light on the tongue.

O - Excellent. Most complex PA I've tried that doesn't simply become a hopped up PA that is really an IPA. Malt character sets it apart, hop profile is delicious.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

A- Rich amber and copper pour, an inch of off-white head and only a bit of lacing

S- far more sweet and spicy malt than I had expected, perhaps this bottle is a bit older? lots of toffee and caramel with ample supporting hop character. that being said, I would've liked more citrus as advertised.

T- very refreshing hop bitterness, nice complement to the sweet malt backbone, slightly floral and earthy, a touch of orange citrus

M- full bodied and well carbonated

O- a very solid APA with fantastic flavors and superb balance. citric and malty at the same time. would have liked a lighter, less malt forward profile, though would certainly seek this beer out again. drinks big for the style.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance : deep amber in color with a nice two finger head. Sticky lacing really clings on the glass.

Smell : the aroma is super hoppy. Lots of fresh aromatic pine fresh and evergreen notes.

Taste : very smooth and enjoyable bitterness. Lovely malt backbone with a tasty biscuit finish

Mouthfeel : medium bodied ipa with very refreshing mouthfeel. Has a very adequate carbonation .

Overall : I consider this to be my go to FFF brew. This There'll never let you down. It's big and bold and full of flavor.

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.