Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...

Alpha King | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King
4.25/5
Outstanding
Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

#745

Ratings: 6,523 |  Reviews: 1,855

4.17/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Pours on the dark side of amber. Seemed high carbonated... I had to pour and let it settle down then pour again. But it has a beautiful off-white/tan head to it.

S - I smell a little hops, malt and fruit. Not a bad combo and pleasant.

T - delicious hoppiness but not an insane amount. Had a nice malt backbone with stoned fruit taste.

M - Very crisp and not heavy at all. Once it calmed down it had the right amount of carbonation.

O - It would be a staple in my rotation if I could get it more often. A solid american pale ale here.

4.17/5  rDev -1.9%

Pretty good looking, brown to amber and clear with a one finger head and sparse lace.

Hoppy smell with plenty of caramel malts and fruitiness.

Taste is really hoppy and very delicious. Great malt background and light fruits, plus plenty of pine and a little citrus.

Mouthfeel is great, easy to drink yet crisp and hoppy with a nice bite.

Great beer, I'd love to drink it all the time if I could!

3.83/5  rDev -9.9%

A- A nice amber color with one finger white head. Very nice lacing.

S- A lot of malt stands out in the aroma. Some hops behind.

T- Always a good drinker. Smooth almost rye flavor leading up to the hop hit. Piney and delicious. Nicely balanced.

M- Crisp. Very nice. Doesn't leave any tongue burn but nice for an APA especially one that's so readily available in Chicago.

O- It's legit. It's a go to when the other's aren't there but it's also something that if pressed I would be seeking out.

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

On tap from Clevelands own Bier Markt- served in a pint glass. Had a one finger head and great retention and lacing. Poured a dark copper color with its foam being a sort of bone-white. Smell makes it immediately apparent that this is a fiendishly hoppy beer- I smell the citrusy notes that I've come to associate with cascade hops. That taste measures up to the smell- hops from beginning to end and rounded out with a nice medium light body. The mouthfeel is wonderful as well- a little oily from the hops and medium carbonation make it very drinkable. I would get this all the time if it was available to me.

3.82/5  rDev -10.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a straight pint glass. January 8th, 2012.

A: The beer pours a deep amber color with a small head of white foam and some light lacing.

S: There is a hint of pine and citrus in the nose but there is more sweet malt than I figured would be there. This bottle was purchased in early December by my wife's cousin in South Bend IN, so I don't think it's very old.

T: There is a nice initial hop bitterness that is balanced well with the caramel malt and some earthy notes. Well-balanced flavor for a pale.

M: Pretty full bodied for a pale ale with nice carbonation. Alcohol not present.

O: This is my first FFF beer. It's a solid pale ale with a nice balance, but with all the hype I was expecting a little more. Not as hoppy as I thought it was going to be.

3.61/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle (2011)

Acquired via online
Thanks, www.archerliquors.com!

Dark caramel auburn with a tight, light khaki colored head that eventually leaves splotches and lines of lacing down the glass. This beer is gorgeous.

The aroma is particularly sweet, dominated by honey, sweet and sticky toffee and caramel, and some pine and citrus hop components. Not nearly as pungent, bright, or clean as I hoped and have found in other hoppy Three Floyds offerings. I expected great, I was given slightly better than average.

The flavor is similar to the aroma, with bready, malty, and sweet components leading the way. The hops present in the way of a relatively high bitterness, especially for a pale ale. Great drinkability, however.

Medium to full bodied with ample carbonation.

Highly drinkable, somewhat bitter, bready, and sweet pale ale.

12oz bottle received as an extra. Had many times bror but finally getting around to reviewing.

A - Pours a medium amber/copper Clear. Medium white head. Good lacing.
S - Harmonious balance of hops and malt. Not enough hops to be an IPA, but great for an APA.
T - Much more malts than I remember from the past. Not sure if the recipie has changed or my palate has, but much more malty than I remember. Where did the hoppy goodness go?
M - Medium body/carbonation.
O - Either the recipie has changed, or I have, but Alpha King is nowhere near as hoppy and delicious as I remember. Regardless, it's still a GOOD APA, but pales in comparison to the Zombie King I just had. Will re-visit again to confirm freshness.

4.65/5  rDev +9.4%

A: Poured mahogany with less than a finger of head that disappeared almost immediately.

S: Pineapple, apple cider, pronounced grain and malt.

T: Wow. Lots of pineapple and tropical fruit, but the malt holds it back from being overly sweet. The middle comes and goes with a long bite of bitterness and aspirin. When you expect the end to bite, it doesnt. Its smooth and smacks of rye bread and oily hops.

M: Just the perfect type of medium with a little fizz.

O: Best pale ale of my life. So easy to drink and every sip was enjoyable. This is a legend.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Major props to BA Chaney for bringing me a bottle from the brewery- Thanks Brandon!

Alpha King pours a medium copper color with a half finger coffee colored head. Good lacing on the side of my snifter glass. Fairly clear in appearance. The nose is very nice- hops, some malt, citrus fruit, a little grass. Very well blended, and pleasant smelling for the style. The flavor is almost like an IPA- much more flavor and hops than I was expecting. Big hop bite, with grapefruit, orange, pine, and a decent malt backbone holding everything together. Really big taste for the style. Fairly smooth, malty aftertaste.. but the hops are definitely still there. Feel is medium, with a nice bite, good carbonation and a fairly dry finish. Overall, I can see why this is the #3 beer for it's style. Really well done- another winner from FFF. Cheers.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

I wasn't planning to review this, but after opening the bottle, and getting an amazing whiff of hops, I think I have to.

Thanks to zrab11 for this one. My first time having it.

What an awesome pale ale. It pours a beautiful deep copper color, with a nice thick white head. The nose is very nice, seems to have a floral centennial hops thing going on which I love. The tatse is a very smooth, generously hopped pale ale.

Overall, I am just really pleasantly surprised by this. I've been wanting to try FFF beers, and some very nice BAs have made that possible for me. This is definitely my new favorite pale ale.

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Was feeling a hop craving so I grabbed a sixer tonight and realized I haven't reviewed this one yet even though I've had it hundreds of times.

Pours a clear caramel with a finger of white creamy head.

A little bit of bready malt backbone supporting the main feature, hops. Crisp citrus notes with some grapefruit and a dash of pine.

Starts off a little citrusy although not quite as much as the nose. A little bit of breadiness and malt backbone again and it finishes bitter earthy and dry.

Good creamy mouthfeel and impressive in its heft for something only 6%. Good carbonation levels as well.

I am re-acquainted with how much I love this beer every time I have it. One of my favorite easier to get offerings.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Gorgeous ruby color, clear, and a firm cap of foam. Leaves thick lacing. Head formation is maintaining throughout.

Smell is big for style...could be mistaken for an IPA. Apricot-like fruit notes as well as some doughy malt and maybe a bit of piney hop.

Taste isn't as big as aroma but certainly on par for style. Carbonation yields a full-ish feel but it finishes light enough for an APA. Finish has a nice bitterness that complements those fruity hops in the beginning. Seems like a lot of malt for pale ale, but it's not heavy, and I'm sure they're needed for all those IBUs. Seems right in between a pale and an IPA. The more I drink, the more it seems like an IPA though!

It really is a solid pale ale, and at 6% it is on the heftier end, but I'm not complaining. I'm really enjoying this and happy I have 5 more! Would love to try more from Los Tres Floyds.

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 4.25 out of 5 with 6,523 ratings