Alpha King | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

Alpha KingAlpha King
94%
Liked This Beer
4.25 w/ 6,501 ratings
Alpha KingAlpha King

3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Indiana, United States
3floyds.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-23-2000

#742
Liked:
4.25/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 6,501 |  Reviews: 1,847
3.77/5  rDev -11.3%

Growler shared by my non-BA friend Brian... He may as well be a BA, as he makes an appearance at every tasting I host!
Anyway...

Dark copper body. Small light tan head. Kinda weak retention an lacing this time around... But I'll chalk that up to the glassware!

Smells a little chalky, with some caramel malts. A good dose of hops provide some nice grapefruit notes.
The flavor has a good bitterness at the backend.

Body is medium and feels a tad undercarbed.

Overall-- still a good beer, but this is nowhere near as good as my past experiences with this one.

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a slightly hazy red/copper. Beautiful off white, frothy head that leaves ridiculously good lacing and has great lasting power.

S: BIG hop aroma, especially for a "pale ale." Most IPAs can't hold a candle to how delicious this one smells. I get a ton of citrus, namely grapefruit, with a nice little caramel malt lingering in the background.

T: Hops are all over this one. Lots of sweet grapefruit. I get actually get a decent amount of piney spice and bitterness just after swallowing. The malt backbone is very decent and makes this beer feel rich and nourishing. It's got that west coast dry finish.

M: Medium and with real soft carbonation, just like it should be. This one goes down real smooth.

This was one of my first loves getting into craft beer, and to be honest, it still is among one of my favorites. I've also had it on tap and it was fantastic!

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

I love Alpha King. It was one of the first craft beers I really got into when living in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago, around 2003. There was a liquor store down the street that had 3-4 craft beers and this was one of them. (Another was a spoiled sixer of Abita Turbodog I bought once. It was AWFUL. Pure soy sauce!). I loved Alpha King from the start, and still do. I drank it when I was at the brewery way back then, before the brewpub existed and it was just a well-lit factory atmosphere. Some old-timers were drinking their Light Lager offering and eating some potato chips they had brought. It ruled. Citrus, caramel malt, a bit sticky, excellent. I had it on tap at MacNiven's during lunch (a liquid lunch in my case).. to celebrate the end of my first semester at grad school. I also had Bell's Sparkling Ale, which I was less impressed by but still enjoyed. Indianapolis is a good beer city. We have lots of good options.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Reviewed from notes. Purchased online from a store that guaranteed this was fresh. 12 oz bottle poured into a Leinenkugel's pint glass...

A - Pours a clear, dark-orange, amber color. A 2 finger head forms, eggshell white in color. Retention is quite good here.

S - Really bright, slightly juicy hop aromas come out front. Citrus, grapefruit, orange and some lemon zest mix with fresh pine. Toasted malts linger in the background, but ths nose is all about the hops.

T - Taste fllows the nose although the juiciness is less prominent. Grapefruit and orange mix with pine and provide a great hop profile. The toasted malts are stronger here and struggle to battle the hops. There's a slight spiciness in the finish.

M - Pretty heavy bodied for an APA. Full bodied with a moderate carbonation. Slightly dry finish on this one.

O - I was super surprised by how good this was. I know it had high marks here, but I needed to experience it to believe it. Really enjoyable beer and I hope to track down a 6-pack in the future.

Alpha King from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 94% out of 100 with 6,501 ratings